New here, new to RP and in need of lore/background help

Hello there! I’m Hakha, How’s everyone doing? Hope to get along with the ones that deserve it ahahahaha.

I’m a fairly new Rper in general and extremely new to FFXIV RP, I got some past experiences role playing in Tera, Blade and Soul, DND, Conan exiles, GTA(before it was cool) and even in DayZ. Except for DND, Conan/GTA(same guys) that I’m still in contact with, none took more than one month unfortunately, either I got into a bad group or joined at a bad time. Got some bad experiences with RPing but still I’m always willing to give another shot, RPing is something super fun to do when you find good people to do it with, seeing character growth happening, being it yours or someone else’s, is a kind of happiness only few other things can provide.

My knowledge of the lore is little to none, and I wanted to dive into the RP as soon as possible, I don’t have much free time so completing all the MSQ, heavensward, stormblood would take too much time and I would only be able to RP in a couple months from now xD.

But for the RP ASAP to happen I would like to make a background first, and that leads to my question (this may be a little long sorry):

I’ve researched the interwebs to look for the history behind Garlemald, from what I know the Eorzea invasion near Mor Dhona happened six-years ago, would that be right? I’m thinking of making a cohort member from that invasion, I felt that a background involving “redemption” would be cool. Never done it before and could lead to an interesting conversation/reaction from others. So, what are the know places that were conquered by Garlemald besides Ala Mhigo and Doma (already looked into those two)? Would be ok to create a new empire/city that was also conquered even though it would never show up in the game? I know they use brainwashed conquered natives as conscripts with promises to become full-fledged citizens of Garlemald, sadly I can’t go with I’m from main place Garlemald because it would imply my character can’t use magic right? Having to explain every time something like “oh I’m using ceruleum device” would become tiresome fast, I don’t want to limit my job choices.

Now I know I’m hardly the first one that did this “garlean” background, so have you met others? Is this an overused thing? If you are one that did it too... have any tips xD?

Edited by Hakha
46 minutes ago, Hakha said:

10 minutes ago, Hakha said:

I’ve researched the interwebs to look for the history behind Garlemald, from what I know the Eorzea invasion near Mor Dhona happened six-years ago, would that be right? I’m thinking of making a cohort member from that invasion, I felt that a background involving “redemption” would be cool. Never done it before and could lead to an interesting conversation/reaction from others.

Garlemald started its conquest of other nations 55-56 years ago-ish. (Edit: See Sounsyy's post below mine for more detail on what they were up to before that). Timelines are funky depending on if we're talking about the start of the 2.0 MSQ, or trying to account for how much time has passed "since then." For some quick timelines for things you may see referenced in the game (Astral/Umbral Eras and what they mean, events leading up to 2.0, NPC filler text) you can find some good timelines from the GamerEscape site.

The Garlean Empire officially started conquests in 1515 of the 6th Astral Era, which ended on its 1572nd year. Followed by 5 years of the 7th Umbral Era. And for most players, we're to believe we're somewhere in the 1st or 2nd year of the 7th Astral Era now. However, most NPCs will still cite text like "Garlemald fell to the Garleans 20 years ago" which would imply either 5th 7UE or 1st 7AE since these are eras and not exactly calendar years and we don't have a hard set date of what moon (month equivalent) that transition happened.

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Loremonger:Timeline

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Sixth_Astral_Era/Timeline

So, what are the know places that were conquered by Garlemald besides Ala Mhigo and Doma (already looked into those two)? Would be ok to create a new empire/city that was also conquered even though it would never show up in the game? 

Pretty much all of the nations on Ilsabard, many of which we don't have names for just yet. Then they spread to the continent of Othard, which is where Doma is. Then they started heading west, which is where they ran into Ala Mhigo.

I would generally advise against creating an entire empire/country/civilization, but something like a small town, village, or island is something most people would probably be ok with handwaving. The RPer population on FFXIV is pretty diverse and you'll find a LOT of differing opinions on lore strictness, high/low fantasy, power levls, and amount of headcanon in use. What may not work for one group may work for another, etc.

I know they use brainwashed conquered natives as conscripts with promises to become full-fledged citizens of Garlemald, sadly I can’t go with I’m from main place Garlemald because it would imply my character can’t use magic right? Having to explain every time something like “oh I’m using ceruleum device” would become tiresome fast, I don’t want to limit my job choices.

Conscripts are brainwashed so much as they're purposely relocated to fight somewhere that isn't their home country. The promises to become a proper citizen -can- happen, but given how long the service is, you wouldn't really see that happening for most people outside of the military and associated research. It's important to note that only pureblooded garleans are affected by the genetic whatever that prevents the vast majority of them from being able to manipulate aether (broader than just casting magic), which is why the empire began to lead more on technology. However, the first lorebook does go on to state that there are a small population of garleans who can cast, but you're probably better off going the conscript route here, personally.

