General Lore Questions

Goodfellow

I'm at work right now, so I can't go into deeper detail until later but I can give some short answers Stormblade.

1. All classes and jobs utilize aether in some way and pugilist isn't any different. Using aether isn't necessary for fistfighting, but pugilists at the Ul'dahn guild do use it to power their strikes. Something I want to add is that Ul'dahn pugilism and Ala Mhigan monks aren't related. "Chakras" is an Ala Mhigan-centric belief, so while the monkhood says all people have these chakras just unable to open them, the rest of Eorzea may or may not be aware of their existence.

2. I wouldn't call it "anti-magic" per say, but yes. There are materials, rooms, and wards which dampen the effects of magic as well as limit one's ability to wield it. Gold plating, for example, dampens the effects of magic. Duskwight Pomanders are another example. I thought there was evidence for anti-magic wards on jail cells but I couldn't find it on a quick search.

3. Tentatively, yes. Items can be cursed or ensorcelled, so there's no reason to say it can't be done. For example, Raubahn's sword is actually cursed with flame. If someone lacks the strength to wield it, they will burst into flame, however, if they can overcome the sword's power, they can wield the flame as Raubahn does.

4. Chocobos can be eaten, but are not typically used as a food source. A hunter in Tailfeather eats a chocobo during that questline and it doesn't go over well. Chocobos are already rare creatures as it is.

- Chocobo Lore

That said, there are livestock animals in Eorzea as well. Cows, sheep, chickens, pigs, aldgoats, aurochs, etc are all canon farm animals. Cow and aldgoat milk are the two most popular Eorzean milk-producers.

5. Sadly, we don't have more lore on that. We don't know when or just how frequently Hellsguard are sent away. We just know that it happens. So that's up to individual player headcanon.

6. In lore, Keeper of the Moon males are wanderers and rarely stay in any one community for an extended period of time.

The men of the Keepers of the Moon live a wanderer's life' date=' for they are at their best in small doses. Women and children keep the hearth, ply various trades, and accept game and visits from the menfolk. But King Poach denies women this gods-given rule over matters of family. He forces women to live with him, forbids them to see their sisters, mothers, aunts. Most unnaturally, they lie with him and him alone! So terrible are their crimes that all Keepers of the Moon feel the suspicion and fear cast their way.[/quote']

I grew up in a household as the third daughter of five. As you likely already know' date=' we Keepers of the Moon are not raised with a father, so it was just my mother with us at home. Now, of course, I live on my own. After one of my older sisters moved to Ul'dah, I decided to follow her example and leave the Black Shroud.[/quote']

Hope this helps! ^^ I'll try to come back later and edit in more info and sources.

4. Chocobos can be eaten, but are not typically used as a food source. A hunter in Tailfeather eats a chocobo during that questline and it doesn't go over well. Chocobos are already rare creatures as it is.

- Chocobo Lore

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I could've sworn there were a couple instances of chocobo-eating in that zone.

The one being mentioned here was when an already notorious hunter (one who got ostracized from the camp for killing a female chocobo with eggs) snatched up and ate the baby chocobo that was being raised by one of the Tailfeather residents (named... Gyshal, I believe?). So I wonder if it's actually matter of a distaste for eating chocobo and more the fact that the hunter basically ate someone's pet.

The other one that comes to mind, for me, is the quest chain where the little dragon whelp is trying all sorts of foods. And one of those quests involved a hunter who provides you with some fried chocobo wings or something of that nature. The whelp doesn't much care for it, but it seemed like the hunter himself did not really mind eating chocobo. I don't quite recall what the hunter said, but I don't believe there was any disdain or distaste regarding the idea.

- Is there such a thing as 'antimagic'? Ways to prevent casters from using spells in a certain area (like a jail cell?), or shackles that prevent gathering aether, or something along those lines?

To add a bit on what Sounssy already said, magic conductivity (or aetherial conductivity) is a thing. Certain materials like gold dampen it to various degrees, which is why the newest models of garlean armored Reapers are gilded. Certain materials like bone or electrum amplify and conduct aether, however, and are used in thaumarturgic staffs.

- For miqo'te, is it that Seekers have settlements that has a few males and a bunch of females in one general location, and then Keepers with small villages made entirely of women/children and all the males roam between them, stopping only long enough to mate a few times before moving on to the next village? I thought this was the case, but I've been seeing some Keeper RPers who seem to have them similar to Seekers where everyone lives together all the time, and the only difference is the women are in charge.

