The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

I rarely find myself genuinely affected by people's poor attitudes and bad behaviors, but yesterday I was truly taken aback by someone. We're more than halfway through Stone Vigil NM, and so far there hasn't been a single issue, I am tanking with one healer and one DPS I know, and the last being duty finder-ed. After the first pull the other DPS (A monk) if doing really good DPS, and feeling like we have enough DPS to handler larger pulls, I pick up the pace. No wipes, no close calls even. We clear the first two bosses I believe, and are moving down the first hallway after and the only message then send it "Flynt, stop overtwitching so much, it is messing up my positionals. >.>" 

Okay, I mean it read kind of rude, but a lot can be lost without tone, so I go to type that I am trying, but the pulls are big, and when I am not dodging templates I am trying to face the enemies away and group. I am kind of new to tanking, so I know I am not perfect, but I also main dragoon, and actually pride myself on being more focused on how what I am doing affects the DPS. Half a sentence in, they drop party before I even respond. 

We never wiped.

We were moving very quickly. 

The dungeon was going /incredibly/ smooth.

A new DPS comes in seconds and we clear with ease. When we got out I sent them a tell asking why they left and that it seemed not only rude but completely bizarre. I can understand if there was constant deaths, missed mechanics, or hell even terribly slow progress. Apparently my moving too much was enough to make them want to "Tableflip". I guess I should be happy they left before causing issue, but if it really was an issue it could have been brought up before with a simple "Hey man, try pulling like this or standing like this to keep the enemies from moving too much." BAM! I learn, you're happy, friendships made and good runs achieved. I guess what bothered me the most about the whole thing is, instead of trying to work together, they chose to be rude and then leave to spite me. 

In summation: WTF

Obviously I was not there to read the exact dialogue, but was it rude because he didn't ask you and instead told you? Did he call you names? Is it because he didn't teach you how to position while criticizing?

I'm also not understanding how he left to spite you? It sounds more like he left to not get overtly upset at someone and chose instead to leave.

It wasn't the most awesome wonderful help but I am not seeing the spite and I can explain the lack of please as being curt. From what I see the player didn't send you tells about hating you or calling you names so I am trying to see why this is so awful.

Obviously I was not there to read the exact dialogue, but was it rude because he didn't ask you and instead told you? Did he call you names? Is it because he didn't teach you how to position while criticizing?

I'm also not understanding how he left to spite you? It sounds more like he left to not get overtly upset at someone and chose instead to leave.

It wasn't the most awesome wonderful help but I am not seeing the spite and I can explain the lack of please as being curt. From what I see the player didn't send you tells about hating you or calling you names so I am trying to see why this is so awful.

Because saying it with that little emote look and then dropping before the last boss and not allowing the tank to even reply is a dick move that's why. I didn't realize so much more was needed for something to simply be a dick move.

No I mean that was the only message sent, then they left. As I said, I guess I am glad they left versus going on a tirade/starting a fight. The part that bothered me I guess is that I am new at tanking, we are in a low level dungeon, and I felt like we were doing pretty well. I am more then aware that I am not the best tank, but even if that was the only issue plaguing us why not just say "Hey, can you try this vs. what you are doing." 

It didn't bother me because they were mean or being vindictive, it bothered me that in a leveling dungeon with a new tank while things are going right 90%, there is so little patience and regard for someone else they will send one curt message, then just leave. I've had my share bad/new tanks or healers, and while I can totally understand that frustration, responding like that over something so trivial just seems ridiculous. People are entitled to react however they want, but expecting complete perfection in a leveling dungeon and not addressing the problem (if there is one) early on is a level of elitism I guess I've not seen yet.

Man, yesterday was awful

First expert roulette...

Tank pulls, we clear the trash fine, tank randomly leaves...healer leaves...

Leave that group.

Second try:

Tank pulls, we clear the trash fine, tank randomly leaves...healer leaves...

Had to end up tanking my expert roulette even though I am a shit tank...

Black mage in that party just...ugh. 

Definition of THE WORST.

=~~~~=

Apparently my FC mate ended up in her expert roulette with a Tank who had a level 1 ring on?

Just...if you're gonna queue...queue with the intention of doing the dungeon you get in to...

Unless your house is on fire or there's an earthquake or something...

Hello! Tanks of Tam-Tara Deepcroft! I understand that it is a spooky place...but no need to lose all your brain cells when you get it! Sheesh. :frustrated:

Dear level 19+ Tank in level 10 gear (Yes. You read that right). WHY? Just....why? You make my brain hurt.

