The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

YOU'VE GOT A CONQUEROR, YOU'VE GOT OVERPOWER, WTF IS THE PROBLEM

All right. I will tell you WTF IS THE PROBLEM because apparently nobody tanks as warrior here. It's not in threat gen, but rather just how much of an afterthought WAR tanking actually is when it comes to design.

Overpower : Great tool, costs 130 TP, can be mashed, does not grant wrath stacks.

Steel Cyclone : GREATEST TOOL, better in every way than Overpower, costs 5 Wrath stacks

In short, if you're AoE tanking, you have to do single target until you get a chance to Steel Cyclone if your Infuriate is down or spam Overpower, where you will never see a Steel Cyclone again.

The problem is that since you're doing single target, you're not hitting the fuckers on the side. Who are the problem since they'll rush off to the squishies doing AoE burn or healing like mad (or better yet, overhealing.) If you're doing Overpower over and over again, you run out of TP (and NINs don't goad because fuck you that's why) and can't keep them up.

Either that or I blow at threat gen, which is a MUCH HIGHER POSSIBILITY.

On the trash packs in ST, though (specifically the first floor and the second floor) spiking hate is more important than having something to do with your GCDs. With 15 DPS no one should even be approaching hate threshholds if you open hard and TP will be back before you move to a boss. You've also got Flash for a not-token amount of threat if you bottom out and things aren't quite dead yet.

There are more effective ways to establish threat than Steel Cyclone when you get so much breathing room between trash and bosses.

Clarifying edit: I've only been talking about ST trash for the purposes of this discussion. One or two Overpowers is typical for dungeons and the like.

With flash, Overpower, provoke and Steel cyclone available on 5 stacks and at least once a minute with infuriate, I don't run into problems at all. Gear's 110 mosty (with a couple 100s left). 

When you go in, go hard: Beserk, Steel cyclone, go crazy (when beserk gives you that pacification debuff and no one cleanses you, by the time you flash twice it's over!). If you ever end up with infuriate while also having 5 stacks, go wild -- unchain yourself, Steel cyclone, overpower, flash, be a beast. Playing warrior isn't about sweating over GCDs and squinting at your infuriate stacks, it's about being a bloody beast with your abilities so that you get to the top of the threat table by so far a margin that by the time the DPS catch up, you're ready to wreck again.

Oh, I remembered an actual instance of frustration.

Did Haukke NM the other night in roulette and my complimentary DPS was a black mage. A black mage who only cast blizzard. No bliz 2. No fire of any variety. Would cast thunder on bosses once and then bliz bliz bliz bliz bliz.

I don't think it was RMTbot because the name wasn't gibberish, but that wasn't even what bugged me. I tried to explain (reasonably! I know that's hard to believe) that fire spells do more damage and black mages can switch back and forth between elements to-

Nope. Blizzard 1. And they didn't help on any adds during the boss, or touch any lamps. Bliz bliz bliz bliz bliz.

Preemptive edit/disclaimer: Character was under level sync, there was no new person message (don't remember if NMs get them) and they had pinks from higher dungeons. I don't consider expecting someone to know how to play elitism, and I even understand they might have been a console player without a keyboard. Outright ignoring advice will forever make me angry.

I had a situation where I'm not sure if the guy was ignoring us or just didn't understand or... something.

Oddly enough, it was in Darkhold again (I'm sensing a pattern). I was healing and our tank absolutely refused to stand in the light of the crystal when tanking the adds. Like, he actively stood outside them. We repeatedly told him that he'd take less damage inside it, but he still avoided them like the plague.

I actually, for once, vote dismissed a blm from cutter's cry back when I was leveling SCH. They used Blizz more than anything even though I calmly tried to explain that Fire is much better...

No response.

Nothing.

Then I did a gear examine and saw that the only thing they had for their class was the weapon. Everything else was gatherer or crafting gear. Other dps noticed as well. Vote kick.