Mostly yes, but you might want to really put the emphasis on small villages for Keepers. And that's usually already pretty big for Keepers. They tend to gather between a handful of families that otherwise live by themselves, mothers and daughters mostly, or the occasional son that has yet to reach a certain age before going off wandering. Keepers are a lonesome bunch.

The only exception to this is the Coeurlclaw clan, that is basically living like a Seeker tribe with a single male at the top, being the Coeurclaw King - or a few males actually considering recent SB additions if I remember right - with the difference being mostly traditions (criminal) and females living here mostly through coercition or for a lack of a better choice.

You come across a small campsite in the Chocobo Forest' date=' and as luck would have it, a meal slow roasting over an open flame. You speak with Leonulfe, the chef of the seemingly delectable dish, and he agrees to share some with you. In return, he asks that you obtain chocobo meat that he can prepare another serving for later. Slay a wild chocobo for its meat.[/quote']

This is the quest you're referencing I think Gegenji. So, it would seem wild chocobos may be eaten by Chocobo Forest residents? I'm still not sure it's something incredibly common, especially outside the Dravanian forelands, where chocobos are a rare and expensive commodity given their very recent embargo.

If your chocobo dies though, I guess you could always eat it.

You come across a small campsite in the Chocobo Forest' date=' and as luck would have it, a meal slow roasting over an open flame. You speak with Leonulfe, the chef of the seemingly delectable dish, and he agrees to share some with you. In return, he asks that you obtain chocobo meat that he can prepare another serving for later. Slay a wild chocobo for its meat.[/quote']

This is the quest you're referencing I think Gegenji. So, it would seem wild chocobos may be eaten by Chocobo Forest residents? I'm still not sure it's something incredibly common, especially outside the Dravanian forelands, where chocobos are a rare and expensive commodity given their very recent rarity.

If your chocobo dies though, I guess you could always eat it.

That's the one! But yeah, it does seem that - in the general sense - they are very likely treated like horses in that they are generally not eaten. It just doesn't mean they can't be if necessary (or you're in a place ripe with them like Chocobo Forest). :)

Hope this helps!  ^^ I'll try to come back later and edit in more info and sources.

Thank you! That answered my questions completely - except for the Hellsguard one, which apparently hasn't been given an answer in the lore.

They tend to gather between a handful of families that otherwise live by themselves, mothers and daughters mostly, or the occasional son that has yet to reach a certain age before going off wandering. Keepers are a lonesome bunch.

So, do they have permanent settlements? Could you stumble upon a Keeper 'family group' in the Shroud, and see houses and whatnot, or is it more of a situation where they pitch tents in one place for a little while and then move on, with various family's shifting between different groups over time?

Do we know about what age male Keepers get kicked out? I'd assume around puberty, for obvious reasons. I wonder if daughters stay with the mother's family group, or also wander off to join a different group - maybe to scatter the gene pool a bit more.

They tend to gather between a handful of families that otherwise live by themselves, mothers and daughters mostly, or the occasional son that has yet to reach a certain age before going off wandering. Keepers are a lonesome bunch.

So, do they have permanent settlements? Could you stumble upon a Keeper 'family group' in the Shroud, and see houses and whatnot, or is it more of a situation where they pitch tents in one place for a little while and then move on, with various family's shifting between different groups over time?

Do we know about what age male Keepers get kicked out? I'd assume around puberty, for obvious reasons. I wonder if daughters stay with the mother's family group, or also wander off to join a different group - maybe to scatter the gene pool a bit more.

Settlement-wise, there's a bit of both, probably. You can find some Coeurlclaw NPCs around some gates/huts iirc. And if we assume they're anything like Tailfeather, they probably use what best fits the situation.

It's more likely that Keeper Males aren't "kicked out" so much as they head off on their own. Think like, leaving for an adventure. Or job. given that the surname is a family name passed on from the mother, it's likely that daughters probably continue to live with their clans, if not heading to the city. But with a variety of traveling/wandering males, they probably have a fair enough amount of genetic diversity. ...and probably a lot of cousins.

It's more likely that Keeper Males aren't "kicked out" so much as they head off on their own. Think like, leaving for an adventure. Or job. given that the surname is a family name passed on from the mother, it's likely that daughters probably continue to live with their clans, if not heading to the city. But with a variety of traveling/wandering males, they probably have a fair enough amount of genetic diversity. ...and probably a lot of cousins.

