How's me story? Tell me what ye think!

Kidzeal

Here's what I have so far for my character, X'ala "Kid" Zeahl:

Kid was only 13 when the Calamity struck.  Both of her parents and most of her tribe were killed in that tragedy.  Although she usually refuses to talk of her parentage, what little is known is that she was sired by Zeahl Nunh of the Lynx tribe.

About 6 months after the battle of Carteneau, a member of the Fisherman’s Guild caught her trying to steal some fish.  In her haste to escape, she inadvertently destroyed thousands of gil worth of fresh fish and a few other expensive items belonging to the guild as well.  Recognizing an orphan of the Calamity, the guild master gave her the option of paying off her debt instead of being turned in to the Yellowjackets.  She absolutely detested being stuck doing mundane chores, but it was either that or be locked in a cell, so she begrudgingly complied. 

Shortly after, a Hyur Highlander ex-pirate-turned-fisherman named Arik Dagger noticed her when coming to sell his wares.  When he learned about her plight, he took pity on her and offered to adopt her, paying for the debt she owed and taking her to sea with him.

Once at sea, Kid found herself in her element.  She quickly learned how to fightthrough Arik’s lessons and the occasional tiff with old enemies from his more lawless days.  Arik had abandonedthe pirate lifestyle after the Calamity, but his rivals hadn’t abandoned their grudges against him. 

Arik came to see Kid as his own offspring, even though they were different races.  He was the one who nicknamed her “Kid”, because for the first few years she always acted like one.  Although her given name was X’ala  the name “Kid” stuck, and from then on she stopped telling people her real name, preferring the nickname Arik had lovingly given her.

Through the years, Arik regaled Kid with tales of his pirating days.  She was fascinated,and even started speaking a bit like a pirate at times (although her accent would only be there when she was in a certain mood).  For nearly 4 years Kid and Arik sailed the seas.  She loved the adventure (and the never-ending supply of fish). 

Suddenly, disaster struck.  A particularly scrupulous pirate whose name Kid never learned attacked their ship while they were moored close to the sands of Thanalan shore for the night.  Arik and Kid fought for their lives, but Kid was eventually defeated, being less experienced a fighter than Arik or the pirates they were fighting.  Seeing her plight, Arik abandoned caution and came to her rescue.  Taking on a dozen pirates at once, Arik helped Kid overboard and bid her swim for shore while he held off the mob.  Too exhausted to argue, she did as he commanded.  As she reached shore, she turned around just in time to see Arik run through from behind by a pirate he failed to see in time.   Tears of anger and sorrow streamed down her cheeks as she fled into hiding in a nearby mine. 

From the shadows, she watched as Arik’s vessel burned through the night and the rival pirate ship sailed away.   Vowing revenge, she found her way to a nearby settlement where she could take a carriage ride to nearby Ul’dah.  All she cared about now was getting stronger and finding the unnamed pirates who stole Arik from her.  Little did she know this would only be the start of a bigger adventure for her, as a certain sentient crystal had other plans for her future.

Nice little background. My little Sygg is an experienced fisher as well, and scorns pirates, though for different reasons. He's not really out to get them or anything...rather, they might be out to get him...

...Now you're giving me ideas on how our stories might meet up somewhere! Just when I thought I had it all planned out! :P

There are two primary factors:

1) He's just morally opposed to the idea of stealing and violence of that nature.

2) He was forced to join a pirate crew right when he came of age, which basically crushed all of his future dreams.

Needless to say, he ditched the crew as soon as he found an opportunity, hence the negative karma.

Well that makes sense!

Anyway, my backstory for my second character is turning into a mini-novel lol!  Here's a preview excerpt:

The rescue attempt was a disaster.   Although they managed to infiltrate the main imperial fortress, the Doc was nowhere to be found.   They were about to retreat and rethink their strategy when Raquel spotted the man who had decimated her friends single-handedly: Gaius van Baelsar.  In a fit of rage, Raquel charged van Baelsar in a furious attack.  Van Baelsar easily blocked her advance and shot her point-blank with his gunblade, then fixed his gaze on a stunned Mark and Jenny as Raquel slumped to the floor. 

Curiously, he stared at Jenny for a moment as if in recognition, then turned and walked away, leaving Raquel’s lifeless body behind.  As he left, dozens of imperial guards flooded the courtyard and advanced on the two intruders.

