Experienced Rper and Commission Artist (New to FFXIV)

Palae

Hello everyone. I’m known as Pali, outside the MMO Rp communities. I have a vast history with the RP scene. I’ve been involved with the Whitewolf Universe, DnD (TSR), Starwars, Marvel, Cyberpunk, even 40k. I was introduced to the MMO gaming community in 2002, when I was working with Paradox Industries, independent game code developers. I was a 3d artist and graphic designer. I did little code work but dabbled in debugging. However, we got the opportunity to volunteer our services (my services) to Blizzard. Where I got my taste of MMO gaming. Needless to say a group of us created a vast arc (story), that is still currently running to this day inside the World of Warcraft Universe. The RP Arc is going on 15 years of progression.

That brings me to why I am here. I was curious enough to expand my resources and knowledge of MMO RP. In other words, I was coaxed into trying out something new. *Laughs heavily as I type this.*

My roommate and very close companion, known as Ereden Khan on Metaus, seduced me into trying it out. I was watching her play the game. It was the design and environment that caught my attention.

Needless to say, I have purchased the game. I’m in love with the environment and gameplay. I’m also looking forward to getting to know more about the RP Community and Lore. So, any tips would be welcomed. I’m very open minded and creative when it comes to working and developing Lore based personas. However, I’m not afraid to go outa the box, as long as it’s idealistically possible within the FFXIV universe.

Now I have given you a bit of my RP background, respectively, I can tell you a bit more about my talent in 3d art. I started drawing when I was about 6, and of course educated myself from there. Over my high school years, I was one of two designers who developed the mural on the marching band truck. Albuquerque’s Del Norte Phantom Knights. That was in 1992-93. From there I took up 3d design, and was introduced to Photoshop. I self taught Lightwave, 3DS Max, Poser and Blender. In 1999 I was introduced to Shawn, CEO of Paradox Industries through a good friend. He was quick to snatch me up for his 3d model and texturing designer. In 2009 or so I lost contact with my old crew. I also have no idea what became of Paradox. Anyway, I continued using my skill as a 3d artist to create commissions for RP Communities. It’s merely a hobby, but it’s one I truly enjoy.

Well, I do hope to learn more about FF and become a part of a growing RP Community. I know some basics, naming Lore to the races available. Some backgrounds like tribe/clan differences. But there is SO much more to learn. Here are a couple of the persona’s I plan on building. Starting with my Main.

Name: Le’daren Draech ( Le-Daren Drake)

Race: Miqo’te ( Yes, his name is not race accurate due to “who” raised him. If anyone is curious on this please speak with me. I would like to make sure it’s reasonable development.)

Sex: Male

Class/Job: Thamaturge/Black Mage

Alignment: Neutral Good

Daren is currently my main and most developed character.

Name: Y'kei Katsueki'noun (Yah-khy Blooddawn "Noun") He's taken a last name not of his tribe due to events that have him hiding his true name.

Race: Au Ra

Class/Job: Lancer

Alignment: Neutral Evil

More will be developed on him as I learn more.

Name: Ei’kher (I-keer) Kharuul (Cruel)

Race: Au Ra

Class/Job: Arcanist

Alignment: Neutral

Concept Persona.

Name: Khaskade 

Race: Roegadyn

Sex: Female

Class/Job: Lancer (Survivalist)

Lastly, a character developed of my own personality. She is still under development as well.

Anyroad! *Smirkyface* I do hope to meet with some of you, even if you are on a different realm. Until then "May you walk in the light of the crystal."