Had to skip over the current posts to share a similar experience. (I'll read the others after I promise.;; )

I also did roulette (just the low level one) recently. Skipped cutscene, popped Protect and waited for the PLD tank to move. Standard stuff. But then he just... stood there. He moved after a few seconds and proceeds to attack. No shield lob, no flash--so naturally things started to come for me. The NIN and BRD told him nicely he should use Flash when he can (and in proximity of the mobs). We move on, he uses Flash out of sight of the mobs, still hasn't used shield lob.. I figured he's either lagging or he's pretty new, so I just /cheered him on when the NIN and BRD scolded(?) him again. Plus he wasn't talking at all so maaaybe he was feeling embarrassed?

Bottomline is, I gave him the benefit of the doubt all throughout the dungeon even if he still used Flash in front of walls and inanimate objects. The other two left without another word and I was left with this guy. The only thing he said was "Have what do".

And then he left the instance.

What?

(also i'm sorry i don't have anything to vent?? is this already off-topic??)

When you go in, go hard: Beserk, Steel cyclone, go crazy (when beserk gives you that pacification debuff and no one cleanses you, by the time you flash twice it's over!). If you ever end up with infuriate while also having 5 stacks, go wild -- unchain yourself, Steel cyclone, overpower, flash, be a beast. Playing warrior isn't about sweating over GCDs and squinting at your infuriate stacks, it's about being a bloody beast with your abilities so that you get to the top of the threat table by so far a margin that by the time the DPS catch up, you're ready to wreck again.

Is that how it works? WAR is... 37ish on my main and I've been trying to figure out how to maintain aggro on groups without running myself dry in short order (and, as mentioned, the bevvy of NIN seem to never give me that tasty Goad). Currently, in dungeons, I tend to throw a few Overpowers, Flash a time or two, and then focus damage on one target while using the third in the basic combo to smack either the enemy that will be next in line or... more likely... whatever target the OTHER DPS is hitting rather than the main target (also known as what the FIRST DPS is hitting, since it's not uncommon for them to pick their own targets rather than hit what I'm hitting).

Is it just a matter of not having my entire toolset yet? Or am I just fundamentally approaching it wrong?

Had to skip over the current posts to share a similar experience. (I'll read the others after I promise.;; )

I also did roulette (just the low level one) recently. Skipped cutscene, popped Protect and waited for the PLD tank to move. Standard stuff. But then he just... stood there. He moved after a few seconds and proceeds to attack. No shield lob, no flash--so naturally things started to come for me. The NIN and BRD told him nicely he should use Flash when he can (and in proximity of the mobs). We move on, he uses Flash out of sight of the mobs, still hasn't used shield lob.. I figured he's either lagging or he's pretty new, so I just /cheered him on when the NIN and BRD scolded(?) him again. Plus he wasn't talking at all so maaaybe he was feeling embarrassed?

Bottomline is, I gave him the benefit of the doubt all throughout the dungeon even if he still used Flash in front of walls and inanimate objects. The other two left without another word and I was left with this guy. The only thing he said was "Have what do".

And then he left the instance.

What?

(also i'm sorry i don't have anything to vent?? is this already off-topic??)

Possibly didn't speak English? I've heard horror stories of people getting into dungeons with gladiators and paladins without shields even EQUIPPED, let alone not using Shield Lob. There really needs to be a firmer hand where the game tells you to go do your class quests. My MRD is 27 from 1.0's time, and before taking I did exactly one dungeon on it before realizing I didn't have Tomahawk. Whoops.

Different gripe: NIN is 43 and I'm trying to push it to 44 so I can at least try to benefit from my inevitable DZ spam for Zodiac. Of course I get Ifrit.

Of course it's with a minimum-level gladiator and with another ninja.

OF COURSE the other ninja doesn't attack the nail and we wipe to inferno.

OF COURSE COMPLETION LEAVES ME 2/3 TO LEVEL.

Whine whine whine. My life is so hard you guys. So hard.

Is that how it works? WAR is... 37ish on my main and I've been trying to figure out how to maintain aggro on groups without running myself dry in short order (and, as mentioned, the bevvy of NIN seem to never give me that tasty Goad). Currently, in dungeons, I tend to throw a few Overpowers, Flash a time or two, and then focus damage on one target while using the third in the basic combo to smack either the enemy that will be next in line or... more likely... whatever target the OTHER DPS is hitting rather than the main target (also known as what the FIRST DPS is hitting, since it's not uncommon for them to pick their own targets rather than hit what I'm hitting).

