The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

And yeah, speedrun healing basically devolves into spamming ALL THE HEALS OH GOD STOP MELTING. It's why I started getting my three Aetherflow stacks at the start while doing initial buffs. I like having my panic button. :blush:

I try to do a reasonable job of using aetherflow stacks and using it on CD.

Except, I've also learned where some big pulls are in Snowcloak. Or when speshul tanks insist on pulling the whole last room before Fenrir and DON'T STUN THE STUPID HARRIERS AND JUST LET THEM ALL BE SCREAMING PIECES OF SHIT THAT HURT OHGODWHY WITHOUT SAYING THEY WILL

I forget is it Stun the Nightmare or Silence the Nightmare? I remember it being a difference. It's Stun?

Nightmare (the one that puts you to sleep) needs to be stunned, yes. Never tried silencing it. Everything else you can dodge (Gravity Orbs by not being anywhere near where they get placed, Ultimate Terror by moving into melee range or waaaaay the hell away from Diabolos).

He builds stun resistance after three or four stuns, IIRC.

Jah I wanted to make sure I remember trying Spirits Within a lot or Shield Bash and realizing stupidly later that it didn't work. So Stun Nightmare~

So yeah.. don't try silencing cause it don't work. Awesome when it's already built up a resistance before the second nightmare. Lookin at you melee.

As a healer, I see some horrifying things that most people wouldn't even notice. However, despite the potatoes and assholes I've come across in this game, it's been pretty tame compared the the endless nightmare that was PuGing in WoW. There were some people in WoW so terrible that I still remember them years later.

Alas, World of Warcraft. There I played god as the healer, and refused to tank pulls as a tank (just like Madda. High five!)

So I'm leveling my little human warlock named Perth with a fancy letter since Perth is otherwise a blocked name. Goodness knows why, I love the name and use it on almost every character I make in single-name games like World of Warcraft or Star Wars, for example. She had black hair, a rather angry face with hazel eyes, and striking purple, black, and silver robes that were a bit exposing in the naval area. I mention this so as to better illustrate what's to come.

So it all started with a PUG. This PUG in particular was partially a premade. There was assumedly a couple - same server, same guild, the healer had a female avatar and the tank had a male avatar. Now, this tank must have been new or very, very cautious, because we were doing Black Rock Depths and the fun began in the Lyceum. In the Lyceum you had to wade through oooodles of adds who were super weak just to find two with torches to light braziers and leave. Normally you run in and the tank AOEs, and then you AOE, and everyone gets the job done and leaves. Oh no. Not this time.

This time the healer emphasised that she wanted us to avoid AOEing... and sit back and watch as the tank struggled to DPS. He wasn't well geared so it would have taken quite some time. Unfortunately, by the time she had managed to instruct us to sit back and watch, the tank had already pulled and myself and the monk had already begun to AOE the mobs. We were fine... until the tank went to pull more, either not paying attention or not caring. The healer made a point to let us die as we got aggro because the tank didn't AOE or taunt.

The monk asks, "Why did you let us die?" The healer says, "i told u not to aoe and u didnt lissen". I say, "You told us not to after the tank pulls." The healer says, "not my fault". By that point, I'm already very frustrated and I add, "What kind of tank doesn't AOE on multi-target pulls?" Everyone is silenced.

We continue through the dungeon normally. Nothing special, but then we reach the the Imperial Seat, where the last boss is. There's three notches on each side of the hall leading to the last boss, each with a pocket of mobs. Some elites, some normal. You're... supposed to AOE. So the healer says, "dont fuck this one up". That just immediately set me off into a rage unlike any other. I must not have been having a good day or something, I can't really recall why I would have been so infuriated by that. So I set my Soulstone on myself. And I lie in wait.

He pulls the first pack. We carefully pick through them. This continues with the second pack. We're now at the third, and there's three other packs waiting, and it dawns on me what to do.

I sprint forward, pull the other three packs with my face, DOT the boss, and come running back with a huge, shit-eating grin on my face from behind the monitor. Unfortunately, at that moment the monk had been AOEing, which then resulted in the tank AOEing. Aggro was ripped from me pretty quickly, and the healer shouts, "U PIECE OF TRASH". I back up a little with jerky movement and watch them all die before the mobs turn on me and kill me too. But that wasn't all. That's not what made me "that guy". What made me "that guy" was resurrecting myself on the spot with my Soulstone, walking forward so I was standing on their pile of corpses, and /dancing.

