Warriors of Light

Greetings Balmung...ians? Balmung...ites? Balmung...ese?

Whatever.

Wondering how many of you Legacy folks will actually be RPing as one of those mysterious and legendary WoL? Or will it be a secret? OR... will you all just kinda not deal with that and pick up your RP where it left off?

Frankly... I think it could add a cool element to some RP, if done right.

I mean... I don't wanna see a ton of WoL running around saying 'Lookie me! I'm the Chosen One! Kiss my tat!'

*laughs (no offense meant to any Legacy person... I'm being silly. ;-) )*

I like the idea of them being rare and special (which they SHOULD be in reality, if subs are as predicted)... kinda like Jedi were SUPPOSED to be in SWG..

... Omg... I went there.

:blush:

Now I'll =never= hear the end of it, comparing Legacy to Jedis...

But, seriously, I think it could be kinda cool in the right hands.

I mean... If I was a Legacy person, I would want to continue my story... which would include being a returned WoL. But... I would not really want anyone to know and, by default, treat me like Michael Jackson or Elvis Returned... but I'd still BE who I am.

Of course, that is they type of character -I- tend to play.. the quiet one. ;-)

Hmm... yes, I see your points there. Thanks!

Still... from my perspective... I don't think I could play a WoL (even if the game intends me to be one?) because IC (and OOC) wise, my character & I weren't there.

I am lacking the lore, history, connections, animosities, etc.

But.... that is my personal belief. If someone wants to RP being a WoL but just arrived, well... I doubt anyone would know the difference (if the RPer is talented and knows the lore intimately).

Was just wondering... haha.

The amnesia take is interesting though. I could see one of the WoL waking up with last memory being destruction, blood, death... and brilliant white light... expecting to open eyes to face their deity...

and instead, just green grass, blue sky and a chocobo licking their nose... and totally confused as to WHAT the heck just happened?!?!

:P

I could also see a family member recalling their loved one went to fight against the Calamity- and simply believed them to have died.

So... if/when family member shows up? It's "OMG!!!! I thought you died!" and not even a thought that they could be WoL... because its true... not EVERYone that was at the Battle would be the Chosen Ones to be saved by Louisoiux (sp?)... but I would wager was more than the 4. He called on the gods to save the heroes- no sense in thinking they HAD to be next to him when he prayed.

Gods are omniscient like that.

But.... that is my personal belief. If someone wants to RP being a WoL but just arrived, well... I doubt anyone would know the difference (if the RPer is talented and knows the lore intimately).

I've thought about creating a different character, like a con-artist, who claims he is a WoL, too, but wasn't. He may be found out or not, but really, he isn't "bad" in that while he does use it for advantage, he does go out and save people currently (maybe inadvertently). I am still toying with that idea....although OOCly, I probably am "ruining" it by "blabbing" about it.

:P

:ahriman::cactuar:

I didn't really progress very far during 1.0, but I still wanted to play my character as a Warrior of Light, though I had no plans on him like... going around advertising it either. More like "I was at the Battle of Carteneau... but I don't really want to talk about it." sort of thing.

In regards to them being rare though? Warriors of Light weren't really a chosen few, there was an entire army of them theoretically. Warriors of Light are just those who fought against the VIIth Legion and vanished five years ago, it's just a name people gave them because they could only remember them as a glowing silhouette (or so I read). If they were intended to be rare, the story would make your character out to be more of a mary sue instead of making it seem like you are one in a few hundred (or thousand) people who disappeared from that battle.

I think they said that each server can have up to 5,000 characters online at once? That's not even just created, but only online. So let's say of those 5,000 players online only 10% of them were from 1.0, that's 500 characters. Lets them say that only 75% of them are playing their characters as if they were Warriors of Light, that's an estimate of 375 Warriors of Light online at any given time.... of course this is all just theoretical math with no real basis, I'm just point out that it should be assumed they aren't really THAT rare.

Okay, here's my take on it.

My new character, Fejar, is a warrior of light. He was present at the Battle of Carteneau, and he was warped into what is now the present. He has his memory in tact, but others do not remember him, let alone his involvement. (He's okay with this.) This is evidenced by going through cutscenes in which NPCs to whom my character was close have absolutely no recollection of me, despite me clearly knowing who they are.

In contrast, my old character, Nikolai, was not at the Battle for Carteneau, and, as such, would be afflicted with this amnesia. If he ever wakes, then he will not remember Fejar or anyone else that was at the Battle of Carteneau. He WOULD, however, remember friends that WEREN'T there, such as Kylin.

In other words, if your character time-skipped (like Fejar) then that character's memory will be in tact. If they remained behind, then they have forgotten everyone that was involved. Of course, this is only my opinion on the matter; you are welcome to your own interpretation. :)

Just a small reminder.

If you're gonna be a Warrior of Light, remember that means that people whom your characters had a connection with either before or during the Battle, that did not teleport with you, will probably have, at bare minimum, hardly any memory of you. Or none at all.

If you wish to avoid that situation, you might want to explore loophole options. Like for example, having a possession of yours with your name on it somewhere where someone else can look at it and remember the name, at least. Or something.

