The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

Ah well that's not a problem. Some tanks just casually head over to the pull without doing anything to pull properly when they have the time to make coffee and do their laundry in the meantime.

• 3 months later...

Had this gem thrown at me just now after healing the second boss of Doma Castle (and nearly wiping due to lack of mechanics being done).

[20:12](Me) guys... please do the mechanics...

[20:13](Red Mage) bro, i'm trying, but if we aren't, then you aren't too

[20:13](Me) You ran out of the pylons...

[20:13](Me) The thing you're supposed to stand in

[20:13](Me) And never ran in for the stacked aoe

The red mage then proceeded to spam scatter on the last boss.

Good times. High level game play right there.

On 4/8/2018 at 5:19 AM, Charity322 said:

Swimwear is not appropriate for dungeons lol.

~snip~

Oh, I don't know... that could be fun... with a group of friends, saying "wouldn't it be funny to do a dungeon in swim suits?" just for the laughs.

But yeah, not something you want to spring on a PUG.

Dropping a Vent thing that I think anyone in Eureka has encountered at least once:

The salty player who apparently has an agenda against the people standing around for the NM to spawn, so they grab extra mobs and run them around hoping they AoE kill a bunch of the waiting people. I actually called one of these guys out around Mono for grabbing the plant monsters (I forget their actual names, everyone calls them Bulbasaur because they look like one) and running it into the crowd of lowbies waiting for the spawn to happen.

His reasoning? "This isn't a free ride!"

Considering that the "recommended" option of leveling up in Eureka is joining the NM hunt raids almost immediately after getting in and just getting a couple hits on the NM for the XP when the higher levels kill it? It... it kinda is. And has been for a while. And - being a level 20 like he was - I am sure he did some standing around on his own or being ferried somewhere or rezzed by someone because he was in an area you would otherwise not want to be. So it's also horrendously hypocritical unless he solo grinded his way all the way to 20.

5 hours ago, Tregarde said:

Oh, I don't know... that could be fun... with a group of friends, saying "wouldn't it be funny to do a dungeon in swim suits?" just for the laughs.

But yeah, not something you want to spring on a PUG.

Have done, can confirm, is really fun with a group of friends. :D

5 hours ago, Gegenji said:

Dropping a Vent thing that I think anyone in Eureka has encountered at least once:

The salty player who apparently has an agenda against the people standing around for the NM to spawn, so they grab extra mobs and run them around hoping they AoE kill a bunch of the waiting people. I actually called one of these guys out around Mono for grabbing the plant monsters (I forget their actual names, everyone calls them Bulbasaur because they look like one) and running it into the crowd of lowbies waiting for the spawn to happen.

His reasoning? "This isn't a free ride!"

Considering that the "recommended" option of leveling up in Eureka is joining the NM hunt raids almost immediately after getting in and just getting a couple hits on the NM for the XP when the higher levels kill it? It... it kinda is. And has been for a while. And - being a level 20 like he was - I am sure he did some standing around on his own or being ferried somewhere or rezzed by someone because he was in an area you would otherwise not want to be. So it's also horrendously hypocritical unless he solo grinded his way all the way to 20.

I could be wrong, so don't quote me on this, but I've heard that the GMs are taking that kind of thing seriously now, and you can get banned for it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 9:28 AM, Tregarde said:

Back in one of my guilds in SWTOR, we would do "Bikini Ops Runs."  It was particularly appropriate for Karagga's Palace, in which you're trying to escape a Hutt's stronghold. :D

Tank proceeds to pull large groups.
Healer (me) more then OK with this.
Tank after First Boss proceeds to pull all the groups again but STOPS Short suddenly of a group only 6 - 12 falm's away!

Heal (me) Accidently gets agro because I over run the Tank.
Group proceeds to kill all the mobs, No one dies and mobs are dead.

Tank proceeds to call the Healer Out (me) out telling me I shouldn't pull I am not a tank.
Healer (me) responds, "It was an accident as I over ran you as you immediately stopped without warning."
Tank responds, "I was distracted so I stopped short, Still you really shouldn't have pulled. You are not a Tank."
Healer (Me), "I am sorry then I'll make sure to fine tune my ability to read minds and to increase my reaction time so I can stop before you decide to stop. My bad! Also I'll make sure someone die's next time so you can properly rant on!"
Tank no response and we finish the dungeon.