In addition, it didn't seem like you had Shield Lob. Now, I'm no super tank like some people, but even I know to keep my gear up to date and do my class quests! Running into walls I can handle, I do it all the time, miss a doorway and all that. Attacking the one I clearly marked [4] is another ball of twine entirely. I marked them in an order for a reason. (I was honestly just doing everything in my power to make sure it went smoothly.) Add to this that you were wearing a level 10 sword and shield...:frustrated: and you were...kinda basically useless.

Ninja and Scholar were awesome though...

No I mean that was the only message sent, then they left. As I said, I guess I am glad they left versus going on a tirade/starting a fight. The part that bothered me I guess is that I am new at tanking, we are in a low level dungeon, and I felt like we were doing pretty well. I am more then aware that I am not the best tank, but even if that was the only issue plaguing us why not just say "Hey, can you try this vs. what you are doing." 

It didn't bother me because they were mean or being vindictive, it bothered me that in a leveling dungeon with a new tank while things are going right 90%, there is so little patience and regard for someone else they will send one curt message, then just leave. I've had my share bad/new tanks or healers, and while I can totally understand that frustration, responding like that over something so trivial just seems ridiculous. People are entitled to react however they want, but expecting complete perfection in a leveling dungeon and not addressing the problem (if there is one) early on is a level of elitism I guess I've not seen yet.

Scrubby behavior is scrubby indeed. It's one thing to suggest improvements, but it's another to demand one and then quit before there's any room to see it actually followed through on.

That said, it drives me completely insane when directional DPS complain about tanks moving out of AoE, when the obvious answer is to fight the things doing the AoE, because they don't move when charging or casting and you don't miss your directionals..

Hello! Tanks of Tam-Tara Deepcroft! I understand that it is a spooky place...but no need to lose all your brain cells when you get it! Sheesh. :frustrated:

Dear level 19+ Tank in level 10 gear (Yes. You read that right). WHY? Just....why? You make my brain hurt.

In addition, it didn't seem like you had Shield Lob. Now, I'm no super tank like some people, but even I know to keep my gear up to date and do my class quests! Running into walls I can handle, I do it all the time, miss a doorway and all that. Attacking the one I clearly marked [4] is another ball of twine entirely. I marked them in an order for a reason. (I was honestly just doing everything in my power to make sure it went smoothly.) Add to this that you were wearing a level 10 sword and shield...:frustrated: and you were...kinda basically useless.

Did you get a "new player" bonus from it? I've had some pretty awful experiences in the first set of dungeons. It's generally full of people who've never played the game before, have no idea that their gear should be kind of around the level of the dungeon, and that tank, healer and DPS are roles and they should follow theirs. If I see a new player message, and I'm tanking, I'll usually notify the party that I'll be marking mobs and to follow a kill order. Sometimes offer advice if I see that the little THM thinks he can be an ice mage, or tell the ARC that spamming all his skills on a single enemy I'm tanking means it's his now. It also means I usually also have to remind the CNJ that they're a healer, and that while yes, I love that they're spamming Stone on things, they also need to keep the party alive as their priority. ...some people get this. Others have no idea. Sometimes, they'll get sassy, but other times, I get some thankyous. Or I'll let them know where they can find some newer gear to make all our lives easier. A little nudge can go far.

Trial Roulette -- Titan HM. No Poetics bonus.

Tank 1 was a PLD, had i55 Sword and Shield. (The one you get with GC seals.) Had an assortment of gear from i110 to about i125.

Tank 2 was a DRK, had i60 greatsword that drops from Ifrit HM. Highest gear at i120 (Ironworks), with an assortment of i110 (soldiery gear) and i90 (myth gear)

DPS was MNK, NIN, BLM, and BRD. Most were at least lv 59, some were at 60 with gear and weapons appropriate to their level. One was lv 53 or 54. (Can't remember which.)

Healer was a WHM and myself, an AST. We were both 60 and had gear that was at least i170. WHM had the i200 cane from Esoterics, and I had the i180 upgraded Law weapon.

