Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!)

This raises another issue for me that I've never really been clear on and that is the existence of regional languages. Aya does not swear, but I like to imagine when she does that it is in Ishgardian and sounds rather lyrical to the ear.

I'd just imagine French swear words for Ishgardian.

I try to avoid swearing unless the scene/emotion really demands it. While I do sometimes swear in real life, I don't think it's the nicest thing to hear so I don't particularly like to read much of it either. If I were trying to portray a character that is not very cultured or however you may call it, then I think I'd still manage to do so with softer, lore-friendly phrases rather than repeatedly throwing vulgarity in one's face to remind them of the fact.

Having said that, there was a character I made but never played that was certainly going to be the very rude kind but I was partly thrown off with the idea of having such a horrible character interfering with my friend's kind and innocent one. I know that's a bit of a bad reason but I was OOCly protective of said character because I am a fan, hahaha ;;;

Regardless and from an objective point of view, I struggle to see K'nahli swearing. It's difficult for me to imagine such crude phrases making their way into an isolated, tribal structure and becoming commonplace.

As for Andre... well he is a noble whom is incredibly polite and well-tempered. He'd have to be under a lot of stress to find himself uttering a real swear.

Doendraga has some colorful vernacular when it comes to expressing himself or describing things; while others may curse like a sailor, Doendraga is a sailor. He has a potty mouth, and he artistically paints some vivid imagery with his profanities (which is common) thanks to an articulate mind. He also tends to blaspheme flagrantly without any real regard to how offensive his expletives may be: some favorites include "Thaliak's man-tits!" (when complaining about stupidity) and "Crossed-eyed whores!" (when things just aren't going his way)

That said, I tend to refrain from RL curse words mostly because I feel the majority of them don't fit into the setting, like the F-bomb, not because I personally don't like to use them (the reverse is actually true). Most RL curse words that don't have an older equivalent to use seem too anachronistic for me, despite the fantasy setting that incorporates technology and more advanced standards of living as opposed to say, real middle ages.

I've used some real-life vulgarity as Jana, largely inspired by Sergeant Swygrael in the relevant Moogle Mail quest; unfortunately I cannot remember the exact vulgarities she used... Only that I was surprised she used it. But I took it as evidence that our everyday swear words probably exist in Eorzea. Even it's it the sort of thing that only a pirate would use, Jana spent a lot of time studying in La Noscea, nervously rubbing elbows with them.

While I would like to get into the habit of using "colorful" Eorzean swears, Jana curses (aloud) so rarely that a single F-bomb often feels more impactful.