The power of Fantasia potions!

Pumpkinweed

• 1 month later...

I can and have gone along with fantasia potions being a viable, if rare/difficult to come by ingame thing. So will continue to do so. Jaques will react however he's going to react based on how the other person presented themselves both before the change and after the change.

And I always reserve the right to step away from RPing with someone, temporarily or permanently, if I just can't get into the way they present it. Ends up being too gimmicky/breaking immersion too much/constantly changing/whathaveyou for me to handle.

As others have said, it's been done and done well by some others here. So I won't condemn it and will go by a case-by-case basis.

/mytwogil

Just gonna toss in my two gil because I recently fantasia'd.

So there's openly accepted time travel in the lore and amazing allagan clones.. but fantasia is just not possible? Like what? Ok...

Fortunately I have not yet encountered any Time Travelling Allagan Clone characters :)

Same here. I tend to ignore fantasia ICly, but I've seen it done well and with a good story a few times (Kage and Lili).

Oh goodie~!

I did it ICly as part of a very minor storyline with a friend who was experimenting with fake Fantasias whose effects only lasted a few days before fading when the victim woke up. It was something Verad even poked at for a bit, but after those few days Lili never had a problem with it again.

It was also a good way to get rid of the potions since I was never going to use them on Lili anyways after aethetrician came out.

So there's openly accepted time travel in the lore and amazing allagan clones.. but fantasia is just not possible? Like what? Ok...

Fortunately I have not yet encountered any Time Travelling Allagan Clone characters :)

Anyone with a tattoo on their back is a character from 1.0 and therefore has.. time travelled? Time skipped? I'm sure most of them don't RP they're warriors of light and just say they have a random tattoo, which is just fine. But ...they very well could say they were a warrior of light and it would be perfectly within the lore to do so as long as they have that 1.0 tattoo.

...I've seen a couple of part-allagan royalty people with the one red eye like that npc in the lore. So that's also possible. And seeing as that miqo'te had the royal allagan eye it's implied that he's a half race character considering the only royal allagan people we've seen so far are hyur. I've ALSO seen people who are invincible zombies. And to be honest I think they pull it off pretty well.

:dazed:

All I'm saying is, fantasia is a thing. It exists. Just like time travelling does and also clones. And people also fling fire and summon mini egis of huge primals ...primals that exist merely by the power of belief (moggle). So I just don't get why people are saying they RP that a fantasia doesn't exist?

The Warrior of Light is said to be tossed a few years into the future which is how they survived Bahamut (something like that). Hence the five year timeskip.

There's also the clone mobs in ST and then the Q&A's answering why the Allgans are so big which was genetic engineering so as to be larger and closer to the heavens.

Though what most people find as a set back to the Fantasia bit is that it's supposed to be exceedingly rare. I myself went to play it that way but sooo many people were doing it and doing it ICly either by means of the Fantasia itself or by some other alteration that I finally threw my hands up and went "Ok, Ok! If it makes sense I'll roll with it". xD

well as noted, it is something you get out of game with real money so I don't really feel any actual interest in having it pertain to any ic play, but I honestly don't care xD

It's just one of many deus ex's that put me to sleep. I agree that I would be far more into it personally if someone wanted to play with their changes in some alternative and far more creative means. With the amount of illusion magic and potions/tonics/foods w/e in the game, is the fantasia potions existence really necessary? It's honestly sort of repetitive. But I won't not rp with someone just because they like the idea of the fantasia potion actually existing. I unfortunately for them will probably not emphasize rp regarding it though, or will just as simply let my characters believe the potion is a myth or rumor and you just got unlucky and someone decided to play a bad trick on you lol

With the announcement that a name change feature is coming "very soon", I see Fantasia potions (along with a potential name change for clarity) as a means to roll a "new" character without giving up all the in-game progression you've done. 

I've changed Katja to a Wildwood Elezen and if (when, just don't know many people) I get her back RPing, she won't be Katja; she'll be an entirely new character.

My problem with fantasia potions is that if they were any sort of common in the game world then changing your.. well, everything would be something we saw happen all the time. So far it's completely absent from the lore aside from the fact that you can acquire it, use it, and it has flavor text. There is nothing in the world culture that reflects its availability, and this is problematic for me.

Personally I prefer to ignore them totally, but we all know we are going to inevitably run into people who insist on using them in character (and worse, they will treat them as if they are common and that it's no big deal). In that case I just process it as Rakka'li would process someone telling him that they were Menphina, that is he'd think they were full of it.

I'm not against using them alongside a name change to change your character into a different one entirely so that you can roleplay something else by the way.

My problem with fantasia potions is that if they were any sort of common in the game world then changing your.. well, everything would be something we saw happen all the time. So far it's completely absent from the lore aside from the fact that you can acquire it, use it, and it has flavor text. There is nothing in the world culture that reflects its availability, and this is problematic for me.

Personally I prefer to ignore them totally, but we all know we are going to inevitably run into people who insist on using them in character (and worse, they will treat them as if they are common and that it's no big deal). In that case I just process it as Rakka'li would process someone telling him that they were Menphina, that is he'd think they were full of it.

I'm not against using them alongside a name change to change your character into a different one entirely so that you can roleplay something else by the way.

Mmmmhmm! I really try to be non-confrontational about it, but I will generally just ignore RP that involves Fantasia potions in any way.  As I mentioned in my first post in this thread I just find it utterly immersion breaking, and that it detracts from both my interest in and enjoyment of RP.  While that's not intended as an indictment of people who use it in their RP (everyone is entitled to their own idea of enjoyable RP!) that is just how it is for me.

I also make exceptions for people who want a permanent change to their character, though I prefer a better explanation of that than "I drank a potion."

In terms of whether Fantasia Potions really exist in-character, I simply do not accept them as canon. They're a necessary device for the provision of a clearly OOC service, and I do not feel obligated to recognize their existence IC solely because they have flavor text.  I understand that some people object to that, but unfortunately we'll just have to agree to disagree :-]

Mmmmhmm! I really try to be non-confrontational about it, but I will generally just ignore RP that involves Fantasia potions in any way.  As I mentioned in my first post in this thread I just find it utterly immersion breaking, and that it detracts from both my interest in and enjoyment of RP.  While that's not intended as an indictment of people who use it in their RP (everyone is entitled to their own idea of enjoyable RP!) that is just how it is for me.

I also make exceptions for people who want a permanent change to their character, though I prefer a better explanation of that than "I drank a potion."

In terms of whether Fantasia Potions really exist in-character, I simply do not accept them as canon. They're a necessary device for the provision of a clearly OOC service, and I do not feel obligated to recognize their existence IC solely because they have flavor text.  I understand that some people object to that, but unfortunately we'll just have to agree to disagree :-]

Yeah, these two things, I can get behind.

Personally, I like the idea of Fantasia existing ICly with how much magic there is in the world.  That being said, to keep it novel the materials to make it would be epic questline worthy of getting. Likewise some sort of magical experiment can go wrong and change you, (You'd still use a fantasia OoCly of course).  (Example for this would be Ultros).  but it should be treated with the reverence it deserves.  As for using it as a regrowth potion, if it can change your physical composition to anything you want, then sure, why not?  But personally, here would be the kicker for me.  Its as you remember yourself, not necessarily how you were.  And it changes everything.  So if you are incredibly muscular, but don't think so about yourself, then when you drink the potion it would cause all of your muscle to change, not just regrow the arm.

Also for how much reverence the potion deserves.  I personally doubt even the Alchemist Guildmaster can make one easily, even given the materials.