Possible Rise in Harassment/Grief of RPers?

Kage

A; Elitism is 'not' a bad thing, Discrimination however is

B; Your character is 'NEVER' a reflection of your OOC personality. NEVER. A character being an asshole to you in no way means that the player behind the character does not like you.

C; I like to make long posts where I end up wondering if I trialed off to much or stayed on course. Think I missed it this time.

A huge difference between elitist and obnoxious people are that  when elitists get ignored, elitists shrug off and walk away. -Not- constantly grief them until the others get annoyed to death.

It's not discrimination, some elitist who think they are better than others when they aren't just literally making you look bad because they think  it's funny. It leads to trolling and flaming.

I wouldn't call that elitist though, it sounds more like..well, arrogance. and a need for attention. Also I've yet to meet an 'elitist' that makes others look bad to get kicks out of it.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If an Elitist doesn't like you or how you roleplay, they just stop roleplaying with you.

It's the Tryhards that make a big deal out of it. It's not enough to be better than (the universal) you, they then have to make sure it's known how much better.

It's very similar to PVE, really. The REAL elitists aren't the guys talking trash in PF and DF. The real Elitists are the ones logging in, killing T9 on Tuesday, and vanishing for 6 days.

If an Elitist doesn't like you or how you roleplay, they just stop roleplaying with you.

It's the Tryhards that make a big deal out of it. It's not enough to be better than (the universal) you, they then have to make sure it's known how much better.

It's very similar to PVE, really. The REAL elitists aren't the guys talking trash in PF and DF. The real Elitists are the ones logging in, killing T9 on Tuesday, and vanishing for 6 days.

Out of curiosity, How do these Tryhards make sure it's known? As in, what would you describe as a 'typical Tryhard' move to set himself apart from others?

Out of curiosity, How do these Tryhards make sure it's known? As in, what would you describe as a 'typical Tryhard' move to set himself apart from others?

Easy. Arguing OOCly about how Sultansworn aren't allowed to leave the palace. The people who don't want to associate with you over that will just... let it go and make a note not to interact with you. Others will argue with you about how you have to leave the Quicksand because it's Adventurers Only.

B; Your character is 'NEVER' a reflection of your OOC personality. NEVER. A character being an asshole to you in no way means that the player behind the character does not like you.

I just want to pull up this point. Technically that's how it should work. That's not necessarily how it always works though. 

I haven't gotten deep enough into RPing on FFXIV to know with 100% certainty if it happens there, I would be incredibly surprised if it doesn't happen at all with a community that large though, but past experiences with LJ/DW RPing have taught me one very important thing... Some people simply cannot separate the IC/OOC line. 

More often than not those people in particular will use their character as their own personal mouthpiece. Which means that if they don't like you, they're going to go the extra mile to mess with you and claim that it's 'IC' to cover their arses. And that can range anywhere from one person persisting with it to a group of people joining in. All depends on the person doing the 'attacking'.

Once again, not saying that it's always the player behind the asshole nature. Just saying that you can't completely rule it out. Roleplaying is a 'serious business' to some people. And heaven forbid if you don't follow their 'rules' and automatically adore their special little snowflakes.

A few of the scenes I've seen before blacklisting and just visually being assaulted is that people will go out of their way in OOC ((This is just IC interactions you're being upset about)).... which just seems like a way for them to just make up horrible excuses for their behavior.

Completely encasing your model with their gaudy costumes. Just encompassing the character models with their own. Following the characters as they teleport around and go to other scenes.

Sure it's easy to blacklist (I even do so for non-trolls and generally people who make the game/chats less fun for me), but we would not be RPing in an MMORPG if we were not interested in having the graphical representation of our RP take fold. We'd just be here. RPing forever and a half away.

Which brings me to another point;  I've noticed that there's 'aloooooooooooot' of Gossiping going around players. People being shunned for their characters IC actions out of OOC reactions. "You char insulted my char! I don't want to play with you anymore!" Is one such example. Also, it seems everyone knows what IC/OOC, no bleed through etc mean, and yet there's still a big amount of roleplayers who, while they know how to write and play their role, do not know how to seperate themselves from their fictive character. A certain degree of attachment is okay, since your character is a piece of work you've created, but some people take it really too far. Dare to upset another player through playing a character that isn't as sociable and friendly as the rest, And suddenly you find yourself in a gossip circle where your name gets mentioned in a very negative light. And that being your OOC name. I've never yet heard someone say 'his character is an asshole', when it comes to IC handlings. I only hear people go 'The player is an asshole, his character did A;B;C'. This I say firsthand, happen to various people, Which would lead back to that 'missunderstood' point Faye raised.

