The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

Is it that big of a misstep though? If I've got regen on, I just run into aggro instead of Lobbing first. Things target me, then target the healer, and by then I've already used Flash and Circle of Scorn to take back the meager bit of enmity established. Overpower would presumably work as well, and so does DRKspammycirclewhooshthingy.

Overpower's a finicky piece of shit of an attack that can't decide if it's a cone, a triangle or a non-euclidian geometry figure.

If you have a good alignment with them it's fine, but AIs don't give you that luxury of having pathing that makes sense. So yeah the WHM will get chewed on.

IF YOU DIDN'T WANNA GET CHEWED ON, DON'T DUNGEON. (unless you get hit with a tank buster in which case I'm so, so sorry ;.; )

Speaking of pathing, you know that tortoise/caterpillar trash mob immediately after fighting the first boss of Saint Mocianne's Arboretum? I defy any person to get that Tortoise to line up properly for an Overpower or for the sake of Raw Intuition. Every time I try to get all 3 in a convex in front of me, that Tortoise seems to be nudged by gravitational forces or the hands of some cruel god to my flank.

That tortoise is why I don't use Raw Intuition on that pull.

Also regarding the Arbortoreum, but for differing reason...

Dear healer, as much as you want to apparently talk on the phone and chat with our SMN about drinking in text chat... please at least do your job so I'm not having to burn Holmgang on trash pulls. Furthermore, when I mention the lack of healing, the proper response is to apologize - not "you're a Warrior, you can heal yourself."

Which, while true, is something I only have so much of - especially when your obliviousness aggros more mobs for me to pull off you and tank. So please do your job and save the banter for when I'm above 25% HP. Preferably 75%, 90% if you're feeling feisty. Otherwise, just don't queue - I need a healer that will heal, not letting me die on the second boss because you, and I quote "dnt pay att."

Thank you.

World of Darkness seems to attract all kinds I feel... From the tank who had no intention of main tanking, yet kept themselves in Shield Oath the entire time and nearly killed the entire raid several times because they swung the boss around to do a huge AOE. To another tank who was legitimately PISSED that anyone would want to main tank as if it was their Yoshi-P given right to do so. To healers who weren't really very good but then turned around to bitch about where I put my pets in the last boss (on heel) and fettering Cerberus 'too early'.

Good experience from 50-53, but I'm not sure it's worth it anymore honestly. :dodgy:

I will confess to having been one of the people who would get cranky (but never enough to bitch someone out in party) about fettering Cerb very quickly. He gives you a solid several seconds to just wail on him without fear of reprisals or raid damage, and ending it early always seemed weird to me.

Coordination difficulties between what are essentially 24 random players of disparate skill levels. In such a scenario and in such an environment, the "safe" option is almost always preferable to the "efficient/optimal" option. It's not as though World of Darkness is cutting-edge progression where you need to eke out every point of damage possible in a certain time frame.

tl;dr: unrestrained doggy scary doggy, will wipe bads for food.

What sort of tank goes into an MSQ-required dungeon run, sees "one or more players is new to this duty", sees that his party members (including the healer) are below level sync and undergeared...

...then makes HUGE speedrun pulls??

I swear, I know I'm not the best dragoon (I live up to all the stereotypes about standing in AoE's and falling off cliffs haha) but I could hardly get a skill in edgeways for how many AoE's were stacked under the huge trash pulls he was making. The healer was constantly OOM, the bard was constantly switching between TP and MP songs because we were ALL constantly out, and the tank wouldn't even wait until we finished one pull before running on and fetching the next. He just. Kept. Pulling.

And then he pulled the last boss during the cinematic, because of course he did... >_>

Like, I guess he wasn't an ASSHOLE, and we did clear. But it was still stressful and a bit of a wtf.

I have had a MSQ run with a heal that was just the worst. Guy ran ahead of tanks because "lol it's MSQ chill mate", started pulling everything, stressing the tanks out, then of course since we both were WhM we are obviously the best DPS class for that so HolyHolyHoly, which means the tanks can't get the aggro back...

I stopped healing him after 2 times he did it. And he kept doing it all along, dying half of the time. After a while asking him to stop and being answered "you salty mate? lol" everyone just let him do his thing and die every time...

And eventually messing with Livia's mechanics and killing all the mortars...

Markers and stuff kind of bug me when I'm dpsing cause I hate the feeling of the tank thinking I'm so stupid I need to be directed what to attack. 

