The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

I am either a suddenly awful(er) tank or am well behind the leveling curve, because the past few times I've run Neverreap and Fractal I can barely keep the threat sweater from completely unraveling off of me.

Get into dungeons for Esos. Get outclassed because not wearing Esos while in dungeons.

I cry evry teim.

I am either a suddenly awful(er) tank or am well behind the leveling curve, because the past few times I've run Neverreap and Fractal I can barely keep the threat sweater from completely unraveling off of me.

Get into dungeons for Esos. Get outclassed because not wearing Esos while in dungeons.

I cry evry teim.

What ilvl are you rocking with what weapon? Keep in mind people are now usually using i190 weapons with i180 pieces or i190 or a couple esoterics. I run expert with the i180 axe with average i173 and the only time I lose a mob it's because it's one of the popping out type mobs that goes to the healer or the ranged that let loose as I was grouping. But I typically get those back with a provoke or an Overpower.

Well, I was hoping to perhaps burn my Esoterics on a weppin by the beginning of next week, but it would appear that I will have to get a Law weppin before then even though it'll be replaced in about two days. :/

Or....I'll be stubborn, screw the meta and stick with the plan.

Frustration battles principles in the FIGHT OF THE CENTURY!!

To answer the question...."only" 167 with 160 a weppin, as a result of said above plan

I made the mistake of queuing as a healer for my high level roulette the other day and had to deal with probably the worst healing experience I'd ever had, in a Lost City of Amdapor.

Initially the tank pulled WAY too many enemies, like the first three pulls all at once, and our DPS were a ninja and a dragoon- not exactly the bastion of AoE DPS that could warrant such enormous pulls. They were also just barely geared enough to get in. The DPS both kept standing in all the AoEs, too.

Then when we got to Diabolos the tank suggested we burn the boss and ignore the mechanics. I was like ... what? He thought we could take "at least three" of Diabolos's big attack that you're supposed to avoid with the matching doors. I was like "We might, but I don't think the DPS can". He insisted he'd never done the boss with the mechanics and so they ignored the mechanics. Afterwards he was like "What went wrong" and I pointed out our DPS were mostly in whites and didn't even have level 50 weapons and he was like "oh I didn't even look" ???

I asked the tank if he'd just never run this dungeon with anything but 130+ people, since he said he'd never done this boss following the mechanics, and he was like "basically"

The previous time I ran a Lost City, weeks before- again, for the roulette- we had two people new to the dungeon and the tank just ran RIGHT INTO Diabolos without explaining the mechanics, or giving me time to. Didn't even do a ready check. We wiped and I gave him a piece of my mind.

I haven't queued as a healer for any of my roulettes since then. u_U; Something about Lost City... I love the dungeon itself but I always have a bad time in it if I'm not running it with friends.

Bismarck HM is the new Steps of Faith of Trials Roulette.

Just why. Fucking why.

Just.

Jesus Christ.

I've come to dread it when it ends up being my daily duty. I quite enjoy the fight itself - it's really cool - but if even one person screws up it's possible for everybody else to end up wiping.

All I want to know is why when I want to level Summoner on my main, I always get lag in Dungeons. I hate hitting Aetherflow only to not get my stacks for about three GCD. >.<

Why the hell is this always come back to being a problem. It feels like playing monk back in 2.1 where the lag never let you change stances those killing the whole point of the job. I hope it's just a one day problem but I really hate when duty finder lag happens.

Also like others have said... **** Bismarch HM. I don't mind the fight but for the love of god if you have no idea what you are meant to do just ask.

I see people saying Bismarck HM is a pain. . .

DONT EVEN TRY EX! Second phase snake adds can drop a 14k health bar in under 10 seconds if the healer isn't alert enough.

That fight stresses out all jobs, the tanks, the healers, the dps. ALL OF EM!

/SOBS

DONT EVEN TRY EX! Second phase snake adds can drop a 14k health bar in under 10 seconds if the healer isn't alert enough.

/SOBS

Yeah nah.

At least in Bismarck Ex you know you are getting people who are level 60, and who know they are supposed to perform on a consistently high level, especially with pugs (even if they sometimes don't).

Bismarck HM through trials roulette? Same problem with Steps of Faith pre-nerf. You'll get new people, impatient veterans, people who ignore mechanics, people who don't understand the mechanics, and DPS that may or may not average sub 200 dps. It's a veritable recipe for disaster, and - even though the fight is far easier than EX in theory - if you don't get extremely lucky and land in a decent group, you can expect to wipe. Probably more than once.

/SOBS

Yeah nah.

