Residents or Ties to Little Ala Mhigo?

I received a PM last night from another character (going to send a reply soon Flora but wanted to make this thread first!!) with close ties to Little Ala Mhigo and it got me to thinking that it's not a very huge settlement so other characters that call it home, or who come from there, or have close ties to it may know each other.  I think it would be a bit larger than what we see there in game, with more residents not pictured and stuff.  So it may be possible for characters to live there and still not know each other very well.

I had to do a little homework on the fall of Ala Mhigo and how Dimona came to reside there.  If there is anything here that would work well with other characters please let me know.  I'm still new and figuring things out a little bit.  Nothing is carved in stone.  Yet.  lol

If the current year is 1578 or so and Dimona is 21 years old, she would have been born in 1557 which is the same year that Ala Mhigo fell to the Garlean Empire.  Since she is an orphan I've figured that her father either died or was brainwashed by Garleans and her pregnant mother fled with other family, ultimately ending up in Little Ala Mhigo.  I think the mother will have died in childbirth since that seems to make sense after all the exertion of fleeing their home and losing her husband.  Her grandmother is alive though, and I think some of her aunts and uncles survived too.  She has mentioned her cousins teasing her in some roleplay that has already happened, so she does have living family and may have been raised in Little Ala Mhigo by this family or friends of the family.  I'm not really looking for it to be too tragic but more "this is why she is the way that she is" to explain her sense of independence and stuff.  I don't think she has any vendetta or anything.  She was too young.  So Bruce Wayne she is not!

Dimona still lives in Little Ala Mhigo now but travels back and forth between Ul'dah a lot.  She is trying to find her place in life.  She has tried a few things already and some don't sit well with her, and others do.  She is kind of a "jane of all trades" but I am focusing very heavily on the ROG/NIN job.  This said I think she will be more of a blade wielder than any sort of actual ninja.  I'm sure everyone is doing that now anyway and I want to kind of go the "rogue" instead of "ninja" route anyway.

So what I guess I'm looking for is if there are any other characters who are linked to Little Ala Mhigo, or who would like to tie together some back history.  Maybe a cousin even or uncle/aunt (if much older).  The only other NPC character I have given much detail for is Dimona's grandmother who is bedridden and unresponsive.  The reasons for this are so far unexplained but I think she may just be shell shocked from all that happened with the Garlean occupation of Gyr Abania.  Or maybe she's just senile.  I haven't really figured it all out just yet and there's still a lot of wiggle room for me to change things if anyone wants to be involved with it.

Thanks!! :chocobo::chocobo::chocobo::chocobo::chocobo:

Erik would have many ties with many refugees as he himself was one. OOC I don't know many but would like to. Anything I can do to help? Maybe you should start an Ala Mhigan Refugee LS if there isn't one already. Keep in mind that LAM is only the main settlement, that there are refugees all over Thanalan, so the pool of people would be very large. You may be the start of something very wonderful.

Hi, everyone reading this! :cactuar: Sabotenders for you!

Dimona, thanks so much for posting this thread. I thought of posting one like this once, and got too shy, ahahah!

I would be happy to have Flora take up the role of Dimona's cousin! I imagine they might share this grandma, as Flora's always preoccupied with the idea of not-truly-leaving-the-settlement-because-I-CAN'T-JUST-LEAVE-THEM-aaaaggghh. 

Flora's parents are named Klaus and Anneliese Valerian, and they're herbalists of a sort, as their last name implies-- I always thought the traditional homeopathic remedy schtick/distrust of Ul'Dahn medicine was a really neat little facet abut what we see of the refugees. "No thank you, outsider, I have PRIDE and I'm going to solve this problem with crushed flowers and cactus fruits that I found outside because that'll probably work, maybe!"

Anneliese wears much of the pants, especially because Klaus lost his leg to a pieste bite that quickly got miserably gangrenous and gross and had to be amputated (#littlealamhigoproblems).  Thus, Klaus is essentially unavailable for most wife-mandated material gathering jaunts, anymore, and Flora gets dragged into that duty on a pretty regular basis.

If the current year is 1578 and Flora is 17, then that means she was born in 1561, four years after the fall. Which is great for what I had in mind for Flora-- Flora doesn't get why other refugees are so bent on getting Ala Mhigo back, because she's never known anything else but the settlement. She partakes in fandangling supplies for la resistance really only because she'd feel guilty if she didn't. A part of her really wants to just live her life in peace in Ul'Dah, and never have to punch anything in the face again, but MAN she'd feel bad about leaving her people hanging in their hour of need. Her attitude probably goes over REALLY poorly with the refugees who feel tighter bonds to the old country.

Flora also has a small big brother (SURPRISE! adopted miqo'te sibling who has been treated like a great big gross outsider in the settlement all his life!), who I'm trying to coax into posting in this thread. Come on out, Evan, you cannot resist your hometown's siren call foreverrrr. :cactuar:

I agree with the linkshell idea! I think we're really onto something good here. As a wise man once said, LET'S RUN THIS INTO THE GROUND AND SEE IF IT FLIES!

I told Mona this, but I'm usually on around 10pm EST if anyone wants to shoot me a /tell.