Needless to say I got kicked out of the group at that instant but I couldn't stop laughing and it stuck in my head forever. I was never before "that guy".

Last night I had a group when I was leveling my White Mage which were very, very nice and friendly, even chatty, but the tank was a tweensy bit squishy and the summoner was... pretty clueless, but always open to suggestions, so that made up for it! (Except in the last boss fight.)

So we were doing Brayflox normal, and the entire dungeon I had been really gently and kindly (if I may say so myself) reminding folks in general to avoid breaking sleeps if they can, as well as attack what the tank is attacking. Last boss. Summoner keeps standing in the death beam, tank keeps dragging the boss through poison and healing him. We really don't have the DPS to finish him off with one dead and the tank dragging him through poison or even standing in it himself. It -always- ended with myself and the fantastic dragoon being the last alive, struggling to make it count before wiping entirely. After the second wipe, the Summoner starts realising she shouldn't stand in the death beam ... and instead lets her pet die repeatedly in poison. This wouldn't be much of an issue if she hadn't spent the entire fight summoning her pet which kept dying only to be summoned again into poison to die again. My struggle was pretty real. She may as well have been dead because she wasn't helping us any. :(

I gently asked her to not summon the pet if it died and continue DPSing. Well, she stood in poison for a good minute and a half, and eventually I decided I -needed- to focus the tank and she died. Always ended with the dragoon and myself. When we resurrected and ran back, we noticed the summoner was AFK, and so... vote dismissed her as AFK. We then had a level 40-something black mage come in and -wreck- the boss. It was fantastic. That dragoon was such a champ, too, so I gave her a commendation at the end. She deserved it so badly.

Or when speshul tanks insist on pulling the whole last room before Fenrir and DON'T STUN THE STUPID HARRIERS AND JUST LET THEM ALL BE SCREAMING PIECES OF SHIT THAT HURT OHGODWHY WITHOUT SAYING THEY WILL

This is sooooo annoying. Not only do they hurt more but they take three times as long to kill after they transform. I shouldn't need to point out to veteran players that they need to stun these things!

Worst part is I play THE ONLY PHYSICAL DPS CLASS WITHOUT A STUN so I can't make up for their slack. How vexing!

So we were doing Brayflox normal, and the entire dungeon I had been really gently and kindly (if I may say so myself) reminding folks in general to avoid breaking sleeps if they can, as well as attack what the tank is attacking.

This reminds me. No offense to you, but I hate it when casters put mobs to sleep in XIV. Hate. With a passion that cannot be put into words.

The only reason to put something to sleep is to alleviate pressure on the healer. In most instances (read: dungeons), that should be absolutely unnecessary. If the healer needs less incoming damage on the tank, then either the tank is undergeared or unskilled, the healer is undergeared or unskilled, or both.

No, the "well, if the healer has to heal less then they can DPS more so you get through the pull sooner" argument holds no water in the case of Sleep, because with Sleep you cannot reapply DoTs without waking the mob, you cannot AoE the slept mobs, you have no choice but to focus-fire down the mobs that AREN'T asleep. Trust me when I say that outgoing damage from the weaponskills and DoTs of a tank and two DPS on the entire pull is going to outweight the damage the healer can put out on a single mob. Sleep doesn't speed runs along, IT SLOWS THEM DOWN. Which makes sense, because - again - the entire point is to alleviate pressure on the healer.

Are there edge cases? Yes. See the second boss (the drake) of Brayflox Normal. You sleep the boss until you've killed the add. I'm sure there are other edge cases, most of which I can't remember at the moment and many more I'm sure that I'm not even aware exist.

THAT SAID, MAGES. PLEASE. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY. QUIT SLEEPING THINGS.

EDIT: Not to mention that every cast of Sleep is a cast that could have gone towards DPS. Goddamnit.

So we were doing Brayflox normal, and the entire dungeon I had been really gently and kindly (if I may say so myself) reminding folks in general to avoid breaking sleeps if they can, as well as attack what the tank is attacking.

