Tumblr Information

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[align=center]How-To || The Basics

Important,

[align=left]> Join Tumblr

*It is important to note that when you create your account, this will be the "master" account. You can have multiple blogs but when you follow people, it will always show up as your master account. Some people choose to have an OOC blog as their master account others their IC blog. It comes down to preference.

If you choose to have your master blog as an OOC blog you can follow the steps I will list below to make your OOC blog nice like your IC blog. [/align]

For the purpose of this walk through, I'm going to act as though your master blog is OOC.

The Starting Point

[align=left]Once you have created your blog you will see several things. I want you to ignore everything and look for the little person in the top right hand corner. When you click it,  you should see things like, "Likes," "Following," "Settings," and, "Help." Then you'll see, "BLOGS," in little font. Beside it there will be, "+New." Click that!

> Name your IC blog

> Finish[/align]

Ask Boxes & NSFW

[align=left]You should now be on your IC blog's dash. Here, you'll see all your posts. You can double check this by looking back at the right hand side. You should see your IC blog's name (example: Bob-and-bumble-bees). 

Click the little person again.

> Click the cog, "Settings."

> Click your in character blog.

> Scroll down

> Click, "Let people ask questions," it should turn blue. 

> Click, "Allow anonymous questions," it should turn blue. 

> Click, "Flag this blog as adult-orientated," it should turn blue. 

*If you feel like any content will be NSFW - This is not just sexual.

All these preferences will auto-save. Now I want you to scroll up.

> Click Edit Theme

> Click "Edit HTML"

> Erase everything.[/align]

Themes

[align=left]At this point you will want to find a theme you like. Tumblr supplies you with a handful of free themes but I don't usually suggest them. There's tons of theme creators who offer their themes free of use. They're absolutely gorgeous and I will link a few personal favorites.

http://itsacrimetheme.tumblr.com/tagged/themes[/align]

[align=left]http://roleplay-theme-recs.tumblr.com/

http://enchantinglythemes.tumblr.com/allthemes

http://scs-themes.tumblr.com/

http://themesbyyohana.tumblr.com/tagged/theme

You can also search through themes on tumblr:

https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/tumblr-theme

https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/tumblr-themes

Make sure you try to preview the theme. Things could be outdated or the coding may not look %100 percent how you want it to, or match what you wish to accomplish. All these people link where you can get the code from. Click that link and copy everything. If they're using something like pastebin, you don't need to copy the "Raw Data" if you've copied the box above it. 

Once you have found a code you like. . .

> Update

> Save 

> Click the <- to the left. 

Anything that your theme allows you to adjust (like post colors) you can now see under "Theme Options." You can adjust this to your preference. In your description you'll want to add some form of blurb. Usually people will include something along the lines of "In character," "," "," "." 

(You can see mine for inspiration: http://kintsukuroi-memoir.tumblr.com/)

Once everything is to your fancy, click Save again. You've now set up your home page! Your home page will show all posts made by you (unless you post them as private which I will get to later). [/align]

Additional Theme-Stuff

[align=left]If you close out your customization you'll be brought back to your "Cog" / Preferences page.

> Click "Edit Appearance"

> Change your, "Avatar," to any image you like!

> Save

[/align]

Doing The Stuff!

[align=left]Now click the person. Go back to your IC blog. You'll see that you haven't posted anything so I shall now give you the run down on that!

You will see a few things: Text, Photo, Quote, Link, Chat, Audio, Video. They're all pretty self explanatory and depending on your theme will look a little different on your actual website. 

*I call these widgets:

Text: Allows you to post large pieces of text. This is usually what people use for stories.

Photo: Allows you to upload up to ten photos or link photos. This is what people will use for screenshot dumps, image-themed stories, inspirational images, etc.

Quote: Allows bigger font for impact. Most themes make something special out of this. This is usually used for character quotes, inspirational quotes, character thoughts, etc. 

Link: Allows you to link something off site (or on site!). Usually if you try to reblog something that's lengthy it'll try to turn it into a link. I don't suggest allowing it to do this. I will explain how to change this when I explain the reblog system.

Chat: Created a unique appearance for a conversation between multiple parties. This is usually used for writing prompts, captures of character conversation, etc

Audio: Functions similar to the photo system but is limited to one song. People will occasionally use this for character songs.

Video: More commonly used for character / inspirational songs.

All these can be beneficial to your character blog. At any time you wish for these to be private before you click, "Post," click the drop down arrow and select, "Private." 

