Far From Home

Kaizyr

He listened to her words as it dawned on him that in his strange way, what his brother wanted for him was coming true. The boop to his nose brought him back to her attention, catching him by surprise and causing him to rear his head back in surprise. He would playfully swat at her afterwards and shake his head while chuckling.

"If this is truly his aim, I think I might kill him when I find him.. Sure'y there were easier ways to get me our of the Shroud... Besides.. Doesn't explain why he has been gone for so long with no contact... I'm afraid there is going to be more to this story... There.. There may be trouble... I know you offered your help but..." Honi wasn't sure what else he could say. There was a chance of getting mixed in with some bad people trying to uncover the tail of what happened to his older brother. Would Lyra be up to it? Hell he felt guilty enough accepting her help to begin with but he new with a extra set of eyes, they could accomplished much. Still, he needed to hear she was fine with helping and if she wasn't he wouldn't hold it against her. Hell, he would be relieved in a sense.

"As long as it's the good kind of trouble, yeah?"

Lyra hopped to her feet, wincing a bit as she still hadn't fully recovered from today's odd jobs. She wiped her mouth with her dirty sleeve, which served more to stain her sleeve than to clean her face, and placed her hands on her hips. "So! Where we goin', Honi Littleone?"

He couldn't exactly promise good trouble, but they would get into trouble nonetheless. Laughing lightly at her antics, he shook his head and chuckled.

"It's little wolf... And I'm not a kit any more.. Honi will do..." He said, though Honi had to admit there was a smile creeping over his face. "To the desert first thing tomorrow... See if this Lion person worked there as well."

Lyra grimaced for a moment. She had worked hard (in a very streetrat kind of way) to get herself out of Ul'dah. The thought of returning to Thanalan barely a few moons after she had left gave her pause. "Trouble" would definitely be on the menu if they found themselves within reach of the city, be it the good or the bad kind.

She shook off her nerves, cracking her knuckles with a determine smirk. Whatever it was that waited for them, she reiterated her promise to herself: she wasn't going to die in that Twelve-forsaken sandpit. "Right. First thing tomorrow. I think I's got enough gil saved up for an honest passage this time anyway."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The next morning wasn't miserable skies, but clouds had started to roll in. There would be rain again later.

Edited by Kaizyr

Rain would come, hopefully after they disembarked the ferry. Hell, though Honi had a natural affinity for water, he had to admit he was happy to be out of the near constant rain he had experienced lately in Gridania. For someone who's people where known to be more so nocturnal, he was looking forward to the warmth and sun Ul'dah provided. His present company didn't appear to happy however.

"I promise we will not be there to long.. Just enough time to ask questions... And perhaps enough time for me to sneak off to see a friend... She told me she ran a animal clinic and I was hoping to get him checked." Honi pointed at the wolf pup that busied himself by nipping at his boot straps.

The pup had been a new addition Honi had come across and became traveling companies with after rescuing the pup. Thanks to a lack of creativity, Honi had settled on naming him Red, thanks to the red kerchief tied to his neck. He figured if he were planning on taking Red on this hunt for his brother, he should make sure he was in good health. So there was a second reason for his trip.

"But I promise we will not be there too long." He assured her again as he leaned against the railing of the ship. They had yet to cast off and Honi watched the clouds above with curious golden eyes. The prospect of being caught at sea while it was raining was not an entertaining thought.

Despite Honi's assurances, Lyra made no attempt to hide her gloom. She had been slumped over the ship's railing next to her travel companion as he spoke.

"Yeah..." she breathed simply. After a moment, she straightened up. "I'mma check the ship's bow. Back in a bit."

Lyra walked off. But no sooner had she left did a Hyur woman with blonde hair and blue eyes come to join Honi. Her eyes were on Lyra as she walked away, but she directed her words towards Honi: "Your friend looks rather unwell. Does she dread sickness of the sea?"

Honi addressed his new company with no more then a weary glance. He wasn't exactly trusting at times, and though he seemed to take to Lyra, that didn't mean that was his normal response. On the contrary, he was more liable to squint his eyes as he took full measure of the person who addressed him, looking them over with golden colored eyes before passing silent judgement. Perhaps it was cat thing.

