Yet Another Greeting of Verbose Proportions

Dasair

Hello to all.  :>

I'm rather new to these forums (and this game) but not to RP, and I'm excited to meet those I might have the chance to play with in the future.  First and foremost, I often type a lot and kinda ramble on forever, so for that, I either apologize or hope you like reading.  

For a bit about myself, I am double majoring in Illustration/Animation and Philosophy, though nearly done~  (The latter of those two interests likely contributes to the 'excessively verbose' thing, alas.)  I enjoy debates about weird stuff like metaphysical quandaries, but also character psychology, and.. just about anything with characters, really, as I aim to be either a character designer or freelance illustrator by trade.

In so far as the 'list of potential interests' goes previously stickied on this forum, I've played a number of MMORPGs, but the few I stuck with (when I played them) were various iterations of Ragnarok Online (awkward laughter), WoW, Neverwinter Nights (if you can even count that one, that was entirely roleplay), and Guild Wars 2.  And now FFXIV~

I've been RPing for a long while, but the mediums I started in were a bit different than most.  When I was younger, the RP I did was a lot more LARP-like in origin, with friends getting together to occasionally dress up, and act out different characters for a story that went on for longer than a year.  Then I briefly dabbled in forum rp, but not very much, before picking RP up again in the form of something like 'online collaborative comics' on a site called Tegaki-E.  Basically, you draw everything, so that was much more of an 'art based' RP.  Finally, after a bit more forum dabbling, some friends from Tegaki got me into Neverwinter Nights, which was my first time seriously roleplaying in a MMO.  On those servers, everything was in-character, from your character's level, to the gear they had, where they wandered, and so on.  But the world itself was DM-player created, so it changed with the characters' actions, and you could get gear created for your character, (literally one of a kind) specifically through story and events.  It was really great, but for reasons outside of its potential, I stepped back from it after a few years, and went to GW2 instead.  I'll still occasionally RP there, but FFXIV seems much more rp friendly, and I am really enjoying the game as well.  There is so much neat lore, and options and potential for great RP here, it's really exciting!  Though I'm still bumbling a bit through game mechanics, and as I have spotty internet, sometimes I end up being a bit slow on the uptake of replies.  (I missed my first chance to RP with someone in the game because I couldn't get the channel switch thing to work fast enough, it was so sad.  But a friend showed me the hotkeys for channel switching soon after and it's wonderful.  Next time I'll be ready.  >8| )

Currently, I'm still sorting out just how I'd like to play my character, but as a quick, tentative summary for who I'm going to play on Balmung: 

Xavarian Mystrife is a young duskwight claiming to be an adventurer-scholar and mage, often getting himself into business and dealings surrounding lost knowledge, old ruins, mysterious artifacts, and aetherical disturbances.  Magic in general seems to greatly excite and bring the 'best' out of him (if you can count spouting out continuous theories, experiments, and attempting rash 'Let's see what will happen!' tests 'the best'...), but on other subjects, his awkward 'people skills' leave something to be desired, as others tend to generally make him nervous.  His love for puzzles and cryptic words when verbally cornered don't do him much favors either, but regardless, he is a very curious man, always eager to learn, and even more eager, it seems, to stick his (rather large) nose into secrets some might claim are 'better off forgotten'. . .

Leaving his background, family, and why he's up running around out of it (since he's likely not about to tell you that yet~), that's a little idea about who I'm thinking of playing.  

I hope to meet some of you soon, and by all means, if my character sounds like he might be interesting for yours to run into, please let me know!

Welcome to the RPC. :)

Magic in general seems to greatly excite and bring the 'best' out of him (if you can count spouting out continuous theories, experiments, and attempting rash 'Let's see what will happen!' tests 'the best'...)

Oh my. I can see him and L'yhta caught in a "can-you-top-this" series of "field experiments"... :)

Give me a poke if you like in game and we'll see if we can arrange a meeting.

