The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

Surprisingly it's happened more than once this week during roulette's and it's finally gotten to me.

That one guy who tells everyone else how to play their class and asks them why they didn't use X skill in Y instance, or at all, even though you're all over geared, running just fine, and they're spend more time typing their "tool tips" for your group instead of DPSing, Holding Aggro, or Healing.

We bitch and complain about rotations or whatnot...

but really people don't notice this shit unless:

a) it's going slower than what is their normal.

b) People die

Aka something is wrong.

If something is not wrong, people -do not care-.

edit: >slower than normal

> I should not be healing a party so long on x group that is not PULL OMG THANKS FOR WAKING ME UP I NEED TO LUSTRATE AHHHHH / OMG I WISH I HAD BENEDICTION ALLL THE MOBS?!!!???

> especially if it means I am going OOM on a very small group.

> especially as a SCH

So when you start.... the archer pulls again.

I just have an issue with DPS that pull in general. Let me grab it, let me get aggro. If you want to pull it, I'mma let you tank it. That goes for when I'm a tank AND when I'm a healer. And if I'm the latter, don't expect healing. I may be neurotic about keeping HP levels high, but I don't reward misbehavior.

I should clarify that pulling stuff accidentally is okay, though. I've done that enough while trying to get into a nice position. But if you're actively running ahead of the tank, then I might start asking questions.

Surprisingly it's happened more than once this week during roulette's and it's finally gotten to me.

That one guy who tells everyone else how to play their class and asks them why they didn't use X skill in Y instance, or at all, even though you're all over geared, running just fine, and they're spend more time typing their "tool tips" for your group instead of DPSing, Holding Aggro, or Healing.

I want to smack people who just keep spamming at me "Flash more," even when I'm holding aggro on everything just fine. I'M TRYING TO CONSERVE MP SO WE'RE NOT STOPPING EVERY OTHER PULL SO I CAN REGEN IT. Gaaawd.

I seriously have just ignored the normal sword combo for the two-step one that recovers MP, followed by a Flash, with enemy groups larger than two. And I still get people telling me to Flash more. And then I do and I run out of MP and they're still AoEing like crazy and mobs are going everywhere and I DON'T HAVE THE MP ANYMORE, LET ME GET SOME BACK.

Which is a plus I still have to give PLD, I have larger MP stores for more Flashes and I can regen that a good bit easier than if I Overpowered a time too many and I'm bottoming out on TP.

I just have an issue with DPS that pull in general. Let me grab it, let me get aggro. If you want to pull it, I'mma let you tank it. That goes for when I'm a tank AND when I'm a healer. And if I'm the latter, don't expect healing. I may be neurotic about keeping HP levels high, but I don't reward misbehavior.

I should clarify that pulling stuff accidentally is okay, though. I've done that enough while trying to get into a nice position. But if you're actively running ahead of the tank, then I might start asking questions.

While leveling MRD/WAR, I ran into plenty a Rogue/Ninja who decided they wanted to throw their knives at something in the distance before I could tomahawk.

I won't get into how many people will unload on their buttons and/or offensive CDs after you've just thrown a shield or an axe.

Please.

Stop.

That thing is going to stomp your face and I'm not going to care about it except for the fact that my healer is going to be distracted and heal you.

While leveling MRD/WAR, I ran into plenty a Rogue/Ninja who decided they wanted to throw their knives at something in the distance before I could tomahawk.

I won't get into how many people will unload on their buttons and/or offensive CDs after you've just thrown a shield or an axe.

Please.

Stop.

That thing is going to stomp your face and I'm not going to care about it except for the fact that my healer is going to be distracted and heal you.

I'm super guilty of this on ninja! Especially in low level dungeons. I hurl knives on the way in and then apply DoTs and then do my ninja thing. It's the most fun worst in Toto-Rak. I WILL Sneak Attack the rafflesias when they spawn, I WILL blow cooldowns INCLUDING BLOOD FOR BLOOD and I WILL do my best to get myself killed. Instant comm for the tank who takes it back and holds it, or failing that, the healer who doesn't let me stupid my face off.

And if anyone ever catches me doing that in a run and wants to call me on my nonsense, you are entirely fair to do so. It's stupid and greedy and helps break the monotony that is low level dungeoning.