I was a bit snarky, but mistakes happen. The tank had a pattern and was pulling everything.. I just hate being told I should be able to read someone's motives and be blamed for doing something when the mistake doesn't even end in our group wiping. Note: We agreed to pull big, So Typically as a healer I am literally on the Knights rear so I can react properly.

Edited by Ryslo Suramlo
  • 1 month later...

Here's to the Lance I ran into in Tam-aTara last night. 

First some background:  1) I am visually impaired, being effectively blind in one eye, with a limited field of vision - something I warn all my groups of.  2) I'm a level capped wite mage and a Mentor (and was wearing my crown icon last night.  Anyway, we get into the dungeon.  This Lancer keeps rushing ahead, pulling half the time, stealing aggro from the tank.   Her poor performance was making it hard for me to do my job the whole way through.  When we get to thew final boss, I am typing, trying to explain the mechanics of the fight to the tank, who had never done it, and, aah-dee-dah, she pulls while I'm typing.  We get thropugh without anyone dying, and she hs the nerve to, before the dungeon ends, say, and I quote, "Heal faster, plz."  Our other DPS, the Thm, is a friend of mine who just rolled a new alt on my server, but who has Capped characters on her old server.  She is Livid.  I'm Livid.  Of course, afterwards, I look this little twit up on the Lodestone, and see that she has ZERO olevels of any of the three Healing classes.

• 1 month later...

Was more funny than anything. XD I went into Dzemael Darkhold as tank and this other guy is all lets pull big. He goes off and grabs two more spawns. 5 seconds later we're all dead.

Edited by Charity322
On 7/30/2018 at 10:37 PM, Charity322 said:

Was more funny than anything. XD I went into Dzemael Darkhold as tank and this other guy is all lets pull big. He goes off and grabs two more spawns. 5 seconds later we're all dead.

Dzemael Darkhold is the most bipolar dungeon in this game. Before the first boss you can pull as much as you want, stand in the purple light, and take little damage. It's a tank's dream. After the first boss the dungeon starts throwing ranged enemies at you so even though you could probably handle tanking more it's not worth it because you can't group them up properly for aoe. After the second boss you get to those frogs... You could pull a couple packs over there but if people get hit by the frog aoe or run off the edge themselves you're wiping for sure. It's not worth the risk when the odds are pretty high you have someone new. The only reason those frogs don't have a reputation as newbie killers is because Aurum Vale is right after and it's 10x worse.

8 hours ago, Mermaid said:

Dzemael Darkhold is the most bipolar dungeon in this game. Before the first boss you can pull as much as you want, stand in the purple light, and take little damage. It's a tank's dream. After the first boss the dungeon starts throwing ranged enemies at you so even though you could probably handle tanking more it's not worth it because you can't group them up properly for aoe. After the second boss you get to those frogs... You could pull a couple packs over there but if people get hit by the frog aoe or run off the edge themselves you're wiping for sure. It's not worth the risk when the odds are pretty high you have someone new. The only reason those frogs don't have a reputation as newbie killers is because Aurum Vale is right after and it's 10x worse.

It is probably the best and more technical 4 man dungeon, that still challenges parties today (content and level of party). After these original dungeons they all seemed to become very similar and easy to out gear/rush. This is why it remains one of my favourite dungeons and a pain in the ass.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Raid Roulette and one of the tanks died very early in … and stayed dead. He had definitely been offered a raise 'cause I saw the timer expire on him. Eventually the healers realised that trying to raise him was pointless and stopped trying. He had not disconnected.

The raid was fricking hard and the poor other tank had a lot of pressure on him. As soon as it's over floor tank leaps up and helps himself to a share of the loot. Dude, if you tank the floor the entire raid you don't get loot. DX

• 4 weeks later...

What kind of backwards raid tier is Alphascape Normal?

I can spend ages playing Whack-A-Mole in 12. You know, keep both tanks alive during the last phase, keep ressing the other healer, ressing the Bards when I can because they have Refresh and there's no Red Mage, finally running completely out of mana and dying but having the other healer up to res me, FINALLY getting the LB3 to pick everyone up... At least it felt nice when one person asked which healer to commend for that, the other healer said me within seconds, and I walked out with 6/7 commendations and the piece I needed.

