Is being a fighting RPer a turn off to other RPer's?

Re: that distinction... I don't want to use that term (I hate saying "combat RP") but I find that it is important to have because it distinguishes between the more passive and the more active play-styles/writing-styles/what-have-you.

As a matter of personal preference, for example, I can't abide characters who do nothing but talk, talk, talk. I don't care if your character is going to free some slaves through coin or through a long and grueling legal process, or spend their days jotting down notes and writing new texts on Arcanum, or fight off an undead army of zombies with a holy sword, or run down some footpad who just stole some old lady's purse, or trip and fall because some dubious peddler left his goods lying about in the middle of the street: a character has to live and breathe, IMO, and you can't have that by just standing around and talking all the time. It's why I can't stand tavern RP in anything more than small doses.

So the distinction has some purpose; it's not entirely unnecessary.

Also, what Liadan and the others have said. Keep names out of it, if for no other reason than because a mod/admin will come down hard on this thread if you don't.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not changing anything because this is an important issue that need's to be addressed. If someone called you're character a mary sue, without even knowing how you RP or what you're RP history was for that matter, you would get mad too.

if someone called my characters a mary sue I'd lol pretty hard actually.:cactuar:

I'd go "Damn... you found me out."

I'd get annoyed.  :dodgy:  But there's so many fish in the sea, I'd be like, "yeah, whatever" and move on.  Or at least try to clarify what the other person believed made my character a "Mary Sue."

I wouldn't come to the RPC and post about my private issues with them by name, however.

Setting aside the public airing of private grievances (in short, I agree with you), "Mary Sue" is such a broadly overused and misapplied term that I might as well get mad because somebody called me a hipster. It could mean anything.

I'd get annoyed.  :dodgy:  But there's so many fish in the sea, I'd be like, "yeah, whatever" and move on.  Or at least try to clarify what the other person believed made my character a "Mary Sue."

I wouldn't come to the RPC and post about my private issues with them by name, however.

Setting aside the public airing of private grievances (in short, I agree with you), "Mary Sue" is such a broadly overused and misapplied term that I might as well get mad because somebody called me a hipster. It could mean anything.

I generally interpret it as, "You are doing something I don't like, so I'm going to call you names to make myself feel better."

Im not changing anything because this is an important issue that need's to be addressed. If someone called you're character a mary sue, without even knowing how you RP or what you're RP history was for that matter, you would get mad too.

if someone called my characters a mary sue I'd lol pretty hard actually.:cactuar:

I'd go "Damn... you found me out."

Mary Sue McBeef sounds like a pretty badass name, not gonna lie.

The OP has been updated... but yes. Aside from all the joke making and the pointing out of my personal grievances on the web, which I dont really mind because the grievances are relevant to the point otherwise I wouldn't bother making a thread, is that it's unfair to hate on someone just because of what they like in terms of RP. Mary Sue is a very loaded word for me, of that which I do not like.

I generally interpret it as, "You are doing something I don't like, so I'm going to call you names to make myself feel better."

I think it's high time we took it back.

Liadan, I love your character, she's so Mary Sue!

These days, I interpret that term, however used or applied, as someone trying to get the following gist across:

"Your character is either too close to perfect, or else has too many things going right in their life. They are too competent, too secure, and/or too disruptive when placed into a situation with other characters who are less perfect, less lucky, less competent, and/or less secure."

LOL.

Wow, that's funny. Because I remember someone doing just that very same thing to me in a Char Dev thread about rolling your D&D stats.

Wow, that's funny. Because I remember someone doing just that very same thing to me in a Char Dev thread about rolling your D&D stats.

I believe it's because the pot enjoys calling the kettle black. :)

These days, I interpret that term, however used or applied, as someone trying to get the following gist across:

"Your character is either too close to perfect, or else has too many things going right in their life. They are too competent, too secure, and/or too disruptive when placed into a situation with other characters who are less perfect, less lucky, less competent, and/or less secure."

LOL.

Crap.  I've been outed.  :cactuar:

Edited to Add: I got a 13! xD

Wow, that's funny.  Because I remember someone doing just that very same thing to me in a Char Dev thread about rolling your D&D stats.

I believe it's because the pot enjoys calling the kettle black. :)

I do believe you are correct. Quick to point at others and protests too much when the charge is leveled in kind.

I got 16, then I decided that's too low, and Nat needs to be a Vampire, and also in a lesbian relationship with Nanamo.

Owned.

I think you've broken the scale, this requires a new classification of sueness, McSue, Nat-sue?

Natsue... I suddenly feel the need to go get sushi.

I got 16, then I decided that's too low, and Nat needs to be a Vampire, and also in a lesbian relationship with Nanamo.

Owned.

I think you've broken the scale, this requires a new classification of sueness, McSue, Nat-sue?

YES!

Oh... Natsue..

Owned.

Sue Beef! It's what has you for dinner! And gets away with it with her high powered lesbian connections.  

Edit cuz Aysun has a point:

I also can't say one way or the other if anyone was in the 'wrong'.  Without seeing logs and seeing how things were presented and taken. Or see if it was just a clash of styles. And hopefully it'll be a point that is brought up sooner by the folks that backed out of the plot in the future so this doesn't happen again. Since it's a fairly relevant point to make for two opposing groups or individuals.

And I've also never heard of anyone distinguishing themselves as a 'combat' rper. But no, there is nothing wrong with adding combat into your RP. There is even a thread here in these forums discussing the various ways people incorporate combat and try to keep it fair. There have been several places I've seen tips being given to new folks wanting to join RP or start RP combat.

But I think you have the right of it. Trying to find others that are more in line with your own RP tastes. If they don't want any physical conflict ever in their RP then that's their choice I suppose. And I am sorry it took so long for them to tell you combat conflict wasn't something they'd do. Hope you manage to find others that are more in line with what you're looking for in your plot.

Guys, I know you're all trying to just make light of things, but the manner in which you're doing it is kind of ehhhh...

The OP is airing her grievance, opted to edit her posts on your request (finally), and does have a good point as far as people being possibly discriminatory against an RP style (cuz dat ain't cool). Should just offer your advice or opinion if you have some and leave it at that rather than further derail her thread.

Honestly, the whole 'combat RPer' distinction I think is unnecessary. Without seeing logs, I can't say who I would think is in the right or wrong in your situation.

I got a 12 on the litmus test. I've been thinking of changing my character a bit though... She could stand to stand out a little more.

To answer the question in title of the thread, I think there are definitely some people who are leery of combat-based RP characters, largely because combat in RP can be difficult to enforce. I'm sure most everyone has run into SuperBatGoku characters by now.