The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

Run in Sohm Al, stumbled on a WhM that was here for the first time. Doesn't use Shroud, spamms cure II (except when he really has to), spamms medica II even before fights or at the end (that aggro generation yo), goes out of MP... And just generally can't heal properly for shit, even on small packs.

Tried to ask if he was using Shroud two times. No answer, but otherwise the guy was talking. I really hate people that ignore you whenever you start giving advice or asking if they forgot doing something, when it's obvious that they are shit at playing their class and it boggles the mind that they got that far doing mistakes you only do at lvl 30-40...

Really salty about players that are bad, not because they are bad, but because they plug their ears and play ostriches and hope the people in party will get bored of asking and that it will end soon.

In contrast, I stumbled on a tank in the Aery that was taking every advice we gave him, and tried to apply asap after. That was nice, he got lots of comms.

Yeah, god. I've said before - I'll take a thousand runs with genuine leaflings that are willing to listen, over one run with a guy who doesn't know what they're doing and won't listen.

You can fix a lack of knowledge, by teaching and learning. You can't fix an attitude problem.

Yeah, god. I've said before - I'll take a thousand runs with genuine leaflings that are willing to listen, over one run with a guy who doesn't know what they're doing and won't listen.

You can fix a lack of knowledge, by teaching and learning. You can't fix an attitude problem.

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge, stupidity is the rejection of it. And you can't fix stupid.

Because running through the whole thing again is totally a better option than doing Ozma a second time. Though, part of me wonders if they're actually just being super-selfish and the drop for the week they want is off one of the previous bosses. I'd hope not, but you never know with some people. :(

Belated rant but...

If you want to "full clear for XP," don't follow it up by immediately half-assing it and ninja AFKing repeatedly.

So, I got Aurum Vale for my Mentor roulette (Yay. :|) two days ago. This was after bailing on (and waiting on the cooldown timer for) a Ramuh EX where we continually wiped in the first phase for about fifteen minutes and when we finally got to the adds phase, couldn't make the DPS check. So my mood was already a bit tetchy.

Our BLM immediately requests that we kill everything because they "need all the XP I can get." DRK tank agrees since they also haven't hit 50 yet. I groan inwardly, but figured I could hunker down and get it done to help the folks out. I add that we'll get extra XP since I'm a Mentor, so they should hopefully get at least a level. With that, we head off.

Things get questionable when the BLM is locked out of the first boss, and I notice they're WAY over, like, four or five pulls back. I mention we locked the mage out and we ultimately end up wiping - albeit barely - due to lack of DPS. BLM comes back near the end of the wipe, saying their dog was acting up. Alright, fine.

We get the boss on the second try, but now I'm watching this sucker. During that fight, he would just stand still and eat the AoEs. Clearing to the second boss, I notice they're sticking mostly to just spamming Ice magic. And during second boss, they get hit with every Glare targeted at them - likely due to not moving.

Final straw is when we get a slightly too big pull after the second boss (that little pit area with all the mobs, pretty common mistake). Mage stands there and dies when the DRK LoS's me and he drops. Tank runs back as I kite the adds with healing aggro on me while the remaining DPS does work. BLM remains dead, doesn't respawn and teleport to the boss room not even five feet away... and ignores the reluctant rez I throw on him (as in, the timer runs out, it's not clicked off or anything). Ninja AFK'd again.

By this point we'd already cleared to about a pull before the last boss. So I initiate a votekick on the sucker and get a MCH that actually, you know, participates. Finish the run and get out of there. Something that would've been faster if we had a BLM that was not disappearing to get free XP for no work.

... Though, I don't know if that is as bad as the Trial roulette I got yesterday. Got Steps, and one of the tanks was AFK for THE ENTIRE TRIAL. Like, literally, I died due to... something or another, I don't quite remember (likely got stepped on because I was dotting and not paying attention as squishy SMN). Spawn and notice the PLD is just... standing there, looking forward to where the boss would've been at the very start. I head back in, but notice that he never moves for the remainder of the Trial either. :frustrated:

Man, I wish I could AFK for an entire roulette and get away with it.

Yesterday was getting some roulettes done with MoonMoon and had to do Darkhold for GC and story. We got a WHM who was the laziest POS I've ever come across as a healer. They let me (the tank) die during a trash pull because they were too busy in cleric stance DPSing. Let me die again during a boss fight and kept staying in cleric to DPS and would only bother healing us when we'd get down to 1/3 of our health or lower. I kept popping potions to keep myself from dying completely when I'd get as low as 50-74 HP.