"Not to sure... I don't think it's fear of sailing though." Honi said as she stalked off. He was beginning to regret taking her up on her offer and already formulating a plan to make it up to her. Booze or food more then likely.

The woman noted his reaction to her presence with an amused smile. With an air of well-practiced grace, she brushed a section of her golden locks behind her ear and turned to face him directly.

"I take it you don't take kindly to strangers." She held out a hand in greeting. "Marcella Rose. To whom do I have the pleasure of meeting?"

Marcella seemed friendly enough. And with Lyra having wandered off, there didn't seem to be anyone else to interact with at present. The sailors bustled about their business, shouting to each other to hurry it up, that they'd be shoving off soon, and that it looked like rain on the horizon.

"More friendly then I should be at times..." He sighed before turning to face her, his golden eyes taking measure of the woman who spoke to him. "Honi... My name." The Miqo'te offered in ways of a rough introduction.

He didn't mean to seem rude but he had learned to be weary of people. Better safe then sorry was a saying he was believing in more and more with each passing day. Still, he was on a ship and there were but so many places one could go, so he suppose talking to someone other then Lyra was bound to happen.

"My apologies for my... Tone... I'm somewhat... New to all this." Which was the truth, to a certain degree.

Marcella withdrew her hand, seeing that Honi wasn't going to shake it. There might have briefly been the barest trace of miff on her face, but it could easily just have been the seagull's shadow that passed over her face. When she spoke again, there was just the same smile as before with well-practiced composure.

"Honi, is it? Pray tell, what brings you to ferry yourself to Thanalan this day?" She looked over her shoulder in the general direction of where Lyra walked off. "Are you helping your companion with something?"

Refusing to shake her hand was a small tactic Honi had learned and it afforded him a chance to read the woman's reaction. He remained collected and calm as he saw her push through though the small moment to follow through with a question. Though innocent it was rather intimate, given the fact she just met him.

"Forgive me... I was hunting this morning and though I've washed my hands, I'd hate to have the smell of beast blood and animal hide transfer to you." He offered an excuse wrapped up in a apology. "I've heard there are many tasks for a adventurer such of myself to look into... She's just showing me around." 

He figured that at this pointed, he needn't pass on more information then he had to. Off +in a thin smile, he made the briefest moments, his golden eyes large and wide, before he looked past her for Lyra. Where had she run off to?

"Ah! Wonderful!" Marcella chimed. "Eorzea is a vast realm, indeed. Truly an adventurer's heaven. Have you been to Thanalan before? That is our destination, after all."

The ship's bell tolled, signaling their departure. The crew hollered at each other their orders, weighing anchor, hoisting the sails, making sure no straggler was rushing up the gangplank as they shoved off. The ship creaked and groaned as it left port, waves crashing against it and helping it along.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Towards the bow of the ship, Lyra slumped against the guard rail, looking out over the sea. When she had left the desert en route to Limsa, the vast blue felt liberating--even as she hid herself to elude official eyes. This time, however, it was hardly comforting. Perhaps it was seasickness. But she doubted it.

"First time heading to Thanalan I must say.. I hear it is hot." He attempted a joke as Marcella had his attention now it would seem. It was clear she wasn't going to leave him be and so Honi figured he should poke back himself. "Travel there much on business?"

Honi leaned against the rail though in truth it was more along the lines of bracing himself. He was still getting use to travel it seemed though he tried his best to hide this fact.

"On the contrary, Master Honi," Marcella said, holding up a finger in matter-of-fact fashion. "I hail from Thanalan. I am merely returning home, you see. Adventuring can become such a chore if you do it too much."

She flashed a sweetened smile. "Sometimes there simply is, as they say, 'No place like home'."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Someone approached, heavy footfalls announcing his presence.

"Hey there, boy."