At least in Bismarck Ex you know you are getting people who are level 60, and who know they are supposed to perform on a consistently high level, especially with pugs (even if they sometimes don't).

Bismarck HM through trials roulette? Same problem with Steps of Faith pre-nerf. You'll get new people, impatient veterans, people who ignore mechanics, people who don't understand the mechanics, and DPS that may or may not average sub 200 dps. It's a veritable recipe for disaster, and - even though the fight is far easier than EX in theory - if you don't get extremely lucky and land in a decent group, you can expect to wipe. Probably more than once.

You get the same type of groups in Ex. Except in Ex it's worse because people are more likely to quit or point fingers and such cause unlike HM roulette there's no tome bonus at the end. So people have nothing to wait around for and wipe non stop.

/SOBS

Yeah nah.

You get the same type of groups in Ex. Except in Ex it's worse because people are more likely to quit or point fingers and such cause unlike HM roulette there's no tome bonus at the end. So people have nothing to wait around for and wipe non stop.

I'd say both of you are right from my experiences. Bismarck is one of those shitty trials that people think they can go into and not pull their weight and then 'lo and behold get utterly amazed when things fall through. But it's never -their- fault, oh no. I did a run to help another FC once and had to quit due to exhaustion because we were simply not getting anywhere. I wish I had my parser on while it was happening, because I could swear their DPS was indeed sub 200. My own fault from the fight was that I was tired as well and since I was having a hard time healing with the other healer, it was just an all around stressful event and by the end my own abilities were slipshod at best.

My leveling roulette yesterday plopped my DRK into Brayflox NM.

Fun!

Except other than the "/say Hi" the BRD never said anything -and- they pulled more than once without my consent (even a boss). Not to mention, even through numerous times we posted, he would keep play Mage's Ballad. "you should only play Mage's Ballad if the healer is low" WHM: "I'm pretty good with MP consumption" "So you shouldn't play Mage's Ballad at all"

Nope, kept playing it. Also would stand aimlessly for long periods of time without a word.

Just slight annoyance really. Especially with a trigger happy blm.

'lol go watch a video'

So! This may be preaching to the choir but it's well worth noting that different people absorb information in different ways. Whilst some people can soak up information simply by watching a video on Youtube other people prefer to read a detailed summary written in a blog instead.

Then there's yet other people who learn best through actual first hand experience in-game. I'd like to think that I'm very good at adapting and learning from my mistakes - but I need first hand experience before I can reliably succeed at a task. Watching a video or reading a blog just doesn't work for me.

Sometimes it does - for the more simplistic content, that is - but for the more complex stuff out there? Nope!

I'm curious as to how many other people here are in a similar position.

'lol go watch a video'

So! This may be preaching to the choir but it's well worth noting that different people absorb information in different ways. Whilst some people can soak up information simply by watching a video on Youtube other people prefer to read a detailed summary written in a blog instead.

Then there's yet other people who learn best through actual first hand experience in-game. I'd like to think that I'm very good at adapting and learning from my mistakes - but I need first hand experience before I can reliably succeed at a task. Watching a video or reading a blog just doesn't work for me.

Sometimes it does - for the more simplistic content, that is - but for the more complex stuff out there? Nope!

I'm curious as to how many other people here are in a similar position.

This is me. I can watch every variety of video on an instance until I am blue in the face but the mechanics of the fights make zero sense to me until I actually am doing them. I remember for T7 in coil I watched both Mr. Happy and MTQCapture's videos over and over and over and all it sounded like to me was "blah blah blah, hide, blah blah blah, move quickly...." and that is how all videos sound to me. They teach me nothing no matter how many times I repeatedly watch. I need to experience the mechanics (OMG that's so insane right?! Like how we used to do in games before the interwebs took over) and actually learn.

Sadly, most players in this game have no patience for my style and thus, why the PF is as ridiculous as it is today. "Must have ilv 1 million gear, parsed DPS of 1800, and have cleared at least 2/3 of the fight. KNOW THE FIGHT OR GET SHAME-KICKED!"

And that is the super kewl way to play the game and surely how the SE developers intended. :thumbsup:

Grind-crafting is such a losing policy right now and it irritates me since I'm a level and a half away from 60. Adamantite ore is 2k apiece, you need 5 for one nugget, along with a Darksteel Ore (1.2k-ish) and five Fire Crystals (100 each). The nugget is currently selling for 9k. So, in bulk, you're losing over around 2.5k gil per nugget you make, if someone doesn't undercut the market even more. Doesn't sound like much, until you realize you're losing about a quarter mil on a full stack - if every one succeeds. If it fails? Welp, you've burned away 12k gold on that failed nugget.