True, that makes sense. It would be interesting to see more lore from the perspective of within a Keeper clan. You'd have siblings growing up together, then the brother leaves for months or years at a time, coming back every so often to visit relatives and "visit" non-relatives. Even for family, there would probably be a mixture of being glad to see him back and uneasiness because it'd be strange having an adult male around.

I wonder if visiting males bring presents to try and help them 'woo' prospective mates. Maybe stroll into the settlement with some hunting trophies - both to display hunting prowess and to give the women some extra food so they have free time for hanky panky instead of hunting. If one male is already visiting, would a second male skip to the next settlement or try to compete? Probably depends.

Keeper lore is so fascinating. And so is Hellsguard! A society where you basically kick out extra kids into the world - it's like Pokémon, but they become mercenaries. I'd imagine they rarely, if ever, go back to visit the Spines - so you'd have old, retired mercenaries who vaguely remember their parents and a few elder siblings, but have no idea if they have any younger brothers and sisters who are out in the world like they are. They had to kill a Roegadyn the other day in a fight - that could've been a sibling, born a few years after they were. And thanks to their naming convention, they'd never even know it.

Hope this helps!  ^^ I'll try to come back later and edit in more info and sources.

Thank you! That answered my questions completely - except for the Hellsguard one, which apparently hasn't been given an answer in the lore.

Those questions are hard to answer. We have examples sure, but that doesn't make them generalities by necessity.

Besides the Coeurlclaw clan that is in itself an oddity and actually has settlements that you can find in the South Shroud ingame, the archer questline portrays a poacher clan that seem to move all around elusively, so probably without true homes. The Keeper archer in the questline is also another of those female Keepers that integrated with Gridanian society, because after all, it's where society, wealth, and activity is centered. All in all, females don't necessarily stick to their clan and their kin, and can also wander off like makes, but it's not always the case, unlike for males. And what put males apart is how they are considered and live during their childhoods too. They don't hold the same place at all than their sisters in the family nucleus. Sisters are the heirs of their mothers.

The postmoogle quests picture a couple of Keeper sisters, one enrolled in the Coeurlclaws, and one living as a wandering merchant around Gridania. The latter tell you about their life and how both sisters stayed with their mother until her ultimate demise though. The big sister had then to take care of everything since the smaller one wasn't in age to do anything. Familial values seem overall to be very strong usually. I'm pretty sure they use the statement "we're a sentimental people" somewhere.

I wonder if visiting males bring presents to try and help them 'woo' prospective mates. Maybe stroll into the settlement with some hunting trophies - both to display hunting prowess and to give the women some extra food so they have free time for hanky panky instead of hunting. If one male is already visiting, would a second male skip to the next settlement or try to compete? Probably depends.

It likely depends, but we really just don't know as we have no examples of traditional Keeper clans in game. Going by the Postmoogle quest line though, I would argue that typical Keeper women don't have much tolerance for their men and find their company only something to bother with for the bare minimum of time. Men sticking around for longer than that seem to be thought of as unnatural, and quite possibly annoying.

On the topic of Keepers, is there any lore about that teardrop marking on their forehead you can have? It's not part of the tattoo/facial markings option, but several of the tattoos seem designed to incorporate it. You also can't change the color or shading, it's always solid black. Does it mean anything, in canon or fanon?

On the topic of Keepers, is there any lore about that teardrop marking on their forehead you can have? It's not part of the tattoo/facial markings option, but several of the tattoos seem designed to incorporate it. You also can't change the color or shading, it's always solid black. Does it mean anything, in canon or fanon?

Not that I've ever seen unfortunately. It is canon that Keepers paint their faces, but the teardrop is never specifically addressed. I think it's a levequest that says this:

"We Keepers of the Moon have a long history of decorating our faces with colorful paint before going into battle. We do this not only to honor the traditions of our clan, but to also let the gods know that we are prepared to serve them as warriors in the afterlife, should we fall at the hands of our enemies. The paint we use is taken from the inedible red berries of a herb known as 'soldier's sore' that can be found growing in the South Shroud. My unit is willing to pay handsomely for any who can harvest the fruit and deliver it to our barracks."

It kind of makes me wonder if the drop is a tattoo instead of paint, but that's my own speculation. For my own Keeper's background the teardrop is actually hollow with a crescent filled in for the phase of the moon she was born under. Since we know so little about Keeper daily life, you're pretty safe making up small traditions like that. There's no reason different clan-families can't have unique traditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a printing press? Or rather, are books something that can be mass produced cheaply or do they need to be hand-written/hand-copied and are therefore relatively expensive to buy and own?