Instinctively, Lyra looked over her shoulder, a vastly disinterested look on her face. Because of her genes, and because she didn't wear makeup, too many people often mistook her for a male. It wasn't an unwelcome mistake, in her mind. Of course, the moment they saw the endowment upon her midsection, said people immediately changed their minds--much like this gruff-looking man now before her, as she turned from the railing to face him with arms akimbo.

"Ohhh, a girl! That's even better!" The man smiled with his bad teeth. "Wanna play?"

Lyra leered.

"Then you mustn't have stayed long in the Shroud... Thunderstorms are constant as are the swarms of insects." He joked regarding his homeland though beneath the surface of his relaxing demeanor, he was being cautious and gleaming as much information from her as possible.

"I am excited to see your homeland however... However I am not sure how I might fair in such bright and sunny conditions... My people tend to be more active at night... Question... Mistress Marcella." He chose to use a similar honorific. "Do you often make it a habit to approach strangers? I've been advised against doing so constantly... Afraid My naivety of the world has gotten me into trouble from time to time."

Though he spoke in a calm manner, his tail swayed back and forth with a nervous energy. Where had Lyra stalked off too?!?

"Ah, you are a Keeper then?" Marcella looks at him curiously. "Forgive me, I was of the impression that Keepers tended to have skin of ash, or some other shade of gray. On the other hand, you seem quite Hyur-skinned."

She brought her hand to her mouth and laughed pleasantly behind it. "Master Honi, should you wish to be an adventurer, you will encounter many an individual whom you do not know. If you are to do business, how then will such a mindset befit you?"

With that question lingering Marcella walked off to another part of the ship, leaving Honi to wonder where Lyra had gone. If he listened closely, however, his cat-like ears would pick up the faint sounds of hooting and hollering below deck.

He was begin to explain away his sepia skin tone, as his family line had been long, however she went on to chastising him about his weariness. Honi found himself torn between a catty remark or accepting the advise when Marcella parted ways. He was left with a quizzical look upon his face before he called out to her.

"Mistress Marcella... I'll take this lesson to heart..."

It seemed despite how stand offish his general attitude had been, he at least learned something from the encounter. Now, it was time for him to learn more. Specifically, his travels companion unmistakable knack for getting into trouble perhaps? Looking past the fellow adventurer he just encounter, Honi was searching the crowded deck when those cat ears caught the faintest whisper of excited shouts upon the sea breeze. Following it, the hooting and hollering grew louder and Honi had no idea what he would find once he located it's source.

The raucous noise led below deck. Fewer and fewer passengers would be present, and eventually only gruff-looking sailors would populate the immediate area. It's as if this part of the ship was to be off-limits to civilians, though the crewmen that flashed Honi dangerous leers wouldn't shoo him away. In fact, some sailors would even grin with their bad teeth and, well, cat-call him in one way or another.

"You come to play too, kitty-boy?"

"Wouldn't mind seeing how a Miqo'te plays around."

"Better keep those pretty eyes open."

If Honi was brave enough to continue, he would eventually come to the source of the loudest ruckus. Ahead, he would see the crew's galley, silhouettes of buff and dangerous-looking sailors seeming intimidatingly large against the candlelight backdrop. They were crowded around in what must have been a circle, their imposing figures blocking Honi from seeing anything else further within the room.

Cackling laughter. "Oooh! She's a feisty one!"

Gruff sneering. "Where you think you're going, eh little missy?"

Among the voices, however, he would be able to make out Lyra's voice. "I'mma make ya regret this."

Edited by Kaizyr

Honi did not engage and instead adopted a weary expression on his face as he ventured deeper. His ears twitched, working overtime to take in the various collection of sounds that assaulted him. He was painfully away of the looks he was given as he ventured forth but he didn't show how nervous he felt and instead steeled his emotions and continued on. Lyra was here and judging from what was being said, he had a good idea on what was going on.

Honi wasn't aware when it happened, but as he continued on he balled his hands into tight fits. "Lyra!" He called out to her hoping to hear a response.

One of the Roegadyn sailors heard Honi behind her and looked over her shoulder. "Eh? What're you doing down here; this area's off limits to civilians--"

As she spoke, she moved out of the way juuuuust enough for Honi to see what was going on. And to see the final slap-down.

