The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

Oh, I remembered an actual instance of frustration.

Did Haukke NM the other night in roulette and my complimentary DPS was a black mage. A black mage who only cast blizzard. No bliz 2. No fire of any variety. Would cast thunder on bosses once and then bliz bliz bliz bliz bliz.

I don't think it was RMTbot because the name wasn't gibberish, but that wasn't even what bugged me. I tried to explain (reasonably! I know that's hard to believe) that fire spells do more damage and black mages can switch back and forth between elements to-

Nope. Blizzard 1. And they didn't help on any adds during the boss, or touch any lamps. Bliz bliz bliz bliz bliz.

Preemptive edit/disclaimer: Character was under level sync, there was no new person message (don't remember if NMs get them) and they had pinks from higher dungeons. I don't consider expecting someone to know how to play elitism, and I even understand they might have been a console player without a keyboard. Outright ignoring advice will forever make me angry.

I've had to actually explain the whole astral/umbral spellcasting thing a few times. It's a nightmare to explain and get someone to understand until they actually cast/see it themselves. I know this pain. 

...I DRed a Sastasha NM once and got a brand-new THM who prioritized sleeping the enemies before attacking. ...and would only spam thunder. After much, much, much explaining, we had her doing optimal astral-umbral rotations and her exact response was "OMG I didn't even know I could kill things this easily!"

It was amazing. 

...her LNC companion though? Couldn't figure out how mark numbers worked. Psst, buddy, you don't start with attacking the [2] mark when 1 2 and 3 are out.

Outright ignoring advice will forever make me angry.

I had a situation where I'm not sure if the guy was ignoring us or just didn't understand or... something.

Oddly enough, it was in Darkhold again (I'm sensing a pattern). I was healing and our tank absolutely refused to stand in the light of the crystal when tanking the adds. Like, he actively stood outside them. We repeatedly told him that he'd take less damage inside it, but he still avoided them like the plague.

... Even during the boss. When I realized he was just going to stand outside the light and eat all the blasts, I let him die and had the DRG tank instead.

He then... proceeded to apparently not understand he was supposed to click on the Magitek portal to move to the next area and wandered around the first part for a while as we tried to tell him what he had to do.

In the end, we vote-kicked him.

... and got him RIGHT back again and he returned to wandering the first area. So the rest of us said our goodbyes and bailed. Extremely dumb, extreme trolling, or extreme miscommunication? I still don't know.

Outright ignoring advice will forever make me angry.

I had a situation where I'm not sure if the guy was ignoring us or just didn't understand or... something.

Oddly enough, it was in Darkhold again (I'm sensing a pattern). I was healing and our tank absolutely refused to stand in the light of the crystal when tanking the adds. Like, he actively stood outside them. We repeatedly told him that he'd take less damage inside it, but he still avoided them like the plague.

... Even during the boss. When I realized he was just going to stand outside the light and eat all the blasts, I let him die and had the DRG tank instead.

He then... proceeded to apparently not understand he was supposed to click on the Magitek portal to move to the next area and wandered around the first part for a while as we tried to tell him what he had to do.

In the end, we vote-kicked him.

... and got him RIGHT back again and he returned to wandering the first area. So the rest of us said our goodbyes and bailed. Extremely dumb, extreme trolling, or extreme miscommunication? I still don't know.

Lmaooooooooo he wasn't done with you yet my friend. 

He'll be back.

I actually, for once, vote dismissed a blm from cutter's cry back when I was leveling SCH. They used Blizz more than anything even though I calmly tried to explain that Fire is much better...

No response.

Nothing.

Then I did a gear examine and saw that the only thing they had for their class was the weapon. Everything else was gatherer or crafting gear. Other dps noticed as well. Vote kick.

--------------------------

In other news, why do people not acknowledge things?

ACN with Topaz Carbuncle in Tam Tara. "Hello!" - Three of us sans ACN greet each other.

I then say, "Hello, we're doing a dungeon so you don't need the topaz carbuncle. please switch to the emerald carbuncle."

No response. Nothing.

"The topaz carbuncle is much better suited for solo content. Since we have a tank, you don't need to use it and the emerald carbuncle will be better."

Noooope nothing.

Auto-translate "Emerald carbuncle." "Please ______"

Nooope.

Notice the MRD is using Overpower a lot because the ACN is sometimes facepulling or tankbuncle pulling or the topaz carbuncle is keeping/gaining agro. "Don't bother wasting your TP trying to get hate off the carbuncle."

I never heal the carbuncle. The carbuncle either dies from low hp or that they used Place or Stay and ran out of range. Either way, Summon II all the time.

I get it if new. It's understandable. But no response. Ever. At all. Even when asked. Nope.

I didn't care one inch that they got locked out of fights. /elitistbitchingover

I was trying to do AK for one of my many relics. Somehow, we got two new people. Tried helping and offering suggestions to help. Mostly just replied with "lol."

