Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's?

Now I know what most of you are typing as we speak, that a majority of people who combat RP do it unfairly, but thats not the point.

I recently started a story arc centered around the linkshell I am in right now. As a result, I wanted the first chapter to include criminal's for story and RP purposes. Not to just beat up and fight as so I contacted a leader to one of the linshells of a criminal RP group located on the Balmung which shall remain unnamed. I was generally received well at first. We were having a good time but as soon as I mentioned that I RPed as a combat character, they suddenly turned viscous on me, called my character a Mary Sue (Which it isn't!) and refused to RP with me.

Now I dont power play or combat RP all the time. I think it's bad RP just to combat RP for the sake of combat RP or to do it just because you want to be the best fighter. Fighting should have very deep meaning and I felt it to be a very painful stab when they still refused to help out with the story, even after I explained calmly and rationally how I was different from other RP fighters.

So is it bad to be a combat RPer just because the bunch of them ruin it for the few of us who are good at it? I dont think so. I mean, yes, you should be careful to judge people who combat RP because they might just be like the rest, but if you give them time to explain how they would fight or rationalize the strength of their character very carefully, they could very well prove to be some of the good combat RPers on the server.

Also, since unnamed bailed on being the criminal group that would participate in the arc, would anybody like to come in and help fill the hole? I will generally take anyone at this point, so long as we can work IC reasons and stuff out.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost everyone on this board does combat RP from time to time. So either

A: They're jerks

B: You're doing it in a jerky way

Not sure what else there is to say. If this is the first time it happened, maybe A, if it happens a lot, probably B.

Almost everyone on this board does combat RP from time to time. So either

A: They're jerks

B: You're doing it in a jerky way

Not sure what else there is to say. If this is the first time it happened, maybe A, if it happens a lot, probably B.

It was A. I mean, I left them to their devices on good terms, but they are the first group to outright reject me just for being a combat RPer.

It might have been, but it's biased just to assume that just because someone combat RP's, they are a jerk. That should never be used as a defining aspect, ever, because that just show's how ignorant some people are to those who want to approach them for RP.

Note that I did not want to combat RP with them. I wanted them to RP with me for interaction or story, but they got all upset just because I said I was a combat RPer.

I may be repeating things but I digress.

I don't think it is wise to go on a forum and call out a FC, particularly when said FC does frequent these forums. 

Personally, I would find it a turn off. Combat RP makes me uncomfortable. I still RP it though but I don't want to anymore than the story calls for. You describe yourself as a 'Combat RPer' who does other forms of rp besides combat rp. Then ultimately you prioritize that form of rp over others since that is what you like? I would say it is a turn off simply in the form of my preferences being different from yours. I guess what you'd really need is just to find other Rpers with the same interests.

In Guild Wars 2 I used to combat RP a fair bit and I never got negative feedback about it. Sorry to hear that you did. If healthy OOC communication is taking place during the combat, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with combat RP. I have a criminal character that does combat, feel free to send a tell to Hardy Boulder and we can work something out if you need another.

I think people are getting the wrong message. I am not trashing *redacted*. I have complete and utter respect for their decision to not RP with me and I respect that. I just wanted to point out that I wasnt recieved very well by them cause I had a combat oriented character. There is nothing trashing about that.

Also on another note, I make the distinction that RPer's who dont combat are just talk and character development RPers whereas combat RPers do combat but they also do the same stuff as listed in the combat RPer section.

I think people are getting the wrong message. I am not trashing (name removed). I have complete and utter respect for their decision to not RP with me and I respect that. I just wanted to point out that I wasnt recieved very well by them cause I had a combat oriented character. There is nothing trashing about that.

Also on another note, I make the distinction that RPer's who dont combat are just talk and character development RPers whereas combat RPers do combat but they also do the same stuff as listed in the combat RPer section.

You accused them of verbally abusing you and calling your character a Mary Sue and then refusing to RP with you.  You need to edit the name out.

I think people are getting the wrong message. I am not trashing *redacted*. I have complete and utter respect for their decision to not RP with me and I respect that. I just wanted to point out that I wasnt recieved very well by them cause I had a combat oriented character. There is nothing trashing about that.

You accused them of verbally abusing you and calling your character a Mary Sue and then refusing to RP with you.  You need to edit the name out.

You're taking what I said out of context. They never verbally abused me. One guy called a Mary Sue, but I was still not well received by the rest of them just because I RPed as a combat character.

We were having a good time but as soon as I mentioned that I RPed as a combat character, they suddenly turned viscous on me, called my character a Mary Sue (Which it isn't!) and refused to RP with me.

You're taking what I said out of context. They never verbally abused me. One guy called a Mary Sue, but I was still not well received by the rest of them just because I RPed as a combat character.

You're free to refuse to edit out the names, but I'm directly quoting you up there.  That's not something that should be posted with names.  You don't have to edit out the names, but it would go a long way towards making you look like less of a tool.  It might also keep your thread from being locked or deleted.

I sense hostility.

Well he is a combat RPer :cactuar:.

I sense hostility.

Well he is a combat RPer :cactuar:.

That's racist, Natalie!

...or something.

Im not changing anything because this is an important issue that need's to be addressed. If someone called you're character a mary sue, without even knowing how you RP or what you're RP history was for that matter, you would get mad too.

If someone is going to get upset and then call my character a mary sue for the reasons above and refuse to RP, I have every right to call them on that.

This is not me being angry or hostile, this is me bringing forward an important issue and it need's to be addressed on a large scale instead of being ignored because these assumptions or biased reasons need to be stopped.

Im not changing anything because this is an important issue that need's to be addressed. If someone called you're character a mary sue, without even knowing how you RP or what you're RP history was for that matter, you would get mad too.

No, I wouldn't. Why would I?

If that's the case Live, why is the name important?

I've made threads similar to this before, but I've never said the name, because the issue was what was important, not calling someone out.

Liadan is right here, and the fact you're so insistently resisting anonymity implies that your real goal is to have everyone know that a certain group of people said mean things to you.

if someone called my characters a mary sue I'd lol pretty hard actually.:cactuar:

No, I wouldn't. Why would I?

I'd get annoyed.  :dodgy:  But there's so many fish in the sea, I'd be like, "yeah, whatever" and move on.  Or at least try to clarify what the other person believed made my character a "Mary Sue."

I wouldn't come to the RPC and post about my private issues with them by name, however.