:|... I think you might be reading into marks too much. I mark for efficiency, not stupidity. If the whole group immediately knows what to start focusing first then things die faster. It also makes it easier for me when the whole party is attacking my first target. Nothing annoys me more than when I Shield Lob a mob (always marked 1) as I'm running toward its group, and before I'm even in range to Flash, some dingus is going crazy on a different mob. Plus I like to do my RoH debuff rotation on difficult mobs around me, and the marks help me keep track of that.

If I have a heavy AoE group I don't bother marking, everything's going to die so fast anyway! :D

That moment when you finally get into a fucking dungeon. So you can get swiftcast because apparently it's Provoke levels of important. 

But whoop de fucking do you get dc'd.

And worse. 

Every.

Time.

You try to relog. 

Hell even just reconnect to the server.

You're smacked with every Lobby server connection error.

Ever.

I get when tanks want to speedrun. And generally I'm fine with that.

But when a tank speedruns to the point they pull trash after trash back to back without letting their TP regen, then can't do anything, and everything leaps on the healer or BLM as a result. Well.

I can't even.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running Stone Vigil because I gotta do it for MSQ progression on Kana. Everything was mostly fine and we were pushing on pretty strong until we got to the dragon boss......

That was very specific....The dragon boss that has the canons and tornadoes, yeah, that one!

Our BLM was dealing with the cannons and doing a pretty good job of staying on top of that. Our BLM dies because the healer was neglecting to heal them while they had a DoT debuff active. To try and keep things going, I run to take care of cannons (because that healer was not moving). I die because I wasn't healed and I didn't get to the cannon in time.

While the healer and tank are still active I made the comment, "At this level, I think the healer can rez during a fight". They didn't answer and who knows, maybe i'm wrong. We wipe and once I respawn, I see that our healer is gone.

>_>

<_<

Okay, maybe it was a blessing that they left, but that didn't make me any less irritated. It takes a few minutes, but we eventually get an AST and everything went smoothly.

-snip-

Healers can definitely raise during battle by then, but the same issues would probably have continued with the initial healer. Chances are, their gear and possibly playstyle just wasn't good enough to keep up with the dungeon, which hits pretty hard. WHMs definitely get an advantage in that they can do their big bursty heals and use esuna on the debuffs, while being -used- to using esuna on debuffs. SCH gets leeches at......40? It's completely possible that if you had a SCH, they may not have been up to date on their class quests, mixed with everything else.

As for the dragon, do you remember where the tank was tanking it? I like to pull it right to the door, since the tornadoes rarely move there. Helps take some of the edge off for the healer.

-snip-

Healers can definitely raise during battle by then, but the same issues would probably have continued with the initial healer. Chances are, their gear and possibly playstyle just wasn't good enough to keep up with the dungeon, which hits pretty hard. WHMs definitely get an advantage in that they can do their big bursty heals and use esuna on the debuffs, while being -used- to using esuna on debuffs. SCH gets leeches at......40? It's completely possible that if you had a SCH, they may not have been up to date on their class quests, mixed with everything else.

As for the dragon, do you remember where the tank was tanking it? I like to pull it right to the door, since the  tornadoes rarely move there. Helps take some of the edge off for the healer.

The tank had the boss at the entrance where i've seen most people place the dragon. The healer and BLM wern't as close though, so they kept getting hit by the tornadoes.

Said healer was also a WHM.

Having tanked, been killed, AND resurrected during the fight mentioned above before, I am proof that yes, yes they can. lol

When I said something no one else said anything, so I just assumed I was wrong. It had been so long since I was at that level as a healer, so I couldn't exactly remember.

Maybe they got mad because I called them out on it. *shrug*

ALSO, when they decided to DPS, they didn't use Cleric Stance. Honestly, this shouldn't bug me, but if you're going to be not so great at healing, at least be good at being somewhat of a proper DPS.

Had a ninja in lost city amdapor hm who wouldn't get out of bad, pulled things before the group was ready, wouldn't turn away from neuro squama so her clone was constantly facing me. Though the thing that really got me was when she pulled lion boss, running ahead of the group as soon as the last zombie dragon was killed. Cause she didn't want to lose her Huton. I thought about just letting her die and tell her, we'll looks like you lost Huton. But I thought better of it since I figured it would only hold up the rest of the group. Though the healer wasn't so kind, and simply stopped healing her.

On the subject of ninjas I don't understand why they follow me whenever there is a mechanic that requires you to spread to avoid over lapping damage i.e. ramuh's thundershock.

So the nightmares of CT came 'round again.