So just letting you all know. My Legacy character fled from the battle. So he did not get teleported.

Just a small reminder.

If you're gonna be a Warrior of Light, remember that means that people whom your characters had a connection with either before or during the Battle, that did not teleport with you, will probably have, at bare minimum, hardly any memory of you. Or none at all.

If you wish to avoid that situation, you might want to explore loophole options. Like for example, having a possession of yours with your name on it somewhere where someone else can look at it and remember the name, at least. Or something.

So just letting you all know. My Legacy character fled from the battle. So he did not get teleported.

This is actually debatable, and we won't know for certain the full impact until release. While most characters forget you, not all do. I won't say more than that for fear or spoilers, just know the lore already provides loopholes in the setting.

I'm pretty sure the only memories that are wiped are those directly related with the WoL's presence at the battle. Memories of the WoL's live in regard to anything else should be intact.

That way, no one knows of anyone's involvment in the battle, yet no one suddenly loses memory of a friend or relative completely (cause that would be very suspicious).

Either way, my main miqo'te won't have been there.

My hyur might...

Just a small reminder.

This is actually debatable, and we won't know for certain the full impact until release. While most characters forget you, not all do. I won't say more than that for fear or spoilers, just know the lore already provides loopholes in the setting.

The ones that DO recognize/remember you have the Echo. :)

Dododo. Aysun's a "Warrior of Light" and is having a hell of a time with it right now. Five years?! xD

Well, my characters aren't legacy characters per say, but they bear the mark. One of my characters fell overboard on a maritime vessel when the calamity happened. He thought he was going to either drawn due to the turbulent weather or be eaten by a sea serpent, but instead a light engulfed him and he awoke stranded on a deserted island on the eastern side of Eorzea. He spent two years stranded there dealing with a crystal problem and a ghost train.

The ghost train was due to carry the victims of the calamity comfortably to Thal's realm, but was being prevented from doing so due to an aberrant crystal on the island. After resolving the issue at great risk to himself, the ghost train's conductor agreed to take him to Ul'dah, which would be fine since he had to make a stop there. In the end though, Waldron did not want to leave his dead friends and crewmates, who threw him from the ghost train at Ul'dah to save his life. Waldron then spent the next three years delivering the letters from the deceased to their family, friends, and loved ones.

I don't have any explanation for why my other character has the mark as of yet. Hopefully I can come up with something interesting in order to fill in the time gap between the calamity and the present, since they weren't warped.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick edit: I'm probably going to go with a ghost ship as opposed to a ghost train for the final draft of my character's story and a less negative ending to it. Probably will just have them all celebrating their victory on the ghost ship during the voyage, then Waldron wakes up alone at the docks with a letter from his captain and crew. Also, on part of people remembering things or not, I'm under the general impression that if you bear the mark you will remember the world as it really was regardless of being time warped or not.

I have two legacy 1.0 characters, both fairly high leveled (one is 50 MRD/WAR and the other 30 THM because I didn't get to play him much before I ran out of time and money to play >: ) but only one is going to be an actual Warrior of Light, and she is most definitely not going to be proclaiming it to the world anytime soon. If anything she'd rather forget the whole thing, given the giant mess it's made for her.

I would also agree that Warriors of Light are not as rare as some would believe, as they are specifically adventurers who were at the battle of Carteneau and were sent forward in time by Louisoix. Since it is already established that all 1.0 characters, legacy or not, have the "mark" from being sent forward, it can be assumed that every adventurer PC that was at the battle was sent forward by the spell. I don't know about you, but that sounds like an awfully big number, even if not all of us 1.0 players are claiming our characters to be W's of L.

To Meine: I believe there is an option to turn your back tattoo off or on, so if you don't want your characters to be marked and flung forward through time then you can just turn the tattoo off and never have to worry about it. That's what I'm doing for my character that wasn't at the battle but is still a 1.0 character, just turning the tattoo off and acting like it never happened. :P

I'm not even going to touch the memory issue. I've already said my ideas on the thing in other threads, but everyone has their own theories and until SE gives us something more concrete, we're pretty much just grasping at straws.

Meh... just to clarify my 'rare' statement...

I'm not saying WoL would be 1 in a million... I just mean relatively speaking.

Out of 5k, 500 are WoL. That's still rare.

Now if there were 2k WoL to 5k... I'd say 'ok.. just uncommon'

:moogle:

I've thought about creating a different character, like a con-artist, who claims he is a WoL, too, but wasn't. He may be found out or not, but really, he isn't "bad" in that while he does use it for advantage, he does go out and save people currently (maybe inadvertently). I am still toying with that idea....although OOCly, I probably am "ruining" it by "blabbing" about it.

So.... Hydaelyn Booster Gold? :lol:

Personally, I feel as though this might be one of those things that gets overlooked by a lot of people, mainly due to the fact that it throws an absolutely massive wrench in the gears of a lot of people's characters. 

To me, it seems like a cop-out by SE so they don't have to develop an entirely different storyline for 1.0 players, since if our characters were remembered, well, we'd probably receive a heroes welcome and be sent off on some dangerous mission above what they'd have a newer adventurer work their way up to.

