PSA: Stop wasting money on level IV materia for Novus

Zyrusticae

If you're not doing Coil or serious endgame raiding, as long as you're hitting the Accuracy cap for the content you ARE doing, you've got carte blanche on your stats.

So the real question is, can this cap be reached with all other gear sans sword and shield? If so, I'm just going to stack avoidance because I've yet to see myself "miss" anything in this game. Even before I was i100 with tome gear.

I forget what the current acc caps are in regards to like, Exes and coil, but stalking Lodestone shows you at 490. I'm pretty sure that punches everything up until Twintania in the face 100% of the time.

If you're not doing Coil or serious endgame raiding, as long as you're hitting the Accuracy cap for the content you ARE doing, you've got carte blanche on your stats.

So the real question is, can this cap be reached with all other gear sans sword and shield?  If so, I'm just going to stack avoidance because I've yet to see myself "miss" anything in this game.  Even before I was i100 with tome gear.

I forget what the current acc caps are in regards to like, Exes and coil, but stalking Lodestone shows you at 490. I'm pretty sure that punches everything up until Twintania in the face 100% of the time.

iirc 515ish is good for T9 for tanks. T6 is ~489. So yup!

Required accuracy for each role in each turn of Binding Coil and Second Binding Coil. Might be slightly off, not sure if this references hard parses or anecdotes.

You're not going to miss Twin at 490 acc, Coat. 

According to the table linked above, 512 accuracy is required for tanks to not miss T9, 491 is required for all physical DPS and SMNs, 470 is required for the remaining DoM classes. 

For most classes, these are fairly easy to hit with a combination of soldiery/ST gear even before you start getting into High Allagan... and let's not forget food bonuses.

All of that to say I can build my Novus with as little effort as necessary because all I'm after is the base dps increase for dungeons. I've never set foot in any part of coil yet, and probably never will.

People will look at my relic and tsk at me as if I had put spirit gems in blue sockets versus stamina.

Suddenly I have a little more ambition to finish my Animus books.

Same. Well, I did finish the books, but then I completely pushed Novus to the side because I didn't really want to spend my life savings on it. From what I'm reading here, it seems my life savings wouldn't have even been enough *sweatdrops*.

Thank you for the info!

Considering I make the ACC cap for T9 with my crit/det Novus with to my other gear, that's kind of a moot argument as well. Plus, I'm not sure how spending the 4mil~ I made myself on materia and SBing for the rest of it is self-harm. It's virtual currency in a game, and I'm not sure what else I'd do with it, as I have no interest in housing or the other expensive items. I'm happy with my what I put on my bow and it works divinely for my purposes, and if that's "irrational," so be it.

The "self-harm" part comes from the time investment required to make that money/do that much SBing for something that doesn't concretely benefit you at all. On a scale of "totally worth it" to "you just wasted your time", it's pretty freakin' close to the latter, and that's on a VIDEO GAME scale. On an absolute (i.e. real-world) scale, it's a complete waste of time (though to be fair, this goes for almost the entirety of the relic weapon questline).

If you're happy with it, all the more power to you. I'm not going to encourage anyone to follow in your footsteps, however.

What I spend my time doing is my business. What I enjoy is also my business. I happened to enjoy making my gil, SBing when I was doing dungeons, and such. If I saw playing this game as a waste of time, I oddly enough, wouldn't play it. People place different value in different things, I happen to enjoy playing this game more than I would doing "real-world" hobbies.

I don't really care what you encourage people to do. I care that you slight people who do it differently from you.

I keep thinking that I'm wasting points on my shield by being over acc cap. Then I remember that 9 acc isn't going to turn into anything meaningful. Then I remember that my 13 parry isn't, either.

But then I wonder what a det/crit shield might do...

But then I think about maybe needing that accuracy for new content!

...but then I realize I'm not into Coil2 at all, so Coil3 is right out.

...but then I realize this'll be in the DF so I'll be able to knock it out like I did Twin.

...but then I realize I've got no static moving forward.

So I'm probably not going to change my shield.

As a reminder the Relic quest line is a side grade. You either get your main weapon from the top end raids or continue on the Relic quest.

It's more or less meant to be a status symbol when it's completed down in the line of patches.

Or buy a "soldiery" weapon. At this point those weapons seem to fill the sweet spot for people who don't want to deal with the relic quests but need a stand-in for something better.

