General Lore Questions

Goodfellow

Ok, since it's a simplish question and all (and a follow-up question):

Would it be feasible to make a one-time use Null Stone lore-wise? Have a Voidsent I want to be destroyed but as far as we know, only the Null Stone can do such a thing. So...would it be possible to like Rp going into Mhach find out how one was possibly made (find out it is impossible to make a permanent one with today's knowledge but able to make a temporary) and still fit within lore for the most part? Company likes to be as close to lore as we can be. Otherwise, I may just have to alter it a bit.

2nd Question: Where in Eorzea (or the Far East) would be a good spot to rp being inside of Mhach since going inside the raid isn't a feasible option?

Would it be feasible to make a one-time use Null Stone lore-wise? Have a Voidsent I want to be destroyed but as far as we know, only the Null Stone can do such a thing. So...would it be possible to like Rp going into Mhach find out how one was possibly made (find out it is impossible to make a permanent one with today's knowledge but able to make a temporary) and still fit within lore for the most part?

From what we know about the Nullstone, Mhach only ever made one Nullstone and it was seen as a last resort. Whatever knowledge was used to create it has likely been lost or destroyed.

That said, you can "kill" a voidsent on this physical plane without using the Nullstone. The Nullstone was more of a safeguard to keep voidsent under their summoner's command. If a voidsent went against its summoner's will, the black mage could use the Nullstone to instantly null their contract and obliterate the voidsent completely, no matter how strong it was. Without the Nullstone, it might take several magi to subdue the voidsent depending on its strength.

Would it be feasible to make a one-time use Null Stone lore-wise? Have a Voidsent I want to be destroyed but as far as we know, only the Null Stone can do such a thing. So...would it be possible to like Rp going into Mhach find out how one was possibly made (find out it is impossible to make a permanent one with today's knowledge but able to make a temporary) and still fit within lore for the most part?

From what we know about the Nullstone, Mhach only ever made one Nullstone and it was seen as a last resort. Whatever knowledge was used to create it has likely been lost or destroyed.

That said, you can "kill" a voidsent on this physical plane without using the Nullstone. The Nullstone was more of a safeguard to keep voidsent under their summoner's command. If a voidsent went against its summoner's will, the black mage could use the Nullstone to instantly null their contract and obliterate the voidsent completely, no matter how strong it was. Without the Nullstone, it might take several magi to subdue the voidsent depending on its strength.

I had wondered about that and does make sense. Think I have an idea that will still work and does still fit with what I do but doesn't require the making of even a Temp Null stone but could entail the use of magic and a focus to produce a similar effect. Basically sending it back and prevent it from ever being able to come back to the realm.

I had wondered about that and does make sense. Think I have an idea that will still work and does still fit with what I do but doesn't require the making of even a Temp Null stone but could entail the use of magic and a focus to produce a similar effect. Basically sending it back and prevent it from ever being able to come back to the realm.

A random thought occurred to me for this. If you're trying to destroy it and keep it from ever returning, couldn't you use White Auracite? It works on Ascians, who basically do the same sort of thing. Or is the method in which the Voidsent return to the void different from what Ascians do?

White Auracite, in theory, could totally work. You'd just have to have enough aether present at the time to funnel into the auracite to kill the voidsent. Assuming this is an FC event you would probably have enough people present to supply the aether on the fly.

Which was going to be my backup plan (or was going to use it as one of the main ingredients for my temp stone) since it would be easy enough to fit in lore wise and the route I'll be going with this now.

What area would be good to rp as if we were in the actual city of Mhach though?

You would have to trick a voidsent into getting in your auracyte in the first place though. Nabriales get caught in there precisely when the WoL and the Scions overcome his physical manifestation and kill him, forcing him to retreat into aetherial form, which gets directly caught in the stone. 

The idea behind white auracyte was to entrap and kill an aetherial form of something that couldn't just die when killed in his physical form...

To play Mhach with what you have, the South Shroud around camp tranquil could do just fine. Or the west area in Mor Dhona as well maybe. Anything with swamps really.

You would have to trick a voidsent into getting in your auracyte in the first place though. Nabriales get caught in there precisely when the WoL and the Scions overcome his physical manifestation and kill him, forcing him to retreat into aetherial form, which gets directly caught in the stone. 

The idea behind white auracyte was to entrap and kill an aetherial form of something that couldn't just die when killed in his physical form...

To play Mhach with what you have, the South Shroud around camp tranquil could do just fine. Or the west area in Mor Dhona as well maybe. Anything with swamps really.

Why was I forgetting about South Shroud? Tbh, that would be a great place, especially near Lost City. Other spot was possibly the cabin area in the Peaks but would like to give everyone access (cause not all have SB access on alts). As for tricking it, it's an Imp in a Jar type thing, so fairly easy to have it where we want (its seal is weakening that preventing it from escaping) so easy to set up, just hope it will work lol :)

How do linkshells/pearls work in lore?

In the game, they create a channel where everyone can speak and listen. But during the storyline, they seem to act more like a phone - one person dials another person, and they speak only to each other. Is that the case?

Also, do we know what linkpearls look like? Do they get inserted into the ear like earplugs or headphones, or are they like earrings and they just dangle near the ear? Can you wear two at the same time (one in each ear)?

Also, do they run off aether? The Garleans seem to have a different communication system - is that because they can't use magic, and thus can't 'power' a link pearl?

Also, do they run off aether? The Garleans seem to have a different communication system - is that because they can't use magic, and thus can't 'power' a link pearl?

They do run off aether, but anyone can use them. It's not powered by the user. As stated in the snipped above, Garleans can and do make use of them, including jamming them. The Garleans likely have -other- communication methods as well, similar to how players can also send letters. Based on some of the cutscenes, they probably have some form of radio as well.

Near the end of the ARR storyline in Mor Dhona, Cid brings you with him to design an EM jammer able to jamm through garlean electromagnetic transmitters, which are the main source of communication for garleans in general.

We only learned recently during SB that garleans were able to jamm linkpearls too, but it's unclear how they do that.

So I am super late to this topic, but based on a 1.0 storyline as well, Garleans communications were a pain in the arse for anyone to get their hands on. They were located inside their helmets, but anytime any got close to trying to get one, it would self-destruct.

You, the Warrior of Light, somehow manage to get a helmet that doesn't explode and Cid uses this to monitor the Garlean activity in 1.0.

It is my belief, based on this and how jamming works, that while those like Eorzeans used aether-based communications, Garleans use more of a form of radio-wave communications like we use in our own world. Get enough electric interference, such as what Cid does with the Lightning Crystal (or was it corrupted?? Either way...) and you scramble the electric waves within the air, keeping the signal from getting out-- or in.

Cause generating a small burst EMP is a b**ch to communication radio waves.

Also fun fact!

For sometime after the Calamity, Linkshells didn't work either because of the aether changes and the moogles stepped up to become the mail service we have today, because they were tired of people shouting at one another. As of the time we play in 2.0, they got the aetheric currents back in order.

This is also why the old Aetherytes no longer function and now just lay on the ground... RIP Old Falcon Nest Aetheryte Camp.

Are there any entities in game/lore that could cause a character to go a bit mad/unhinged from witnessing or interacting with? Musing on characters and wondering if theres anything that works sort of like a lovecraftian entity. That a character could summon/interact with/research which could cause them to sort of start to unravel. Maybe one of the voidsent? Know there are the mindflayer looking guys but dont actually know much of the lore on them.

Searches have not given me any answers, so turning to you guys.

How immediate were the climate/aether changes that were caused by the calamity? I am curious about other parts of the world as well, but of particular interest would be Ishgard/Coerthas. Was it literally hours in and it was freezing with snow falling out of the sky.... or was it a gradual change over weeks, months, the five years...?

To tag along with that, how far reaching was the calamity? Did Garlemald and/or the near and far east get smacked, too? Or even the "new world"? Sharlayan?

Are there any entities in game/lore that could cause a character to go a bit mad/unhinged from witnessing or interacting with? Musing on characters and wondering if theres anything that works sort of like a lovecraftian entity. That a character could summon/interact with/research which could cause them to sort of start to unravel. Maybe one of the voidsent? Know there are the mindflayer looking guys but dont actually know much of the lore on them.

I would tend to say, nothing exactly like that in the lore we know per se, but we've seen so many different types of voidsent with unique abilities and properties that at this point I think you're pretty safe by making up your own.

The voidsent that is responsible for turning the whole population of Nym into Tonberries especially comes to mind.

How immediate were the climate/aether changes that were caused by the calamity? I am curious about other parts of the world as well' date=' but of particular interest would be Ishgard/Coerthas. Was it literally hours in and it was freezing with snow falling out of the sky.... or was it a gradual change over weeks, months, the five years...?[/quote']

The endless winter Coerthas suffers from came about in the days immediately following the Calamity. It started as a blizzard, and then that blizzard didn't end until the western Coerthas Highlands were frozen over and a glacial sheet of ice swept across the region eastward down the Coerthas and Swiftrun Rivers to Greytail Falls and obstructed Gargoyle Crossing ( x x ) creating snowcloak, separating the survivors of Hemlock, Falcon's Nest, Dusk Vigil, and Camp Riversmeet from Ishgardian aid.

To whoever reads this─if there is anyone left to read it─let it be known that I, Ser Pascaleret Neurtaille, bore witness to Dalamud's fall. The lesser moon's descent, the black doom which emerged from within, the flames which spread across the horizon, turning night to day─it shall haunt me for the rest of my days. It is the dawn of the “Seventh Umbral Era,” according to some of the men. I told them to put no stock in the ravings of the prophetess, but even I do not know what to believe anymore.

The engineers are still surveying the damage, but anyone with eyes can tell that the Dusk Vigil is beyond repair. Some walls are hardly fit to be called as such, piles of crumbling masonry as they are. The officers have been pleading with Ser Yuhelmeric, asking him to order a withdrawal. He knows our position is untenable, yet he refuses. “We will hold it to the last, for we are the shields on the wall─the defenders of the Holy See,” he says. He is a brave, pious man. Less so, we who serve under him.

The men we rescued from the collapsed wing have not fared well. Given our dwindling supplies and this seemingly endless blizzard, we may be forced to make difficult decisions soon. This unseasonable weather grows worse with every passing day, and the toll it has taken on morale is plain. We have yet to receive reinforcements from the Holy See, and I fear none shall come. Nevertheless, Ser Yuhelmeric remains steadfast in his decision and will not suffer any talk of withdrawal. Ser Yuhelmeric's steward tells me he passes hours in the chapel, praying to the Fury for guidance... But I chanced to see him once, as he knelt before the statue. His eyes were transfixed upon the jewel in her crown, and he was whispering things I dare not write.

The freeze came quickly on the heels of the Calamity' date=' but there was as yet a narrow defile. The entire hamlet gathered at its mouth, and we began to pass through it, to safety... Not even half of us were through before a snowslide struck. In the confusion, her hand slipped from mine. The surge of snow and the crowd carried me to this side, and she was left behind. I left her behind.[/quote']

By Nophica's grace, the Twelveswood was not subjected to the transformative forces which forever altered Coerthas. At least, that was the case five years ago. Some say the snows creep ever southward...

The freeze that came in the Calamity's wake has rendered Coerthas nigh inhospitable. Many of the creatures that once made their homes there have been forced to migrate lest they starve. Some arrive on our doorstep with naught else on their mind but to feed. This kind of situation would not have arisen ere the Calamity came and made Coerthas nigh uninhabitable to its local fauna. With their water hoarded in vaults of ice and their herbage held under the snow, the larger beasts have become positively infernal in their need to survive. Take heed if you head northbound, for know that you are riding into battle.

To tag along with that, how far reaching was the calamity? Did Garlemald and/or the near and far east get smacked, too? Or even the "new world"? Sharlayan?

As far as we can tell, this 7th Umbral Calamity only directly affected Eorzea. We do know in the weeks leading up to the Calamity, Garlean soldiers of the VIIth and XIVth Legions were taking measurements of the anomalies in the world's aether. We know that Dalamud was siphoning aether off the Lifestream away from Silvertear Lake and damaging aetherytes. We know that linkpearls were disrupted along with the flow of aether immediately during and for a while following the Calamity. But we don't know exactly how far reaching beyond Eorzea. Only in Eorzea have we witnessed severe shifts in weather conditions, the sizes of monsters increasing, etc.

While Sharlayan observed the fall of Dalamud via telescope, we've been given no evidence that their island was affected by the fall, nor did we get any indication of such disturbances when we traveled to the Far East.

Hope this helps! ^^

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2018 at 4:47 AM, Sounsyy said:

White Auracite, in theory, could totally work. You'd just have to have enough aether present at the time to funnel into the auracite to kill the voidsent. Assuming this is an FC event you would probably have enough people present to supply the aether on the fly.

What is Auracite, anyway? I feel like I missed a cutscene or anything, she just sort of showed up and started waving it around like I already knew what it was. It's not a crystal, right - crystals are solidified aether, overaspected/corrupted crystals have too much aether and are unstable, but Auracite seems to be empty, but capable of briefly containing aether, like a really crappy battery.

Did they ever explain how its made, where its found, if there are other colours, and so forth?

5 hours ago, Kairu said:

What is Auracite, anyway? I feel like I missed a cutscene or anything, she just sort of showed up and started waving it around like I already knew what it was. It's not a crystal, right - crystals are solidified aether, overaspected/corrupted crystals have too much aether and are unstable, but Auracite seems to be empty, but capable of briefly containing aether, like a really crappy battery.

Did they ever explain how its made, where its found, if there are other colours, and so forth?

2.4-ish scenes with Moenbryda cover white auracite specifically. It seems to be a stone or crystal-like (as in, gemstone) material that occurs rarely in nature. It acts like a capacitor. 

Auracyte has started to be covered more in the recent Return to Ivalice raid. It is notably used to temporarily use primal powers.

The lore blurb  on Cuchulainn in the lorebook also speaks how auracyte based weapons were used to combat primals in the 13th Shard, and storing their primal energies. Except they leaked and slowly drove their bearers mad and eventually changed them for the worst.

( not to be confused with white auracyte )

Edited by Valence

I'm not entirely sure the auracite found/used in the Ivalice lore is the same as the type found in Sharlayan and used in the Moenbryda quests.

This is likely a case of those 2.0 quests having been written and released waaaaay before anyone in the office went "Hey, let's go get Yasumi Matsuno and have him do an Ivalice thing for 14!" So both items use the name "Auracite" due to FF recycling lore names between it's worlds to begin with. We'll probably get more information on this with further updates of the Return to Ivalice raid.

• 2 months later...

Is it generally safe to assume that most real world animals exist in some form in Eorzea?

To get a little more specific, I had a friend ask if turkeys existed in Eorzea. Culinarian recipes ask for chicken and dodo (even though they're very different dodos). Text in an AST quest I did the other day mentioned goose and pheasant. We have sparrows, owls, bluebirds, and ducks as minions. I could find zero evidence of turkeys so dodo was assumed to be a good replacement. With so many mentions of other real world birds, however, I see absolutely no reason why someone couldn't safely assume there's also turkeys out there somewhere.

9 hours ago, Caldera said:

Is this a turkey?

Maybe?  But I think it's more likely a chicken or dodo, with pheasant feathers for decoration (those certainly do not look like turkey feathers).

To more directly answer the question - I don't think there are turkeys in Eorzea... but they may exist somewhere on the world of Hydaelyn, most likely in the New World.

On 4/23/2018 at 2:55 AM, Caldera said:

Is this a turkey?

I completely forgot about that thing! I would think it's too small to be a turkey.

15 hours ago, Tregarde said:

To more directly answer the question - I don't think there are turkeys in Eorzea... but they may exist somewhere on the world of Hydaelyn, most likely in the New World.

Not gonna lie, I regularly forget that the New World exists. I feel like the only time it gets mentioned is in relation to the Mamool Ja. That'd probably be a great way to write in animals you can't find an Eorzean (or even Othardian) equivalent to.

7 hours ago, Mermaid said:

I completely forgot about that thing! I would think it's too small to be a turkey.

Not gonna lie, I regularly forget that the New World exists. I feel like the only time it gets mentioned is in relation to the Mamool Ja. That'd probably be a great way to write in animals you can't find an Eorzean (or even Othardian) equivalent to.

Yeah p. certain that it is not a turkey as the hat is called a "Cockscomb" which would likely indicate it being a type of chicken or dodo as turkey males are called toms, gobblers or jakes.

Edited by Fox
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Kallera said:

Is there a skin tone xaela of the kha tribe tend to have, or am i free to choose?

You should be free to choose the skin tone of any race/clan from those available. The Kha in particular don't seem to have any lore that would dictate anything specific in regards to this.

Au Ra Naming Conventions - Kha: "Unlike most of the Xaela, the Kha live on the fringes of the Xaela lands, actively seeking contact with non Auri peoples, introducing many aspects of those cultures into their own."