[Idea-Shopping] Dubious Day: Swap Meet and Junk Exchange

Verad

I've been working on some small events with my FC - mostly plot and Rug-related stuff - but after some conversation with Aya I'm kicking around the idea of doing a larger event in the form of a swap-meet.

The basics:

1. Arrive bearing junk. Gently or heavily-used, garbage or not, cursed or un-cursed. Nothing immediately and obviously life-threatening and no old foodstuffs.

2. Interact with other players. Share and exchange junk. Use your character's garbage to give other people plot opportunities.

3. Possibly also an artist's alley for characters who are novices at their particular talents, and where more advanced artists can offer them critiques

4. ???

5. Verad profits somehow.

Would people be interested in attending a meet-up like this? Right now I have it set up as one-time, but if interest turns out to be larger in scale I can expand that to include more frequent appearances.

...I love swap meets. There's one that's held every Sunday at the drive-in theater near my mom's place. ALWAYS a treat going there. It's fun, there's concessions (fooooooood), you get to see neat and interesting things, you get to acquire awesome stuff at bargain prices, etc.

For something like this, you don't even need to be a professional merchant or peddler to show up and sell/trade.

I'm all for a swap-meet.

I will show!

... with... someone.

And something.

*has no idea yet what and who or why*

For a second I really had the thinking of Roen bringing Nero as a "junk exchange" 

I should join in on this because it seems very interesting.

I meant MY character! Which one of my characters I will bring!

I will show!

... with... someone.

And something.

For a second I really had the thinking of Roen bringing Nero as a "junk exchange" 

Hey! Nero is a strong independent smuggler who don't need no paladin! :dodgy:

This event sounds fun!

Everyone has stuff to bring after the big housing craze.

Little crafted and gathering goods from learning trades.

Hunters with furs and stuff! Whee! 

Jancis can do a farmer market kind of goods with some random wild-picked goods. Fruits, nuts, flowers! :lol:

Pillar swapping? That sounds like a whole different event...

I will show!

... with... someone.

And something.

I should join in on this because it seems very interesting.

I meant MY character! Which one of my characters I will bring!

I'm -sure- you did... Completely. ;)

Okay enough people have validated this thread's existence that I feel comfortable proceeding.

Time, day, and location are concerns. Ideal times for me are Sunday evening or during the early part of the week before Thursday. Sunday would probably be most convenient for weekend players, ditto evenings.

Considering this is a swap-meet, it would probably not be able to pay the necessary fees to the Monetarists to be held in Ul'dah itself. I am personally considering the Silver or Golden Bazaars (don't worry Limsa/Gridania, if I do this again I will next place it in your locales), but if anybody else has other suggestions I would happily take them.

Perhaps there should be spaces for dedicated vendors like Jancis and then open spaces where anyone can sit and sell. Thoughts? And if so, who would like to be one of the aforementioned vendors?

Holding the event in Vesper Bay will kill Verad's soul for Reasons, but if that is the best place then that is the best place, especially if it can bring in La Noscean traffic.

Next question is finding enough vendors. If you have a craftsperson who sells wares IC or know someone who does, and wants to sell their lower-quality work (the only stipulation here is that the items be dubious in some form, after all), plesae have them contact me in-game or through this thread.