Now I know I’m hardly the first one that did this “garlean” background, so have you met others? Is this an overused thing? If you are one that did it too... have any tips xD?

There are quite a number of Garlean players! Mostly on Balmung and Mateus. As a former garlean RPer, I'd recommend not going full comic-book-villain-evil as there's a lot of nuace and political play with the Garlean Empire, which you'll see as the MSQ develops. (Mostly in 4.0). And a few cautionary words that you'll likely get pigeon-holed into villain roles if your character is openly praising the empire and its efforts.

1 hour ago, Hakha said:

I’ve researched the interwebs to look for the history behind Garlemald, from what I know the Eorzea invasion near Mor Dhona happened six-years ago, would that be right? I’m thinking of making a cohort member from that invasion, I felt that a background involving “redemption” would be cool. Never done it before and could lead to an interesting conversation/reaction from others. So, what are the know places that were conquered by Garlemald besides Ala Mhigo and Doma (already looked into those two)? Would be ok to create a new empire/city that was also conquered even though it would never show up in the game? I know they use brainwashed conquered natives as conscripts with promises to become full-fledged citizens of Garlemald, sadly I can’t go with I’m from main place Garlemald because it would imply my character can’t use magic right? Having to explain every time something like “oh I’m using ceruleum device” would become tiresome fast, I don’t want to limit my job choices.

Welcome to Hydaelyn and the RPC, Hakha! Sadly I haven't gotten around to a full Garlemald lore post yet, but I do have a Garlean timeline that should be helpful and answer a lot of questions! 

A Timeline of the Garlean Invasion

Let me quickly answer some of your questions though!

1 hour ago, Hakha said:

So, what are the know places that were conquered by Garlemald besides Ala Mhigo and Doma (already looked into those two)?

Garlemald began its invasion of northern Ilsabard (the northernmost of the Three Great Continents (map by Rommy)) in the year 1515 (62 years ago). Nhalmasque is the only other named Ilsabardian city that we know of so far, and it was conquered in 1517. By 1522, all of Ilsabard is under Garlean rule. This is when the Garlean Republic becomes the Garlean Empire. (55 years ago)

After that, the Garlean Empire invades Othard, the eastern continent (also known as the Far East). Bozja, Dalmasca, Doma, and Hingashi are the four nations that once made up the Far East. We don't know when Bozja was toppled, but Dalmasca fell to the Empire 30 years ago. Nagxia fell 27 years ago. Doma fell 25 years ago. And Hingashi surrendered not long after. Bozja was later obliterated by Meteor Project in 1562 (15 years ago), Dalmasca was recently razed in the MSQ, and Doma was razed during A Realm Reborn (~1 year ago). 

After Othard fell and its territories were annexed, the Empire then moved to Aldenard/Eorzea and soon after Ala Mhigo fell under Imperial control in 1557 (20 years ago).

1 hour ago, Hakha said:

Would be ok to create a new empire/city that was also conquered even though it would never show up in the game?

No problem with this! There's plenty of places - villages, towns, settlements, etc - in Ilsabard and Othard that exist but aren't on the map. Some Garlean NPCs do reference coming from small towns like this that are under Imperial control and suffer Imperial rule, but it's never said where these towns are or what their names are. So feel free to come up with your own! (Probably want to avoid something as big as an empire, but city/town/village/etc should be fine!)

1 hour ago, Hakha said:

I can’t go with I’m from main place Garlemald because it would imply my character can’t use magic right?

Only "pureblood" Garleans (those with the third eye on their foreheads) are unable to manipulate aether into magic! But there's plenty of other races, conscript or native, living in Garlemald, the Imperial capital, that are of other races that can use magic. Also those with mixed ancestry (half Garlean and half another race, for example) will not have the third eye, and can use magic.

Hope this helps! There's plenty of Garlean RPers out there, you just have to go looking!

Edited by Sounsyy

Oh nice! I wasn’t expecting such rich and quick replies, thanks guys! Will look into that timeline page when I’m back home later today.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Mercenary said:

Garlemald started its conquest of other nations 55-56 years ago-ish. (Edit: See Sounsyy's post below mine for more detail on what they were up to before that). Timelines are funky depending on if we're talking about the start of the 2.0 MSQ, or trying to account for how much time has passed "since then." For some quick timelines for things you may see referenced in the game (Astral/Umbral Eras and what they mean, events leading up to 2.0, NPC filler text) you can find some good timelines from the GamerEscape site.

