A Phial of Fantasia and Roleplay

Ellie

I meant more about magical implications. As in, if someone could make a potion that 'remakes' a person physically, maybe less powerful variants can be made. Maybe someone will invent plastic magical surgery because of this, now. Or short-term shapeshifting powers, or disguise potions like those in Harry Potter.

Suddenly, there's a lot of things that can be considered in-lore thanks to this as long as they are many degrees less powerful than the original deal.

[*]Physically? Miqo'te have sharp hearing. Elezen have decent hearing, I understand, but nothing like the Miqo'te. That will take some getting used to. You used to be tall - now you are short. How annoying! And that tail! What the hell is a tail good for anyway?

Offtopic a bit, but I felt compelled to point out that Miqo'te have a heightened sense of smell, but normal hearing.  Some elezen (duskwight specifically) have sharp hearing.

These are good good situations to ponder over for someone who might actually use this.  It would certainly add complication.

[*]Physically? Miqo'te have sharp hearing. Elezen have decent hearing, I understand, but nothing like the Miqo'te. That will take some getting used to. You used to be tall - now you are short. How annoying! And that tail! What the hell is a tail good for anyway?

[*]

Offtopic a bit, but I felt compelled to point out that Miqo'te have a heightened sense of smell, but normal hearing.  Some elezen (duskwight specifically) have sharp hearing.

These are good good situations to ponder over for someone who might actually use this.  It would certainly add complication.

[*]

Haha! Thank you for the correction. :D I shall incorporate it. My bad!

I absolutely will not be accepting this as IC way of gender/race swapping.

I have to wonder... why not? When it's got lore behind it? Even if you think it's silly lore, it's still lore.

Strikes me as a little snobby to not "accept" such an excuse.

My personal preference, as I stated. People pick and choose which lore to acknowledge all the time, and often it's a lot bigger than a OOCly-needed item with flavor text, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe in my choice. If someone approaches Aysun, claiming to be x person who she knew before and used this potion, I will react ICly of course: write them off as freaking insane/stalker/wtfgoodbye. :)

That's actually a really good point! I have no plans to use such a thing (though I will undoubtedly hoard it) but it could be really useful for those who wanted a change but couldn't figure out if they should do it in an rp setting!

I very much agree with this comment. I'd haord it. Like a treasure. Never to be opened. Just there to say "I have it". But yes, I can understand that it could be use in lore to help people change their 1.0 characters. Will it be a wish for such item? Will it be an accidental drink? The amount of different possible reasons could be humorous. :D

I feel like the 

"Legend states that any who drink this mysterious liquid before lying down for the evening will awaken a new man (or woman)."

[align=left]

could be taken a bit more intensely to explain the more radical changes.[/align]

Instead of it being a simple case of the character wanting to change their race or gender, it would be a complete overwrite of who that character was.  I mean we already have some memory altering events in the game. I don't think it would be too unreasonable to assume the legendary vial gave them a new history (even if it's just an illusion) along with the new appearance, and their past self is only remembered as a dream.  I assume the will of the past self can shine through, but not the specifics.

/shrug just a thought. :T

Whomever uses this ICly should plan around it very, very carefully, lest their story come only as an excuse for comedy or a forced cosmical retcon instead of being actually thought-provoking and interesting.

Instead of it being a simple case of the character wanting to change their race or gender, it would be a complete overwrite of who that character was.

I like that interpretation. It's less prone to "'lol, I'm a now".

Instead of it being a simple case of the character wanting to change their race or gender, it would be a complete overwrite of who that character was.  I mean we already have some memory altering events in the game. I don't think it would be too unreasonable to assume the legendary vial gave them a new history (even if it's just an illusion) along with the new appearance, and their past self is only remembered as a dream.  I assume the will of the past self can shine through, but not the specifics.

The Cowl of Nocturnal, but in potion form? Haha, interesting idea.

Personally I'm not completely sure about being a Roe in the long run, so I'm glad the option is there. I intend to not get involved in any story lines or major RP before I have decided, though, so I'll still be in a position where I can retcon my backstory without it being a problem too much of a problem.

I really don't believe myself to be nearly a good enough writer or RPer to pull it off IC, and multiple times in my backstory I have felt that it would fit better as a Miqo'te. As for other people using it IC, if they can pull off writing it in I'm fine with it personally.

The main reason I worry about it being too common is that if they're giving it out as an early veteran reward, that means literally everyone will have at least one, which increases the chance of it becoming commonly used by quite a bit as compared to when you have to give an extra amount of real money for it.

