Characters in media that influence/are similar to your character!

Orlog

I had to think this one over a bit. I picked my top 3 influences with the understanding that I wanted Poe's experience of feeling dischord with her Mito'qe culture being the driving force for her venturing out from her family.

Leeloo (besides loving her hair, even if they aren't totally legit dreads, I appreciate them!)

milla-jovovich-as-leeloo-in-the-fifth-element.jpg

Chiyo (Sayuri's child name) is another influence. While I do look toward her transformation as she matured and became a Geisha, it's her child persona that I truly draw from.

images.jpg

Sam (Natalie Portman from Garden State) I love someone not afraid to truly be themselves!

garden-state-natalie-portman.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jidan Skyborn is, without equivocation, my favourite RP character that I've ever come into to date. He's a quirky, high functioning sociopathic, eccentric savant while still managing to be suave and charismatic. And he's a thief, con artist and pirate. I first started him in Guild Wars 2 but I feel like he fits infinitely better in a Final Fantasy world. Really looking forward to when Musketeer and Corsair come out so I can put him in a fitting class/job role

InspirationJidan_zpsf362adfd.png

Grey Everheart was the name of my very first RP character back...probably 11-12 years ago. It was incidentally on a Final Fantasy VIII RP site so bringing him back around into another Final Fantasy universe is a trip for me. His character has changed drastically, though, from originally being a stoic, aloof swordsman to an abrasive, cocky jerk with a bit of a protector complex. Pugilist was an easy pick for him.

InspirationGrey_zpse7eff329.png

Hachi is such a combination of so many different personality traits, but these are the three primary fictional characters that I think Hachi draws from.

hachicharcombo_zps6f453050.jpg

Rikku ( Final Fantasy X) - Hachi pulls her energy level and youthful behavior from Rikku. Her reactions are also based off of Rikku's very enthusiastic or adverse reactions to different things in the game. She is very animated and so is Hachi.

Xiaoyu ( Tekken )- Like Xiaoyu, Hachi has big dreams as far as where she is going in life. Also, like Xiaoyu she isn't afraid to put up her dukes if push comes to shove. She also reflects the same kind of dedicated loyalty to the people she cares about in her willingness to go to any length for them.

Pepper Potts ( armored adventures) - Hachi's insatiable curiosity and inability to not get into things is modeled after this version of Pepper Potts. She is also very excitable like Pepper.

I was thinking about this thread yesterday. Usually, when I'm in a beta and getting a feel for the game, I come up with a plethora of strange and different characters from my main and do a sort of process of elimination as time goes on until I narrow it down to one or two characters (sometimes three if I'm feeling really attached). It's kind of a plug-and-play sort of scenario.

That being said, I'm working on a character that I really enjoy brainstorming. Whether he ever comes into existence or not is based entirely on how good I am at manipulating the character creator. I've been lightly talking about my ideas for him on the Misericorde skype lately, though not saying much. I got the idea from seeing pictures of Native Americans in the 1800s wearing business suits whilst simultaneously wearing feathers in their hair. The character is very much based on Tarzan with a fair amount of Queequeg, and even Beast from the X-Men, thrown in. The whole concept of the character is based on one who grew up in a tribe (in no way similar to the fun-loving half-tribes that the game's lore provides and everyone seems to adore. We're talking about loincloths, feathers, stone weapons, and possibly cannibalism. Seriously, they're barely more advanced than the rest of the animal kingdom) but, like Tarzan, taught himself to read by memorizing the coded shapes attached to pictures in children's picture books over the course of a decade. Later he learns to speak, after befriending explorers, and joins society. He wears nice clothes, speaks with a wide vocabulary, and has the manners of a gentleman; but his body is still covered in scars and tribal markings and, in battle, his instincts tend to kick in and he goes full-on savage. The back story is not established in the slightest, but I feel the character has some potential.

I have little faith that the Miqo'te character creator will allow me to make him look as feral as I'm hoping, since SE decided all of the notorious feline hunters would be fourteen year old boys. Assuming I one day manage to defy reality and get him to look the way I want and I get over the fact that everyone and their mom is playing a Miqo'te, it should be a fun RP experience. We'll see, though. As of right now it's only a pipe dream, unfortunately.

EDIT

I'll throw in some sweet pics, since everyone else did.

1-lordofjungle04-cov-renaud.jpg

Tarzan, from Tarzan of the Apes: Primary Influence

friedrich-von-lebebur-as-queequeg.jpg

Queequeg, from Moby-Dick: Secondary Influence

3040598-beast+1.jpg

Beast, from X-Men: Tertiary Influence

SECOND EDIT

Since I'm a musical person, I also get inspiration from songs a lot. Here's a score that's helping me as I'm coming up with this character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsmUd10jp7A

When I think of C'io, she mostly has the qualities I see in the Fallout series protagonists. She's the Lone Wanderer, the (Tribal) Chosen One, the Vault Dweller, and the Courier all in one. She's left an isolated community to discover and learn the wider world and to help it fight its problems. The Garleans are the Enclave, the Beastmen are the Super Mutants under the Master, and the people of Eorzea are just people trying to make it through another day after the Calamity.