Got into a Syrcus Tower where a lazy tank would just sit at the front crystal and spam it until we all went up a floor to save him walking distance... had a LotA where everyone was blindly rushing Bone Dragon and not caring about skeletons... but the World of Darkness was the worst of the three.

First boss spun around in circles rather than kept still. Second boss runs rampant before tank finally gets aggro. Third boss no one bothers the shackle him and he eats the entire raid. Fourth boss we had to burn an LB on one of the clouds because only two DPS actually got into one quadrant. And all the while we had a BRD running around pulling early, folks hanging around behind and getting locked out, and other such delightful incidents.

Which was then followed up with a Sephirot (Trial Roulette) that was ultimately vote abandoned when we wiped twice with him around 2% because people can't apparently be bothered to avoid getting knocked over the side, moving out of the stalagmite circles, or focusing the Voice. Wee.

Fun day all around.

Since I started leveling a bit summoner, apparently i'm stumbling on the worst tanks possible... 

One in Toto-rak that was either totally drunk/wasted or... I don't know what he was. Ran into circles or in random directions, didn't wait for the team, lost track of him several times, him running back to us with huge packs of angry mobs after him... He was not a bot, he spoke on chat random garbage... Well, we kicked him, and orange carby had to do the job...

One in Haukke, tank was new and apparently not very sure what to do, never used any aggro skills nor flash, we wipe a few times on random mobs, we were trying to reach them out and be helpful, but they never actually said a single line on the party chan, totally oblivious... Eventually kicked him, and orange carby got the job again...

Yesterday I had a Lost City HM where the MNK and NIN couldn't seem to understand that the tank is supposed to pull mobs. We had a new AST who had very clearly never been in the dungeon before and the poor guy must have wanted to kill himself by the end. (He did remarkably well for forced large pulls while not being very well geared).

But it's like.....DPS. Please. I don't mark things for my health. (OK, that's literally why I mark things. I don't like dying). If I haven't run ahead because the healer's getting strained and your DPS really isn't that good, it's not an invitation to run ahead and tag all the enemies for me. We'll get to them. I promise.

Somehow, my LotA run went better, despite people mostly ignoring mechanics. We nearly had a couple wipes on bone Dragon because platinals are just too difficult I guess. Then my party had a BLM who really couldn't understand that he was supposed to stand on the platform for Atomos (we had a perfect distribution of roles, two physical, two magic DPS) and the offtank had to go run onto it. The whole time, all of our party is asking the guy to step on the pad. He was just slightly left of it. Not even up by the Atomos. Just....not on the pad. Once all the common languages and auto-translate are used, I stop feeling bad if new people can't read, respond, or show any indication that they were doing something the rest of the party was begging them not to do. He got dismissed by the rest of the group.

So, this girl was dead by the leve counter (I know right?) And she asked for a raise.

Now, normally if I was on my PLD, I could do it, but my retainer has my PLD gear and this I'm unable to raise because

A - I can't cross class it on the gear sets I have on me

B - I don't carry a conjurer wep or whatever because I'm a tank.

This girl gets revived by someone else and then says "you have a 15 conjured, please raise next time." To me, I try to tell her I couldn't but she just starts acting like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum.

I wound up saying bitch do you see a conjurer weapon on me? No. Learn how cross classes work before you start pmsing cause I didn't raise you.

Yesterday I had a Lost City HM where the MNK and NIN couldn't seem to understand that the tank is supposed to pull mobs. We had a new AST who had very clearly never been in the dungeon before and the poor guy must have wanted to kill himself by the end. (He did remarkably well for forced large pulls while not being very well geared).

A bit of old school wisdom on this one:  "You feel it's your job to pull it, then it is your job to tank it."

Any game where I have tanked while in pick-up groups and this happens, I spam the /sit skill.  Trusted friends or groups where the agreement is made is really my only exception.

Props to that AST though, I'm slowly learning to play WHM and healing is certainly a whole another animal when you don't know the dungeon from that role.

A bit of old school wisdom on this one:  "You feel it's your job to pull it, then it is your job to tank it."

Any game where I have tanked while in pick-up groups and this happens, I spam the /sit skill.  Trusted friends or groups where the agreement is made is really my only exception.

Props to that AST though, I'm slowly learning to play WHM and healing is certainly a whole another animal when you don't know the dungeon from that role.

If I had been feeling more spiteful, I'd have let them keep the mobs and wipe. (It helped that I hadn't really played the game in three weeks! Even the most boring of content felt new again.)

The AST did an amazing job given what they had to work with and we only suffered a few deaths. They got my commendation at least.