Sounsyy is former Ala Mhigan Resistance, but she lived in Little Ala Mhigo between 1558-1562 (15+) years ago, so your character would probably be way too young to remember her. But she has a deep love of her people and her fallen nation and is quite passionate about retaking Ala Mhigo from Garlean occupation.

I've been playing more of her Maelstrom side recently, but am always down for Ala Mhigan interactions if your character wants to reach out for any reason. ^^

Flora kind of dragged me into replying, but she kind of already hit the main points of everything. I'm cool with an LS for people from LAM and totally up for being a cousin to you. Evandrus has slowly trickled into being my alt, but I'm on him occasionally. If you have a plot or want to RP you can always ask me to get on. ;D

Other than that, yeah it sounds like a good idea.

(Not really sure what to say here LOL)

My character Nailah/Sastra (The latter name was given to her) is also a refugee from Ala Mhigo and was also orphaned, though she went to an orphanage in Ul'dah (I always presumed there must have been some, or some close by) through a rescue attempt carried out by un-named people that saved her and several other children during the fall. Upon getting kicked out of the orphanage (on the count of being too old) she went travelling, and in here I have it that she eventually came upon little ala mhigo and whilst she never lived there, she'd have been prone to come there and tell stories from the road and bring what she could to support them, if not the refuge as a whole then individuals she grew fond of. And now that she is more thanalan-bound and better off financially speaking, she'd be supporting it in an increased degree.So in that regard you may be able to know of her and her storytelling, or we can work something else out - goes for anyone really. 

I've always wanted to get in touch with more Highlanders.. Maybe a directory akin to that for elezen would be in order?

This is great!! I had not thought about the possibility of starting a linkshell for something like this. I'm not sure that Dimona would be the best for something like that since she is a bit impetuous and I'm not sure she would be interested in it, but something to "keep in touch with home" when she is spending time in Ul'dah or elsewhere could be fun and real. I am still trying to find a niche and looking at other guilds but I'll think about it. I'm not sure I will be around enough to suitably lead anything like that but wouldn't mind if someone else wanted to and would happily join! Or if nobody else is interested in it I guess I could as long as nobody is bothered by my busy RL work schedule and erratic login times.

I would love to have the two of you for cousins too! We should talk later on and figure out a little family tree stuff. I don't know that it makes sense that Dimona was also raised by "Uncle Klaus and Aunt Anneliese" but maybe it's a large family and there are a number of aunts and uncles. This way we don't have to know every little detail about each others' characters because that might be tricky and overwhelming, but there can still be a sort of closeness. And the grandmother character can be shared since she is sort of simple anyway and doesn't talk or anything. Different grandchildren and uncles/aunts can look in on her at different times and stuff. It conveys that whole family community coming together to help each other out sort of thing.

To Sounsyy it seems like our characters may be too young to really remember that, however if she goes back periodically it may be that she is recognized that way. Or maybe she would have known some of us from when we were babies. "I remember when you were THIS tall!"

Apart from adopted brother Evandrus, is everyone else a highlander hyur?

Tiergan and Lurial are both Ala Mhigans who assist refugees when they can.

I also know Brynhilde Wulf is an Ala Mhigan player who was part of the Resistance and actually an adult at the time Ala Mhigo fell.

To Sounsyy it seems like our characters may be too young to really remember that, however if she goes back periodically it may be that she is recognized that way. Or maybe she would have known some of us from when we were babies. "I remember when you were THIS tall!"

Apart from adopted brother Evandrus, is everyone else a highlander hyur?

Yeah, Sounsyy's an old maid, kinda. She hasn't really been back, but a recent plotline I've gotten her involved in will have her head to Little Ala Mhigo, so am totally down for introductions then or whenever. As I said, she has a deep love for her people.

And Sounsyy is Miqo'te! ^^

As Tiergan kindly said, Brynhilde is Ala Mhigan. She was roughly 18 when Ala Mhigo fell, and so witnessed (and was very much affected by) both the fall of the King of Ruin and Garlemald's coup.

She was heavily involved in the Resistance from its early days, and spent some time in Little Ala Mhigo. Hers was a name well-known among the refugees at the time, although it's likely that as she distanced herself from the Resistance in later cycles, she wouldn't be known to the younger 'Mhigan orphans.

Ragnar is an Ala Mhigan refugee, he was around 18 when the city-state fell (39 now) and involved himself in the resistance for a number of years. He left Little Ala Mhigo and the resistance about 14 years ago, but still goes back from time to time.

My character Khyros is half Ala Mhigan, his mother having been a refugee who fled there shortly before the fall. She never settled in Little Ala Mhigo, instead moving to Ul'dah and trying to start anew rather than joining the resistance. Because of this, despite taking more heavily after his midlander father, he considers the refugees of Little Ala Mhigo as kin, though obviously not the nuclear family sort.

Nylesa is a caretaker within the orphanages in Little Ala Mhigo, so she's seen a lot taking care of kids and occassionally bringing supplies in and out.

She is pure Ala Mhigan and keeps that information to herself. She remembers the important parts about the fall of Ala Mhigo, but she was also young at the same time. She's also midlander, not everyone from Ala Mhigo is Highlander, just the majority may be.

I'm also trying to look for more people connected to Ala Mhigo and Monks who are part of the Resistance to expand her brotherhood circle a little more. ^_^

Hit me up!