I can echo this wholeheartedly.

For example, Roswyn is pretty icy to most right off the bat and people automatically assume that extends to me when it really doesn't. If you've ever had me in a linkshell, gotten a message or rep from me you know I'm plenty nice. Yet, when Roswyn says things or takes actions in game I've seen people get very upset about it.

I've even had people comment that I should disclaimer myself as "Mean Char - Nice OOC!" And I just...I facepalm a little and I ask "Are we roleplaying here or not?" I could be the Abominable Snowman OOCly and if you're letting it affect your desires to roleplay with people and shunning them out of things that's a little...unprofessional in my humble opinion.

I've seen this on the other end too. People have told me "Oh, don't RP with "xxx" because his character is a "xxxx"." My reaction to this is the following:

"Well, Roswyn doesn't know this guy at all and has zero reasons to shun someone that harshly right off the bat. If there are IC consequences then I'll play those out."

It could be possible that your character might leave if mine came in because of a comment she made. But if you're actively thinking or saying that someone is a bad person or player OOCly for actions that took place ICly you're doing it wrong. This mindset basically shoehorns and ensures that everyone will play very politically correct and non boat-rocking characters because of fear of being excluded.

...And that would be lame and boring as hell. :cactuar:

Edit: Ty for the rep guys. :lol:

Roleplaying is a 'serious business' to some people. And heaven forbid if you don't follow their 'rules' and automatically adore their special little snowflakes.

What's funny to me, personally, is when people are aggressively unpleasant and wrong. The Quicksand being adventurers only -- that's just incorrect, and someone getting bent out of shape making that claim needs to Educate Themselves.

Really, there's no place for being a jerk OOC. Any given person is going to have character concepts and RP that they don't like, and the good RPer just avoids that RP. There's some RP that really rubs me the wrong way, and my response is simply to not be where it's happening. The people who like it can do their thing and I can do mine; there's room on the server for all of us. :)

By the by, if a person follows you around and continues a behavior after you ask them to stop and leave the area, that's harassment and should be reported to the GMs. Just sayin'.

I think people have sent in the harassment reports to GMs. Some things to keep in mind.

It may take anywhere from less than an hour to more for the GMs to contact you. Even if they are harassing other people in your scene, it must be the victim that files the report.

Also they might still be there every other day in their groups or lonesome doing it

Which brings me to another point;  I've noticed that there's 'aloooooooooooot' of Gossiping going around players. People being shunned for their characters IC actions out of OOC reactions. "You char insulted my char! I don't want to play with you anymore!" Is one such example. Also, it seems everyone knows what IC/OOC, no bleed through etc mean, and yet there's still a big amount of roleplayers who, while they know how to write and play their role, do not know how to seperate themselves from their fictive character. A certain degree of attachment is okay, since your character is a piece of work you've created, but some people take it really too far. Dare to upset another player through playing a character that isn't as sociable and friendly as the rest, And suddenly you find yourself in a gossip circle where your name gets mentioned in a very negative light. And that being your OOC name. I've never yet heard someone say 'his character is an asshole', when it comes to IC handlings. I only hear people go 'The player is an asshole, his character did A;B;C'. This I say firsthand, happen to various people, Which would lead back to that 'missunderstood' point Faye raised.

I can echo this wholeheartedly.

For example, Roswyn is pretty icy to most right off the bat and people automatically assume that extends to me when it really doesn't. If you've ever had me in a linkshell, gotten a message or rep from me you know I'm plenty nice. Yet, when Roswyn says things or takes actions in game I've seen people get very upset about it.

I've even had people comment that I should disclaimer myself as "Mean Char - Nice OOC!" And I just...I facepalm a little and I ask "Are we roleplaying here or not?" I could be the Abominable Snowman OOCly and if you're letting it affect your desires to roleplay with people and shunning them out of things that's a little...unprofessional in my humble opinion.