Edited by Pali

Though I'm new myself, welcome to Final Fantasy XIV! I hope you will be able to thoroughly enjoy the game and make new friends. If there is anything you need assistance with, please feel free to contact me as I would be happy to help! May you walk ever in the light of the crystal :)

5 minutes ago, Percevains said:

Though I'm new myself, welcome to Final Fantasy XIV! I hope you will be able to thoroughly enjoy the game and make new friends. If there is anything you need assistance with, please feel free to contact me as I would be happy to help! May you walk ever in the light of the crystal :)

Thank you so much Percevains! I will see if I can add you to my very new list of contacts in-game.  :)

Welcome to the FFXIV community, Pali! I must admit I nerded out a little after reading how much role play, art and video game industry experience you have. lol You must have so many stories, both IC and IRL! I hope you're able to create even more fond memories and epic character stories with the FFXIV community. o/ 

2 hours ago, Moon Type said:

Welcome to the FFXIV community, Pali! I must admit I nerded out a little after reading how much role play, art and video game industry experience you have. lol You must have so many stories, both IC and IRL! I hope you're able to create even more fond memories and epic character stories with the FFXIV community. o/ 

Haha! Thank you! Yeah, I do. But I still have so much to learn. Everyday I learn something new. Whether it's RP, in game play or even with my art. I do hope to become a grand adventurer in the RPC! So Far I have learned about FC's and created one of my own to learn the ins and outs. As I have led my guild of 15 years in WoW, I figured it's time for me to make a new arc here in FFXIV. So far so good. I'm hooked! And I placed below one of my favorite pieces I did for a Guildy. It's WoW related but I'm working on modeling FF races. 

Elrodren_Dragon.png?width=347&height=451

Anyway!  lol. If you ever want to know any of the stories I'm willing to tell. Just hit me up here, or in FFXIV! You can find me under any of the toons I listed!

Learning something new everyday is not only a very beneficial mindset to have, it can also be an easy goal to achieve so long as we're patient with our progress and take things a step at a time if needed. Sometimes our development feels incredibly slow, but then there's that moment when we look back a year and see how much we've actually progressed. ^.^

That illustration looks amazing! Sorry if this is a daft question, but is that a Void Elf? 

19 minutes ago, Moon Type said:

Learning something new everyday is not only a very beneficial mindset to have, it can also be an easy goal to achieve so long as we're patient with our progress and take things a step at a time if needed. Sometimes our development feels incredibly slow, but then there's that moment when we look back a year and see how much we've actually progressed. ^.^

That illustration looks amazing! Sorry if this is a daft question, but is that a Void Elf? 

*Chuckles* Yes. I do look back often too, but as for the pic. Elro "looks" like a Void Elf, yes. BUT RP wise he is not. Heh. If you would like to know, I would be happy to tell you. *smirkyface* However, he is not my character. This was a Commissioned piece.

Edited by Pali
3 hours ago, Pali said:

*Chuckles* Yes. I do look back often too, but as for the pic. Elro "looks" like a Void Elf, yes. BUT RP wise he is not. Heh. If you would like to know, I would be happy to tell you. *smirkyface* However, he is not my character. This was a Commissioned piece.

I'd love to know if you're certain your friend wouldn't mind. ^_^ And on the subject of elves, what do you think of the FFXIV Elezen? 

3 hours ago, Moon Type said:

I'd love to know if you're certain your friend wouldn't mind. ^_^ And on the subject of elves, what do you think of the FFXIV Elezen? 

Heh, she will not mind. She is also a heavy Rper. She is the one responsible for me getting into FFXIV. Elrodren is an Altered Twilight Dragon. Over the last 4 years her character went through some intense RP development. The character himself has 13 years of in game history. Elro met my main character, Palaethion, during the end of BC. She had been a part of my 15 year arc ever since. But... Elro wasn't a dragon when he met Pali. He was a half Quel'dorei Row Rat (courtesan and assassin). During the siege of Icecrown, the first battalions from Silvermoon, Elrodren went with and ended up being betrayed by the very man he trusted. Vornieus. Vorn was working for the Scourge and had masked his condition to bring subjects to the Blood Queen Lan'ethel. There he went through days of torture and blooding only to end up a San'layn. All Pali could do was watch. The history on why Pali could not save him is another story all together.  :P 