I have never had a bad WHM before until last night. Bah.

Why do DRK refuse to use Dark side pre 50? Or even pre 60?

It's not difficult to keep your mp, I kept DS up the time when I leveled it. But every time I do a roulette for the tomes I get a DRK that for some reason refuses to stack DS with Grit thus they aren't holding aggro unless their spamming unleash until their mp is zero.

Do these guys realize Darkside locks about half their CDs when they don't use it?

Had an exceptionally awful Bard in AV last night. They were at-level, woefully undergeared (about 10+ levels below on all items), and I'm pretty sure the only skill they bothered to use was the first attack skill you get when you learn the class. In the first boss, they didn't cleanse the poison - they got to 5 stacks and I had to actually, you know... heal the tank... so I couldn't spam-heal them and they died. And their immediate response after they die is "Um, heals??" as if it's my fault they don't follow the damn mechanic despite the tank's pre-boss 'everyone knows this, right?' check.

(Reasonably sure that their death wasn't my fault, given everyone who actually followed mechanics stayed alive. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That comment instantly raised my healer salt meter to 9000 though.)

They did no AOE the entire dungeon, stole fruits from the tank during the final boss, and said/did absolutely nothing when given a few gentle pointers/requests from the tank and other DPS who both had max-level BRD class on their character sheets. Before the tank left they said "You are the worst bard I have ever seen" and I wholly agree.

It's not difficult to keep your mp, I kept DS up the time when I leveled it. But every time I do a roulette for the tomes I get a DRK that for some reason refuses to stack DS with Grit thus they aren't holding aggro unless their spamming unleash until their mp is zero.

Do these guys realize Darkside locks about half their CDs when they don't use it?

Th- this is actually a thing that happens? How?

I literally started leveling DRK a week ago, saw Darkside and said "Wow that's obviously really useful and important, I should always have that on." MP is easy to regen at first, and only gets easier as you level up; by Qarn you have Blood Price so if you use that it's nearly impossible to lose MP, unless you're spamming Unleash like an idiot. And even if you don't use the three skills that require DS at 50 (I think it's only three skills at that point), it still increases damage by 15%, which makes Grit usable in general. It's literally the most important thing you have in your whole arsenal, especially if you're not tanking. 

I suppose it's part of the same deal as bards who don't use Wanderer's Minuet or Machinists who don't use Gauss Barrel. I see way too much of that.

I literally started leveling DRK a week ago, saw Darkside and said "Wow that's obviously really useful and important, I should always have that on." MP is easy to regen at first, and only gets easier as you level up; by Qarn you have Blood Price so if you use that it's nearly impossible to lose MP, unless you're spamming Unleash like an idiot. And even if you don't use the three skills that require DS at 50 (I think it's only three skills at that point), it still increases damage by 15%, which makes Grit usable in general. It's literally the most important thing you have in your whole arsenal, especially if you're not tanking. 

I suppose it's part of the same deal as bards who don't use Wanderer's Minuet or Machinists who don't use Gauss Barrel. I see way too much of that.

Yes it's ridiculous.

Was in expert earlier, I'm a ilvl 220 NIN and I was ripping aggro of the DRK so much he actually started marking targets halfway through. I go "The reason you're losing aggro is because you're not doing enough damage without Dark side, please pop it."

I get the reply

"I know what I'm doing. Get off my back."

Ok... second boss of Hullbreaker I RIP aggro half the fight and he STILL runs out of mp because of unleash spam with no dark side. I'm like, DUDE JUST POP IT IT'S LIKE THE MOST IMPORTANT BUFF YOU HAVE.

Nope. I checked his character sheet and low and behold fucker hadn't even hit level 2 on either WAR or PLD but had a 60 NIN and BLM.

Needless to say my comm went to the healer. If you're going to level a DRK probably because it's 30 levels quicker to max, at least put fucking provoke in your skill set.

Yes it's ridiculous.

Was in expert earlier, I'm a ilvl 220 NIN and I was ripping aggro of the DRK so much he actually started marking targets halfway through. I go "The reason you're losing aggro is because you're not doing enough damage without Dark side, please pop it."

I get the reply

"I know what I'm doing. Get off my back."

Ok... second boss of Hullbreaker I RIP aggro half the fight and he STILL runs out of mp because of unleash spam with no dark side. I'm like, DUDE JUST POP IT IT'S LIKE THE MOST IMPORTANT BUFF YOU HAVE.