"HA!" Lyra bellowed. "EAT THIS!"

And she slapped it down--her final card on the Triple Triad board. As she did, the entire crew spectating within the galley broke out into a chorus of defeated noises--wailing, cries of disbelief, baffled hollering and curses.

"Bleeding hells!"

"Tarp, she wiped the deck with ya!"

"You lost to a bleeding newbie, you lout!"

The Roegadyn sailor that had moved out of the way turned back and smacked her fellow crewman upside the back of his head. "Tarp, you idiot! You knew that card wasn't played yet!"

Lyra sat back, kicking her boots up onto the table and resting her head on her crossed arms behind her, a pleased grin on her face. "And that's three games for me."

Edited by Kaizyr

Honi's face twisted from that of determination to reach his companion to that of confusion. Judging the gathered rough looking crowded coupled with the hooting and hollering, he thought he would happen upon a fight. The card game caught him totally unaware and he stood there dumbfounded as he finished pushing through he crowd to offer aid. It was quiet clear by how he appeared in front of her, he was ready for a tussle and heavens how silly he must have appeared before everyone there.

"What's going on?" He asked in a meek voice, embarrassment settling in for having rush to a conclusion so fast. It seemed that Lyra didn't need help at all and was enjoying herself.

Lyra looks over by the doorway to see Honi standing there looking exasperated and ready to pounce on someone. She blinks in surprise, then flashes a bright grin and waves at him. "Heyyyy, Honi! Ya just missed the big-aft finale where I swabbed the deck these suckers!"

Her card game opponent, the sailor named Tarp, was busy pulling at his hair in bewilderment. "I thought you says you was new at this game! I ain't never, ever seen a newbie catch on to Triple Triad this quick!"

Lyra shrugged with a smug indifference. "Reckon ya can chalk it up to beginner's luck or somethin' like that. Now, a deal's a deal. Y're gonna find yourself out that way sometime soon anyway, yeah? So..." She holds out her hand, a rather shite-eating grin on her face. "...Friends?"

Tarp looked at her hand warily. After a moment, he heaved a big sigh and shook it, getting some rough-like cheering-on and claps on the shoulder from his fellow sailors for being a good sport. Lyra stood up and turned to Honi, still looking quite pleased with herself. The crew of sailors around them began to disperse and return to business-as-usual.

Edited by Kaizyr

Honi stood there as sailors walked past him a look of utter confusion still worn on his face.  She had sneaked off to play a round of cards and there seemed there was something promised to the winner. He wanted to question her but realized that was not his place. If she wanted to share, he would leave it to her. One thing she told him before resonated with him however and he managed a small smile as she looked to him.

"Good kind of trouble I take it...." He crossed his arms over his chest as the worry finally seemed to leave his shoulders and he motioned with his head for them to head above deck. "Does this ferry have food?"

"Always." Lyra boops him on the nose playfully as she brushes past him to leave the sailors' galley. "And a-course it's got food. Just a matter-a where to find it."

She walks with him back to the upper levels of the ferry, where there are fellow passengers mingling about. From the sound of the planks above them, and by the amount the ship was rocking to and fro, it seemed as if it had begun to rain outside. It was getting rather crowded below deck.

"Were ya lookin' for me all this time?" She laughed. "Sorry about that. All truth told, I reckoned I found myself in the not-so-good kinda trouble... til the crew busted out their card decks. Yer past hour or so mostly uneventful, then?"

She booped him, a favored response from her it would seem, and he simply reared his head back and offered a small grin. Falling in line with her, he kept pace as they moved to the upper decks. It should not have come as a surprise to her that the mentioning of food had taken place, as Honi had proven to have a appetite. He believed it was just his duty to sample food from the world over.

Thoughts of dining pushed aside, he listened to her apology and accepted it with a simple nod before she went and asked him what he had been up to. He thought back to his odd encounter with the adventurer. "Nothing much happened... Spoke with a Hyur woman about adventuring.. She mentioned I may be rather skittish in a sense... I suppose I wasn't the most trusting with her."