The only reason to put something to sleep is to alleviate pressure on the healer. In most instances (read: dungeons), that should be absolutely unnecessary. If the healer needs less incoming damage on the tank, then either the tank is undergeared or unskilled, the healer is undergeared or unskilled, or both.

Yeah, I definitely recognise that sleeping really hinders DPS, which is why I don't normally do it unless the tank is pretty squishy and the lowest level requirement for the dungeon, which he was xD He was melting when he had more than -two- mobs on him, so I was really throwing sleeps around. We actually wiped once on trash because he pulled two packs by accident and even though I slept half, he just melted in seconds under them. He had all whites, which really wasn't helping any. :/

Lately, it's been tanks who pull with Provoke. And then tanks who continue to pull with Provoke - who wait for it to come off cooldown before they pull again - despite being advised against it because yeah it doesn't work the way they probably think it does.

OH, THAT REMINDS ME. NINS WHO DROP THE AOE ON SINGLE TARGET ENEMIES.

As a NIN, my heart breaks anytime I see this.

I also got into a pug with a NIN that never kept up the attack speed buff on herself and every mudra cast had a noticeable 2 second delay. It was aaawfuuuul. The healer had higher threat than this person did the entire dungeon.

People who are afraid to admit they're new.

Guys. If you don't know the instance, fucking tell me, especially if you're the Healer. I'm the Tank, you can rely on me to keep Karlabos distracted, but if you don't know about Tail Screw, or the poison-upon-poison-upon-poison, we're going to have a bad time.

And if you think you can ninja your ignorant self through the instance, you will quickly find, no, you can't. It's fairly obvious.

I'm not going to vilify you for being new in your run of the mill Roulette instance. That's not something either of us can control. It's much better that you admit your inexperience so that I can TEACH YOU and you'll be able to speedrun this seemingly difficult and complicated shit in the future.

seemingly difficult and complicated shit

omfg this.

ATTN: FFXIV COMMUNITY

Some of you like to pretend this game, outside of several coil turns, is hard.

PSA: it's not.

With all due respect, Melkire, I was referring to newbies that entire post. And for them, it can be very hard.

You should know, because the fact remains:

WE WERE ALL NOOBS ONCE.

Check out my sig. WTF is up with that drop rate, yo?

also this thread turned into a shithole pretty fast.

I'm not going to vilify you for being new in your run of the mill Roulette instance. That's not something either of us can control. It's much better that you admit your inexperience so that I can TEACH YOU and you'll be able to speedrun this seemingly difficult and complicated shit in the future.

The other 95% of the game will just try and get rid of them or not explain shit. Welcome to MMOs. :/

seemingly difficult and complicated shit

omfg this.

ATTN: FFXIV COMMUNITY

Some of you like to pretend this game, outside of several coil turns, is hard.

PSA: it's not.

With all due respect, Melkire, I was referring to newbies that entire post. And for them, it can be very hard.

You should know, because the fact remains:

WE WERE ALL NOOBS ONCE.

With all due respect, Edgar, I'm not saying that we shouldn't be friendly with newbies, or that we shouldn't be patient, or that we shouldn't help them, or that we shouldn't be understanding.

I'm asking for a modicum of common sense before people open their traps to say stupid things.

Maybe I should have written, "relative to many video games requiring certain levels of hand-eye coordination, communication, cooperation, and so forth, this game is simple enough to grasp, the learning curve mild enough to follow, and the tasks easy enough to execute that no one with a mild to moderate level of experience and history with gaming should find any cause to call the vast majority of this game's group content 'difficult', given a certain degree of attention and competency."

There. Is that politically correct and specific enough to be clear?

Queuing up for Stone Vigil Story Mode, dying to the first boss after being given a thorough explanation, and then claiming "lol this game is hard" as a defense when you've had forty levels to learn what's expected of you and acclimate yourself is about as ridiculous as claiming that J.K. Rowling's books are a "difficult read".

I find myself reteaching people how to do quarter-circle-forwards at least once a year (think this year will be the first time I'll be paid for it, but that's another subject entirely). Shit's easy for me and a lot of other people. Not so for others.