Nope. I checked his character sheet and low and behold fucker hadn't even hit level 2 on either WAR or PLD but had a 60 NIN and BLM.

Needless to say my comm went to the healer. If you're going to level a DRK probably because it's 30 levels quicker to max, at least put fucking provoke in your skill set.

Wow, I feel bad for you, most of my DRKs I get when I'm not tanking know what they're doing. Like I said, I just started getting DRK up, and since I hadn't tanked very much before I made sure to get PLD and WAR up for cross class abilities, seeing as how that's just common sense and all that. You literally can't tank properly in a lot of higher level trials and dungeons without Provoke, it's essential. I thought the worst of people not knowing how to tank that picked up DRK were long gone, but apparently not. 

And I mean, it's probably the easiest tank to learn. There's really no excuse.

I can understand the absolute distate for Minuet and Gauss Barrel - I mean, I absolute loathe those things - but if you don't want to use them, then do as I do: don't play the classes.

... Though, I don't know if that is as bad as the Trial roulette I got yesterday. Got Steps, and one of the tanks was AFK for THE ENTIRE TRIAL. Like, literally, I died due to... something or another, I don't quite remember (likely got stepped on because I was dotting and not paying attention as squishy SMN). Spawn and notice the PLD is just... standing there, looking forward to where the boss would've been at the very start. I head back in, but notice that he never moves for the remainder of the Trial either. :frustrated:

Man, I wish I could AFK for an entire roulette and get away with it.

Most tanks are douches when it comes to Steps of Faith. They are part of the reason why I hate that trial so much. They don't even bother getting aggro. You spend your time dying to one thing or another for no special reason. Especially when healing.

But then again, what are heals for anyway in such a trial. You can die and respaw all the time. Glorious mechanics design.

If you actually died for good here, maybe people would take more care of what they are doing.

I've found the "best" strat back in the day with Steps was to... well, basically have a healer as a tank. They stand up front between the boss' front legs and spam heals to get heal aggro on all the little mobs. They all run up to hit you, cannons tear them apart. Alternately, a tank can stand with them and spam Flash/Overpower/Unleash when the mobs run up and tank them while the cannons tear them apart.

This leaves the other tank and healer basically free to be on said cannons, so all the DPS can focus on the boss. This used to be the strat everyone used for a while after this pattern was figured out. However, with the advent of HW, it seems everyone has just... forgotten it. It's a shame, since it meant having the Trial done by the second barrier.

*Snip about damn AV*

AV. It's always AV. We all have AV horror stories.

My worst AV was particularly special. It began with a PLD in full AF1 gear who refused to use flash more than once. Respectfully, members of our party tried our best to give tips. She acted thankful, going on to say how other pugs treated her like shit and that everyone is so mean.

But then she didn't follow any of our advice, at all. She continued to pull way too much, refuse to use flash most of the time, and generally fail to keep mobs off of the healer. I don't remember if the PLD used Shield Oath either, but I do remember that I had to spam Physick as a BLM to supplement the healer's heals as otherwise the healer couldn't keep up.

I also remember the healer getting mad at us DPS for dying on the first boss. Because he refused to heal anyone but herself and sometimes the tank. We kept our stacks below 2, but the damage that's done up until we use morbol fruit isn't going anywhere. It was still early on in the dungeon, so I hadn't thought to use Physick yet.

Anyway, so we died, and he refused to raise us. So we ended up waiting for the PLD and (I think it was a scholar) kill the first boss. This was before the whole Vitality = Damage for tanks, so this paladin did just about as little damage as you could imagine.

The dungeon went on like that, wiping continually on mobs. We managed to get past the coincounter, but on the way to the last boss we ran out of dungeon time.

*Snip about damn AV*

AV Horror Stories, you say? Well, then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qTrgCWpLlM

Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society...

I was leveling up my MNK through dungeon runs, so naturally, I had to go through AV. We loaded in and approached the first chamber with our healer, second dps, and our PLD tank. PLD wobbled around aimlessly like something out of Twitch Plays Pokemon for a bit, then ram right up to the mobs. He didn't use shield toss, he didn't use flash. He just ran around grabbing aggro that lasts about five seconds from about three trash piles, including the first toad, then spams JUST Rage of Halone with no combo on each enemy, as if compelled to believe this will actually work. After inevitably wiping, I decided that maybe I should explain how this game actually works to him, and so I did. He attempted to do what I commanded about twice, each time dying to the mobs that we then carefully mopped up for him.