On the one hand, some of Eorzea's publications use block printing (not exactly a "printing-press" but it is an effective mass-production printing technique that's been in use for a long time):

Lettered residents of Eorzea's major cities turn to printed publications to stay abreast of the latest rumors and affairs of the realm.

A block print from an article on the looming threat of Dalamud that ran just prior to the Seventh Umbral Era' date=' as depicted by a Far Eastern artist who was visiting Limsa at the time.[/quote']

An illustration from a Mythril Eye article covering All Saints' Wake festivities. A black-and-white block print was colored by the hand of a mammet to create this eye-catching image.

On the other hand, the Order of Nald'thal is copying their entire library by hand (though this may be because they're copying the tomes in miniature):

The Order of Nald'thal has been making copies of its library' date=' in preparation for the worst. The thought of Arrzaneth Ossuary falling into the enemy is a sobering idea. The most valuable tomes are being copied in miniature so they may be secreted away; the thaumaturges seek spectacles for this reason.[/quote']

There's a couple instances where "prints" gets used in reference to books or newspapers, so it's a possibility:

Er...anyroad' date=' there's prints aplenty o' the Trials, but I've heard nothin' about another copy o' the Book of Netherdark. Like as not, that's why ye never saw it in Radz-at-Han.[/quote']

Once The Raven printed word of our activities in its publication' date=' however, we were contacted by an anonymous supporter─a generous benefactor who offered to fund the entire celebration, gifts and all.[/quote']

It's hard to say definitively. A large portion of Eorzea's population is illiterate. There are some formal education, schools, and libraries - though most of the libraries are guild libraries - and a number of books/bookshelves housing items exist detailing various written works:

Just for your reference, here is a list of some of the publications that have appeared either in-game or on the official (1.0) website.

---

Original Publication: The Determination of Being

Author: Guillaurmand de Padellaint

Quote: Every soul must needs have a code, a purpose, to guide them. Else chaos would consume us all.

---

Original Publication: Leading the Van

Author: Owyne Cosserand, master tactician

Quote: The advancement of a nation may be guaged by its ability to craft weapons, but its future depends on its ability to craft wars.

---

Original Publication: Travel Logs of a Lalafell

Author: Jajariku Nanariku

Quote: Never did we expect to encounter such a diverse and so wealthy a people! And so very tall!

---

Original Publication: Treatise on the Principles of Self-Actualization

Author: Rhylsygg Bhirlonsyn

Quote: To discern the true nature of man, one need look no further than the palm of his hand.

---

Original Publication: Raimdelle Codex

Author: Frandelont Raimdelle

Quote: Know thy quarry, know thyself.

This compendium contains a priceless wealth of knowledge on the many plants and animals native to the Eorzean landmass, and although penned centuries ago, is still used across the realm by scholars and hunters alike.

---

Publication: Necrologos

Author: Unknown

A forbidden tome known to contain wards which bind arcane demons within its pages.

Chapters Discovered (as of 1.x):

Lords of Skyey Realms

Elemental Thralldom

Lightsome Verdure

The Abased

The Boughs Above

Inferno

The Light's Corrivals

Amongst Leaves Most Green

Levinshower

All Things Must Die

Ranine Reveries

Torn Asunder

Adamantine Wills

In Shadow Bemantled

Celeritous Impetus

Thousandfold Agony

The Fallen

Rockbound Mists

The Ever-reaching Claw

The Moons' Mistress

---

Publication: The Enchiridion

The holiest of Ishgardian scripture, this tome outlines the teachings of Halone.

---

Publication: The Five Ages─An Eorzean Chronology

Author: Lewphon of Sharlayan, master theologian and astrologist

Penned in the Year 233 of the Sixth Astral Era to weave together the disparate histories of the nations of Eorzea with a common thread─the thread of time.

---

Publication: Essences & Permutations─A Treatise of the Six Elements

Author: Unknown

Comprised of four chapters dealing with the elements and creation.

Essences and Permutations

-Unknown Author

The Five Ages An Eorzean Chronology

-Lewphon of Sharlayan, Year 233 6AE

Impress your friends with these beautiful leather-bound replicas of Lewphon of Sharlayan's crowning achievement in the field of history' date=' theology, and astrology. Just do not allow those friends to open any of the volumes, as they are all blank.[/quote']

On Garlean Hierarchy

-Unknown Author

Volumes 1 & 2 can be found in the Gubal Library. Discusses Garlean titles and what profession they represent.

Leather-bound Diary

-Author Unknown

A first hand account of the fall of the once-Noble House Dartancours.