Is it just a matter of not having my entire toolset yet? Or am I just fundamentally approaching it wrong?

You gotta work with what you have. As a leveling WAR I'd overpower once, then flash until out of MP (lol aka three or four times). It saved a hell of a lot on my TP during pulls, and I would always make sure I was at full TP before going into a fight (I like to stand where I am and do /stretch when I'm filling up, the party usually seems to understand what that means). 

The way I see it, Paladins have a one-two-three structure with steady threat abilities and cooldowns to keep them alive. They play a piano, and it's a beautiful song. People who enjoy structured playstyles tend to enjoy it and hold it as superior, from what I've noticed.

Warriors: You have your box of hammers and your job is to find a way to fuck up as MANY things with those hammers as possible and keep them as angry as possible at you while your buddies wreck them. It's visceral, wild, thrilling and requires that triggery sort of nature. Playstyle for the wild ones! 

They both are excellent jobs, and it's really a matter of your preference in playstyle. From there, it's up to the player to learn to master the use of the tools given to do the job!

OF COURSE the other ninja doesn't attack the nail and we wipe to inferno.

My personal favorite "wingnuts who ignore the fight mechanics" situations so far are both in Guildhests - those who ignore the "you have to kill them all basically at the same time" mechanic in that one level 40 one whose name I can never remember...

And the DPS who never move off of the turtle in... Heroes on a Half Shell or whatever it's called? I've taken to just spamming Flash, standing around, or even dragging the turtle over to the Fire Spirit. I've been lucky enough that usually ONE DPS is paying enough attention that the turtle hasn't been straight-up killed yet... but I'm thinking it's only a matter of time.

The way I see it, Paladins have a one-two-three structure with steady threat abilities and cooldowns to keep them alive. They play a piano, and it's a beautiful song. People who enjoy structured playstyles tend to enjoy it and hold it as superior, from what I've noticed.

Warriors: You have your box of hammers and your job is to find a way to fuck up as MANY things with those hammers as possible and keep them as angry as possible at you while your buddies wreck them. It's visceral, wild, thrilling and requires that triggery sort of nature. Playstyle for the wild ones!

I like that comparison. I suppose I'm the pianist, though. I like being able to steadily maintain threat and have all those cooldowns for when things start getting hairy. Also being able to heal yourself when the healer goes down in some situations is REALLY handy (I EXPLAINED to you how the Cutter's Cry Chimera boss' eyes work BEFORE the fight, why do you keep getting thundered to death?) in squeaking out a win over having to do the whole thing again.

There IS something viscerally fun about just spamming Overpower, though. Especially when you pop Berserk, Bloodlust, and Convalescence. Sure, you may not be healing a lot but SO MANY GREEN NUMBERS. :love:

To be honest I find WAR/MRD tanking much better than PLD/GLA in terms of how -easy- it is to keep and maintain agro.

Especially once you get butcher's block.

What I do in dungeons for pulls (and not like.. large pulls LOLSNOWCLOAK)

Tomahawk.

As they run to me... OVERPOWER

Flash Flash

Butcher's block combo on main

OVERPOWER

Then use Butcher's block but start spreading it.

I shouldn't lose agro unless they're being aoe'd down and in that case a few more OVERPOWER or Flash may be needed.

Ever since 50 I've had a -lot- less moments where I go "lol wait TP"

And it's only when I've biiiig pulls and had blown a few "defensive" cooldowns.

The best thing of ST before I ditched it and just farmed T7-8 is...

Hi main tank. Or off-tanks. I realize you all want to hit the main mob squeeze. But I'd like to heal you without worrying that I attracted every. single. non-main mob. possible.

Thank you.

"/sh OTs please grab adds so people can get healed"

Edit: hehe... Mechanics from enrage.

I forgot that my WAR is STR spec'd and typically starts off with strength accessories.

Go into Moogle HM.

Be told I get King.

Forget how much damage I do cause I JUST UNCHAINED + BERSERK + INTERNAL RELEASE AAAAAAWWWW YIIS

Wait - OH SHIT IS THAT 60% OH SHIT THAT'S MEMENTO. OH FUCK ONLY ONE MOOGLE HAS DIED

"oops I forgot that I do damage..."

*shoves paladins to the side and boldly steps forth*

Ahem. Common practice for leveling WARs / new players who are leveling WAR is as follows for pulls involving multiple mobs:

1. Tomahawk.

2. Overpower.

3. Overpower.

4. Start Butcher's Block combo.

5. If necessary, weave Flashes between weaponskills.

6. If Flashes prove insufficient, insert as many Overpowers as you deem necessary inbetween your combos.

7. If you're in real danger of losing multiple mobs, break your weapon combo in order to Overpower.

8. Remember that Skull Sunder and Butcher's Block have better single-target returns on enmity than Overpower.

After each pull, reassess your need for snap aggro based on how quickly or slowly your DDs were pulling off you, and then adjust how often you Overpower and Flash accordingly. You'll need more if you're significantly outgeared and/or a DRG/BRD/BLM is getting lucky with crits or procs. You can settle for less if you outgear your DPS and/or your DPS consists primarily of single-target DDs. These are general guidelines, not rules: if on a particular pull you feel you need to adjust in a certain direction, DO SO.

Do keep in mind that Overpower and Flash are both tools, not crutches. Don't mindlessly spam Overpower, and strictly speaking Flash isn't necessary (in fact, later on you'll want to swap it out in some endgame instances for different CDs) though it has its uses (snaps aggro on mobs behind you and to the side, doesn't wake slept mobs, can be used at any time without breaking weaponskill combos). Also keep in mind that, owing to its nature as a weaponskill, Overpower scales better with level and gear compared to Flash.

I personally prefer to save my MP so that I can Flash after Berserk runs out, since the large majority of healers are either incapable of or don't bother with cleansing the four-second Pacification (and SCHs don't get Leeches until level 40 anyway).

Tips to help manage your TP better:

1. Use Wrath-reliant weaponskills (Infuriate and Steel Cyclone) whenever possible.  They are TP-free weaponskills, so the sooner you use them the more often you're saving yourself from using some TP AND giving yourself time to recover TP. You can only use them once you hit 5 Wrath stacks, which are built through combo'd SS, combo'd BB, combo'd Maim, combo'd SP/SE, Berserk, Vengeance, and Infuriate.

In your case Gegenji, since you're only level 37 and don't have Steel Cyclone yet (a big help with AoE enmity), you should be using Inner Beast whenever you can unless there's a big hit you need to mitigate, in which case hang on to your stacks and time your IB.

2. Substitute Flash (and Steel Cyclone once you have it) for Overpower every once in a while.  

3. Refrain from using Tomahawk unless it's for initiating a pull (standard practice) or following up a Provoke attempt to peel an errant mob off a DD/healer back onto yourself from range. Combo'd Butcher's Block peels better for less TP. Yes, you'll have to give up on all the hard work and effort that went into arranging the other mobs in the perfect positions, but walk on over there and BB that sucker anyway.

Speaking of tanks, I may or may not get irrationally annoyed with them when I've finished buffing up everyone before a boss pull and give them Eye-for-an-Eye... and they just sit there. Doubly so if someone's done a ready check and everyone's come back as ready and raring to go.

That Adlo and Eye are ticking down, man! Get to movin'!

Speaking of tanks, I may or may not get irrationally annoyed with them when I've finished buffing up everyone before a boss pull and give them Eye-for-an-Eye... and they just sit there. Doubly so if someone's done a ready check and everyone's come back as ready and raring to go.

That Adlo and Eye are ticking down, man! Get to movin'!

Not just the Adlo and Eye... I FUCKING CRIT THAT ADLO. GREEN IS GO MOFO TANK YOU ALREADY DID READY CHECK

*starts taking notes for his Rawrior rotations, checking them against the commentariat*

Hmm...so far so good...though question--the second I hit five stacks, I tend to blast off a Steel Cyclone or an Inner Beast (unless the ST is near-dead anyway). Am I "doing it wrong scrublord noobkid lrn 2 play"?

*starts taking notes for his Rawrior rotations, checking them against the commentariat*

Hmm...so far so good...though question--the second I hit five stacks, I tend to blast off a Steel Cyclone or an Inner Beast (unless the ST is near-dead anyway). Am I "doing it wrong scrublord noobkid lrn 2 play"?