Welcome to the RPC. :)

Magic in general seems to greatly excite and bring the 'best' out of him (if you can count spouting out continuous theories, experiments, and attempting rash 'Let's see what will happen!' tests 'the best'...)

Oh my. I can see him and L'yhta caught in a "can-you-top-this" series of "field experiments"... :)

Give me a poke if you like in game and we'll see if we can arrange a meeting.

Thanks for the welcome!

And oh gods, that sounds like it would be amazing and hilarious.  I can only imagine that Xavarian may be a bit less skilled than L'yhta appears to be (who seems quite the interesting character, by her profile), but I don't doubt that such mayhem 'inquiries into the study of Aether' by those two would result in some fun.  :>

I'll certainly do that, if I see you around~

I'm curious, what PW's did you play on Neverwinter Nights? I spent a ton of time there myself. Probably the best online RP experience I've ever had, overall. I miss it a ton. I played on Daggerdale, Tales of the Silver Marches, Deepingdale, and Myth Drannor for most of my RP, with shorter stints on Krynn Haven and Cormyr & The Dalelands.

At any rate, welcome to the RPC! Glad to have you!

I'm curious, what PW's did you play on Neverwinter Nights? I spent a ton of time there myself. Probably the best online RP experience I've ever had, overall. I miss it a ton. I played on Daggerdale, Tales of the Silver Marches, Deepingdale, and Myth Drannor for most of my RP, with shorter stints on Krynn Haven and Cormyr & The Dalelands.

At any rate, welcome to the RPC! Glad to have you!

Thank you for the welcome!

And ahh, neat!  I was wondering if anyone else had played there.  Unfortunately, I've not played on any of the PWs you mentioned.  For a long while, I played on a group of servers known as CoPaP  (Confederation of Planes and Planets) that included the worlds of Arkaz (Nuvar, Iron, ..some elven server I forgot), Avlis (Wilderness, Elysia, Visimontium, Underdark, Mikona, Delgos, Ferrell, Le'Or), Hala (Hala, Ysgard), and Taris'nadur (which I never played in, but it was there.)  Other than Taris, I played on all the servers mentioned for either a little or a while, but mostly because characters could travel between worlds.  Each plane had its own lore, and sometimes, even changes in spells and capabilities of the character walking between them, but they also shared a number of common principles which allowed them to be linked together.

In addition, I also played on Sigil, which was a server unrelated to the CoPaP worlds, for a short time.

Despite the graphics of NWN, it was really awesome to have a medium like that entirely devoted to roleplay, that will literally grow and change with character actions for everyone.  And also regardless of why I left, the fun times had RPing there were wonderful.  I only wish more games mediums could allow for such a thing, because it has so much amazing potential.

I loved NWN! 

Granted I only played on one PW for years called RoME, but it really was a great community just like you said for the creativity and travel and making worlds.

I think that's a big thing missing in the MMORPG because the GM can't make a special area or a special spawn for an event like in those other settings. The seasonal events look fantastic, but there was that charm of having people swap over and be the DM for the night with a little more as far as tools are concerned.

Events are still fun here, just a tad different. ^_^

Oh man. I remember when I used to RP in Ragnarok Online and that was my very first MMORPG that I ever got into  too. Then WoW, then PSO/PSU then Tera etc.

Welcome aboard!

Feel free to message Mizuho Mitarashi or Anelia Sadowyn if you are interested in talking. Also maybe ICly can get some ideas too!

Thanks for all the welcomes (and RP invitations!)  I'll definitely need to poke the lot of you sometime for RP.  :>

And to Jancis, I know what you mean.  Being able to have events turn any which way and have real resulting consequences in the world beyond affecting other character's stories directly was really awesome.  (things such as being able to heal a corrupted land area that would actually recover and stay recovered for all subsequent characters, unearthing ruins into a new explorable area for everyone, have npcs and antagonists spawn exclusively for the event, and react to characters asking them questions, etc.)  But alas, I don't doubt fun can still be had without those DM abilities, that was always just some (amazing) extra flare, and I'm eager to see what people come up with here.