help me flesh my character out with some RP?

lmao, I think the whm thing is probably not a big worry for now, since until further notice I'll play what I know, aka Conjurer -- so I would rather see people take that debate and/or comments on the subject to another thread, if it is possible to request that. since this is a thread more for people to offer to RP with me a little so I can kinda trial-and-error character design. (I didn't mean to run into a wall of controversy, woops.)

thanks for the RP/wiki page mention, Franz!! it was fun to talk to someone who rolls with the punches, and also helps me figure out how the weird should be manifested properly so it will be what I'm trying to make it. and will look forward to talking to you again if we can make a time sometime! might have some time tomorrow evening, lol 9 - 5:30 work day. )': should be home by 6pm pst though, if not 5:45pm.

and will look forward to talking to you again if we can make a time sometime! might have some time tomorrow evening, lol 9 - 5:30 work day. )': should be home by 6pm pst though, if not 5:45pm.

Any time! ...if you happento see my online and I'm not in a duty, there's a very high chance I'm free. Send me a /tell any time. (And I'll try to return the favor)

Hi!

I'm still strutting around Gridania and the Shroud, despite having the game for a while now. First, it was the obnoxious installation and patching (Of course, quite a few are witness to that!), and now there's the added burden of college. :dodgy:

I'm totally up for RPing! Truth be told, though, I haven't RPed yet myself, so it should be a learning experience for me too, and it'll help me flesh out and get to know Eleni as well. The problem is that I will only be available on the weekends! (Hey, but it's close! :D  )

On the white mage thing, I have to agree with Edgar. Why can't it be that after a first non Padjal WHM, others followed? And from the posts, I get that a WHM is very special, and being one would make your character kind of unique, but I don't know, I think it should be okay to RP a WHM. I know I won't mind if I meet a WHM IC, and if anything, I'll actually support it. (Oh, dear, I hope no one runs after me with torches and pitchforks after this! :| )

That said, I hope to see you around in about a day, and some hours. Approximately 30 hours from now, I'll be online! (Hopefully!) Looking forward to meeting you, and to RPing with you!

ps. I typed this from my phone, and I'm too lazy :P to check if there are any errors, so excuse any that exist!

I echo what Liadan said. WHM are not only unique but... insanely powerful! Lore or not... I'd avoid RPing one simply because i'd be so damn tempted to smite everyone with Holy! xD

Hey look! A Miqo'te is hitting on me

*holy*

*blinks*

*sips drink*

*wags tail*

:3

Wow, this issue on White Mages is particularly sensitive, isn't it? :surprise:

I'm not a lore scholar (hey, I'm still relatively new and learning, and I will continue to try and learn as much as I can) but by reading all the posts in this thread, I learnt new stuff, and I guess it's a good idea to just stick to the lore, huh? (And please correct me if I ever make a mistake in the lore department :| )

Still, powerful conjurers can be powerful, right? :D

That brings up the question, though, why would SE put players in such a predicament? Either let non Padjal be a WHM (and not just one special cookie out of everyone else), or not make WHM such a big thing?

ps. I hate posting through my phone. :dodgy:

I echo what Liadan said. WHM are not only unique but... insanely powerful! Lore or not... I'd avoid RPing one simply because i'd be so damn tempted to smite everyone with Holy! xD

Hey look! A Miqo'te is hitting on me

*holy*

*blinks*

*sips drink*

*wags tail*

:3

May the Twelve have mercy on the Miqo'te population! (And save us all from the day when RPing a WHM just for spamming holy randomly on innocent bystanders becomes a reality!)

SE did a good job of handling the "single-player" component of the game: The main story quest feels appropriately scaled to a Final Fantasy storyline and your class quests make it clear (in most classes, anyway) that you are definitely the Chosen One. This causes some ugly snares for those of us not sticking to that storyline, though. Minor spoilers, I suppose.

The paladin story quests basically entail your character getting swept up in an investigation. The events and folks involved are fairly important but in the telling of the story, your character almost doesn't matter; You are witness to the narrative, and it shows that Free Paladins are just Good People who are given their title. Compare this to the Dragoon storyline, wherein you are definitely The Chosen One: Your armor is special, your role is special, you are special, and you are hinted at at being immensely powerful and a Dragoon like no other.