The tanks could not hold aggro even if the PLD who was MT'ing was doing his rotations properly. Every other second, someone else was taking off aggro. The WHM did Medica II before every jump, and after every jump. I told them to stop doing that, and they did. Still, us healers and the DPS were taking aggro off the tanks. We wiped twice. :frustrated:

I could not understand why any of this was happening until I checked everyone's gear. I explained to the party that the tanks needed higher gear/weapons to hold hate, then the lv 53/54 DPS told me we were sync'd. Which we were, duh. I further explained that lv 50 can get gear and weapons up to i130-135 so I advised the tanks to get better gear before coming back in Titan HM. After that, everyone started leaving. :dazed:

Half an hour of my life I'll never get back.

Obviously a flaw of the game to my eyes... Can't blame the tanks here, they had the required ilvl to get in, but people were just overgeared and well...

Honestly, if you start telling people they can't play content because some folks are overgeared...

Did you get a "new player" bonus from it? I've had some pretty awful experiences in the first set of dungeons. It's generally full of people who've never played the game before, have no idea that their gear should be kind of around the level of the dungeon, and that tank, healer and DPS are roles and they should follow theirs. If I see a new player message, and I'm tanking, I'll usually notify the party that I'll be marking mobs and to follow a kill order. Sometimes offer advice if I see that the little THM thinks he can be an ice mage, or tell the ARC that spamming all his skills on a single enemy I'm tanking means it's his now. It also means I usually also have to remind the CNJ that they're a healer, and that while yes, I love that they're spamming Stone on things, they also need to keep the party alive as their priority. ...some people get this. Others have no idea. Sometimes, they'll get sassy, but other times, I get some thankyous. Or I'll let them know where they can find some newer gear to make all our lives easier. A little nudge can go far.

I did in fact try this because I do try to be a nice person :P.

I got no answer, the Scholar got no answer, and then we tried the auto translate function just in case. Still no answer. 

I honestly apologize if my rant came off as ribbing on new people, it wasn't my intention at all! We tried all methods of communication that we could think of and the tank never answered. Yes, it was a new player, but had been playing long enough for their sprout to have worn off. Again, I'm sorry if this came off as elite-y or anything *winces*.

Just a little personal vent. Directed at myself.

Dear Sahi.

For the love of the Twelve, how can you NOT have Swiftcast when you play as a WHM?! It is only now, at level 51, I realize that I'm lacking a vital spell in my arsenal on this character and I'm just left asking myself how in the WORLD I have managed to get to that level without needing Swiftcast! :frustrated:

I am utterly baffled and more than a little disappointed in myself. And my fellow healers will probably either laugh at or weep for my failure.

My poor excuse is not having played this character since around patch 2.2-2.4, judging by the few pieces of old iLevel 90 gear I have. I picked up a new character around the time Heavensward came out and only returned to my poor Miqo'te boy a short while back.

I have grown and I have learned. I promise. And I will be off to level my thaumaturge class to level 26 as to no longer be a disgrace to the WHM class. :cactuar:

After waiting almost half an hour to get into a low level dungeon for my roulette as a MCH I had the displeasure of immediately seeing the tank take his leave because he 'didn't like the dungeon'. I find that sort of attitude horrible since it screws over three other players  - two of which are DPS and will no doubt be stuck waiting around for a new tank to arrive...or they'll just have to leave themselves and queue again.

• 2 weeks later...

Going into Void Ark, we had DRK as our tank.

Once we got to the 2nd boss, out BRD realized he didn't have Grit up.

The chat went something like this;

"Dude, you don't have Grit up."

"lol I know. : D"

........Okay. So you would think "oh he'll put it up". No. He never did. I don't know much about tanking, but what I do know is that DRK use grit, and they need it. It wouldn't have been a big deal if he wasn't trying to be THE main tank of the entire raid.

When the boss splits into three, he had her pulled to the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROOM. He also never bothered to stun so our DPS was slow. We didn't kill her in time.

To say the least, we wiped.

Void Ark.

Once again, the Human Condition is the most challenging mechanic of all. :frustrated:

I was in a Void Ark on Tuesday with a tad many new people (or bad players / bad dps) that meant it dragged a long time.

First boss goes down after a long time (how many times you have to deal with the stupid adds).

Fan room had a lot of knots not being prioritized.

Sawtooth saw 2 invulnerable phases and a wipe.

Chuch saw a wipe at -Towers-. One exploded in my face where I died after being DoTted to death after the explosion almost killed me.

Last boss saw a wipe because a tank died (so many in that one alliance did not turn from petrifaction) and lots of people running away from the stack trying to save them.

Normal Human problems.