Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle?

Having dealt with Arcanists and their Carby's, I can tell you this with almost 100% certainty. The Carbuncle simply have a higher threat generation than a GLD tank. That alone, does not make them a better tank. They won't move out of one shot effects, nor pick up adds on the fly.

They also annoy me to no end when I'm trying to do my freaking job as the TANK, and your little rat is ripping aggro off me at the same time the archer is doing the same to a different mob, while the THM is doing it to the third mob!

End rant. Simply put, please, for the love of god and me not tearing out my hair, put your Topaz's away during a dungeon. For those of us that have been tanks for years(myself, nearly a decade across a half dozen or so games), it's nothing but a pest. To those trying to LEARN to tank, it's a crutch that I highly doubt will be viable for higher level and end game tanking, which will result in more and more low skilled tanks when we get to that point.

Please, use your emerald Carby's for dungeons when you have a tank!

I think it's the combination of having a combat companion, a cute little pet, and it being the shiny, new class that is fueling the obsession with carbuncles.

I wanted to start in Limsa Lominsa when early access began because I had tried the story quests in both Ul'dah and Gridania in beta, but I don't like Marauder and I didn't want to add to the carbuncle problem. Alas.

Having dealt with Arcanists and their Carby's, I can tell you this with almost 100% certainty. The Carbuncle simply have a higher threat generation than a GLD tank. That alone, does not make them a better tank. They won't move out of one shot effects, nor pick up adds on the fly.

They also annoy me to no end when I'm trying to do my freaking job as the TANK, and your little rat is ripping aggro off me at the same time the archer is doing the same to a different mob, while the THM is doing it to the third mob!

End rant. Simply put, please, for the love of god and me not tearing out my hair, put your Topaz's away during a dungeon. For those of us that have been tanks for years(myself, nearly a decade across a half dozen or so games), it's nothing but a pest. To those trying to LEARN to tank, it's a crutch that I highly doubt will be viable for higher level and end game tanking, which will result in more and more low skilled tanks when we get to that point.

Please, use your emerald Carby's for dungeons when you have a tank!

I think you misunderstand what I was saying.

I never let my Carby loose in a dungeon.  Even the Emerald one will knock your mobs back if it gets in melee range.  However, I keep getting into dungeons where the tank ignores one or more adds and they beeline for the healer.  In that situation, yes, I will pull the Topaz Carby out and sic it on whatever add is beating the healer's face in.

I do this because it's happened to me as a healer so many times in this game.

Otherwise, when I have my Topaz Carby out, he sits on passive and I actually take a rather large DPS hit for not only having him out but having him do nothing in hopes the tank will do his job.  The last tank I got on my Arcanist...I don't even know what was on his mind.  He would RP walk up to the mobs and /wave at them, then hit one and ignore the others.  What is Flash?  Oh, I'll use it when the mobs are nowhere near me.  That's how it works, right?  Right?

If someone has a Topaz carby out and it's pulling off you, tell them to put it away or on passive.  But I'ma keep using mine because apparently most tanks in this game still aren't sure how to...well...tank.  :(

My apologies Lidian. Didnt mean to come across so harshly. Just something that grates on me. I can assure you, however, if we get into a dungeon together and I'm tanking, you can rest easy knowing I'll keep everything held firmly. I do hope your future tanks are better than your past ones!

I've told numerous arcanists already to put their pet away. It's incredibly frustrating when they just laugh it off, but really - it's just proper group etiquette and it's asking them to do their job. They're a dps class. They should have their dps pet out.

New players will make mistakes, Tank, Arcanist or otherwise.

I don't mind the Topaz, I view it in the same way as mages putting an add to sleep. Just another way to hold 'em before we get to them. No big deal. I've played with quite a few Arcanists who swap in/out Emerald and Topaz on the fly depending on the situation. It's just going to take some time to get the majority on board with a new class.

I never let my Carby loose in a dungeon.  Even the Emerald one will knock your mobs back if it gets in melee range.  However, I keep getting into dungeons where the tank ignores one or more adds and they beeline for the healer.  In that situation, yes, I will pull the Topaz Carby out and sic it on whatever add is beating the healer's face in.

As someone who is a healer: I thank you for that. There are many times in which I have had heals interrupted by being attacked which puts everyone at risk if it continues on. I'd rather have to heal a tank and the pet tanking vs try to heal myself and the tank while fighting through interruptions. 

My apologies Lidian. Didnt mean to come across so harshly. Just something that grates on me. I can assure you, however, if we get into a dungeon together and I'm tanking, you can rest easy knowing I'll keep everything held firmly. I do hope your future tanks are better than your past ones!

