Leezil

Plans when the new expansion hits?

Roleplayers of FFXIV, what do you plan to do once the expansion drops? What have you done in the past?

I'm curious if folks focus on finishing the MSQ before roleplaying, try to roleplay through it, etc!

Most people seem to acknowledge the MSQ one patch behind current.  So, they wouldn't make mention of the most recent developments in the patch from last week, but might know about the events prior to that.

I generally keep RPing, as my RP doesn't depend on what goes on with the MSQ.  But, it depends.  This time I may run straight through the MSQ because I have a raid character to get leveled.

6 hours ago, Leezil said:

Roleplayers of FFXIV, what do you plan to do once the expansion drops? What have you done in the past?

I'm curious if folks focus on finishing the MSQ before roleplaying, try to roleplay through it, etc!

Pre-Stormblood: DMed a campaign through the Palace of the Dead, greatly influenced player characters and some of their life choices.

At Stormblood launch: RPed through the liberation of Ala Mhigo with friends, brought closure to their Ala Mhigan toons. Despite his heritage, didn't affect my main as much, since his clan was more independent and wary of governments / rulers instead of nationalistic. We had a lot more fun focus on IC Azim Steppe shenanigans and later Doma's reconstruction.

At Shadowbringers launch: going to RP traveling through the first world, solving first world problems, and fighting Sin Eaters. In the Regalia. DMing again for a few friends. Depending on how the plot turns out, they may meet their first world counterparts sooner or later, and potentially learn to shun both Light extremism and Dark extremism.

12 hours ago, Kieron Lohengrin said:

Pre-Stormblood: DMed a campaign through the Palace of the Dead, greatly influenced player characters and some of their life choices.

At Stormblood launch: RPed through the liberation of Ala Mhigo with friends, brought closure to their Ala Mhigan toons. Despite his heritage, didn't affect my main as much, since his clan was more independent and wary of governments / rulers instead of nationalistic. We had a lot more fun focus on IC Azim Steppe shenanigans and later Doma's reconstruction.

At Shadowbringers launch: going to RP traveling through the first world, solving first world problems, and fighting Sin Eaters. In the Regalia. DMing again for a few friends. Depending on how the plot turns out, they may meet their first world counterparts sooner or later, and potentially learn to shun both Light extremism and Dark extremism.

This was interesting, thanks for the feedback! Didn't realize people did DMing even on MMO RP. I come from a background of NWN2/NWN1 DM'd RP, so maybe I'll have to keep my eye out for that. It does seem like great fodder for some DMing, even without having a character be part of the MSQ.

Also:

At Shadowbringers launch: going to RP traveling through the first world, solving first world problems

I giggled.

15 hours ago, LiadansWhisper said:

Most people seem to acknowledge the MSQ one patch behind current.  So, they wouldn't make mention of the most recent developments in the patch from last week, but might know about the events prior to that.

I generally keep RPing, as my RP doesn't depend on what goes on with the MSQ.  But, it depends.  This time I may run straight through the MSQ because I have a raid character to get leveled.

Interesting...thank you! I wonder how careful I'll need to be of that if I play a character that's native to and RPed in the First....

3 minutes ago, Leezil said:

This was interesting, thanks for the feedback! Didn't realize people did DMing even on MMO RP. I come from a background of NWN2/NWN1 DM'd RP, so maybe I'll have to keep my eye out for that. It does seem like great fodder for some DMing, even without having a character be part of the MSQ.

There's actually a whole group called Roll Eorzea who participate in DM'd storylines with character sheets and everything.  If you're on Balmung, I highly recommend them. :)

3 minutes ago, Leezil said:

Interesting...thank you! I wonder how careful I'll need to be of that if I play a character that's native to and RPed in the First....