Now, if you click a "blank line," in your post you'll notice a (+) come up. If you click it, you can add things in that space like an image, read more line, or rule (a horizontal line).

The general rule of thumb is that if you have to scroll down more than three times it should be beneath a "Read More" break. Alternatively, anything you find nsfw you can also put beyond the break. 

If you highlight text you'll be given an action bubble that'll allow you to turn it into a link, header, etc.

You can tag a person you're following by @[/align]

Reblogging Links

[align=left]Remember how earlier I mentioned that whole length-to-link issue? Here's how you fix it:

> Click the reblog button (anything you like that you see when you follow someone or search something, you can reblog. At the bottom of the post there's two arrows chasing one another (right corner). Similar to a recylcing symbol. 

> At the top, make sure you've selected the blog you want it to go to (top left hand corner). Then look to the top right hand corner

> You'll see the link / infinity symbol, click it.

> Click Text

> DO THIS BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES. THEY WILL NOT BE SAVED.[/align]

Tags

[align=left]On the bottom of the window you'll see a little tag with a bar beside it. Here you'll want to tag your post specific things. It is usually common courtesy to tag things NSFW / TW (Trigger Warning) for the appropriate content. You can also tag things with your respective server. However, it's also helpful for when you create a menu page (I'll get into that when I explain pages). Tags will create a special page for that tag on your blog that is invisible unless linked. Example:

Bob-and-bumble-bees.tumblr.com/tagged/short stories

The above link will take you to anything tagged "short story."

Only your first five tags on a post will be tracked. Make sure that anything you want people to be able to see on tumblr's main tag dump (tumblr.com/tagged/balmung for example) are within the first five tags.[/align]

Menu

[align=left]Previously I mention a menu page. In order to create this you'll have to go back to customizing you page. This can be done one of three two ways:

> Go to your blog dash

> Click "Edit appearance"  (Right hand beneath Members)[/align]

[align=left]You can also go to the little man in the top right, settings, go to your blog, and click "Edit Theme." 

OR

> Go to your blog (Bob-and-bumble-bees.tumblr.com)

> Click "Edit Theme," (should be top right).[/align]

THEN,

[align=left]

> Scroll down beyond theme options

> Click Add page

Here you can do one of two things:

For a basic menu:

> Standard Layout

> Click, "Show a link to this page."

> Name the url (something short is better like, 'menu,' 'navi,' etc).

> Give the page a title, "Tags Menu," "Navigation, "Menu," all work.

> Click 

> Copy the following:

yourblognamehere.tumblr.com/tagged/tag name>

>Repeat as necessary for the things you may wish to appear on the tumblr.

For a decorated page:

Sometimes theme creators will create pages, too. You'll need to follow their guides on how to achieve the end-game. However, you will have to initially follow some of the steps above.

> Add page 

> Custom Layout

> Paste the Code

> Follow the page's creator's instructions. 

For some inspiration on what you can tag things you can visit my navigation: 

Gisei no Hoshichou {nsfw}[/align]

Once it is all said and done, you can post your blog here so people can follow you![/align]

[align=center]

Master Post[/align]

[align=center]~*~

[/align]

[align=center]If you have a blog you would like to see added or removed please just let me know. [/align]

[align=center]The links below are subjected to NSFW material. [/align]

[align=center]Blogs are listed by alphabetical order of the character's first name.[/align]

[align=center]Please make sure to specify what category your blog belongs in.[/align]

[align=center] Otherwise you will not be added.[/align]

[align=center]

In Character / Inspiration

~*~

Auri:

Aoi Obinata[/align]

[align=center]Atreus del Alumet[/align]

[align=center]Arvid Greave

Hoshichou Monsaran[/align]

[align=center]Jaliqai Qulaan[/align]

[align=center]Khenbish Monsaran[/align]

[align=center]Madoc Parnell

Nalli Blythe[/align]

[align=center]Tseren[/align]

[align=center]Sechen Dotharl[/align]

[align=center]Elezen:[/align]

[align=center]Armand Tremaux

Lamia Vuinuet[/align]

[align=center]Marcellain Chevallier[/align]

[align=center]Martiallais Heuliox[/align]

[align=center]Orrian Servais[/align]

[align=center]Hyur:[/align]

[align=center]Brynhilde Wulf[/align]

[align=center]Dorian Eckhart[/align]

[align=center]Graeham Ridgefield[/align]

[align=center]Lance Barrington[/align]

[align=center]Lily Gildrose[/align]