Jenny gripped Mark’s arm in fear, but he simply turned to her and said, “We’ll see each other again…promise.”  With a wink and a crooked grin, he waved his hand through the air and Jenny saw her world dissolve around her.  Apparently he had learned some tricks from his father.

Jenny woke up in a strange room she had never seen before.  She saw the soft glow of an aetheryte crystal a few feet away and instantly knew what had happened.  Mark had somehow tapped into the power of the aether to send her back to his home.  A painting on a nearby fireplace confirmed her suspicion; it was of Mark and the Doc.  By the looks of it the painting had been commissioned some time ago, since Mark was only half the height of his father at the time it was made.  She fought back a tear as she realized Mark was not with her.  She hadn’t realized it, but in the short time they had been together she had grown quite fond of him.  His last words echoed haunting in her mind.  Had he been captured by the Garleans?  Was he even still alive?  What of the Doc?

She knew these questions could wait.  First, she needed to find out where she was.  She walked over to the window and cracked the blind open.  She was not prepared for what she saw.

In case you were wondering, Jenny is the character this story is about. Unfortunately, she will be on neither Balmung or Gilgamesh, but on Behemoth.

If anyone's interested, I'll PM you the rest of what I've got when it's finished :D

Haha, you caught me!  :D

Kid has always been my favorite, and she's been a staple in MMOs for me since WoW.  I've never really fleshed out her backstory as much as this, though.  Something about this game is making me really get into the lore, enough to care that Kid's story completely fits within it even if certain elements are taken from her story in Chrono Cross (like her occasionally speaking with a pirate accent).  Even her name completely fits into the lore (I hope).

BTW, being part of the Lynx tribe was an unexpected bonus connection.  I chose that tribe for the prefix X (pronounced "she"), and only after I looked up what it stood for did I realize that it was Lynx.  So yeah...I was pretty happy about that :D

Haha, you caught me!  :D

Kid has always been my favorite, and she's been a staple in MMOs for me since WoW.  I've never really fleshed out her backstory as much as this, though.  Something about this game is making me really get into the lore, enough to care that Kid's story completely fits within it even if certain elements are taken from her story in Chrono Cross (like her occasionally speaking with a pirate accent).  Even her name completely fits into the lore (I hope).

BTW, being part of the Lynx tribe was an unexpected bonus connection.  I chose that tribe for the prefix X (pronounced "she"), and only after I looked up what it stood for did I realize that it was Lynx.  So yeah...I was pretty happy about that :D

You should totally make an RP LS called the Radical Dreamers <.<

Are you sure this is your first time, Kid?  You're using the classic archetypes exactly as they're intended, as if you've been doing this for years.

I bet you do quite a bit of reading.

I think that may be because they admitted to more or less being a 'Kid' proxy from Chrono Cross, in the initial post. Probably why the archetypes fit into place so well.

Either way, no real comments to make. It's a proxy, after all. Nothing bad to say!

Rush -

Awesome!  CC was always was one of my favorites as well.  I still get nostalgic when I hear the music...

Yeldir - 

Yep, first time!  I'll take that as a major compliment though, so thanks!  And yeah, I do a lot of reading.  Mostly stuff like Clive Cussler and James Rollins (the Sigma Force novels are amazing...)

Reppu - excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by "proxy"?  Is that when you base a character off an already-established one?

Haha, I've been thinking of doing exactly that.  Anyone wanna join?  ;)

Rush -

Awesome!  CC was always was one of my favorites as well.  I still get nostalgic when I hear the music...

Yeldir - 

Yep, first time!  I'll take that as a major compliment though, so thanks!  And yeah, I do a lot of reading.  Mostly stuff like Clive Cussler and James Rollins (the Sigma Force novels are amazing...)

Reppu - excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by "proxy"?  Is that when you base a character off an already-established one?

Haha, I've been thinking of doing exactly that.  Anyone wanna join?  ;)

Of the sort. In fact, this is probably a better label: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CaptainErsatz

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, so long as you take your own direction with the character! That's probably my only advice for you; take your own direction at this point.

That way, she's your character after the backstory fact.

Oh, don't worry; she'll have her own story from here on out :)  It will start with the main storyline of FFXIV and branch out from there.  

My second character, Jenny, is based off of a character I created as a kid.  She has a much more complicated backstory than Kid, and it's totally original; at least, as original as I can come up with lol.  I'm currently working on it, but it's turning into a 20+ page short story.  I'll make a Google doc of it and post a link when it's done if anybody is interested :)