WHAT IS EASY FOR YOU MAY BE HARD FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO LEARN (also this game requires that you understand the holy trinity because it does not explain that at all)

That is not a difficult concept.

Game decided to crash on boot again. (It wasn't the game, it was my own dumbass self's fault this time)

I find myself reteaching people how to do quarter-circle-forwards at least once a year

Fighting games? Just curious.

A-yup. We play over breaks and lunch at work, so any stragglers we have to teach from the ground up. (mostly USF4, except on Thursdays for Tekken Tag Thursdays)

That's pretty sick. Used to be pretty hard into the FGC scene pretty hard. Still have a lot of connections, even though I haven't been as diligent lately. Though, reckon I can message you about that. I shouldn't derail too too much. Pretty sweet though. Unless you play the inferior Mexican. Then maybe we should talk.

That's pretty sick. Used to be pretty hard into the FGC scene pretty hard. Still have a lot of connections, even though I haven't been as diligent lately. Though, reckon I can message you about that. I shouldn't derail too too much. Pretty sweet though. Unless you play the inferior Mexican. Then maybe we should talk.

I went through a character crisis in Ultra - First went to Poison, then T.Hawk, then Yun, then back to my main in 1.04 after trying him out aka the worst character in the game, DEE JAY.

Although I want to keep a pocket Hawk and Poison.

So, did Syrcus again - Someone failed at Imperium (they misplaced it so that they were the only one to take the hit so they died) so I'm like "Busy smashing this boss will explain later." They say 'k.

Then they get their loot and bail.

While I'm trying to type out an explanation that is succinct and explains every corner of that ability. Worst part is, this isn't the first time this happened when I was in a group (I do a lot of Syrcus... I mean a lot) and I'm like... WELP.

I was leveling my alt character, who isn't in a Free Company or Linkshell at the moment. DPS class. Waits over 30 minutes to get into the Bowl of Embers just to progress my story quest.

Seems like the others might be new too. Before the tank and other DPS even finish loading, healer says "Oh, I wanted a dungeon for my roulette. Good luck." And leaves.

15 minutes until we got another healer join in-progress. LOL. In the end it all worked out, but man...

Seriously, guys. Leave the Spiny alone. Marking it with the stop sign does not mean "kill this first".

Dps blowing their stuns for the extra damage on bosses that have moves I want to interrupt is my biggest pet peeve. Yes, even in Ifrit HM. I know most people overgear the content these days and eating an Eruption or two isn't so deadly anymore, but any time I try to Brutal Swing and nothing happens because someone else was triggering DR, I can feel the party's eyes on my back, going "lol what a shit offtank". It's not my fault. ; ;

When I'm a dps, tanks that don't interrupt things that are interruptible is my second biggest pet peeve. And I don't want to hear the "oh the healer is super geared, let him just heal through it." The WHM in my static has some special words for people who make him do extra work just cause other players are lazy.

Tanks fighting over the boss in CT/ST. I don't even want to MT those places anymore because I know adds will be running amok eating the healers/dps.

And can we talk about CT/ST runs with at least one bard in every party, but there is never a Foe Req up, ever?

Hmmm...*thinks of what to add*

I've had good experiences with the game over all, save for bad connection nights and the like. The only real peeve I've ever experienced in this game usually has to do with some of the miqo'te RP I see. It's mentioned by NPCs and in lore and other sources that miqo are not really meant to be monogamous creatures. Someone posted here on the site an NPC screenie that had them saying it was very strange for a miqo'te female to only lay with one male.

Soooo...

While I get some of it is OOC with people unable to do nonmonogamy, others its because they don't wish to RP that way, and the rest is mostly related to character back story and preference...

It seems like so many monogamous miqo'te find it abhorent and disgusting to see those who aren't and have to comment on it. And the numbers are significant enough to where sometimes I want to roll up a newspaper and bop them all on the head and go "IF YOU KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR OWN CULTURE YOU'D KNOW THIS WAS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE. STOP ACTING LIKE THEY'RE ALL SINNERS."

And on a less RP related note.

I love playing MNK, but always sucks when you pop Perfect Balance and then some crazy shit happens and you have to waste the cooldown :cry: