How Does Your Character Treat the Sexes?

Obsidian Hornet in general day to day interactions treats males and females pretty much the same. She is generally more generous and sympathetic toward females than males though, affording females a lot more leeway with things that she would not tolerate from a male. She is also more casually violent with men and generally tries not to get into physical altercations with women.

When it comes to romantic relationships Hornet typically reserves real emotional investment for her relationships with women (Gharen is a notable exception). She is more hesitant to invest emotionally with men as she views them as more unreliable than women. If she's with a man it's far more likely to be a one-night stand than establishing a regular relationship.

*amused by the lack of misogyny and misandry*

K'nahli is a tribal miqo'te so, similarly, she does not distinguish much between either of the two sexes. She views everyone as hunters basically and because tias are not permitted to openly express attraction or affection to females she has no reason to be wary or defensive around them even when it comes to her younger sister of whom she is rather protective about.

As for nuhns(in general since the current one is her father), she doesn't view them too differently either. Just as a highly skilled and respected hunter.

Andre on the other hand was born to a noble family and had a high quality of life growing up. As a result he is rather humble and polite, particularly around women. In the greater sense of things though he won't make too much of a distinction, though he would likely chose to save a woman over a man were he faced with such a decision whereas K'nahli(if you isolated all family ties, platonic notions and assumed that they were roughly the same age) would probably choose whoever was the most capable hunter, assuming one would definitely die right away and not have a chance to survive/merely be captured....... so yeah, highly circumstantial.

Oddly enough, Berrod's treatment of the sexes is almost directly related to the races of those sexes.

He treats Roegadyn and Highlander females as equals (his ego won't quite let him regard them as superiors, even if all evidence points out that they are). Midlander and Miqo'te females he tends to either coddle or brush off since he thinks of them as inferior (with a few exceptions!). They need to actively prove to him that they aren't just around for the sake of being annoying. Lalafell and Elezen females -- he tends to be wary around them. He knows full well that they tend to be intelligent and shrewd, so it puts him on guard.

Males have an easier time around him; Roegadyn, Highlander, Midlander, Miqo'te and Elezen males are treated as equals by default until they prove themselves perhaps undeserving (sadly this tends to happen more often than Berrod would like to admit). Lalafell males have to prove themselves from the onset, though he does acknowledge them as clever little bastards. 

His prejudices usually affect his interactions only subtly, but there are some times when the difference in treatment between the sexes and among the races is blatant.

Warren would like to believe he treats everyone equally, but that's just not true. He's a protective person by nature and this leads him to lump people into the categories of whether or not he feels can be protect them. THAT breaks down because he expects men to be able to fend for themselves and function as providers, whereas he excuses women from it. It's a bit chauvinist but comes from good intentions; He doesn't want women to have to bear any sort of pain or hardship so he expects men to take up the slack.

He's recently been working on acknowledging the fact that many, many women have no need for his inclinations and that they are in fact perfectly capable of protecting themselves.

Coatleque, even as a woman, has pretty much the same expectations as Warren. She works within her position as best she can and looks down upon weak-willed men. While she treats everyone with the respect that is expected of a Knight, she will always move aside and let the Men do the leading.

Kendha'to was born into a fairly typical Matriarchal clan of Keepers of the Moon. Females were commonly the hunters, scouts, and traders of the clan. Males were typically expected to become craftsmen, medical caretakers, Lorekeepers serving as historians or advisors to family matrons, and Guardians charged with protecting the clan and Matriarch.

He lost his clan during the Calamity, and has survived on his own since then, gaining quite the independent streak in the process. He's quick to prove himself the better, whether by deeds or by words, and will bluntly resist any attempts for a female to exert anything resembling authority over him.

Yvelont generally sees females as equals; the knights he served alongside were of both genders, and he was quick to recognize the strength he saw in Kiht Jakkya before taking her under his wing and training her. He's guilty of being overprotective - one might say coddling - towards blatantly weak females. On the other hand, he is rather openly dismissive, even scornful, of weak males - so this would be a departure from his otherwise equal view.