It wouldn't have been so bad if these people weren't pants-on-head clueless. 

We got to Demon Wall, and before I could pull, one skirted up to the edge, looked around, then walked off. They died. The other one watched, saw him die, and in the spirit of a true Lemming, walked off with him. Maybe he was seeing if it would happen again. It did. 

We wiped on the last boss a few times somehow. I think we almost ran out of time at the end. 

I might have cried.

I was trying to do AK for one of my many relics. Somehow, we got two new people. Tried helping and offering suggestions to help. Mostly just replied with "lol."

I should note that the opposite end of the spectrum can be just as bad. People who don't bother trying to help explain how to do the fight and expecting you to do it.

To wit, Diabolos and his Delightful Doors. First time I got there, someone else did the doors (a BLM, I think?), so I understood the concept vaguely enough but not how to go about it.

I come back to it to a later date and the tank was adamant that I had to do it because "the healer always does it." Wouldn't provide any recommendations on how best to do it, things that might help with remembering which door was which (such as marking which, I must admit, I don't actually do at all), or anything. Just that the healer always did it and since I was the healer, that meant I had to do it.

I ultimately figured out an easy way to do it so I don't need to worry about trying to remember each and every pair to get the marks up... but that first time was rather obnoxious.

(The trick I learned was that the door's symbols reveal themselves again when you travel through the nether or whatever. So you just find one pair, open that, and find another pair at your leisure while you're avoiding Diabolos' big ol' attack.)

That's some bull right there. You know who does it best?

Tank.

That's right.

Not DPS. Not heals.

The tank.

What else are you really going to do?

You don't need to silence while you  mark. :roll:

Marking doors, sure.

Opening doors? You don't want the tank doing that.

INTERRUPTED

INTERRUPTED

INTERRUPTED

INTERRUPTED

INTERRUPTED

(mind you, this is prepping a door. Once the cast starts, tank's free)

I should note that the opposite end of the spectrum can be just as bad. People who don't bother trying to help explain how to do the fight and expecting you to do it.

I was JUST about to post something like this.  

I, on the other hand, am typically always on the nub end of the spectrum.  I've not broken too far into end-game yet, and am also not a big dungeon runner unless there's something in said dungeon I really want.  ... Typically for glamour.  *sweats*

But that said, I always inform people of this immediately.  Say hello, tell them I'm new, that I've never done this before, and that I have a spotty connection and might fall behind at times. (my literal 7 FPS average makes me wonder how the heck I even survive.) Most of the time I get 'its cool' or 'thanks for the heads up'.  And most of the time it actually goes pretty well.

But then there are the times during a fight which has specific mechanics to it, and no one explains them.  When I ask, and then nothing.  Usually it takes a wipe or two for them to start speaking up, if they do, though I've once had a tank that was so incredibly insistent on being silent, and not waiting for anyone, that he'd just run ahead and continue to die before anyone else could keep up with him.

I mean, I feel bad that I can't always keep up right with the group, but I do try my damnedest to make it clear where I stand so everyone knows.  I also listen to directions given.  What gets me is when people ignore communicating to the point where no one can move forward.  Or where everyone just gives up before the final boss due to not listening to the directions given.  When I, the total nub with the unfortunate movespeed of a slug in comparison, have to pick up their slack (if I even can) it's a pretty sad day.

What's the Madda?

Madda's well versed in the Tank / Healers roles of FFXIV. However, when doings PUGs and such, Madda has enforced two very new rules in order to move things along. 

Maybe Madda lied. They're so Madda doesn't have to explain to you why you're an idiot for running into a pack of mobs and expecting Madda to tank those as well as another 3-4+ mobs.

Tank: If Madda is tanking, and the DPS pull any mobs deliberately (Madda knows), they will be tanking the mobs pulled on their own. There are some classes that have a positional requirement, but when pay attention to your surroundings. If a pat is coming just behind us, and the Ninja moves there just so he can get another 20% damage increase on his backstab (or whatever class/spell) and we're not on a boss, you should know better. That ability damn well better take at least 30% of the guy's HP.

Healer: Probably the most dangerous position of power you can give Madda. In dungeons or raids, Madda is your God. You will pay your blessings to Madda. Being nice and polite as well as competent gets you heals. Being 8 years old and pissy because you lost a roll / having a bad day, however, will make you the lowest priority on Madda's list.

Madda will heal the Scholar / Summoner pet over you. Madda has gotten kicked several times for this.

also will you please let Madda cast Protect before running away?

To Duo Quers

Madda's glad you found a friend to do dungeons or whatever with, Madda is. But if your friend makes a mistake and can't handle criticism well, don't go and be his white knight. 