We made it to the boss, and, surprising no one, he ran up to the boss, flashed, and then RoH spammed again, but thanks to the efforts of our healer, he does not die, nor I when I inevitably pulled all the aggro off of him. 

We beat the boss, and I asked the group if we're willing to continue to try and teach this lummox who somehow made it past the Brayflox idiot wall, or if we should just kick him. Shocking all, he decided for us, and left.

Having gone through that, I never want to hear that I'm a toxic player with no patience ever again.

*Snip about damn AV*

AV Horror Stories, you say? Well, then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qTrgCWpLlM

Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society...

I was leveling up my MNK through dungeon runs, so naturally, I had to go through AV. We loaded in and approached the first chamber with our healer, second dps, and our PLD tank. PLD wobbled around aimlessly like something out of Twitch Plays Pokemon for a bit, then ram right up to the mobs. He didn't use shield toss, he didn't use flash. He just ran around grabbing aggro that lasts about five seconds from about three trash piles, including the first toad, then spams JUST Rage of Halone with no combo on each enemy, as if compelled to believe this will actually work. After inevitably wiping, I decided that maybe I should explain how this game actually works to him, and so I did. He attempted to do what I commanded about twice, each time dying to the mobs that we then carefully mopped up for him.

We made it to the boss, and, surprising no one, he ran up to the boss, flashed, and then RoH spammed again, but thanks to the efforts of our healer, he does not die, nor I when I inevitably pulled all the aggro off of him. 

We beat the boss, and I asked the group if we're willing to continue to try and teach this lummox who somehow made it past the Brayflox idiot wall, or if we should just kick him. Shocking all, he decided for us, and left.

Having gone through that, I never want to hear that I'm a toxic player with no patience ever again.

Fuck AV with a rusty pitchfork, seriously. Just yikes.

hey guys listen i've got a little personality quiz for all of you

if a baby GLD says, at the beginning of copperbell NM, that they're fairly new to tanking and apologise for any mistakes they make, do you:

A) let them make their own pulls

B) run ahead of them constantly and start DPSing before they're even within Shield Lob range

A) follow the kill order they're marking, which generally puts AoE-using mobs first, then most damaging to least damaging

B) purposefully ignore the kill order and go for whatever order you feel like, usually starting with the mob that deals least damage and has the most health

A) attack the same target as the rest of the group, because you're following kill order

B) after they give up marking a kill order, ensure every member of the group is DPSing a different target

A) run towards the tank if you're being gnawed on by something

B) stay rooted to the spot if something starts eating you or, if possible, run out of line of sight of the tank

A) when asked to correct simple mistakes, apologise and strive to improve

B) when asked to correct simple mistakes, claim you're doing it all on purpose to "teach them to be a better tank"

if you answered mostly A, you're a better group member than the ones i just partied with.

because protip: at low levels, Flash is meant to deal with the aggro gained on mobs, by the healer, through healing the tank. maybe the aggro from a few DoTs spread around. not the aggro gained on mobs by every single person in the party deciding they don't feel like sharing today and going all-out on a different goddamn monster.

like, yeah, i'm gonna struggle to keep aggro if you ignore my kill order! that's why it's there! "learn to use provoke," i hear those B-answerers out there cry - you don't get it until level 22 as GLD and copperbell syncs from 20.

jeez.

So you're a WHM, and you happen to be in a group full of new people for your Castrum Meridianum run.

Do NOT:

- Run in front of the group without the tank(s)

- Explain the cannons after they've been destroyed

- Bum around in cleric stance 90% of the time and expect the newbie WHM to heal the entire party, and you, because "I'm doing dps"

- Seriously. The guy let himself die and told me to heal/res him. More than once. Surely the dps of a WHM can't be that precious.

I just, ech. I don't know if that's supposed to be an easy trial, and he was trying to explain things at some points, but oh my god. I've never been so stressed healing anything. This was worse than the time I tried to do Titan with lag.

If you're that eager to speedrun, just drop group and hope the queue puts you with non-noobs.

Incidentally... WhM is worth 2 DPS roles easy on Meridianum, just because of holy spamm on such huge and squishy groups of mobs. I'm always top DPS by far on those runs as a WhM.

Doesn't mean you have to be a douche about it though. Most healers are cancer on Meridianum and Praetorium runs unfortunately.

I have had the pleasure to deal with similar WhM (as a WhM myself), that just thought they could just aggro everything instead of the tanks, run all around and complain when they die.