L'yhta largely treats men and women the same with a few exceptions. One, men who try to "put her in her place" or otherwise, in her estimation, "act like they're nunh" (regardless of race or clan, though she's more quickly set off by miqo'te males) really get her angry and will receive a vicious verbal barrage. She likes to be in charge and won't accept, especially from men, being belittled, pushed aside, or talked down to. Two, miqo'te women who fit into a "cute sexy kitty" image will also get a vicious verbal barrage for "betraying our race" and "pandering." Finally, she looks down upon miqo'te women who willingly remain true to the race's traditions, whether Seeker or Keeper. She pities Seeker women and tries to get them to realize how great their lives could be outside of the "barbaric" system in which they're "trapped," and she rails against Keeper women who are "brutalizing" the men of their society.

She has some personal issues with her race's culture, you see. :)

Outside of that, because of her other issues, she typically doesn't see much of a difference between men and women outside of morphology, though most of her closer friends are female. Her sexuality is both somewhat confused and exceedingly compartmentalized to the point where extremely obvious flirtation flies right over her head, and things that others would consider overt demonstrations of interest surprise her when that's pointed out.

EDIT: Lovin' how the forum shift is reviving these topics. :)

I won't lie. Kage's transformation from Lalafell to Miqo'te did change him a bit.

While as a Lalafell Kage -did- treat everyone equally, as a Miqo'te he has definitely become more... affectionate.

@-@

So far it's only been affectionate with females but that's because most of those who've met him as a Miqo'te have been female. And he's always been around more women than men. Except for Salem. Who kissed his cheek and Kage blushed like mad the first time he saw him again after his transformation. Yes he's affectionate but he's not sure how to show that towards others.

People might perceive Kage's overprotective nature over his friends/family *cough*Natalie and Roen*cough* as him being a male that just needs to protect females but that's not the case. He's just not had the time to develop his protective nature towards other males because he hasn't established that yet.

Aero treats them both nearly the same, with slight differences. He generally is nicer and less aggressive with females than with males. He flirts with both, but does prefer men despite that.

Other than that, pretty neutral.

I wondered why you always seemed to be the first person in a teeny swimsuit approach me at Gus' events.

Aero treats them both nearly the same, with slight differences. He generally is nicer and less aggressive with females than with males. He flirts with both, but does prefer men despite that.

Other than that, pretty neutral.

I wondered why you always seemed to be the first person in a teeny swimsuit approach me at Gus' events.

Lol! Lies and slander. Haha, it's just for competition mostly. Besides, some reason Gus doesn't have many female "models" to be honest. o:

I loved reading everyone's views on this. ^ o ^

I'd have to say Eudalie's views of the genders are equal; she's very naive and soft-spoken, so I think she tends to come off as young and proper, but she knows that both men and women have the potential to be strong, confident, etc. 

She also has a tendency to fret for both genders equally. As in, someone going to battle is going to be in danger, no matter the gender. That worries her greatly. Someone starving is someone who needs food, regardless of gender. 

As far as flirting and dating and such, Eudalie is nervous and unaccustomed to most conducts of such, and is very naive about some implications. However, when she does recognize flirting, she reacts the same to either gender -- nervous and flustered. 

Uhm.. I guess I could've just stopped at "equal." ;;

L'yhta largely treats men and women the same with a few exceptions. One, men who try to "put her in her place" or otherwise, in her estimation, "act like they're nunh" (regardless of race or clan, though she's more quickly set off by miqo'te males) really get her angry and will receive a vicious verbal barrage. She likes to be in charge and won't accept, especially from men, being belittled, pushed aside, or talked down to. Two, miqo'te women who fit into a "cute sexy kitty" image will also get a vicious verbal barrage for "betraying our race" and "pandering." Finally, she looks down upon miqo'te women who willingly remain true to the race's traditions, whether Seeker or Keeper. She pities Seeker women and tries to get them to realize how great their lives could be outside of the "barbaric" system in which they're "trapped," and she rails against Keeper women who are "brutalizing" the men of their society.