Meanwhile, over in 9, there's seemingly more wipe mechanics. So you do god knows how many pulls healing a tank that doesn't mitigate tank busters, doesn't understand that the machinist is asking for a countdown for their ammo not for everyone to just stand around waiting, and doesn't move the boss for the wind phase before you finally get past the Dark Crystal and get an LB3 off to raise the 1/2 - 2/3rds of the group that died because the boss was tanked in the tornado again.

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY IT'S ALL GONE TO SHIT!

Seriously though, this feels backwards.

Edited by Mermaid

Where you in my O9S party, pretty sure that was me asking for a countdown... Then the tank proceeded to wait for like 2min before pulling.

To their defense I guess they didn't seem acutely aware of the existence of the countdown function. Not gonna blame them not to know anything about MCH either. Nobody knows it even exist and even less how it plays.

Edited by Valence
22 hours ago, Valence said:

Where you in my O9S party, pretty sure that was me asking for a countdown... Then the tank proceeded to wait for like 2min before pulling.

To their defense I guess they didn't seem acutely aware of the existence of the countdown function. Not gonna blame them not to know anything about MCH either. Nobody knows it even exist and even less how it plays.

O9S? I raid with a static on my main so I've only popped into a couple clear parties on my alt and I think it's always been bards. This was in a run of normal at like stupid o'clock in the morning when I was brain fried, about to pass out, and forgot I was even in queue. I don't blame anyone for not knowing which classes need specific amounts of time. I've heard MCH needs to get their ammo back but off the top of my head I couldn't tell you how long since I've very rarely run with them. The standing around for ages though on top of the inability to recognize mechanics after wiping to them multiple times however... That kind of got to me when I was already worn out from raiding trying to get my gear up to speed.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Charity322 said:

Is there any way to complain about being wrongfully dismissed from a party? I don't appreciate being booted because someone disagreed with me.

Depending on the reason, chat logs, etc. you can report for things like that and action miiight be taken. The problem with reporting for being booted from a group is the GMs will accept "difference in playstyle" as a valid reason to dismiss someone. For example, you're in POTD opening all the silver chests because your aetherpool is low but the other 3 people aren't and just want to speedrun? They have a reason, backed by the GMs, to kick you and you're just sol.

13 hours ago, Mermaid said:

Depending on the reason, chat logs, etc. you can report for things like that and action miiight be taken. The problem with reporting for being booted from a group is the GMs will accept "difference in playstyle" as a valid reason to dismiss someone. For example, you're in POTD opening all the silver chests because your aetherpool is low but the other 3 people aren't and just want to speedrun? They have a reason, backed by the GMs, to kick you and you're just sol.

Wow, that's shitty. Why can't people just work things out together?

Thanks. I won't bother reporting. From yesterday with fuck those guys, to today with they aren't worth my time. XD I still maintain that tagging the tanks with markers is annoying and people should be allowed to take them off.

10 hours ago, Charity322 said:

Wow, that's shitty. Why can't people just work things out together?

Thanks. I won't bother reporting. From yesterday with fuck those guys, to today with they aren't worth my time. XD I still maintain that tagging the tanks with markers is annoying and people should be allowed to take them off.

Honestly? That's probably one of the most valid "difference in playstyle" reasons I've heard. Back when I was doing God Kefka with my static we almost always put markers on the tanks so it'd be more noticeable who to avoid for Ultimate Embrace. First time someone gets cleaved we're sticking the markers on them. The warrior was usually one of the taller races and had like blue/green/turquoise glamours against the yellow or red stage. The paladin, on the other hand, was always a female xeala.

I have a friend I've helped clear EX Primals and her fall back strategy when she doesn't know what to do is to follow me. Tsukuyomi EX, for example, my right/left callouts for Dark Blade and Bright Blade didn't help her. She needed east/west for whatever reason but I had the mental association of bright = right. I tried to translate right/left into east/west for her but I just couldn't do it fast enough. Her solution? Put a marker on my head so she knew where I went without having to look for my character. If someone were to come into a party I made to help her and/or her friends farm/clear and someone insisted on removing that marker that she needed? I'm sorry but I would've kicked them. If we'd joined someone else's party and we couldn't come to an agreement? We would've left. I do believe she learned it herself eventually but for her first ten clears at least she just needed that marker.

Buuut I wonder if your case wasn't just some weird situation where it was pointless?