Anyway, to make a very LONG story short, Pali and Elro were reunited after the fall of Arthas. Then Elro disappears again, only to land in Pali's lap just before Legion. LOL During legion is when Elro was attacked by a colleague of Pali's Nemesis, Vy'cinthion. An Assassin by the name of Drok. He was struck down right in front of Pali and Pali had to make a dire choice. Let the man he loved fall once again by deaths call, or... do the unthinkable. Well Pali did the unthinkable. He stored Elro's essence and soul in a sharded pendent. Then waited for a willing host to present it's self. One did. A kin "brother" not by bloodline but flight, gave himself for Elrodren. So... there was a 6 hr ritual done to restore Elrodren into this dragons body, and sustain Pali's brothers essence into a different pendant. Needless to say when Erlo woke up... he about castrated Pali... LOL. But that is about the sum up on Elro.  :)

Now about the Elzen. I do love their design. Much smoother and realistic. :D As a matter of fact, I have a peice I did for her of Elro when he was a San'layn.

ElroSanlayn.png?width=345&height=452

Edited by Pali

For most of my characters their history is invented and comes from their backstory, so I think it's incredible that there are RP characters with so much rich RPed history to reference,  to say nothing of the memories created with others that you can look back on together. ^.^ 

That Elro illustration looks very nice! It's certainly helpful to have artwork to help convey any aspects of a character's look and personality that the game doesn't quite capture. This is especially true for older games or games with more customization limitations than others.

I'm always interested in the little details artists use to distinguish their elves (and other races) from those in other stories. Sometimes a few tweaks (like the Elzen's longer limbs and neck) are all it takes to create an interesting visual identity. And even if someone creates Elves that are very traditional looking there's always cultural flavour to help set a fictional work apart. 

Welcome to Final Fantasy! Just from reading your post, I can tell you're going to enjoy it here for a long while. If you ever need advice or have questions in regards to the game or Lore don't hesitate to ask me or anyone else! 

Also, side note- I love your rendering style already from just the few glimpses you've posted here! 

5 hours ago, Kodlak Slafwilfsyn said:

Welcome to Final Fantasy! Just from reading your post, I can tell you're going to enjoy it here for a long while. If you ever need advice or have questions in regards to the game or Lore don't hesitate to ask me or anyone else! 

Also, side note- I love your rendering style already from just the few glimpses you've posted here! 

Oh hello Kodlak! Thank you so much. I think I will blend in well. Still working on my basic simple history of my main Le'daren. I also took the advice I've seen here about using a outside source for my characters Bio's, journals etc.. So when I get them to a point i'm happy with them, I will definitely link them here. BTW, your Hrothgar looks amazing. I had made one for giggles to see how they move, etc. Needless to say mine looks like a Blue cutesy tootsy Lynx. Now how did that happen? *has baffled look on face.*

ffxiv_08132019_113220_967.png?width=802&

6 hours ago, Moon Type said:

For most of my characters their history is invented and comes from their backstory, so I think it's incredible that there are RP characters with so much rich RPed history to reference,  to say nothing of the memories created with others that you can look back on together. ^.^ 

That Elro illustration looks very nice! It's certainly helpful to have artwork to help convey any aspects of a character's look and personality that the game doesn't quite capture. This is especially true for older games or games with more customization limitations than others.

I'm always interested in the little details artists use to distinguish their elves (and other races) from those in other stories. Sometimes a few tweaks (like the Elzen's longer limbs and neck) are all it takes to create an interesting visual identity. And even if someone creates Elves that are very traditional looking there's always cultural flavour to help set a fictional work apart. 

Moon, Yeah. The history put into these characters are... deep and detailed. All experienced in game accept for the development history, aka, back history before game-play. My officer and companion Elro, are slowly working on a series of graphic novel fan fic for the history of the arc I started 15 years ago. We are almost done with the first book that covers from the events starting in 2013 up to ending 2017-2018. The other novels are going to be following shortly after we are done with the first. One of them being a solid Biography of Palaethion including how he is a 10,015 year old Twilight Dragon (Lore Created). His experiences, his gains his losses. And more important how he became one of the most "influential" characters and founding a neutral order called Warflight. This lead to him "currently" after years (in-game 14 years) becoming a Prime, not an aspect, and brooding his own flight after YEARS of alterations in personality, body and mind.His Flight are known as the Veilblood Dragonflight. They are family to him, and one not need to be a pure dragon for his flight to accept another. :) 

Here is a simple Portrait of Pali (Palaethion) As he almost looks right now, in his sentient form of course, which he prefers.