Either way, there's a whole mess of us that are canonically "Warriors of Light", and will probably stick with that branding, however forgo the loss of memories from those that didn't skip. I know some of my friends are choosing to ignore it in regards to my character, and that's fine with me, as I'd rather they not have forgotten about him. It just seems silly.

That being said, I'm all for anyone else from 1.0 that interacted with my character having all memory of him swept away. That's their own choice, and I'd stand by it fully.

As has also been mentioned in the thread, we really don't know the full of the situation. I'll go into detail in the spoiler below since they are technically storyline spoilers.

So, from what we've seen, the Grand Company leaders and Archons have forgotten us. Momodi/Baderon/Mother Miounne also seem to have forgotten us, but honestly? That's about it.

Let's pick this apart, piece by piece. The three adventurer's guilds "heads", as you might put them, speak with dozens and dozens of adventurers every day. So many people shuffle through the guilds, it's not at ALL surprising that they might forget your character after five years of not seeing you. Quite frankly, they were never really that involved in the storyline with you after the initial quest. They never really got to know you. Pretty sure they also allude to thinking that you're a familiar face, but they can't put their finger on it.

To me, that says they just forgot about you, not that they magically had their mind erased.

Now, let's move on to the meat of the issue. The Archons, and the Grand Company leaders. You had a lot of interaction with these people. Arguably, they should remember you, but they don't. This is where the magic might come in. Perhaps it's not everyone has forgotten your character, simply those that were at the battle and weren't teleported. Those that might have been within range of Louisoix's magic. There could have been some aspect of the magic meant to make them forget, for reasons we've yet to discover. Perhaps it was all a part of Louisoix's plan.

Bottom line, it could be anything. We really just don't know the specifics yet or just how wide spread it is. All anyone has right now is speculation. That's about it.

so in other words...

The RP is wide open, however you choose to play it. And it may all just come out in the normal passage of time and rhythm of RP interactions.

Good. :)

I'm all about various types and interpretations of RP that adheres to accepted world lore. And seems... the canon lore here is pretty vague. Which gives us wiggle room in which to dance and create.

Whereas vagueness can be very annoying (some of us want yes and no answers), some allows for us to let our minds expand into the realm of "oohh what if?" and "maybe..."

Good stuff- the more valid RP avenues that can be explored to enhance RP overall, the better.

But just so yanno... if I see a cadre of Twilight vamps/wolves 'transported' here by the Aether... or a Jedi that was 'drawn by the Force' to come help, etc... somehow 'pulled in' by Louisioux's spell...

I'll choke someone.

:evil:

Well as Aysun said, everyone with the Echo was apparently immune to the amnesiac effects of the Calamity, which would also mean that all the PCs would be immune to them, so as far as RPers go unless you're playing a character who doesn't have the Echo (and tbh why would you?) then SE has already provided you the loophole to avoid not remembering your friends.

I'm actually in kind of a unique position, because I have two chars: One who timeskipped, and one who didn't.

Isilme IS Legacy, but she didn't timeskip, and isn't a Warrior of Light. She left with a group of refugees for an Isle off the coast of La Noscea, and lived out the five years. As such, she struggles a bit, having forgotten most of her adventuring friends. She remembers important figures in her life, like her father and Eva, but she can't recall details, like how they looked, how their voices sounded... She knows who they were, that they were important, and the effect they had on her life, but she wouldn't recognize them on the street.

Hirilonde (Isilme's father) was at Carteneau, and he DID timeskip. And when he comes back, he's not some legendary mythical warrior who beat back Bahamut. He's an old knight that no one remembers, who's home was destroyed, and who's position is gone. So he's forced back into adventuring out of necessity (He was a career soldier)

good point.

But in my defense... I have no real knowledge of what Echo is...?

Allow me to provide some knowledge. :)

...a power granted to the chosen of Hydaelyn that gives them the ability to relive the memories of others (largely out of their control) and to understand all languages. It also renders you immune to a certain power of Primals that would otherwise make you unable to fight them. The exact nature of this is a massive spoiler of the ARR plotline that I'll only disclose to interested parties over PM.

good point.

But in my defense... I have no real knowledge of what Echo is...?

Allow me to provide some knowledge. :)

...a power granted to the chosen of Hydaelyn that gives them the ability to relive the memories of others (largely out of their control) and to understand all languages. It also renders you immune to a certain power of Primals that would otherwise make you unable to fight them. The exact nature of this is a massive spoiler of the ARR plotline that I'll only disclose to interested parties over PM.

Ahh... thank you FreelanceWizard. That helps... some *laughs* though rather unclear on the

ability to relive memories of others

However, if the exact nature of the Echo is something best learned IG/IC... then I'll hold off on knowing more. Just suffice that it is something certain folks received...

I am assuming that that is what the Kupos were referring to in the intro bit to Ur'Dah? The "you're special" and "not all can see us"?

My main reason for wanting to understand what it is was for char background and story purposes. I -am- curious however how one received the Echo- and was it something they KNEW they received- or just kinda snuck up on them unawares.