I've seen this on the other end too. People have told me "Oh, don't RP with "xxx" because his character is a "xxxx"." My reaction to this is the following:

"Well, Roswyn doesn't know this guy at all and has zero reasons to shun someone that harshly right off the bat. If there are IC consequences then I'll play those out."

It could be possible that your character might leave if mine came in because of a comment she made. But if you're actively thinking or saying that someone is a bad person or player OOCly for actions that took place ICly you're doing it wrong. This mindset basically shoehorns and ensures that everyone will play very politically correct and non boat-rocking characters because of fear of being excluded.

...And that would be lame and boring as hell. :cactuar:

I've been RPing for about 15 years now if I remember correctly. (Old UO times yay!)

When I was still young I had the same mindset and looking back at it I'm quite ashamed of it. I think one of the main problems why this happens is the fact that a lot of people see their character as their own precious creation. (which I do too btw.)

The bad thing about it is that some people become obsessed over it and if their character gets hurt, insulted or some similiar "mean" treatment happens to them they will take it personally. Think of it as someone insulting your kid/girlfriend/mom/whatever.

It sounds crazy but a lot of people tick that way.

Apart from trying to talk to them and trying to tell them not to take it personally there's unfortunately not a lot you can do about it. During the time I reacted like that I learned the hard way that I was in the wrong, since a lot of people stopped RPing with me during that time. But looking back at it I'm glad for it. It made me realize that Villains and/or seemingly cold people are just as important for RP as the "good guys" to keep it interesting.

I had a particular experience in running an event last night that may be relevant to this topic. I was running a dream sequence in Fury's Gaze in Coerthas, but I did not get the memo that this had apparently become an extremely popular place for people to spam kill the mobs inside. During our 2 1/2 hour event, at least three separate people came in to kill these mobs. As an event runner, you can imagine my particular level of thrill in handling this extra, unexpected element.

When we arrived, there was a Miqo from in there, doing her thing. I sent her a couple of polite PM's, and she said "okay, no problem" and left. That worked out well, and she seemed entirely understanding when I asked if she could level elsewhere for a bit so I could run this event for my LS.

No more than 10 minutes later, another person came in and started killing the mobs. I was posting like four paragraphs to set a description for the scene, and he stopped killing things and did a random emote at me. His name was Mini Boss, so I was worried about griefing, but after his emote I sent him a tell of "Hi there! :D"

"Are you guys role players?"

"Yes! I'm currently running a scene right now for my LS. It's kind of a dream sequence though ^^; "

"That's really cool! I'd love to join you guys sometime! :D"

And then I sent him a link to our site, and he ran out of the cave for a bit. Yet another person checked in to kill things during this pause, but when they saw us RPing there, they just turned around and left.

The lalafell I gave our site to applied pretty much on the spot, and he came back to tell me as much. He then kept killing things, but he pulled the mobs behind the group for the duration of things. I just turned down my sound effects and it didn't bother me overly much. I figured that he was there for... leveling his Chocobo or whatever, and also wanted to stay close enough to read what we were doing. I checked his FC and it wasn't a roleplaying one, so if he does have a genuine interest in RP, I'm cautiously excited about taking him under our wing. ^^

I also once partied with a group of people who were friends with each other, and we were spamming the first room of AV. They made a couple of cracks about RPers, but I joked along with them (while simultaneously conveying that I was also one of "those people.") And then they went on to say that they liked hanging around the Quicksand and reading our stuff while waiting for their Duty Finder. They said some of the stuff they'd read was funny-bad, but that some stuff was genuinely interesting. It was kind of nice to see the more passive, mellow side of our PVE-only counterparts.

And I think the majority of people are like this. We just tend to pay attention to the trolls and griefers because they bark the loudest. But I'd say that every time I've been griefed in /shout, there has been someone else who says something like " I'm not an RPer but don't be an *******. Just let them play the game how they want." And then there's usually a small back and forth, but I'd long since blacklisted the original shout-griefers by that point. :P

My typical stance is to be friendly and give them the benefit of the doubt. If they end up being trolls, I just blacklist, turn off effects if they're spamming spells and carry on.

Yeah, that's a very valid possibility as well. Then there's other factors such as differences in culture, speech and so on. I've had a lot of people - usually Americans - claim that my manner of speech can be seen as very blunt. In reality it's nothing personal, I'm just very...British!