If I had to think of a more recognizable figure that reminds me most of C'io, I'd have to say Korra, except much more spiritually attuned. Since C'io's also older than Korra, that makes sense. Still impatient, headstrong, and pugnacious, though.

Korra_profiel.png

In all honesty, though, when I was making her, all I had was my playlist dedicated to the desert going. A collection of desert sounds, Journey, and Arabian music. I had Sufi mysticism in mind and dervishes dancing with the winds.

I can't think of any media influences on my main character, I have kept away from popular or stereotypical pirates in coming up with Saefinn - he is kinda influenced by a character in the novel I've been writing...in fact, he has the same name, risky, I know. The first draft of the novel was written in 2008 (I know, I'm slacking) and I had trouble coming up with names in FFXI and I picked one from my novel. It became my identity on any MMO title out there I've played since. I could change the name of my character in the novel, but I'm sticking with it regardless.

Saefinn in FFXIV is a different person, but there's some similar attitudes between the two. However, Saefinn in FFXIV is a bit of chauvanist, whilst Saefinn in my novel is pretty much the opposite - their life experiences are different, so they've been shaped in different ways, but both possess the same heart, so to speak.

With characters around Saefinn, well there's his best friend, Roddy, who is a bit like a guy I went to university with, a guy called 'Dave', when we used to go out drinking he had a bit of a habit of shouting at women and screaming "waheyhey", he was a bit of what people might call a 'lad'. He was harmless though really, tended to make a prat of himself more than anything, but he was a laugh to be around and despite appearances, he had a good head on his shoulders. Roddy has similarities as far as his 'laddish' side goes. Roddy also had a bit of a bad influence on Saefinn as well, how Saefinn is around women at bars, you could say is because of Roddy, well partially, the lifestyle of his crew helped too.

Then there's the captain from when Saefinn was a teenager, I haven't really fleshed him out yet, but his body language reminded me a little of Barbosa.

The Lalafell Saefinn met on the beach, in coming up with her, I'm starting to think she might have a bit of a Shantotto quality to her. Rather than being a crazy Black Mage, she's a crazy Conjurer. I may even be tempted to roleplay her further, it might be fun to roleplay with a bit of madness. :)

All of my characters come out of my own head, which I can't claim aren't influenced by other characters and themes, but I don't draw a parallel to them until after I'm done putting them together.

Zirn, for instance, has a sort of Jayne feel from Firefly. Deitrych makes me think of the classic silent protagonists like Ryu from Breath of Fire and such, of course.

Rogier is kind of a tweak off of Jade Curtis from Tales of The Abyss (aka the Necromancer) I took the idea of a researcher who doesn't really care what anyone thinks of as long as he is able to complete his research. which in Jades case earned him the title Necromancer, though Rogier hasn't done anything to earn such a title( least wise not yet). Other than that I am not sure of any characters that Rogier is related too.

Jade Curtiss

I pretty much went for a hybrid of the following. (Personality speaking)

Riku - Kingdom Hearts Series (PS2, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mobile)

Terra - Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (PSP)

Zack - Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core (PSP)

Haseo - .Hack//G.U. Series (PS2)

Nero - Devil May Cry 4 (PS3)

Mugen - Samurai Champloo (Anime)

...I think an abundance of inspiration is an understatement here.

I didn't write my character based on these guys, I just realized he had some similar elements to these guys after the fact. Especially Locke for some reason, even down to the bandana. Not sure why, I don't even remember FFVI that well!

- Locke Cole (FFVI)

- Han Solo (Star Wars)

- Akira Takizawa (Eden of the East)

- Prince Zuko (A:TLA)

• 1 month later...

Now that I finally have Abodo Po created after 5 months of brainstorming a lalafell I'd like to play, I figure I'll throw these out.

BPRD_0029.jpg

1. The ladies and gentlemen at the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense. Pretty self-explanatory. They research and defend against paranormal threats.

hellblazer-john-constantine.jpg?f6a06b

2. John Constantine. Uses magic to fight magic, but he's pretty down-to-earth about it. Huge influence.

Sherlock-Holmes-007.jpg

3. Sherlock Holmes. This guy is so focused on being a detective that he doesn't even know the Sun is the center of the Solar System. That's how Abodo is with his paranormal investigations.

Xfiles-FoxMulder-small.jpg

4. Fox Mulder. Not only does he believe in all the weird happenings across the world, he's a guru on them. Abodo Po can tell you everything about any type of unexplained event in Hydaelyn, even at the risk of sounding nuts.

mad-scientists-1-victor-frankenstein-324x205.jpg

5. Victor Frankenstein. He's creepy. He's macabre. He has a lab. He experiments on dead stuff.

My latest character is Caesius Baelthar, a soldier of the Garlean Empire. He's partially inspired by General Beatrix of Final Fantasy IX and Gabranth of Final Fantasy XII. He isn't a terrible person, he just happened to pick what may very well turn out to be the wrong side. He also has a fair few redeeming qualities: he's honourable and treats his allies well.