I haven't done the WHM storyline beyond unlocking it (lazy Paladin looking for Stoneskin powers ACTIVATE) but White Mages use magic beyond your basic Conjury. This is precious, ancient, powerful magic and not something that just anybody can wield. It's a Big Deal that someone who isn't a Padjal becomes one, and while I could see it starting a trend, it's still difficult to explain that the elementals are suddenly just okay with handing out Succor to anyone lining up.

We need some elaboration from Square on the state of adventurers and jobs canonically: Dragoons are only supposed to come form Ishgard, Monks are a low-population brotherhood, Warriors are a forgotten art, etc. It's difficult to explain there being so many more of them now in the greater narrative, especially when Paladins are so easily explained and recruitable.

You can hardly tell what class I paid attention to, huh?

Wow, this issue on White Mages is particularly sensitive, isn't it? :surprise:

I'm not a lore scholar (hey, I'm still relatively new and learning, and I will continue to try and learn as much as I can) but by reading all the posts in this thread, I learnt new stuff, and I guess it's a good idea to just stick to the lore, huh? (And please correct me if I ever make a mistake in the lore department :| )

Still, powerful conjurers can be powerful, right? :D

That brings up the question, though, why would SE put players in such a predicament? Either let non Padjal be a WHM (and not just one special cookie out of everyone else), or not make WHM such a big thing?

ps. I hate posting through my phone. :dodgy:

Faye summed it up pretty well here. (Post 17)

TLDR of my interpretation: Because each person has different views on the lore, and the timeline of the game's continuity, RPing as a WHM can present itself as a problem to part of the community, as it would get divided into one of three categories.

1. Characters who view thier lore as Post-Calamity, but without the Main Scenerio Quest
  2. Characters who view thier lore as Post-Calamity, and are part of the ongoing Main Scenerio Quest, wherever it may be
  3. Characters who view thier lore as Post-Calamity, after the Main Scenerio Quest, wherever it may be

Depending on which category you'd fall in, some issues can arise when dealing with the lore, as each smaller number is a subset of what can be done in the bigger ones. Anyone from 1) can be resolved to fir the idea of lore for 2) and 3), and anyone in 2) can be resolved for 3), but it doesn't go the other way aorund.

For WHM:

1) would state that WHMs are rare, and limited to the Padjal now.

2) would state that the Padjal are /just starting/ to consider a non-Padjal from becoming a WHM, and they /might/ have let some super awesome adventurer who proved themself "worthy" learn the art.

3) would say that after said aventurer showed a non-Padjal could do it, they have begun letting others learn as well, albiet keeping a close on them.

For the Main-Scenerio as well:

1) A strictly FFXIV 2.0 World and Setting

2) Anywhere between 2.0 to 2.35 (at this time)

3) At 2.35 (at this time)

Ultimately, it would come down to which of the groups you'd fall in to, which is seen as limiting RP opportunity, so a lot of people will kind of group into 1) to maximize their chances of RP without potentially causing issues if something they do cannot be resolved to its lore. But with all of these, there's of course lore-bending with them all. If you find a group of players that fall within a certain interpretation of the lore you want to follow, RP with them!

We're all [most mature (or I like to think I am)] adults and we can be responsible and reasonable. It's still a game, and should be fun, so do/RP what is fun for you!

side note: I probably fall into 3) in terms of my own personal preferences, but when in public, act closer to 1) with the average player. you can always be something without broadcasting it, and really, if a person has a major issue with something their character /shouldn't/ know, there could be deeper issues.

*Not-so-undercover Garlean walks off into the sunrise*

I get the feeling that SE feels the story is nifty and cool and does a good job of casting the player character as the Hero, so they're fine with it. The quest stands out a bit in that it casts the player rather more as the One and Only Hero compared to many of the other quest lines, Job or otherwise, where you're just one of many heroes.