I've just about given up on pugging.  The tanks in my FC are good.  My friend (who is the reason I'm playing this game, tho he's not an RPer!) is excellent.  But I keep getting Derpy McDerpistan as tanks in random pugs.  On the other hand, I've love to run with ya sometime.  ^_^

As someone who is a healer: I thank you for that. There are many times in which I have had heals interrupted by being attacked which puts everyone at risk if it continues on. I'd rather have to heal a tank and the pet tanking vs try to heal myself and the tank while fighting through interruptions. 

And guess what!  You don't have to heal my pet, because I have a spell to do just that for you.  And yes I will, to take the pressure off you.

I agree with Liadan. But I have had a larger number of decent tanks in pugs. The only dungeon I have had to pull Topaz on was Hauke manor when the healer couldn't keep the tank up with the adds on the last boss. So we just got Topaz to gather them all up.

And now I am a Scholar, I don't even get a tanking pet. :P

But yes, the primary obsession is probably that its the new class.

Oh, so that's how it is. I saw a tank kindly asking the arcanist to put their Topaz away, and I'd been wondering why. The mystery unfolds now!

This is good to know for the day I have to take the Arcanist route, which I'll be forced to play if I want to become a White Mage. I'll try to keep my pets away when in dungeons *nods*.

Oh, so that's how it is. I saw a tank kindly asking the arcanist to put their Topaz away, and I'd been wondering why. The mystery unfolds now!

This is good to know for the day I have to take the Arcanist route, which I'll be forced to play if I want to become a White Mage. I'll try to keep my pets away when in dungeons *nods*.

You only have to get Arcanist to 15 to play White Mage.  :)  You don't get Topaz Carbuncle until 15 anyway and if you really don't like damage dealing, you can just stop there.

Stacking Bio/Bio II/etc and chaining Mana Spikes and Drains. All that damage with little to know pull. If the tank is pulling enough mobs, I to busy renewing DoT tokens to cast a single Rune (well until I get Rune II), which is the only ability I find pulls away enemies from a good tank if spammed to much.

My Topaz Carby tanks better than 90% of the tanks I've run into.  :-\

Usually has a third or double the HP more than the average tank. Never go soloing without it. :P

Arcanist for the win! :D

Yeah, it also seems to have far higher threat generation.  The only thing that it can't pull off of is a Medica-spamming healer.

Then again, Medica seems to generate more threat than Flash. -_-  I'm pretty sure it's counting Overheal against you.

Ah so that's what it is. I've not really leveled Arcanist yet for White Mage  so didn't know what the Emerald and Topaz mean. Will have to watch for that one in future if the Tank is having problems.

But yes sometimes at least in the lower level dungeons i've been doing you get a tank who doesn't really understand what being a tank means. The worst case was one guy who left me to pull aggro by healing him then when the mobs ran to me he saw a chest and decided opening that was more important than stopping me from being overwhelmed. Saw the pet used well in Tam Tara to hold the last boss in the middle which frees up the tank to help clear adds.

Actually, I was drawn to the Arcanist's RP value in the brains behind it all, the versatility both in playing and RP, and the nigh-limitless possibility of an entirely mathematically-based method of aether manipulation (read: MAGICKS *wiggle fingers*). Carbuncle... I don't care one way or the other. it's a facet of the class. Corelyn uses hers more like an omni-purpose tool/pet than a Pokemon. She's not about to go sic it on some creature, then sit back. She's more apt to do her thing and just let her Carbuncle go apeshit in its own way without giving it straight-up commands.

I never liked pokemons. Like, at all.

I just make fun of the "a wild X appears" which I originally thought was a Dragon Warrior thing (A wild Slime appears! Fight? Run?)

I play Arcanist because Summoners and Scholars seem to be awesome. I always liked Summoners in FF games, I love the fact they have that same endgame look as FF Tactics ones and Scholars are cool too.

Carbuncles are shiny little fluffy pets, while on top of that being pretty useful. Whenever there are a bunch of them out it looks like the beginnings of some kinda miniature rave show.

As a MRD I find the little buggers interesting. It has helped since I am learning to tank, and in both instances there was a Topaz out. I wasn't aware that they had so much Enmity generation though, I was just thinking I wasn't geared/doing my job right when I could claw mobs off the shiny punching bag.

I never liked pokemons. Like, at all.

I just make fun of the "as wild X appears" which I originally thought was a Dragon Warrior thing (A wild Slime appears! Fight? Run?)

I play Arcanist because Summoners and Scholars seem to be awesome. I always liked Summoners in FF games, I love the fact they have that same endgame look as FF Tactics ones and Scholars are cool too.

Summoners where awesome as huge AoE, but if they had Calculator/ Arithmetic its game.

*equips chameleon rope*

*first round*

*CP / multiple of 2 / Holy /  8-)*