Realistically?  Pretty careful. I say this because some people really enjoy tearing other people's concepts apart, while others freak out over the smallest thing.  You have only to look at the Tomestone Cellphone Debacle to see that in action. lol

1 hour ago, LiadansWhisper said:

There's actually a whole group called Roll Eorzea who participate in DM'd storylines with character sheets and everything.  If you're on Balmung, I highly recommend them. :)

Realistically?  Pretty careful. I say this because some people really enjoy tearing other people's concepts apart, while others freak out over the smallest thing.  You have only to look at the Tomestone Cellphone Debacle to see that in action. lol

Thank you for the recommendation!

Hm...I mean, I'm all for not supporting really "special" character concepts and leaving that for the NPCs, but it stands to reason that the people on the First exist and interact as well? I got interested in the idea due to another thread discussing it. I figure one thing to be careful of is not to have the character RP as crossing over into the Source, unless the lore introduces some way for everyone to do it. Most likely such a character would simply have to remain in the First 24/7, in terms of the RP.

1 hour ago, Leezil said:

I figure one thing to be careful of is not to have the character RP as crossing over into the Source

At this point, we don't know yet. It'll be best to play through the MSQ at minimum once it hits, but XIV also has a habit of hiding its canon lore behind side content. For example, the true nature of the Void and Voidsent in the Warring Triad raid series, or the possibility of creating an entirely new Mothercrystal in Eureka, or, more humorously, Padjals struggling to contain Yo-kai spirits.

Going into Shadowbringers, one thing we know for certain is that per the end of his Kugane questline,

Spoiler

Hildibrand, Nashu, and Greg are all ripped through time and space, and are heavily implied to have already traveled ahead of us into Norvrandt / the first world. Which implies that they'll also have to find a way back eventually to Eorzea, setting potential precedent for an answer to your question.

1 hour ago, Kieron Lohengrin said:

At this point, we don't know yet. It'll be best to play through the MSQ at minimum once it hits, but XIV also has a habit of hiding its canon lore behind side content. For example, the true nature of the Void and Voidsent in the Warring Triad raid series, or the possibility of creating an entirely new Mothercrystal in Eureka, or, more humorously, Padjals struggling to contain Yo-kai spirits.

Very true. I guess I should say more...how common or viable it is for the average person.

I'm hoping to have my New characters BLM at 70, Alchemy maxed out, and to have my Madame Ravenscrye's Alchemiac Magic Menagerie & Emporium opened on Maetus.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:40 PM, Kieron Lohengrin said:

the possibility of creating an entirely new Mothercrystal in Eureka,

Could you elaborate a bit more on this please? I'm genuinely curious,  but I find eureka about as fun as getting teeth pulled.

Actually on topic: do MSQ in between mooching off my tank friends to level dancer, try to figure out if there's a lore friendly explanation for my non-echo characters to go to the first (the new zones look so pretty,  it would be a shame to not rp there).

It was revealed in Galuf's library two months ago, for players who reached elemental level 60. You didn't even need to defeat Provenance Watcher, just complete the story

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Kieron Lohengrin said:

It was revealed in Galuf's library two months ago, for players who reached elemental level 60. You didn't even need to defeat Provenance Watcher, just complete the story

Yes, BUT....

Spoiler

That would end up basically ending the world and restarting it.  aka Reorigination like Alagan wanted to do to Azeroth. lol.

Edited by LiadansWhisper

My plans are to definitely ditch most RP and move over to EU where I can play comfortably.

This time around.. probably focus on the MSQ first and unlocking /gearing. Swapped to a lower pop server as far as rp goes so no real rush on my end to detail out anything. after getting to level cap I'll likely focus my gathering classes and then worry about any rp plans I may end up with. I know this time around I'm swapping my character's race and gender so least once I get to a point where I can work on rp details I'll have a fresh slate too work with.

Posted (edited)

On the RP side, no real set plans yet. Much will depend on what actually happens in Shadowbringers. Otherwise, I'll be playing through the MSQ, getting gear, etc.

I do know I'll be trying the new classes. Dancer will be easy to justify for one character. Gunner may take a little creativity, but I'll figure out a good reason why my paladin is now carting around a boom sword.

Edited by Tregarde