Pali.png?width=387&height=451

Edited by Pali
2 hours ago, Pali said:

Oh hello Kodlak! Thank you so much. I think I will blend in well. Still working on my basic simple history of my main Le'daren. I also took the advice I've seen here about using a outside source for my characters Bio's, journals etc.. So when I get them to a point i'm happy with them, I will definitely link them here. BTW, your Hrothgar looks amazing. I had made one for giggles to see how they move, etc. Needless to say mine looks like a Blue cutesy tootsy Lynx. Now how did that happen? *has baffled look on face.*

ffxiv_08132019_113220_967.png?width=802&

I can't wait to see what you come up with! And thank you, It took a lot of tweaking to get Kodlak to where I wanted him, haha, though I do like your blue lynx! 

6 minutes ago, Kodlak Slafwilfsyn said:

I can't wait to see what you come up with! And thank you, It took a lot of tweaking to get Kodlak to where I wanted him, haha, though I do like your blue lynx! 

Perhaps we will meet sometime. And you are very welcome. :)

1 hour ago, Elrodren said:

so I see my bestie is talking about me XD, or showing off her art..I love those pics she did of my WoW character!

And yes, loves. I do have to brag about your awesome character.  lol

On 8/16/2019 at 6:44 AM, Pali said:

Moon, Yeah. The history put into these characters are... deep and detailed. All experienced in game accept for the development history, aka, back history before game-play. My officer and companion Elro, are slowly working on a series of graphic novel fan fic for the history of the arc I started 15 years ago. We are almost done with the first book that covers from the events starting in 2013 up to ending 2017-2018. The other novels are going to be following shortly after we are done with the first. One of them being a solid Biography of Palaethion including how he is a 10,015 year old Twilight Dragon (Lore Created). His experiences, his gains his losses. And more important how he became one of the most "influential" characters and founding a neutral order called Warflight. This lead to him "currently" after years (in-game 14 years) becoming a Prime, not an aspect, and brooding his own flight after YEARS of alterations in personality, body and mind.His Flight are known as the Veilblood Dragonflight. They are family to him, and one not need to be a pure dragon for his flight to accept another. :) 

Here is a simple Portrait of Pali (Palaethion) As he almost looks right now, in his sentient form of course, which he prefers.

Pali.png?width=387&height=451

I love the idea of making a graphic novel for the RP arc, it would be a great read for any new RPer looking to join in the fun! Another important part of character history, which is why we make stuff up for brand new characters, is that it helps solidify their personality and guide the decisions we have them make in the RP. I imagine this is twofold for having a legit long running RP arc in that, similar to acting, you know the character like the back of your hand. And similar to a play you also understand the other characters involved. One of the reasons I take a while to get the ball rolling with RP is that it takes a while for my character ideas to congeal, especially knowing so little about the lore and setting. I worry that I'll want to change something drastic after I get started. 

I like the confident smile Pali has. ^_^ And the subtle scale pattern is a nice touch as well!

@Elrodren Thanks for encouraging Pali to give FFXIV a try. o/ 

Edited by Moon Type
1 hour ago, Moon Type said:

I love the idea of making a graphic novel for the RP arc, it would be a great read for any new RPer looking to join in the fun! Another important part of character history, which is why we make stuff up for brand new characters, is that it helps solidify their personality and guide the decisions we have them make in the RP. I imagine this is twofold for having a legit long running RP arc in that, similar to acting, you know the character like the back of your hand. And similar to a play you also understand the other characters involved. One of the reasons I take a while to get the ball rolling with RP is that it takes a while for my character ideas to congeal, especially knowing so little about the lore and setting. I worry that I'll want to change something drastic after I get started. 

I like the confident smile Pali has. ^_^ And the subtle scale pattern is a nice touch as well!

