Miqo’te Mating Strategies Explored: a biologist’s point of view

This was a very interesting read! I did find it useful.

We know we can't apply animal rules to sentient creatures, as it's been stated. However, Miqo'tes still experience emotions and rules that I, as a civilised human being, simply can't comprehend.

I believe Miqo'tes are a mix of sentient/civilised and primitive. Since I already know how the former works, reading about that kind of system in its most primitive form does help for me to try to find a middle point. Understanding where their system came from and why it is like that is important to understand the characters and their views.

As for my Miqo'te, I was having trouble because I didn't want her to become a mother or to have had any sort of experiences with males so far. I've decided that she views breeding as some sort of society duty, one she'll have to fulfill when her mother tells her to. She's not eager for it because she knows she won't be able to go adventuring much once she has to start raising children, but she'll accept her role because that's what most female Miqo'tes seem to do. I'd never accept such a thing as a human being, but my Miqo'te is obviously not me, and I simply want to understand her better.

Yes, you would.

If you were raised in a culture where your sexuality was not your decision (Orthodox Judaism for example) you would either gladly accept your duty to your family, or risk losing everything by challenging their decision. A Miqote's mating requirements are not far off from the arranged marriage structures present in many societies today.

When I was little, I was taken to all kinds of play dates with a girl 2 years younger than me because our parents planned on having us establish a relationship through our lives and then one day marry. That's one of the ways Southern families arrange marriages. Unfortunately our parents had a falling out and the union was canceled (which is good because when puberty hit, it turned out I'm very gay) but I never questioned the idea that one day I was supposed to marry that girl. It was just a fact. My grandparents and great grandparents all had arranged marriages, and so would my mother have had she not been the rebel of the family and shut herself out of familial traditions for most of her life. Southerners are a little more like Miqote than flat arranged marriages in that we have things like Cotillions where all the young people are brought together in an oohlala fancy schmancy setting and sort of matched by our mothers.

"Wouldn't little Timmy and Amanda make a lovely pair? They'll have a beautiful family if they can get along."

Ultimately, these couples tend to fall in love or at least deep caring with time, and stay together for the rest of their lives.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't that post like... 2 years old?

Ah anyway, it makes me think...

I think we might also have to temper a bit the fact that mi'qote females are "breeding machines". Not that anyone is saying that of course. But I think proportionally they maybe mate even less than hyur or us IRL...

Mathematically, if you have even just 1 male for 4 females (which seems to be even wider a gap here right?), that means if males start to mate with every female all the time, your population will grow like rabbits and they would already have taken over the world... Unless they have ludicrous casualty rates. 

That's also why I guess for Seekers, the nuhn being the only one allowed to do so probably tempers that a lot. 

As for Keepers, wandering males not being constantly around families that are primarily female sororities, it probably also limits that seriously as well. I like that idea since it makes the arrival of a (rare) male a certain opportunity for a keeper family and can create a lot of interesting cultural ceremonies or special things to happen during that time.

Of course on the other hand there can also be the argument that their culture focus a lot more on that particular aspect since they need males, and males are rare, so they would do it even more to compensate...?

I think those can be valid questions, and maybe vary greatly from clan to clan?

Maybe i'm wrong though...

This thread is kinda old, but rather then make a whole new thread. I wanted to ask about Miqo'te physical Maturity. I see people RP Miqo'te that are young, and we have seen Miqo'te children now that look to be about 10 or 11. But I am wondering at what age does a Miqo'te start to develop physical for mating. I assumed it was 13-15 years of age where as Humans are around 14-17. But I know its different for every one, so how does this even work?

I imagine that they enter puberty at around the same time as the average Hyur.  But that doesn't necessarily mean they are ready for mating at those ages, just capable of it.

I'm more curious about how long it takes for the tail to be fully grown and if that's ever used as a sign of maturity since Miqo'te children have been established as having stumpy tails.

• 2 months later...

We know we can't apply animal rules to sentient creatures, as it's been stated. However, Miqo'tes still experience emotions and rules that I, as a civilised human being, simply can't comprehend.

I believe Miqo'tes are a mix of sentient/civilised and primitive. Since I already know how the former works, reading about that kind of system in its most primitive form does help for me to try to find a middle point. Understanding where their system came from and why it is like that is important to understand the characters and their views.