Wahhh, you sound a lot like a random moonkeeper RP'er I was very fond of!

I haven't noticed Clover treating boys and girls differently, but if I think about it, she's only made male friends so far *sweatdrops* (the only female friend she made hasn't reappeared after the Calamity, I guess because the player stopped playing that character early on). She is wary of male pirates, though, having spent a few years in Limsa Lominsa.

K'mih... I think she doesn't make distinctions based on gender but based on roles and power. She respects her elders and gets along with other young miqo'tes.

EDIT: A new thread? O_O Should I have posted there?

This is a fun exploration into the persona mind!

Jancis grew up fairly sheltered and 'protected' in the Shroud with two very dominate highlanders from Ala Mhigo. With that background she sees each gender as equal and didn't get any experience elsewhere to feel otherwise.

She doesn't really know any Keepers so the only gender roles she's really experienced are from men and the honor they hold themselves up to with asking for or accepting help from her (which in most cases has been to refuse it) or who to treat first after battle. She's honored it in most extents simply because of the person's individual wish.

While this isn't exactly gender-based, Jancis also treats lalafell equally and not as children. A lot of people seem to around her and it's an oddity she doesn't understand.

C'kayah tends to like the company of women better than men, and tends to both trust women more and treat women better than men. His maternal grandmother was a Moonkeeper, and you can definitely see her influence in his views on the sexes. This has gotten him into some interesting trouble in the past, and I'm looking forward to it continuing to get him into trouble in the future.

• 1 month later...

Chika enjoys women, a lot, due to her sexual orientation. The men in her tribe are more subordinate than the women. Yet due to these two factors she finds them to be about equal. A woman can be as strong as a man if she sets her mind to it, and a man can be just as smart as a woman. It all depends on the situation in her mind.

When it comes to casual conversations, I'd say Averill is fairly even with the sexes. He's had good advice from men and women of every creed and colour during his time on the road, so he's trained himself out of the expectations he had as a teenager. 

That said, there's still a flash or two of his old attitudes - whilst he would be equally surprised, I'd severely doubt that he would be equally concerned about, say, a male Miqo'te bursting into the Quicksand, tripping, and catapulting themselves into both his table and his face. I suppose context is everything with this one.

Anelia treats both genders equally, and respects them without any part of discrimination. As a matter of fact, she believes that a woman can be strong too if she is determined. She encourages a lot of women who are into combats or those who are determined to become soldiers. However, she is very against in terms of shameless behaviors (both genders).

Mizuho's perspective is different. Her entire family is old Asian-style oriented family that once a woman finds a man, is to submit to become a house wife. Should the husband is to perish, is to hold up to be responsible to lead the family tribe or find another mate for "political marriage". She wishes for her family and her clan's well being, but in the end - she realizes that she is nothing more than just a female figure to be part of political affairs.

Kellach

He's been on a journey of constant self-discovery in Eorzea ever since he stepped off the boat, and it's hard for him to consider the differences in genders mostly because he hadn't had much contact with women outside of his farming village. Sure, the women handled the cooking, but if you've ever lifted a pot of soup for a village potluck of more than a 100 people you know women are strong. Even when it came to protection, he's pretty sure his mother would ask for his axe so she could protect him.

People keep calling him girly and effeminate, so that makes things even more confusing 'cause he's obviously a guy.

In short, he's still way too confused by feelings to even take gender into account, and will sit on your lap no matter what your gender is.

Verad unabashedly prefers selling his wares to women. Experience has shown him that they are more likely to engage, either by asking about his products or by trying to figure out what he's doing. They're also much more likely to actually buy something, whether that be out of interest or pity.

Men, on the other hand, have shown that they are much more willing to just brush him off or threaten to hurt him if he presses too hard. With a few exceptions, they have proven unreliable customers. If presented with two customers of differing genders and all other things being equal, Verad will pitch to the woman first.

In other matters, Verad sees the sexes as being equal, but in matters of giving him money, he has his clear preferences.