@Elrodren Thanks for encouraging Pali to give FFXIV a try. o/ 

Haha. Mmm, thank you. As for the graphic novel, well, it's not SFW as it has explicit content as well. I could indeed PG-13 it out for a softer read, but the element of it's history will be less... detailed. But it's doesn't hurt to fade to black persay. lol. However, if you would like, I would be happy to share what we have written as long as you are okay with explicit content. I can message it to you if you like. Over all I'm sure you would enjoy the read as it is detailed and has lots of intense moments. Life changing for characters involved. As a matter of fact, Pali's (Palaethion's) personality was brought to FFXIV as Ei'kher. :) Just allowing my creativity to take hold. This is a complete new universe, and although I am using his personality, the character is VERY different. Not related to my WoW character. I have managed to create a FC, the Aethersoul Society. A slow build of an organization under the Sion Law as a sub order. At least that's the idea rolling around in my head. Ei'kher is heeding the call of the mother crystal, as she keeps prompting him, like many others. His choices to leave his clan were on the bounds of his calling. What he felt was right. On his rite of passage as a man, he found out he was abandoned to his current clan he'd known all his life. That caused him to feel... unwanted. He now knows the Au Ra who raised him, were not his actual clan. When he questioned them, he was scorned and treated as an outcast for his persistence. This is what also led him to find his own place in Eorzea, perhaps even create a small clan of his own. But... perhaps the mother crystal has her own plans... *Smirk* One never knows.

Anyway, as for the FC, it's not into heavy RP yes as I have not built up Ei'kher enough yet. Giving him grounds to ICly found the order, but soon it may come to pass.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:55 PM, Le'daren said:

Haha. Mmm, thank you. As for the graphic novel, well, it's not SFW as it has explicit content as well. I could indeed PG-13 it out for a softer read, but the element of it's history will be less... detailed. But it's doesn't hurt to fade to black persay. lol. However, if you would like, I would be happy to share what we have written as long as you are okay with explicit content. I can message it to you if you like. Over all I'm sure you would enjoy the read as it is detailed and has lots of intense moments. Life changing for characters involved. As a matter of fact, Pali's (Palaethion's) personality was brought to FFXIV as Ei'kher. :) Just allowing my creativity to take hold. This is a complete new universe, and although I am using his personality, the character is VERY different. Not related to my WoW character. I have managed to create a FC, the Aethersoul Society. A slow build of an organization under the Sion Law as a sub order. At least that's the idea rolling around in my head. Ei'kher is heeding the call of the mother crystal, as she keeps prompting him, like many others. His choices to leave his clan were on the bounds of his calling. What he felt was right. On his rite of passage as a man, he found out he was abandoned to his current clan he'd known all his life. That caused him to feel... unwanted. He now knows the Au Ra who raised him, were not his actual clan. When he questioned them, he was scorned and treated as an outcast for his persistence. This is what also led him to find his own place in Eorzea, perhaps even create a small clan of his own. But... perhaps the mother crystal has her own plans... *Smirk* One never knows.

Anyway, as for the FC, it's not into heavy RP yes as I have not built up Ei'kher enough yet. Giving him grounds to ICly found the order, but soon it may come to pass.

I might take you up on that if I return to RPing in World of Warcraft :D I wish I didn't have to choose between games as I've had a predominantly positive time playing WoW. Star Wars: The Old Republic had me in a similar bind; it can be played without a sub but it's a legit struggle and hard to cope with, which is the point of course lol. 

I think it's cool that you're bringing a character you've honed over the years into a new MMO, I've done that a number of times as well to see how the personality would respond to the new setting. The difference in environment, economics, politics, meta physics, biology and history will always ensure a significant divergence in story, and this in turn leads to the character evolving differently. It's very interesting to play around with, almost like writing an extreme alternate reality story.

That FC name has a nice ring to it, sounds like something that would turn up in the game story. Is Ei'kher an Au Ra name, or a name made using Au Ra naming conventions? 

25 minutes ago, Moon Type said:

I might take you up on that if I return to RPing in World of Warcraft :D I wish I didn't have to choose between games as I've had a predominantly positive time playing WoW. Star Wars: The Old Republic had me in a similar bind; it can be played without a sub but it's a legit struggle and hard to cope with, which is the point of course lol. 