O'er Westward Seas

-Gilbert Goldenlocks, 1556 6AE

The travel logs and journals of the explorer Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn and her League of Lost Bastards as they sailed west to discover the New World.

Over the Horizon

-Unknown Author

A tome further discussing Merlwyb's journey to the New World and Limsa Lominsa's establishment of trade routes to the continent.

Is there a mythology about the Twelve that isn’t mentioned in-game? (ex. Holy books, manuscripts, rituals, etc.)

Answer: Yes, a great deal of mythology exists. Unfortunately, a lot remains unreleased. The storyline in 2.0 should reveal much more about the Twelve, but until then, I leave you with this Fun Fact: perhaps you have noticed, but in several of the dungeons in La Noscea you will find locations on your maps with names like "Llymlaen's Folly" or "Llymlaen's Trial." These are, in fact, sacred sites for the followers of the Navigator--each representing one of the 12 chapters in the tale of Llymlaen's Ascent. As part of their worship, followers risk their lives to perform yearly pilgrimages, visiting all twelve sites in the order they appear in the tale.

The chapters (in order) are as follows:

Llymlaen's Folly

Llymlaen's Flight

Llymlaen's Tempest

Llymlaen's Clarity

Llymlaen's Resolve

Llymlaen's Bearing

Llymlaen's Trial

Llymlaen's Encounter

Llymlaen's Stand

Llymlaen's Triumph

Llymlaen's Oath

Llymlaen's Ascent

Impress your friends with these beautiful leather-bound replicas of naturalist Marcette Manne's comprehensive collection of knowledge. Just do not allow those friends to open any of the volumes' date=' as they are all blank.[/quote']

A sophisticated wooden bookshelf designed in the riviera fashion. Comes complete with a selection of seafarers' journals and recipe books.

A natural wooden bookshelf designed in the glade fashion. Comes complete with a selection of spiritual works to help the reader achieve inner harmony.

A sophisticated wooden bookshelf designed in the oasis fashion. Comes complete with a selection of treatises on accumulating wealth in both lives.

A wide-eyed and winged bookshelf designed in an ahriman motif. Comes complete with a compendium of knowledge from distant shrines.

A quaint bookshelf inspired by sylphic colors and curves. Comes complete with a selection of treatises on weaving' date=' dancing, and mischief-making.[/quote']

A haunting bookshelf custom-made for Haukke Manor. Comes complete with a selection of occult reading.

A large bookshelf commonly found in private libraries.

Oh dear' date=' I've forgotten my manners. My name is Marcette, and I am a naturalist under the employ of [i']Eorzean Geographic[/i], a publication which surveys the realm's wildlife.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a soulstone and learn job stuff, and then give the soulstone to someone else, do you retain the knowledge and abilities you learned from it?

I know that some jobs require it, like BLM, MCH, and SCH, but for ones where it's just a mentor-in-a-box, like PLD or MNK, what happened if you lose it or give it to someone else? A monk's chakras would still be open, right, even if they gave up the stone?

Yes, supposedly, you do retain them. They are just repositories of knowledge with the extra entry level checking if you're worthy of that knowledge or not, and that knowledge has various degrees of mastery required depending on the info you're looking for. It teaches you only what you've "unlocked", basically. But it won't erase your memory or skills or reflexes or whatever if you unequip it.

I'm still trying to figure out which soulstones are required or not to be honest. I know it's not the case for Ninja period as it's stated as soon as you get the quest, but for SCH, MCH, BLM, WhM almost certainly as well, we know it's required... What about the rest of them? MNK? BRD? I have doubts there. Worth investigating I think. Especially Monk and chakra access.

Basically there is a difference in my view between knowledge and access to certain energies specific to the job.

Lore on Soul Crystals and their role for each job can be found here!

As for which jobs absolutely require a soul crystal to use, most of the disciples of magic fall into that category:

Black Mage, White Mage, Scholar, Summoner, and Astrologian absolutely require a crystal.

Machinist, Dark Knight, Warrior, and Dragoon heavily imply that a soul crystal is necessary to harness or control their respective powers.

The rest are more vague/subjective if the crystal is necessary.

I find it very unlikely that a soul stone is actually required for Astrologian, otherwise Leveva would require a mountain of them in order to maintain a teaching center for Sharlayan Astromancy in Ishgard. I'd think its safe to say that it may be required for the most powerful Astrologian spells, but the more basic ones would be doubtful.

I don't remember well what is exactly said in the AST questline, but we know for example that a soulstone isn't required to cast black magic powerful spells. It's just that it cooks you alive if you don't have one.

