[Crystal] Gridanian Agent Looking for Criminal FCs and Recurring Enemies

Hey everyone. Hathaway Snow is a young male Miqo’te who has established himself as a fairly competent Adventurer and officer in the Twin Adder. He’s also a former prostitute who has rubbed shoulders with numerous people who aren’t very nice. For Shadowbringers, I wanted to take that experience and refocus him towards an ambitious idea: infiltrating criminal organizations with the intent of disrupting them from within.

If this sounds like it’d be really hard, you’d be right. Looking through the Encyclopedia Eorzea, there’s a very small mention of the Red Otters, a unit of the Twin Adder only described as an “elite combat unit that draws select lancers, archers, and conjurers.” I expanded upon that idea, and in a short story that you can read here, portrayed the Red Otters as a basically defunct branch whose members may or may not exist, like a special operations group that has no official support from the home state. I imagined that this would give agents the freedom to make hard decisions, but also leave them on their own if they got caught/beat up/killed/etc.

To that end, I’d like to position Hathaway as a recurring good guy to your bad guy. The Sherlock Holmes to your Moriarty, the Captain America to your Hydra, the Inspector Zenigata to your Lupin III, and so on.

Keep in mind that the point is not necessarily for Hathaway to succeed at arresting your character or destroying your organization (although I’d be flattered if you wanted to incorporate a stint in jail into your character’s development). By design, the chips are stacked against him, and he has no jurisdiction to, say, have a horde of law enforcement bust down your doors. But I wanted to create long-term scenarios where he’d have to join your organization and maintain his cover, waiting for the moment to strike. Or be one step behind your character as they attempt heists/assassinations/piracy/etc. There’s a lot of options!

Breaking it down:

• Criminal Free Companies/Organizations: Hathaway ideally would like to target the “worst of the worst,” so in terms of limits everything is on the table. If your character is a member or the leader of a criminal enterprise, big or small, and you need an adversary, look no further. This might be best for “long con” scenes, or perhaps Hathaway eventually gets caught, leading to tense interrogations. Getting an entire FC to agree to a storyline like this would be amazing.

• Independent Types: Serial killers, master thieves, and the like. People who operate alone and maybe at random. Think lots of chases and fights.

• Others: If you have a different idea, or if you like the hook but aren’t sure if your character will work, let me know! I realize this idea might take some coordination and discussion beforehand.

I’ve ran this idea in a few scenes with some friends in-game, and the most common feedback I’ve gotten is it’s “very ambitious.” But I figure people are hungry for long-term storylines, conflicts, fights, and so on.

Contact Info: I lurk on Discord practically 24/7, so that’s the easiest way to contact me, at Hathaway Snow#9472. You can also ask questions right here in this thread, of course, or you can shoot me a private message. I'm also available in game as Hathaway Snow on Balmung (and by extension, the entire Crystal data center). I'm also looking for an FC of my own too!

Edited by Hathaway's Flash
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...