I think it's cool that you're bringing a character you've honed over the years into a new MMO, I've done that a number of times as well to see how the personality would respond to the new setting. The difference in environment, economics, politics, meta physics, biology and history will always ensure a significant divergence in story, and this in turn leads to the character evolving differently. It's very interesting to play around with, almost like writing an extreme alternate reality story.

That FC name has a nice ring to it, sounds like something that would turn up in the game story. Is Ei'kher an Au Ra name, or a name made using Au Ra naming conventions? 

I cam up with it using the Mongolian "esk" conversion for the 12th century era. If I remember it correctly, it means protector of the dusk or dawn. Something like that. =D Since the names are based off the early century Mongolians, I did a bit of digging. As for the characters development, ha, yes. The development is very different and it's going well. As for the FC, I will not place that into play icly just yet. Not until I get the main founder more developed. :)

Edited by Le'daren
8 hours ago, Le'daren said:

I cam up with it using the Mongolian "esk" conversion for the 12th century era. If I remember it correctly, it means protector of the dusk or dawn. Something like that. =D Since the names are based off the early century Mongolians, I did a bit of digging. As for the characters development, ha, yes. The development is very different and it's going well. As for the FC, I will not place that into play icly just yet. Not until I get the main founder more developed. :)

You made the right call designing a character who can hear the mother crystal. I usually RP characters whose function is to aid or compliment the story of adventuring characters and those who also live simple lives. The problem with doing that though is that most areas of a given MMO are unreachable to such characters, especially if travel options are restricted in the game story. This often includes most (if not all) expac zones. ^ ^ I do have at least one character designed with this in mind though, but even she will have limits to where she can go. 

1 hour ago, Moon Type said:

You made the right call designing a character who can hear the mother crystal. I usually RP characters whose function is to aid or compliment the story of adventuring characters and those who also live simple lives. The problem with doing that though is that most areas of a given MMO are unreachable to such characters, especially if travel options are restricted in the game story. This often includes most (if not all) expac zones. ^ ^ I do have at least one character designed with this in mind though, but even she will have limits to where she can go. 

Well, when it comes to Kher, he's a wanderer right now, learning all he can, doing all he can. Depending on direction, personality and determination, any character can find a new path and it may lead to a more intense, life changing direction. What I have read so far is that even though on rare occasions can certain events happen, they do and it being cannon to the Lore that goes much deeper then WoW ever has. I also have  Neutral Evil character I'm working on cause I can play a "sadistic" alluring villain as good as I can play a positive gentle character. This should make for some intense moments...lol

11 hours ago, Le'daren said:

Well, when it comes to Kher, he's a wanderer right now, learning all he can, doing all he can. Depending on direction, personality and determination, any character can find a new path and it may lead to a more intense, life changing direction. What I have read so far is that even though on rare occasions can certain events happen, they do and it being cannon to the Lore that goes much deeper then WoW ever has. I also have  Neutral Evil character I'm working on cause I can play a "sadistic" alluring villain as good as I can play a positive gentle character. This should make for some intense moments...lol

A proper villain is good for stirring up the pot and there are no shortage of groups such a character could become affiliated with. ^_^ It'll be interesting to see what choices your neutral evil character makes if they indulge their darker side. I've only really RPed a villainous character once in Star Wars: The Old Republic, and even then it was a pretty simple story between two RPers. It helped that I knew a fair amount about the lore at the time as well. 

15 hours ago, Moon Type said:

A proper villain is good for stirring up the pot and there are no shortage of groups such a character could become affiliated with. ^_^ It'll be interesting to see what choices your neutral evil character makes if they indulge their darker side. I've only really RPed a villainous character once in Star Wars: The Old Republic, and even then it was a pretty simple story between two RPers. It helped that I knew a fair amount about the lore at the time as well. 

I've had years of experience with villain type characters. Some can get fairly Vile. But I would have to see how the RP rolls from this guy. What choices he will make. Will he keep his path or be led onto another by virtue of the people he meets. Will he redeem himself? Anything is possible, and in a large group story-line or not, his development will be unique :)