The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

Thanks for the little bits of technical help guys!

I guess I don't run into much pet stuff so I'm fine with 2 cross bars for..well nearly anything.

I.E. WAR Kurt has Crossbar 1 with Defiance related stuff. Crossbar 2 has Deliverance related stuff with nearly identical layout save for like, Defiance is now Deliverance and switch. 

Well looks like I've got a lot of getting used to and setting up to do...on Allene.  

I have never felt so incompetent in a long time and it's exciting me a little :3

I guess I don't run into much pet stuff so I'm fine with 2 cross bars for..well nearly anything.

I.E. WAR Kurt has Crossbar 1 with Defiance related stuff. Crossbar 2 has Deliverance related stuff with nearly identical layout save for like, Defiance is now Deliverance and switch. 

Well looks like I've got a lot of getting used to and setting up to do...on Allene.  

I have never felt so incompetent in a long time and it's exciting me a little :3

If you don't have them enabled, I cannot stress enough how fantastic the expanded bar options are. If that's what you're talking about, ignore me entirely and keep on keeping on!

Expanded options let you access 32 buttons from "one" crossbar display. I find it really helpful to have my attack options all on face buttons (because directional buttons with movement don't play well or comfortably) so having L+ABXY, R+ABXY, L>R+ABXY and R>L-ABXY puts a lot of convenient buttons at my fingertips.

If you don't have them enabled, I cannot stress enough how fantastic the expanded bar options are. If that's what you're talking about, ignore me entirely and keep on keeping on!

Expanded options let you access 32 buttons from "one" crossbar display. I find it really helpful to have my attack options all on face buttons (because directional buttons with movement don't play well or comfortably) so having L+ABXY, R+ABXY, L>R+ABXY and R>L-ABXY puts a lot of convenient buttons at my fingertips.

I actually do a bit of the opposite. I put all my cooldowns and mark macros (when needed) onto the expanded crossbars. Then, skill chains are set up on the front-facing bar arranged so that I can easily do my 1-2-3 combo and for directional-based attacks, I know where to stand based on the button. ...I've blasted through a few dualshock triggers so far, but the layout's worked so well for me that I can't not look at the crossbar to know where my skills are.

Scholars do have a cleanse but it's on one of the fairies...I believe it's a full party cleanse on a cooldown. So you got to use control in order to use it when you need it. 

Just to cover this as well - Selene is the one with the AoE cleanse. It was added when they combined the attack and spell speed buffs into one move. She can be very Eos-y with it too if not controlled, popping it the moment anyone has a debuff - cleansible or not. Otherwise she ain't too bad.

I'm not the best SCH out there, but I can always try giving tips.

Y'all need help with bars on a PS4 controller while I'm at the point I can type a paragraph almost as fast as a person using a keyboard with the joystick and the x button lol

Objection! Exaggeration! Taking half a dozen inputs to press one button isn't remotely as effective as even hunting/pecking with two fingers!

Yet I've never been called a slow replier.

Take that keyboard master race, you'll never take me alive!

Y'all need help with bars on a PS4 controller while I'm at the point I can type a paragraph almost as fast as a person using a keyboard with the joystick and the x button lol

Objection! Exaggeration! Taking half a dozen inputs to press one button isn't remotely as effective as even hunting/pecking with two fingers!

Hey Aaron, I got this link for you to look at in-game with that controller-typing superiority... :P

Hey Aaron, I got this link for you to look at in-game with that controller-typing superiority... :P

Nobody got time for that

Nobody got time for that

Me: "Yeah i'm on PS4, so I can't just copy and paste links....."

FC member literally a day later: "Hey Nagi! Look at this, (Insert stupidly long link here)"

Me: >_>

Nobody got time for that

Me: "Yeah i'm on PS4, so I can't just copy and paste links....."

FC member literally a day later: "Hey Nagi! Look at this, (Insert stupidly long link here)"

Me: >_>

Shortened links or bust. ...or skype or discord. Or whatever the kids are using on the interwebs today.