That's perfectly fine. Some fights you need to save your wrath stacks for a perfect inner beast or steel cyclone though, since Warriors can't really rotate cooldowns like a pally can. For normal fights though it shouldn't be an issue.

When I'm playing WAR I tend to bounce targets a lot to keep an eye on enmity. My typical opening goes like this:

Tomahawk

Overpower

Overpower

Flash

Start 1-2-3 rotation on main target

Since 2 & 3 are so good at building enmity vs Overpower I like to cycle them through my other targets as well. So I'll hit 1 then tab to the next one and if it's appropriate drop 2 on them then go to the next one and if it's appropriate drop 3 on them.

By the time I've gone through that cycle and hit Vengeance (which is so goddamn useful you guys it's amazing) I'm ready for a Steel Cyclone and repeat.

I'll typically do Tom/Provoke/Tom myself because I tend to be super TP conservative for moments like these.

And yeah, I don't think tanking is for me in this game. I do like to play fast and loose but I like weird mechanics. Like, when I realized that I finally got blind on my Flash for GLA I was like "SWEET MERCIFUL DAMAGE MITIGATION THROUGH STATUS EFFECTS WHAAAAA THAT'S SO COOL!" when I know fully well that's not how it plays. So far, none of the tank classes have that, although PLD seems more structured. I might dip my hand in there eventually but I fear I'll have to have a boring Cross-Class loadout because half of the cool shit you'd want will be covered by the Healer anyway.

I hate Berserk like the plague and almost never use it. I like having access to my abilities at all times way too much for it to be reliable, and if I've learned something in this game is that relying on others is just the best way to be disappointed.

I guess I also exaggerate how much I lose threat on stuff too - I typically run OT on Syrcus because while I still lose threat sometimes, I'd still like to think I'm useful on 2nd/3rd pull on the adds.

but then again I am ass at this game so w/e.

Bla bla random tank stuff jumping in here..

There are two main ways multiple mobs are killed that means you have to adjust how you tank.

1. Sequential - DPS kill them sinple target style in the order you mark

• DPS kill in a random order - So you need to mark the kill order
  • Healers pull hate from all engaged mobs - so you still need a few Flash/Overpower in there
  • Alternatively you can spread your rotation across the mobs, using the highest hate blows for the mod that you are fighting the DPS on

2. Parallel - DPS AoE all the mobs down

• DPS and Healers get hate on all mobs - so you need to maintain hate on all mobs with Flash/Overpower and spreading any rotation
  • You have to dodge mob aoe attacks, and make sure to gather them up

3. It has to be complicated - You get a single target dps and an aoe dps and a hate creating healer

• Best to mark the first kill for the single target DPS as you will have to put rotations into this
  • Best to blow several Flash/Overpower to grab sufficiently the rest of the mobs
  • And that WHM doing Holy.. just hang in there and get your provokes ready

Now for some insights that might help you sleep at night, when you loose aggro

• DPS have ways to stop getting hate, skills, switching targets, stopping to press buttons and the ultimate hate dump = death.
  • Most dead party members who pulled hate didn't stop their hate generation, and even if you had tried to get it back you would likely loose hate to the dpsing WHM from the other mobs.

• When the party plays on the limits then stuff is going to come loose and that is okay. The aim is to not wipe more than it is to not have deaths. So be a big picture tanker and let a few eggs break.
  • Most problem causes generally end up with a symptom at the tank end. So even though it might seem your fault it is likely this occurred some place else.. missed heals, slow dps, stupid pet etc..

Just some random thoughts from a life in the Tank lane by someone who is a psycho DPSer at heart.

Bla bla random tank stuff jumping in here..

There are two main ways multiple mobs are killed that means you have to adjust how you tank.