If you're at the point where you blame somebody else for a mistake you made, and can't handle the responsibility of swallowing pride, please play with a controller. As entertaining as it is to watch you scream and wave your arms around like a stuffed animal that gained consciousness, we'd like to get on with the dungeon / raid.

As a healer, I see some horrifying things that most people wouldn't even notice. However, despite the potatoes and assholes I've come across in this game, it's been pretty tame compared the the endless nightmare that was PuGing in WoW. There were some people in WoW so terrible that I still remember them years later. 

But, this is about XIV, and I do have one person from XIV who's bad enough to talk about. I met him 2 days ago. We were doing the lvl40 guildhest where you have to kill the 5 voidsent at the same time or they respawn. Now, I rarely see groups do this correctly the first time, because nobody reads the fucking directions... However, most groups will get it on the second try. 

Yesterday, we had one attempt go for almost half an hour. I was the tank, and there was this black mage who kept focusing a single target. After he killed one, I stood there and explained to him how the fight worked. He ignored me. After he killed a few more, I did some chat-noises and explained it again. 

"I heard you the first time"

K... After we'd been fighting for over 10 minutes, I finally went off. "Holy shit," I say, "Apparently we're just going to be in here forever, because this guy can't be asked to switch targets."

"Chill dude" he says, "it's my first time in here"

"Wow!" I proclaim, as I fall ever further to the temptation of the dark side. "I'm just thinking that, I've told you three times now, the NPC has been shouting instructions at you the whole time, and even a retard could have figured this out through trial and error by now. You say "I heard you the first time", but then you don't actually do anything about it."

After a few more minutes, I couldn't handle it anymore. I tried to leave, but you can't leave in combat so I just stopped tanking. God bless this healer, he was a trooper, but he just would not let anyone die. So I got up, made a sandwich, sat back down, and started tanking again. Around the 26-minute mark, this black mage miraculously starts target-swapping. Just before the half-hour, we get it. 

I just logged off for the day at that point. Couldn't handle the sadness.

On the note of the Diabolos doors, apparently that is not even a mechanic people bother with so much anymore. I can see why, with dps checks on people running quickly, but alas, I was met with a sea of profanities when I has bothered to go along as I was used to.

That's also a bit annoying.

On the note of the Diabolos doors, apparently that is not even a mechanic people bother with so much anymore.

Yes if you have the DPS is good.

Please ask your healer if they are up to it/willing/can handle it groups T_T

I got my sch to 50 after ST loot lockout was dropped and Brayflox HM moved to High Level. My SCH is nicely geared, I can probably raid with it. But I'd never healed speedruns. Especially Brayflox.

Queue Kage: OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGUDIDN'TSAYANYTHINGABOUTTHISSSSSSS

No deaths but thank you I am quite awake now.

On the note of the Diabolos doors, apparently that is not even a mechanic people bother with so much anymore. I can see why, with dps checks on people running quickly, but alas, I was met with a sea of profanities when I has bothered to go along as I was used to.

That's also a bit annoying.

Yeah, that must be a relatively new thing, because someone mentioned just DPS rushing the boss last time I got that instance. I was healing, so I just went "Sure, go for it. I'm just gonna have a door ready just in case." The big spell started and he wasn't close enough to death yet, so I took us under and we killed him before the second one.

And yeah, speedrun healing basically devolves into spamming ALL THE HEALS OH GOD STOP MELTING. It's why I started getting my three Aetherflow stacks at the start while doing initial buffs. I like having my panic button. :blush:

It's been possible to kill Diabolos before the second Omen since that content was current, but I wouldn't bet on a PUG being able to do it. Mostly everyone should have the HP to survive the first Omen now and he should generally be dead before the second.

Edit: Diabolos is stunnable, so a wily one should be able to keep Nightmares from going off and slowing DPS. It's still fun on the healer during/after that first Omen, though. I don't envy you guys.

You mean I actually get to see the Giant Ink Ball of Doom and Gloom now instead of staring at the floor? Thank God.

That always pissed me off about Diabolos, especially after first seeing the trailer for it. I was all OMG SO PRETTY and then you get to do the actual fight and the door mechanic more or less forces your camera to the floor so you can't see his beautiful ultimate attack. ; A ;

And yeah, speedrun healing basically devolves into spamming ALL THE HEALS OH GOD STOP MELTING. It's why I started getting my three Aetherflow stacks at the start while doing initial buffs. I like having my panic button. :blush:

I try to do a reasonable job of using aetherflow stacks and using it on CD.

Except, I've also learned where some big pulls are in Snowcloak. Or when speshul tanks insist on pulling the whole last room before Fenrir and DON'T STUN THE STUPID HARRIERS AND JUST LET THEM ALL BE SCREAMING PIECES OF SHIT THAT HURT OHGODWHY WITHOUT SAYING THEY WILL

I forget is it Stun the Nightmare or Silence the Nightmare? I remember it being a difference. It's Stun?