[align=center]Odette Saoirse

Reima[/align]

[align=center]Riven Astralyas[/align]

[align=center]Rosalinde Thorne[/align]

[align=center]Ruran Vas[/align]

[align=center]Sasha Rochester[/align]

[align=center]West O'hteco[/align]

[align=center]Lalafel:

Trishelle Kimishima[/align]

[align=center]Miqo'te:

Alothia Starkwood

Arah Jinjhal[/align]

[align=center]Ari'ya Mhoki

Eva'li Molkot[/align]

[align=center]Bexy Amalaryssia

Chika Ito

C'kyza Nunh[/align]

[align=center]L'yhta Mahre[/align]

[align=center]Melodia D'janz

Meyla Sarka[/align]

[align=center]Mia Moui

Nako Vesh[/align]

[align=center]Rhesh'ir Zhwan

Sacha Desyre

Simi Jinkjahl[/align]

[align=center]U'khoa Ohhbi

Vixanya Minuette

Xao Ganajai[/align]

[align=center]X'sylvia Tohka

Y'shenn Tia

TBA[/align]

[align=center]Roegadyn:[/align]

[align=center]Flickering Ember[/align]

[align=center]Multiple:

Elaris Strywin[/align]

[align=center]Kassandra Dawn[/align]

[align=center]Myriad Men[/align]

[align=center]Prismakry[/align]

[align=center]Yoyolo Yolo[/align]

[align=center]Other:

Jace Hunter's Codex

Out of Character / FFXIV

~*~

For people who would like their OOC and/or FFXIV blogs listed please let me know the name you would like them listed under and give me the link. 

Aekira

Aden Dellebecque

Aldotsk [/align]

[align=center]Caelia Silverarch[/align]

[align=center]Ceillet Marchand

Clover Blake[/align]

[align=center]Because Miqo'te

Doman Lore & Inspiration Blog

Foxberry Studios[/align]

[align=center]Hanatsuma Maibito[/align]

[align=center]Hixxi[/align]

[align=center]Hixxi (Art)[/align]

[align=center]Hutarin

Ilwe'ran[/align]

[align=center]Ixarien[/align]

[align=center]Industry13

Jace Hunter

Jade[/align]

[align=center]J'kilid Tia[/align]

[align=center]J'inarah Marad[/align]

[align=center]Kellach Woods[/align]

[align=center]Korlynn[/align]

[align=center]Leggerless[/align]

[align=center]Lililove[/align]

[align=center]Locke[/align]

[align=center]Mana Nagae

Moonlit[/align]

[align=center]Moonlit-FFXIV

Moonlit's Screenshot Depository[/align]

[align=center]Nalette[/align]

[align=center]Nefzen[/align]

[align=center]Nodem[/align]

[align=center]Oyuu[/align]

[align=center]Prismakry

Purpshuk[/align]

[align=center]Shofie[/align]

[align=center]Sunwins[/align]

[align=center]Tetenuko[/align]

[align=center]Theronault

Yahweh

Yvelont Navarre

Zaheela

[/align]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I updated the information post with the mention of this thread. It is a place to post your blogs once you've made them! However, if it interests people, I can use my "reserved" spot on this page to make a "master list," of In Character blogs.

Do eet. 8-) It'll be a nice space for folks to check when looking for new IC blogs (or maybe make a separate space for IC ones and OOC ones) to follow while they're tumblr'in.

I updated the information post with the mention of this thread. It is a place to post your blogs once you've made them! However, if it interests people, I can use my "reserved" spot on this page to make a "master list," of In Character blogs.

Do eet. 8-) It'll be a nice space for folks to check when looking for new IC blogs (or maybe make a separate space for IC ones and OOC ones) to follow while they're tumblr'in.

Kaaaay~!

-does that instead of what she's supposed to be doing-

Edit:

I made the thing with the stuff. If you're missing or don't want to be there, please just let me know.

Kaaaay~!

Edit:

I made the thing with the stuff. If you're missing or don't want to be there, please just let me know.

Look at me, giving you more work to do. S'almost like old times, eh? ;)

Kaaaay~!

Edit:

I will never escape. Lmfao.

Kaaaay~!

Edit:

I will never escape. Lmfao.

You missed it. 8-)

All right so I've updated the master post. I've left some people because. . . I'm not sure if their blogs are IC or OOC. However, if you want your blog there just let me know! Reminder that the links may contain NSFW material and that includes things that may be triggering to some viewers. 

• 3 weeks later...