The timeline question was about what happened in the invasion with Gaius on the A Realm Reborn quests, someone told me that in the current stormblood time it happened 6 years ago. I will check the GamerEscape site and the links you sent later today too. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Mercenary said:

There are quite a number of Garlean players! Mostly on Balmung and Mateus. As a former garlean RPer, I'd recommend not going full comic-book-villain-evil as there's a lot of nuace and political play with the Garlean Empire, which you'll see as the MSQ develops. (Mostly in 4.0). And a few cautionary words that you'll likely get pigeon-holed into villain roles if your character is openly praising the empire and its efforts.

I’m not doing a villain don’t worry, but thanks for the advice. My plans was doing him brainwashed by the “beast man & primals - they are the enemy” propaganda, but still trying to help the conquered people if he could. Comparing the empire to Star Wars, he would be like Fynn.

2 hours ago, Sounsyy said:

After that, the Garlean Empire invades Othard, the eastern continent (also known as the Far East). Bozja, Dalmasca, Doma, and Hingashi are the four nations that once made up the Far East. We don't know when Bozja was toppled, but Dalmasca fell to the Empire 30 years ago. Nagxia fell 27 years ago. Doma fell 25 years ago. And Hingashi surrendered not long after. Bozja was later obliterated by Meteor Project in 1562 (15 years ago), Dalmasca was recently razed in the MSQ, and Doma was razed during A Realm Reborn (~1 year ago).

I’m on cellphone can’t see the map well, those places by name I would assume they are like Asia right? I know dalmasca from XII. We do have something similar to Europe on the maps?

2 hours ago, Sounsyy said:

Only "pureblood" Garleans (those with the third eye on their foreheads) are unable to manipulate aether into magic! But there's plenty of other races, conscript or native, living in Garlemald, the Imperial capital, that are of other races that can use magic. Also those with mixed ancestry (half Garlean and half another race, for example) will not have the third eye, and can use magic.

Oh I didn’t know the forehead stone that Nero had meant the  third eye pure blood thing, thanks for the info on that all of you too... I can do a half breed and choose any race then.

you helped a lot 

3 minutes ago, Hakha said:

The timeline question was about what happened in the invasion with Gaius on the A Realm Reborn quests, someone told me that in the current stormblood time it happened 6 years ago. I will check the GamerEscape site and the links you sent later today too. Thank you.

This lines up. Gaius technically had multiple invasions, one of which was ~6 years ago (the start of 1.0). Gaius was also responsible for Ala Mhigo's fall by using propaganda. (As opposed to just....slaughtering everyone). 

5 minutes ago, Hakha said:

I’m on cellphone can’t see the map well, those places by name I would assume they are like Asia right? I know dalmasca from XII. We do have something similar to Europe on the maps?

The Dalmasca from XII/Tactics and XIV have a lot of similarities, but aren't exactly the same same. (They've been re-imagined to fit within FFXIV and you'll see this in the 4.0 Ivalice raids the most and we're due for some more in 5.0).

Othard has a lot of Asia-inspired themes and countries, but the other continents aren't quite as separated. Ala Mhigo is like a cross between Scottish people and Tibet. Eorzean countries would probably be the closest thing to European/Western themes. Ul'dah is ruled by a Sultan/Sultana with knights dating back several hundred years. Limsa was founded by pirates. Ishgard has a lot of French/Christian themes and cites multiple clergy terms.

We also have things like "The New World," a continent without much more of a name discovered recently with a lot of Native American themes. It isn't accessible currently, but we have people/beast tribes from there who've come over.

11 minutes ago, Hakha said:

Oh I didn’t know the forehead stone that Nero had meant the  third eye pure blood thing, thanks for the info on that all of you too... I can do a half breed and choose any race then.

This one's visually tricky. The Garlean third eye is considered a working eye in all aspects, despite its lack of eyelid and pupils. We're not really sure how they see, just that they do. You can find one on all pure-blooded Garleans, like Cid, Nero, and other Garlean NPCs I'll hold off on spoiling. So far, we've only seen/heard of Hyur/Garlean mixed race children, but seeing how Elezen, Hyur, Lalafell, Miqo'te, and Roegadyn are all capable of having mixed-race children in any combo (we'll ignore certain...logistics), there could be a half-Garlean combination without too much of a stretch. Or no Garlean blood at all. Garlemald considers the people of its conquered lands its people too, regardless of their rights or treatment. (This is touched on in 4.0 MSQ). As you've likely seen around Mor Dhona, there are plenty of magic-casting garlean enemies. (No whether they believe in the empire or are just being forced to fight is their own story.)