I can see both sides yhis.

By the item itself being considered lore, it could lead to over use or even being used in an over blown manner that it could lead to a negative stigma being place on even well reasoned and thought out story lines that uses it.

But also in addition to the IC possibilities that the effect can offer, it can be a good out of character tool. Say you feel your current character has gone as far as you can go with it, or your character story line is coming to an end via death or retirement and you don't want to discard all the work you put in leveling jobs/classes/tradeskills and gathering gear, it can be useful to create a brand new character without starting over completely.

• 1 month later...

Just throwing in my two cents here.

I can definitely see where some of the grief comes from for a potentially abused item, but there is no indication this item will ever become available again, as far as I understand.  

Not that many people are going to make a total race change, and if they want to it's probably because they weren't very satisfied with the race they chose and didn't get too invested in the lore of that race to roleplay anyway.  I don't see this one time offer devastating the RP scene for now, and I guess if it ever becomes available again let's just hope it's really expensive and rare or something? 

And if you do find someone who's race changing like polyjuice potion just avoid them.  Same as you would for asses that roleplay just to be a jerk.

I'm just going to throw this out there at the risk of losing like two of my favorite friends! *fist clench*

So, first off, once upon a time I had an Orc warrior named Krona Rockfist. This is the only time I've ever done it, but... despite the lore I knew at the time, I had a necromancer warlock from another guild affix a soul stone of a Sin'dorei friend of his into the body of a dead Orc woman to preserve her.

1. Neither he nor she went around boasting about this. In fact, I don't think I ever mentioned it ICly, save for the periodic...

2. Rotting. It wasn't -really- rotting so much as, when the soul stone's magic began to deteriorate, parts of her body, beginning in the extremities, would begin to lose feeling. She had to find him once a week to have the connection re-established.

3. When she couldn't find him in the end, she ended up dying.

This involved runes and daaaays (iICly) of prep and the character went on for a few months, more or less passing as an Orc warrior, when the Orc female had been a warlock in her life before her corpse was shang-hai'd. This meant trying to keep the body alive and building muscle where it hadn't been there before and made her somewhat weaker than your average built-through-a-lifetime-of-training Orc warrior. This isn't, really, in any realm of WoW plausible except by a necromancer of super skill such as the original Orc warlocks or one (or several) under the tutelage of the lichs/Lich King at one point. Still, when I mentioned it OOCly, people didn't flip out or ostracize me or call me a newb. This might have been because most of the people I knew back then were already familiar with my other, strictly lore-abiding characters and decided to let me slide just this once.

So, anyhow, Klarimel and I were joking some time ago about what would happen if Siobhain ended up taking one of the Fantasia potions and ended up turning into anything else. Literally -anything- else would be smaller than her as a Roe. On one hand, the idea of going on some epic quest to find one of these potions in order to change herself into something else, maybe even finding it but by that time not wanting it, appeals to me. I would love to have an excuse to turn this character into something tiny and cute and maintain her frosty, I-art-bigger-than-thou personality.

On the other hand, part of why I play a Roegadyn female is because they're not as numerous as some of the other female races. I built her to fill the niche I wanted and that I thought fit in with a race that could be monastic, superstitious, and extremely dedicated-- a paladin. But looking at these replies, I realize some of the people I respect most might, really lose all their respect for me if I pulled such a stunt just to swap my Roe out for something like a cute Miqo'te, even if I had a really good excuse for it. I admit, it slows me down considerably. Ultimately, if I -really- wanted to do it, I would do it regardless and just hope that people gave me the benefit of the doubt. I'm not that attached to the idea, but I do respect the people who might implement it reasonably, and I just want to point out that those negative responses -do- have some effect on those of us that might be considering it. Not really in a good way, either.

Why wouldn't I just roll a whole new character? Because the personality would be exactly the same and essentially I would just have a Hyur or Miqo'te or Elezen version of Siobhain. If I let Siobhain die and decide to roll anew, I will probably just use her IC retainer/employee Xhosa Tau who, though I rarely mention her now since Shiv still a-fears the Miqo'tes and I don't want to accidentally meta-game by actively RPing two characters who are related to one another ICly. I would totally use a Fantasia if it changed the name of the character and keep my classes and such. Xhosa would try to be like Siobhain, and though there would be a lot more doubt and skittishness in her due to her roots, essentially, she would try to emulate her as sort of a successor, to carry on her memory.

Of course, that'll really only happen if Sio dies so... Yarr.