I've been said from time to time that I am rude.. While in fact it's just vocabulary problem and the fact that we are more direct in our way to talk in french and when we translate without thinking about the general form of our sentence (you know.. Just to talk and not thinking 5mn for EACH sentence), it's sometime taken as being rude.. While we're just normal for us ._. .

That is something that bugs me a lot. More than every troll I could came across (and I saw a lot, which pushed me and Nebbs to RP directly in LS at some point and avoiding some place.. Trust me, having a FC house was a relief), the fact that some people can so hastily judge you and tag you as rude without even thinking that they are wandering in an INTERNATIONAL server and so not everybody around is british / NA is for me the worse. RPer or not (yes, even RPer), people forget to considerate that point and will become pretty harsh themselves while you definitly don't deserve it and you're just yourself struggling with the language or just communicating "relaxed" and not thinking overly of the form of what you're saying.

So please, before tagging anybody as rude, blunt or troll.. Just keep in mind that not everybody is NA / British and sometimes it's more around culture / struggles with language than anything linked to a want to harm.

• 10 months later...

Why was this thread necroed. :(

Behemoth isn't largely recognized as an RP server. Sadly, that sort of thing is more likely to happen on a server that is not Balmung (or to a lesser extent, Gilgamesh). But ultimately, no one can run you off or make you do anything. Report, blacklist, ignore.

I always find situations such as that to be rather fascinating. I've long since been a bit of an 'outsider' within the role-playing communities that I've been a part of simply because I'm very careful about who exactly I approach and associate with.

Interestingly enough I've found that many of the role-players who are praised to the heavens as being friendly and welcoming happen to be far from that when dealing with anybody other than their close friends or those willing to fawn over them. What's even more interesting is that many of those with a terrible reputation have in fact turned out to be incredibly misunderstood and friendly, eager to go out of their way to help people they don't even know.

this is so true I was RPing on Behemoth and if people know you RP you are pushed off the server from the players and not from GM or SE staff. IT's sad that the toxic players are taking over a good game.

Behemoth isn't largely recognized as an RP server. Sadly, that sort of thing is more likely to happen on a server that is not Balmung (or to a lesser extent, Gilgamesh). But ultimately, no one can run you off or make you do anything. Report, blacklist, ignore.

It just happened recently and I never seen the post before.

I've almost never been bothered.  However, I tend to only rp in public rarely. When I do it is usually somewhat comedic or otherwise plain conversation in city limits, a lot of the time, so if there were trolls, they probably read my chat and thought it was benign or mundane enough to leave me alone.

I saw a post on reddit somewhere there's a group who players who -get this- what roleplayers to stop roleplaying in a roleplaying game.

It boggles the mind, doesn't it?

There used to be a group on Star Wars Galaxies that was anti-roleplayer and would go to great lengths to disrupt RP and harass roleplayers.  I remember one event where a group of their members showed up at an RP event and one of them asked something along the lines of "You do realize you don't really live in this world, don't you?", and I replied "You do realize that at some basic level, you ARE roleplaying, don't you?  Because unless you are a Bounty Hunter or a Smuggler in real life, you are kinda playing the role.".  It all devolved into the group shouting the sort of witty insults you might expect from a sleepy 2-year-old.  

I also quite liked a friend's response to a similar situation:  "Oh no!  RP in an MMORPG!  Next thing you know, people will chat in chatrooms!  Total anarchy!".

I saw a post on reddit somewhere there's a group who players who -get this- what roleplayers to stop roleplaying in a roleplaying game.

To be honest, I'm not sure what you're saying.

A group of players are telling people to stop roleplaying?

But I mean, from what I can tell, most people treat MMORGPs as single player games that are designed to allow you to play with other people. Encouraged. Demanded. I didn't play Chrono Trigger, Earthbound or Final Fantasy VI to roleplay even though those are all RPGs. This is not to say that they are allowed to actively harass or grief (GMs in FFXIV will at least say they appreciate your reports and we know they have come to watch some of the RP events).

It just happened recently and I never seen the post before.

The question was why post in a thread that actually required you to make a search for it. The last post was almost one YEAR ago. One year... typically allows you to create a new thread.

[Modhat on]

Due to this thread being almost a year old and the original commentary relation the situation to the time, I am going ahead and locking this thread. I would encourage that a new thread is made for the subject if there is a desire for such still to be discussed. Cheers! 

[Modhat off]