There's a lot of elements that inform one's position on WHM in RP. There's where one is in the MSQ, one's read on the state of Gridania and the elementals of the Shroud post-Calamity, one's interpretation of the rather weird WHM Job quest (which is rather unlike some of the other Job quests and has some inconsistencies in its writing), one's opinion on SE's lore about Jobs on the main XIV site, what other Job quests one has done (SMN and MNK address soul stones very directly, but their take is different than PLD, WHM, and BLM) and how you reconcile their varying lore, one's opinion about how common Jobs are in general, etc. All of these together result in some quite varying opinions on the viability of WHM, ranging from "absolutely unplayable by any PC under any circumstances" to "it's okay with a narrative justification" and several other opinions in between.

I say playing a WHM is likely to cause problems because there's little consensus and two diametrically opposed camps; if you run into people who feel what you're doing is lore breaking, there's not much you can do in terms of RP there. To maximize the people you can RP with, it's generally advisable to avoid concepts like White Mage that are quite polarizing.

right, this thread is for asking people to RP with me some kind of first-encounter exploratory greetings and sillies. rather than, well, sitting and debating over different opinions on the current state of the white mage job.

so, is anyone still up for that? ):

I have ideas for backstory that are becoming more solidified the more I play thru the story and read up on lore and such -- but that still doesn't help me with present-day characterization, which is why I need to do a little RPing. even if our characters never meet again, that's fine, too. I literally just need some people to RP with me as an impromptu anything-goes kind of thing, and I'll get a feel for what I'm doing and want to do intuitively.

(also, does anyone RP FFXIV-related things over tumblr? if so, what tags should I track? I would like to know this, since tumblr is my preferred RP medium these days and I plan to make an rp blog there, too.)

right, this thread is for asking people to RP with me some kind of first-encounter exploratory greetings and sillies. rather than, well, sitting and debating over different opinions on the current state of the white mage job.

I have ideas for backstory that are becoming more solidified the more I play thru the story and read up on lore and such -- but that still doesn't help me with present-day characterization, which is why I need to do a little RPing. even if our characters never meet again, that's fine, too. I literally just need some people to RP with me as an impromptu anything-goes kind of thing, and I'll get a feel for what I'm doing and want to do intuitively.

I'm always open for RP, just about any time I'm on. (Like that one encounter). ...I'll be away on a business trip during the latter half of the week, so anytime I am on is RP time. (after ixal quests)

(also, does anyone RP FFXIV-related things over tumblr? if so, what tags should I track? I would like to know this, since tumblr is my preferred RP medium these days and I plan to make an rp blog there, too.)

This is the only tumblr-related thread I know of: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=7562

...Don't have one myself, but the people in that thread should be able to help point you in the right directions. :)

I'm totally up for RP!! I'm only around on the weekends, but on the weekends, I pretty much play ARR nonstop, so I'm sure you'll find me online, unless I have more pressing concerns, like more studies. :dodgy:

If I find you online, I'll send you a /tell, and we can RP. Or you can send me a /tell or just walk up and we can RP! Yay!

I'm totally up for RP!! I'm only around on the weekends, but on the weekends, I pretty much play ARR nonstop, so I'm sure you'll find me online, unless I have more pressing concerns, like more studies. :dodgy:

If I find you online, I'll send you a /tell, and we can RP. Or you can send me a /tell or just walk up and we can RP! Yay!

I usually only can play sundays because I work 8 hour days Thurs - Sat lately sobs. still, if Sunday is viable, I can try to catch you online, huhu ~

think your character will be in Gridania area anytime soon or should I come up with a reason to go elsewhere IC?

& I got you on skype now, C'kayah, so I assume I don't need to say anything here?

I usually only can play sundays because I work 8 hour days Thurs - Sat lately sobs. still, if Sunday is viable, I can try to catch you online, huhu ~

think your character will be in Gridania area anytime soon or should I come up with a reason to go elsewhere IC?

& I got you on skype now, C'kayah, so I assume I don't need to say anything here?

Perhaps I'll pop into the Shroud ICly as well. There's an event in Ul'dah this weekend that I have to miss on Saturday from work.

I'll pop up in Gridania. :)