1. Sequential - DPS kill them sinple target style in the order you mark

• DPS kill in a random order - So you need to mark the kill order
  • Healers pull hate from all engaged mobs - so you still need a few Flash/Overpower in there
  • Alternatively you can spread your rotation across the mobs, using the highest hate blows for the mod that you are fighting the DPS on

2. Parallel - DPS AoE all the mobs down

• DPS and Healers get hate on all mobs - so you need to maintain hate on all mobs with Flash/Overpower and spreading any rotation
  • You have to dodge mob aoe attacks, and make sure to gather them up

3. It has to be complicated - You get a single target dps and an aoe dps and a hate creating healer

• Best to mark the first kill for the single target DPS as you will have to put rotations into this
  • Best to blow several Flash/Overpower to grab sufficiently the rest of the mobs
  • And that WHM doing Holy.. just hang in there and get your provokes ready

Now for some insights that might help you sleep at night, when you loose aggro

• DPS have ways to stop getting hate, skills, switching targets, stopping to press buttons and the ultimate hate dump = death.
  • Most dead party members who pulled hate didn't stop their hate generation, and even if you had tried to get it back you would likely loose hate to the dpsing WHM from the other mobs.

• When the party plays on the limits then stuff is going to come loose and that is okay. The aim is to not wipe more than it is to not have deaths. So be a big picture tanker and let a few eggs break.
  • Most problem causes generally end up with a symptom at the tank end. So even though it might seem your fault it is likely this occurred some place else.. missed heals, slow dps, stupid pet etc..

Just some random thoughts from a life in the Tank lane by someone who is a psycho DPSer at heart.

Alternative: Pld use flash until mana is gone

War use bloodbath + beserk + steel cyclone then overpower 2-3 times

No mob will ever get away,

Fucking. RNGeebus. Can suck my (insert expletive here).

Seriously? I have high quality maxed out food buff, high quality everything from materia melded equipment to HQ equipment itself and the class weapon, and you STILL fail me -5 times in a (*Y$)*IR row- for Hasty Touch.

I don't have quite this level of gear on my crafting classes on my main, but I suffer the same frustration while trying to make stuff. ESPECIALLY for those Ixal dailies where you suddenly have, like, 50 CP to work with. :frustrated:

I actually just started ignoring those completely.

They're not so bad, since you can retry as often as you like. The NPC will keep handing you more material to screw up.

Just abuse hasty touch, it will work eventually lol.

*rolls around on the floor and just whines*

*Applies hasty touch to Lilithium*

*uses Rapid Synthesis on Eva*

Ixal stuff isn't too bad if you have any 1 crafter at 50 with some melds. And if you don't and can't RNG your way through by force, just use the quests from a rep tier lower to keep raising rep and getting easy crafting exp. It's not that much less!

Edit:

ESPECIALLY for those Ixal dailies where you suddenly have, like, 50 CP to work with. :frustrated:

Make sure you don't have 2 different debuffs applied; at the 2 final tiers you can end up with some crafts requiring no cross-class and some with lessened CP. Just right-click away the debuff when you finish crafting 1 quest item and before you begin another.

Healers with 5k HP who don't DPS i70 dungeons. Melee who use limit break under 5% of a boss. Mages who don't use limit break if there's no melee. Dying to landslide as a result of lag and no one believing me when I call it out.

Healers who complain if I mass-pull low-gear content. Anyone who doesn't use cooldowns. Obnoxious chat macros.

Paladins who complain about everyone else.

All of theeeeeeeeeeeese. Warren invades my mind.

Seriously though, I have a vicious, pet peeve, hate for people who macro skills for no good reason. I mean okay, resurrections are good to know... bard songs/Battle Voice are also a handy indicator for Requiem in particular... not so much Mage Ballad(unless you're looking for a pat on the back for playing your job correctly!).

What else....

Hallowed Ground is totally unnecessary as far as I know. If your health gets dangerously low and the healer is a bit late then they're not just going to give up and not try to heal you before you very, clearly die, they don't need the warning that they still have ten seconds to heal you!

Silences..... we don't need to know you have silenced a damn boss unless it's some coil content or whatever that has a rotation and you're with randoms! >O<

I suppose this is a controversial one but I don't wholly understand the need to alert people to a Provoke either @A@  Who does that help? Any DPS should know to stop if they get aggro anyways unless that was for any reason in their plan for whatever content there is out there(and even then they'd be smart enough to know when to stop) and a healer isn't going to risk anything by not healing either!

*rabble*  *rabble*  *rabble*

Perhaps my moodiness is showing just a bit!

I don't like people who don't say hi back when I say it during a pug.

You know who you are.

Watch your back.

Yes, oh my God. I don't want to start a relationship with you people, but Jesus Christ say "hello" and "goodbye" to your party members at the very least. It's common courtesy.