It also depends on the stats you are willing to change on your weapon. If you keep the same stats, you will see only a slight improvement, but for me and my bow, I swapped from skill speed + accuracy to crit rate + determination + accuracy.. I can tell you that for me it changed a LOT !

Well, the problem in this case is that there are stat points that are just objectively superior to others (Skill Speed in particular suffering considerably simply because of the lack of strong TP management skills - once you run out of TP, SkSp does absolutely nothing for you).

Fortunately, the actual amount of difference between each stat is still minute enough that you can easily justify gunning for the cheaper option if you're so inclined.

Funny to see that I was talking about the skill speed problem this morning. Yes, skill speed on my side is more a problem than an help as even with invigorate, since my stuff improved as I earned more skill speed and the result is the TP drop even if I use invigorate at reuse and in really long fights I have to put paeon to grow them back.. Which means -20% damages. *grimaces*

What I meant in my first message (which was totaly not clear, I admit) is you won't see much difference if you keep the same secondary stats from the Animus to the Novus.

Going from your Animus Artemis Accuracy + Skill speed to a Novus Artemis Accuracy + Skill speed will make you feel like having earned nothing in the process. But if you change totaly the secondary stats you will feel the change.

However 1 point doesn't change much.. So swapping just 1 point on your novus with a new scroll feels pointless :o !

And I agree about having 3 stats rather than paying too much IV Materia, I do have a Novus Artemis with 3 stats and it's perfect how it is !

Even when upgrading to Nexus, the increases are very teensy. That said, someone did mention upgrading a budget bow and only seeing a single point of crit increase, so be mindful moving forward how the split might work.

It also depends on the stats you are willing to change on your weapon. If you keep the same stats, you will see only a slight improvement, but for me and my bow, I swapped from skill speed + accuracy to crit rate + determination + accuracy.. I can tell you that for me it changed a LOT !

Specifically, this:

Quote Originally Posted by Carraway View Post

Budget Artemis Bow Novus went from 33 crit/23 det/19 acc to...34 crit/23 det/19 acc.

Yes, that seems a huge amount of myth needed (as you need a new scroll, so 1500 myth) spent for nothing :/

As a reminder the Relic quest line is a side grade. You either get your main weapon from the top end raids or continue on the Relic quest.

It's more or less meant to be a status symbol when it's completed down in the line of patches.

Or buy a "soldiery" weapon. At this point those weapons seem to fill the sweet spot for people who don't want to deal with the relic quests but need a stand-in for something better.

Right now that's true. When the next and final coil turns come out it will be back to the Relic weapon and the next Allagan weapon again. With perhaps Shiva giving us a new sidegrade weapon of some sort or Soldiery weapon v2.

I think the big point of the Relic weapons was meant more to be openly available to both casual AND hardcore players whenever they please. It's not only practical (except for the Novus stage... because the stats on that bow is painful to look at), but they can be attained whenever the player wants to. It's a mere alternative for the players who can't raid, and whenever getting the non-raid top tier weapon is inconvenient in the current patch. Right now, that isn't the case since Syrcus Tower literally spits Sands of Times, Oils, and UAT in your face. Tough love!

But it won't always be this way, some patches it'll be hard for the casual players to get a good weapon outside of relic. Hence, the relic is there. It's also a good token to see how dedicated a player is! You know when you see a Nexus wielder, they fucking spent hours of days trying to get it from a babu relic to a big boy weapon.

Again, people will do what they want. If you wanna spend millions upon millions, be your guest! The money is yours, no one can tell you what to do with it.

Disclaimer: The word 'You' is a general term.

To people that like to min/max their dps/hps/tank ability it won't matter how small the values are, they will most likely still go for the expensive route.

I'm one of those crazy people that always tries to min/max as much as possible, however I also didn't want to spent much money for it, so I just got the materias by spiritbinding instead. When you spend like 30-40 hours to get your Novus finished you don't really care that much about doing some Spiritbinding for 5-10 hours xD

• 3 weeks later...

I kind of stopped working on my weapon at two or three books short of an Animus so I don't know exactly how the materia thing works but can someone explain to me what the speed possibilities are for a WHM? How much extra speed can they gain from stacking materia and how much of an effect can it have at best when compared to a budget attempt?