New to RP on FFXIV, just a few questions. :)

Hi, I'm just now starting to get into the idea of RPing on FFXIV. I've been playing the game for a few months now, and I've been enjoying it. I've tried learning all the lore as I go so I could have a bit of an idea as to what myself and others are talking about if I stepped into the roleplay scene. I've been RPing on other games like Elder Scrolls and Star Wars in the past, so I have quite a bit of experience (though I haven't really RP'd much in recent times). I just had a few questions, sorry if they seem dumb.

First, I was wondering where I could look for RP on the Aether datacenter? My main server is Jenova but I don't mind world visiting at all!

Second, I was curious as to the lore behind the two jobs I was caught between (my character is a Viera, FYI). On one hand, I wanted to RP a Ninja, and on the other I wanted to RP a Red Mage. I plan to form personality and backstory around whichever job I chose so I was just wondering if anyone else had any advice, opinions, or knowledge that I do not have?

Finally, I know some of the 'golden rules' of RP like don't be a jerk, etc. But I was wondering if the Final Fantasy community had any particular rules for their roleplaying experience as well? Sorry if some of these questions seem really noobish or dumb, or if this is the wrong place to post this, but I've always enjoyed the FF games growing up and the idea of RPing in one of them just sounds super fun. Thanks in advance for any help you can give! 😊

Welcome!

Unfortunately, I am on the Crystal data-server, so I'm no help when it comes to rp locals on others. 

I don't play a Viera, so I haven't researched myself much, but here's a few links that may be a good starting point (they may very well be very similar in text; I skimmed mostly). Here, here, and here! (this last one being some in-game screenshots of an NPC explaining some 'facts'.

As far as Jobs, I've seen and read experiences from people that play these differently. If you've done any of the job quests, you might be familiar with the soul crystals you can equip of that job. I don't have the in game text really, but as far as i recall, these stones can hold the experiences and memories of the previous skill-holder--which is why I assume WoL (Warrior of Light) can get a hold of one and be really amazing suddenly. Most job quests will give you some insight behind what that job does and how they work. I've seen players that RP having these soul-stones as well. As for myself, I don't have characters with particularly amazing abilities, or if they do, I kind of build my own facet based around the idea of an aether-fueled world. Sometimes the aesthetic or fight-style just fits with my character, and that character may not have all the fancy abilities listed on my skill bar. 

You basically have the right of it as far as rules? People come in all sorts and bunches, and everyone is going to have different boundaries and expectations. As long as you're overall respectful, you should be good. Most will /tell you if they're feeling uncomfortable. Don't be afraid to message others either for the same reasons, or if you want to ask to come into an rp scene between people or something. The ffxiv community has probably been the most welcoming in comparison to most MMOs I've played? But also the most sensitive. So, just be mindful.

Sorry if this wasn't much help! I hope you can explore rp in your data server soon!

Hey, thanks for the tips, I appreciate it! I should refresh on the Viera lore because I had forgotten some things that were in those links.

And no worries on the data-servers, when I first played I didn't even think people RP'd, and just joined Jenova for the friends I play with. If anyone happens to know of any RP that happens on Aether I'd appreciate it, otherwise no biggie I can figure it out!😊

If anyone wants to leave anymore tips for me I surely won't turn them down.