Wee.

Grind-crafting is such a losing policy right now and it irritates me since I'm a level and a half away from 60. Adamantite ore is 2k apiece, you need 5 for one nugget, along with a Darksteel Ore (1.2k-ish) and five Fire Crystals (100 each). The nugget is currently selling for 9k. So, in bulk, you're losing over around 2.5k gil per nugget you make, if someone doesn't undercut the market even more. Doesn't sound like much, until you realize you're losing about a quarter mil on a full stack - if every one succeeds. If it fails? Welp, you've burned away 12k gold on that failed nugget.

Wee.

With Adamantite, the price remains high because Miners have to harvest it as a collectible to get Red Scrips, which means less of the ore is hitting the market, and thus the price hovers around that 2k point right now.

Thing is, almost no other ore from the expansion areas is profitable at all. Darksteel and Gold - regular old gold - ores are constantly selling at higher prices than Titanium and Hardsilver ores.

Lately, I've made MORE gil selling the skins that my BRD and MNK retainers are bringing me than I have selling actual ores.

The market and the apparent lack of demand or any real need for 90% of the stuff that 50+ gatherers can harvest are problems for both gatherers and crafters both.

The craft/gather grind, as both a time and money sink, is approaching levels of those crappy freemium smartphone games, and the change of Red Scrip rewards today has done very, very little to alleviate it.

This thread and most of the comments attached to it, are most of what I makes me fail to even bother logging in anymore.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3fuahu/at_what_point_is_someones_performance_unacceptable/

Yes, everyone should be trying their best but damn it, when did this game change from, oh, I don't know...a game into something akin to a work assignment. No one in this thing is my employer, spouse, or anything that resembles an authority figure. So when someone wants to lecture and yell at me about me "not parsing enough" (and yes, insert sniveling voice there....I intended it as so) it turns me off. I pay for the game. I am doing the best I can, and so are others.

If people actually knew how to offer advice rather than "You suck noob! Go git gud or kill yourself" then maybe the lower dps players would improve. But when someone approaches me (a paying damn player....my rl money going into the game) like this, I want to quit because it's ridiculous. "Yur wasting my timez!" is what I hear in reply. I get it if people are actively trolling and not even trying to win, but the difference in time needed to complete an instance from people who are trying but not superpro gamers(trademark pending) versus elite hall of fame level static players, is actually pretty damn minimal in the grand scheme. What else do you have planned in the game that is so time critical that a few extra minutes would destroy such plans? If your answer is anything besides "Not a whole lot to be honest" then maybe your time planning ought to be refigured. No one player is so important that they ought to be lecturing and scolding other DPS folks who fail to meet their precious number requirements. I've gotten so sick of seeing this phenomenon lately that it makes nauseous to even log in anymore.

"Your numbers suck. Your gear sucks. Your [insert whatever the hell you want here] sucks."

Translation: "You aren't good enough in MY book."

Well YOUR book sucks. And makes the game suck.

Just my vent. Which is what I think this thread is for. I feel better now.

TL; DR: This isn't a damn job interview. It's a video game of fake pixels and imaginary items. Get over your elite crap, lay off the less than stellar players and (god forbid) relax and have fun.

"Your numbers suck. Your gear sucks. Your [insert whatever the hell you want here] sucks."

Translation: "You aren't good enough in MY book."

Well YOUR book sucks. And makes the game suck.

I'd just straight up ignore them. The only time I really cared wholeheartedly about my "numbers" and my rotation and all that nonsense was when I was an endgame raider in WoW. You know, with the Heroic instances where you had to kill a boss in five minutes or he'd flip out and murder everyone. Outside of that? As long as stuff is dying and we're progressing without anything overly stupid going on (healer refusing to get out of Cleric Stance, NIN running off to pull, BLM solely using Ice spells), I'm fine.

If there's someone parsing a 4-man dungeon, then the only reason they should be bothering is to improve their OWN skills to aid their assumed Savage static that they're supposedly a part of. Not to get on the case of whatever random players they end up with doing some random roulette dungeon. And hell, using parsers isn't ALLOWED by the ToS if I recall - so all the more reason for them to just shut up about it.

I've been lucky enough to avoid the parse-holes (hee), but if I ever had one get on me, I'd do one of three things:

1.) Ignore them and their useless numbers.

2.) Tell them to shove it since we aren't their raid static.

3.) Initiate a votekick and, if they're being enough of a pain, report them for openly using a parser.