Dear healer,

If you die 10 seconds into the of Aetherochemical's double boss, and you managed to get petrified, stand in shit and do a shit job of healing, yes, we do get to make fun of you. Take it on the chin and get good. You weren't even new.

Generally speaking: If you fuck up and cause a wipe, own it. Don't try to get all sanctimonious because you can't run out of a red circle.

Dear my timezone, body clock, and fatigue

t(ouo t) fuck you for screwing me out of RP 80% of the time.

Sincerely,

Me.

In game related.

Dear me, 

Just because you put Eos/Selene on obey doesn't mean you forget you have a pet bar in the first place. Nor does that give you right to be in cleric stance throughout the whole dungeon (again) and not notice it, thinking you're a SMN Tank.

Sincerely,

Me.

Until today, I wasn't aware that harassing your tank into mass pulling in low level dungeons was a thing.

It really depends on the dungeons themselves. It's possible and preferrable in the super-lower ones, but Halatali's a bit rougher due to AoE and TP limits on classes. Toto-Rak and Haukke are both okay due to gating, but Brayflox and Stone Vigil get rough again. Cutter's Cry gates itself off really well, too.

If I had a nickel for every time I was told to "pull big" and then died ten seconds after settling, I'd have probably a lot of nickels.

Until today, I wasn't aware that harassing your tank into mass pulling in low level dungeons was a thing.

It really depends on the dungeons themselves. It's possible and preferrable in the super-lower ones, but Halatali's a bit rougher due to AoE and TP limits on classes. Toto-Rak and Haukke are both okay due to gating, but Brayflox and Stone Vigil get rough again. Cutter's Cry gates itself off really well, too.

If I had a nickel for every time I was told to "pull big" and then died ten seconds after settling, I'd have probably a lot of nickels.

Also, being the Tank means never having to take crap from the rest of the party, in a dungeon.

They don't like it? Let 'em drop. You're the tank. You'll have your party rebuilt while they're sitting in the re-queue. If they insist on pulling everything and bringing it to you at their pace, not yours, let 'em die, and tell them you're doing so. If they don't like it, you got a bad party, so why tolerate it?

Also, being the Tank means never having to take crap from the rest of the party, in a dungeon.

They don't like it? Let 'em drop. You're the tank. You'll have your party rebuilt while they're sitting in the re-queue. If they insist on pulling everything and bringing it to you at their pace, not yours, let 'em die, and tell them you're doing so. If they don't like it, you got a bad party, so why tolerate it?

Tank privilege, baby. It's the unique sort of MMO miscommunication that causes all of these problems. Want a tank to go faster? Ask him first. Most tanks see people who "help" pull as unspoken criticism. I've had a number of situations where an archer (it's always an archer!) who runs ahead in low dungeons and just goes berserk on a target, which gives GLD/PLD an interesting and unfun dilemma:

Try to race threat on the monster getting lit up by arrows and risk losing the rest of the pack since we only got to flash once? Or let the archer get chewed on because pre-Rage of Halone it's impossible to match an archer burning cooldowns if they start before you do?

Bad analogy time: It's like waiting an hour to get into a crowded restaurant, and then going into the kitchen yourself to get your food because service is bad.

Maybe i'm cruel but when I see that as a heal I like letting them die. I usually /upset at them the first time, then stop healing them altogether, while asking gently if they can let the tank pull.

Sometimes you get answered "it's a low level dungeon, chill", which is the most infuriating thing ever. Low level or not, they are making your job unfun and super annoying for the sake of their little whims.

There's definitely peen involved. The truth of it is that in low-level dungeons, your tank is your weakest point. They're not needed in the first three, you don't need one in Halatali if you do pulls one at a time, you don't need one in Toto-Rak, and you don't need one in Haukke. Any physical DPS class is going to be able to do the job. People pulling and going balls-deep on something just reinforces it.

Sometimes I just also wish they synced items in low level dungeons...

Honestly with the power creep going on we already see teams where an overgeared DPS will always keep the aggro no matter what, against low level tanks.