So it's like how you don't need a parachute to skydive, so long as you're okay with only doing it the one time?

More like, the BLM soulstone gives you access to knowledge nobody has been able to reverse engineer. Shatotto would have needed to have "figured it out" as the historical first Black Mage, but her exact methods have become lost.

Like the other mage-job soulstones, it's not that it's impossible to do, but the knowledge of how to do so without having a soulstone effectively synced with their mind.

So more like knowing how to operate the parachute while skydiving. Or having a magical parachute that would engage for the caster when it was time.

So it's like how you don't need a parachute to skydive, so long as you're okay with only doing it the one time?

For BLM yes. I don't remember any specific black mage spell besides maybe Foul that wasn't used by soulstone-less wanabe black mages in the quests. They cast Flare a lot for example. But Foul is too recent with SB to have a clear idea about it. Maybe Meteor is specific to the soulstone though? Speaking about the LB here of course, not the grand Meteor/calamity of the lvl70 quest series.

For MCH however for example, no. You need the aetherotransformer to convert your aether into levin aspected aether so it can power your abilities.

• 2 weeks later...

How do linkshells/pearls work in lore?

In the game, they create a channel where everyone can speak and listen. But during the storyline, they seem to act more like a phone - one person dials another person, and they speak only to each other. Is that the case?

Also, do we know what linkpearls look like? Do they get inserted into the ear like earplugs or headphones, or are they like earrings and they just dangle near the ear? Can you wear two at the same time (one in each ear)?

Also, do they run off aether? The Garleans seem to have a different communication system - is that because they can't use magic, and thus can't 'power' a link pearl?

There's a fuller writeup here, Sounsyy's Linkpearl Lore Post , but lemme answer what I can.

How do linkshells/pearls work in lore?

“As you know, I played and worked on Final Fantasy XI. Even back then, I did think that linkpearls just seemed so convenient, but no one ever explained them. So, back when I joined XIV—this was before 1.0 launch, when Iwao-san did the lore—I told him we should have an explanation.

Conveniently, we already had aether. Everything is aether and there’s this sea of aether out in the world and there’s the Lifestream and that’s how people can use aetherytes and so on. Why not have linkpearls follow this reasoning?

We’ve explained before that aetherytes act as beacons. Your body gets drawn towards these beacons so you don’t get pulled into the Lifestream and drift off forever. Linkpearls are very tiny beacons—not ones you could use to teleport—but you can speak into them and then that gets converted into a…packet…of aetherial disturbance which shoots out into the world and is drawn to another beacon that’s been assigned to the same thing, whereby it flows into the beacon and is transformed out. So these packets of disturbed aether fly throughout the world, and they can be disrupted by any other energy, or intercepted. The Garleans are intercepting them—remember Minfilia knew she was probably being listened to—and then you have Garlean technology which can jam linkpearls.

So Iwao-san and I were like, ‘That works. That’s a good idea.’ And then we never got around to explaining it. But we actually decided on it like seven years ago!”

In the game, they create a channel where everyone can speak and listen. But during the storyline, they seem to act more like a phone - one person dials another person, and they speak only to each other. Is that the case?

Somewhat stated above, but the linkpearl will broadcast to/from the entire linkshell. But who's to say a linkshell couldn't have just been two pearls? From my perspective, the "dialing in" part is more an activation, like talking into the linkpearl. From there, someone needs to be listening. It's also why we tend to see them ask/request for a person on the other end.

Also, do we know what linkpearls look like? Do they get inserted into the ear like earplugs or headphones, or are they like earrings and they just dangle near the ear? Can you wear two at the same time (one in each ear)?

“Linkpearls” are the many individual baubles that belong to a collective system of pearls called a “linkshell.”

They should...look like a pearl, much like the icons. The RPC uses them in some of the forum theme too!

Also, do they run off aether? The Garleans seem to have a different communication system - is that because they can't use magic, and thus can't 'power' a link pearl?

They do run off aether, but anyone can use them. It's not powered by the user. As stated in the snipped above, Garleans can and do make use of them, including jamming them. The Garleans likely have -other- communication methods as well, similar to how players can also send letters. Based on some of the cutscenes, they probably have some form of radio as well.

Near the end of the ARR storyline in Mor Dhona, Cid brings you with him to design an EM jammer able to jamm through garlean electromagnetic transmitters, which are the main source of communication for garleans in general.

We only learned recently during SB that garleans were able to jamm linkpearls too, but it's unclear how they do that.