One character to lvl all classes and jobs vs alts?

With the Armory system we can -in theory- level everything on just one character.

With the old system in 1.0 it became quite expensive to have several characters, as each additional character made your monthly fee rise.

In ARR however, at least I know for Legacy players, we can make up to 8 characters on the same sever and these will not cost anything extra.

Given the fact that storyline quests are not repeatable I am wondering how realistic it is to level all classes and jobs on one character if we look at content available?

With the free alts wouldn't it be more fun to have the traditional setup of characters where they all have certain specializations and you would be able to see all the cities story.

What are your plans? Stick with one and grind all classes or play with alts?

While a character with everything sounds fun, I am not sure if I could handle the grind on that many classes once quests started to get used up. Also for RP reasons I can't think of a character who would be doing everything.

I will be going the alt route with specialization. Pretty much focusing on Job requirement classes then maybe a class or two extra for RP reasons.

Example: Iseldia is a Lancer/Dragoon. Marauder is primarily just for dragoon requirement and her improving her physical abilities, but she isnt into the whole carnage thing. Conjurer is RP class that was taught to her by her mother when she was very young and she still has some affinity to it. Then Archer is a RP class that she is experimenting as she traveled through Gridania.

Will probably stick to specializing in one job for a character or it just gets confusing to carry tons of gear around and change when i want to switch jobs.

My current will be a White Mage eventually and once i cap and do everything maybe i'll level a Black Mage from scratch as a whole new character.

It just feels more logical to me to not have one character who is just everything in one. Especially looking from a RP perspective because they technically have no weaknesses.

It is my intent to master all the disciples of war classes. I figured that being an all around combat guy, why not try them all? Due to backstory reasons magic seems improbable at this point (I also don't believe I could ever get into healing) and I'm unsure whether or not I actually want to do my own crafting or not. So that limits me to 5 classes to level up which doesn't sound too bad to me.

I will be doing everything on one character. Fate groups and Dungeons supply a plenty enough source of xp,  and I hate quests anyways and am already tired of being forced to do the story quest line to unlock certain things instead of obtaining it through levels. I want to write my own story not have 5 characters with the same one forced by the same quests.

I'm tempted to do it as a long term goal, since I'm the sort of player who enjoys accomplishing as much as possible on my 'main' character whilst indulging in an alt now and then. Then again the only reason I'll even be making an alt or two is to try out different character concepts for role-play and the more exotic playable races.

I'm tempted to do it as a long term goal, since I'm the sort of player who enjoys accomplishing as much as possible on my 'main' character whilst indulging in an alt now and then. Then again the only reason I'll even be making an alt or two is to try out different character concepts for role-play and the more exotic playable races.

I like how you worded it as a long term goal. I probably would only like a few of the classes as a main role anyways and the rest just because of me being an achievement whore.

I plan to keep them all on one but yeah. Not gonna try and push it. The only thing I've considered an alt for so far is two more retainers worth of storage/sales slots. Otherwise, I like the idea of having all my resources in immediate arm's reach.

Sort of related question. I want to be a lancer with my character. But I want to start in Limsa for RP reasons. But apparently someone decided it was a splendid idea to sink the ferry. So it seems you're stuck in whichever city-state you start in until you've done enough main story quests to get the airship pass.

I'm not happy with that at all. Is there any way around that?

Sort of related question. I want to be a lancer with my character. But I want to start in Limsa for RP reasons. But apparently someone decided it was a splendid idea to sink the ferry. So it seems you're stuck in whichever city-state you start in until you've done enough main story quests to get the airship pass.

I'm not happy with that at all. Is there any way around that?

You could always do what I did and start in Limsa as a marauder and then once you get the airship pass around level 15 you can head over to Gridania and become a lancer. To become a dragoon you need to get a marauder to level 15 anyway, so it works out rather nicely!

ICly my character will pretty much stick to relatively high level archery, high weaving skills, and basic pugilist and conjurist skills. OOCly I intend to max out all classes on her, but it's not a very big deal for me to max them all out (especially all of the Disciple of the Hand classes).

I've always intended to have alts, but mostly for appearance preferences rather than ease of leveling or to separate class preferences.

I'll only be making one character! Alts are always the downfall of MMO's for me, becuase I always lose interest fast making multiple characters to expierience all of the classes. This is why I know I will be sticking to ARR long term. As for expieriencing all of the cities stories - I've done that since I have been playing since P2 of beta - and trust me that alone is not worth making alts for lol! I love my Niklaus <3 and I will be very proud once I have reached 50 on all classes :)

The greatest problem of using alts is that you have to repeat the storyline (and the unavoidable click-fest cutscenes) with each one in order to unlock the features like the retainer (bank) and the chocobos. If you have only one character, you only unlock those once and you are done: you can switch from your level 49 Archer to your level 1 Gladiator and not only access your retainer but also mount your chocobo. Not to mention you can hold on some loot with your higher level class to outfit your lower level ones.

The second problem is that all classes benefit from cross-class skills, so chances are your alts will end up with three classes anyway (specially true if you want them to reach a Job, as those only can grab skills from other two specific classes, as far as I understand).

The greatest problem of using one single main is that you'll have to rely on leves, FATEs and dungeon runs (and to some minor extent, the hunting log) to level up, as you won't have as many quests available. However, because you get a bonus to experience depending on how much of a difference there is in levels between your current class and your highest class, you will level up faster.

Its second problem is that you are stuck with the same guy/gal all the time. But that might not be a problem at all; it's very subjective.

For all these reasons, I'd say that logistically ARR is not alt-friendly.