As for my Miqo'te, I was having trouble because I didn't want her to become a mother or to have had any sort of experiences with males so far. I've decided that she views breeding as some sort of society duty, one she'll have to fulfill when her mother tells her to. She's not eager for it because she knows she won't be able to go adventuring much once she has to start raising children, but she'll accept her role because that's what most female Miqo'tes seem to do. I'd never accept such a thing as a human being, but my Miqo'te is obviously not me, and I simply want to understand her better.

Yes, you would.

If you were raised in a culture where your sexuality was not your decision (Orthodox Judaism for example) you would either gladly accept your duty to your family, or risk losing everything by challenging their decision. A Miqote's mating requirements are not far off from the arranged marriage structures present in many societies today.

When I was little, I was taken to all kinds of play dates with a girl 2 years younger than me because our parents planned on having us establish a relationship through our lives and then one day marry. That's one of the ways Southern families arrange marriages. Unfortunately our parents had a falling out and the union was canceled (which is good because when puberty hit, it turned out I'm very gay) but I never questioned the idea that one day I was supposed to marry that girl. It was just a fact. My grandparents and great grandparents all had arranged marriages, and so would my mother have had she not been the rebel of the family and shut herself out of familial traditions for most of her life. Southerners are a little more like Miqote than flat arranged marriages in that we have things like Cotillions where all the young people are brought together in an oohlala fancy schmancy setting and sort of matched by our mothers.

"Wouldn't little Timmy and Amanda make a lovely pair? They'll have a beautiful family if they can get along."

Ultimately, these couples tend to fall in love or at least deep caring with time, and stay together for the rest of their lives.

Uh...what part of the South are you from, exactly?

Because I'm from the Deep South, too, and uh, I've never heard so much as a whisper of anything remotely approaching "arranged marriage."

Yes, you would.

Because I'm from the Deep South, too, and uh, I've never heard so much as a whisper of anything remotely approaching "arranged marriage."

Yeah I'm pretty deep in the south and this is crazy :|

Yes, you would.

Yeah I'm pretty deep in the south and this is crazy :|

Yeah, uhhhhh, never seen this in the south. o_o Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's kinda misleading and inaccurate to act like it's commonplace.

Are you like Texas south or like Georgia south.

Those are two very different south's

Alabama South 8-)

Only state we can claim more inbred and worse than us is Mississippi. And they just declared confederate history month, so. I feel like we're suddenly winning.

...Until this state ultimately declares it too.

How commonplace it is or isn't has no effect on the validity of his point.

No, it really does. He's claiming something is widespread where I live, and that's just not true at all outside of maybe - maybe - some backwoods inbred hicks (though I question whether they would know what a cotillion was).

He's talking about my home and painting it in a negative light by making claims that have no basis in reality. Forgive me for being offended when my home, my people, and my culture are being lied about

No, it really does. He's claiming something is widespread where I live, and that's just not true at all outside of maybe - maybe - some backwoods inbred hicks (though I question whether they would know what a cotillion was).

He's talking about my home and painting it in a negative light by making claims that have no basis in reality. Forgive me for being offended when my home, my people, and my culture are being lied about

Far be it from me to deny someone a chance to indulge in righteous indignation, but you're off the mark, His point about accepting what's normal to you is still very much valid is what I mean.

Also I'm from the south too, fuck the south.

Edit Edit: momentarily forgot what forum I was in

Far be it from me to deny someone a chance to indulge in righteous indignation, but you're off the mark,  His point about accepting what's normal to you is still very much valid is what I mean.

That's part of it. Another part is him saying that it's prevalent in many societies today, then he goes on to state something that happened to him in the south as an example. This is but a singular occurrence. I can assure you that it is not "prevalent" and most people you mention this to would think it's ridiculous.

Are you like Texas south or like Georgia south.

Those are two very different south's

Ah.

Louisiana South.

Which is the Deep South, same as Mississippi, Alabama, or Georgia.

From my experience in Louisiana, what you said sounds legit to the point it's frightening.

Far be it from me to deny someone a chance to indulge in righteous indignation, but you're off the mark,  His point about accepting what's normal to you is still very much valid is what I mean.

That's part of it. Another part is him saying that it's prevalent in many societies today, then he goes on to state something that happened to him in the south as an example. This is but a singular occurrence. I can assure you that it is not "prevalent" and most people you mention this to would think it's ridiculous.

The example is perhaps bad, but the point about accepting what's "normal" to you stands.

If you all want to talk about societal norms in the Southern States, that's cool and all, but does it need to be in the Miqo'te Mating thread?

--

The recent event just goes onto to prove that Keeper males don't really stick to a single clan or house for long, as the game already says they're fairly rare and tend to wander. (Aside from the implied antisocial tendencies).