While I didn't have much by way of influence by any particular character for Siobhain when I made her, I did find two anime characters who remind me a bit of her.

Olivier Mira Armstong

FMA34Olivia1-b.jpg

and

Teresa from Claymore

CLAYMORE_teresa_by_masateru.jpg

She's somewhere in between both of them with a slightly more masculine personality and some awkward tendencies now and then.

Altogether, I built Siobhain based on what I hadn't gotten to RP yet-- a dedicated, religious, strong, Paladin-style character. She's a fighter, which isn't new to me, but she's a fighter with a strong moral code. She's forthright and sometimes abrasive and rather than treating smaller people as 'weak' the way some of my old characters did, she has a steadfast desire to protect them. I tried to make her a white knight of sorts, and I'm pretty happy with the result. Maybe there's another character out there who is similar to her but I did incorporate a lot of the Blackguard mentalities from the Lightbringer Series by Brent Weeks into her mentality.

I've drawn inspiration for Faye from several characters, as well as found several more who've reminded me of her. In general the two characters I've found most similar to her are:

Griffith_Pre-Eclipse_Anime.jpg

Griffith from Berserk. Just look at that beautiful, crazed, charming, albino sociopath!

2012-03-08_soulless_manga_final_with_text.jpg

Alexia Tarabotti from the Soulless novels and manga. A sassy and witty Victorian lady with a rough and tough alpha male husband? Hmm...

Also going to throw in Miss Mosh, the lovely lady on which I've based Faye's appearance:

740012.jpg

For Teveriel, I wasn't directly influenced by them but I see similarities in: 

Raistlin.png

Raistlin Majere, from Dragonlance. Born frail and sickly, he lives in the shadow of his stronger brother. Seeks power via the arcane.

Jin.jpg

Jin, from Samurai Champloo. Calm, collected, and outwardly stoic. Has few close friends due to an utter devotion to his chosen art.

I enjoyed reading these ^^. 

Dennthota was originally based on Faye from Cowboy Bebop, a wild gambling gypsy, but I wanted her more masculine..like waaaay more masculine. So now she has kind of just turned into her own character as I have never come across a woman character that would be masculine enough to compare her to. Revy from Black Lagoon might be the closest character I can think of. 

So I guess a mix of:

Revy

Revy.600.1318960.jpg

Faye Valentine 

Faye.Valentine.full.152552.jpg

And a big old smelly ox.

vfiles19586.jpg

When I first made my character, Naih I expected him to be more timid, much like a heroine from Clannad.

snapshot20071005140435ig3.jpg

He ended up however, developing over time with hos love of knowledge and way he spoke to be much more like another character I am fond of from my childhood.

giles.jpg

Rupurt. Giles.

While I try to create my own concepts or at the very least give a popular concept my own unique spin on it, there is no doubt some similarities can be found no matter how someone tries to make something unique. 

In the case of Phae'ra, 2 characters come to mind when it comes to the masked shady character type.

The first being Vega from one of my favorite games growing up. The moment I saw Monk/Pugilist I couldn't help but be reminded of him. 

270px-Sfxt-vega.jpg 

The other character I'm somewhat reminded of would be Hei from the Anime Darker then Black.

450x275http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/284/b/c/The_Black_Reaper_by_Cap_Bassam.png[/img]

Well, Aedan is mostly influenced by his backstory, which dictates how he responds to each situation. But his backstory in turn was influenced by Supernatural. So I've noticed that his personality resembles two different characters. Dean Winchester, in his devotion to his family and that kind of 'daddy's boy' thing he's got going; and Naruto, with his stubborn determination and general hot-headedness.

...Well. As far as Val's looks and personality is concerned, I never really considered anyone to inspire him. I'd just been playing a lot of super good characters and wanted a change. The personality stuck and I really liked him. If I had to pick who he closely resembled, however, it'd be these guys:

auTMp87gcqk

I think he has a bit of Spike in him simply because he's incredibly cocky and likes to talk trash during fights/whatever. 

Young_Ezio_Auditore_by_d1sarmon1a.jpg

I choose young Ezio because Val prides himself on the number of ladies he's able to get, even if it's only a mild interest. Young Ezio is also quite fond of talking trash during fights. Especially when he was confronted with "What's wrong? Afraid to handle things yourself?" and responded with, "Your sister seemed quite satisfied with the handling I gave her earlier."

I also think there's a point where, before a fight, he calls out something along the lines of "Let's make this quick. I've got a lady friend to meet after this."

HulkHogan.jpg

El_Santo.jpg

I was influenced by both Hulk Hogan and El Santo when I created Still Mountain.

The concept is simple: A Gladiator who wants to be an example to kids.

Recently he decided he wanted to become a mercenary, so he could travel Eorzea teaching the kids to respect the elders and to not skip meals while battling beasts and doing poses.