Breaking dungeon monotony? You mean circle/tornado/spin tanking? Guilty.

Ran my two friends who both decided they would role twin MNK's for PVE and RP through low level dungeons for a day... let's just say that half way through the day they were lucky to get proper positioning. Sure it made the dungeons longer but I was amused. Very amused.

Breaking dungeon monotony? You mean circle/tornado/spin tanking? Guilty.

Ran my two friends who both decided they would role twin MNK's for PVE and RP through low level dungeons for a day... let's just say that half way through the day they were lucky to get proper positioning. Sure it made the dungeons longer but I was amused. Very amused.

"Sorry guys, my D keeps malfunctioning. Good thing I'm locked on!"

Talk to your doctor if your D malfunctions for more than four hours per session.

I, uh, am guilty of pulling the adds in ST on Glasya and Scylla. I raise shields (Manaward and Manawall) and hit the add with everything I've got so I can ensure it's in a safe spot and dies quick. However, I fully expect to tank it when I do that. :)

In my defense, this is a behavior honed from questionable tanks who fail to position the mob (nothing like the tank dragging the clockwork knight back to the center, despite everyone yelling "don't do that," and wiping the raid), ignore the add entirely (hi Oceanus, I sure would like it if you murdered the healers), or raid MTs who inexplicably stay on the add as Scylla comes by and decides to turn the rest of the group into goo.

ST. *shakes fist*

The most dangerous enemy in ST is your fellow players. :x

That said, it's maddening to run things as DPS anymore. WHY ARE OTHER TANKS SO SLOW WHY ARE YOU STOPPING WHY DID YOU ONLY PULL ONE PACK WHAT YEAR IS THIS

This is Qarn HM, not Tam-Tara! It does remind me of a particular Qarn HM run though... The tank was pulling one at a time, but as soon as I voiced that the NIN and I were geared and could take more, the tank pulled more. He probably didn't trust our pug DPS, the way we didn't trust his pug tanking!

That said, I loved chainpulling while leveling WAR in low-level dungeons. Definitely made it fun for everyone else... Even the healer, despite early protests...

And as a DPS, I'll totally rag on other melee DPS who don't know their proper rotations by the time they're doing Expert roulette dungeons, and on pretty much anyone who doesn't weave their off-gcd skills!

Haha, yeah. I've had some help from the Friends of Momodi LS with some of the runs. A good portion of Saturday's runs were with another tank and a tank and a DPS. The blade just decided to make itself scarce. I swear, we saw, like, four axes and at least six mogfists.

I started as PLD and when the blade didn't drop after 4 axes, I went WAR. Guess who got an axe within 3 runs? Still though, F R E E S O L D I E R Y

Haha, yeah. I've had some help from the Friends of Momodi LS with some of the runs. A good portion of Saturday's runs were with another tank and a tank and a DPS. The blade just decided to make itself scarce. I swear, we saw, like, four axes and at least six mogfists.

I started as PLD and when the blade didn't drop after 4 axes, I went WAR. Guess who got an axe within 3 runs? Still though, F R E E S O L D I E R Y

I should just try to complete the set at this rate. Will probably get the sword last, too. But then I won't have to worry about any more Moogle-weapons until the expansion hits.

D-do you think there'll be a mooglegun? I want a mooglegun. :blush:

Oh ST.

I like when I get into aggro fights over the boss or another big mob with another tank. I went in and grabbed it, and suddenly it's lashing back and forth because one of the other tanks decided "no, I want it!" It's the best when it's one of the dragons and the bouncing back and forth causes the dragon to spew its breath weapon at the rest of the alliance.

The previous paragraph was 100% sarcastic.

Usually, if I'm dealing with a Big Man on Campus like that, I just switch to Sword Oath and DPS until there's adds that need tanking. It just gets awkward if they die to stupid and then I have the boss marching over to say hi and I have to get it back to where it should be.

... And then the freshly rezzed Big Man tries to yank it off me again.

I stopped doing ST once I started to farm T7 and T8.

Which I want to do more of cause I need sands for my alt gear for MNK and stuff.

But oh man...

"please stand in the purple aoe on Xande so we split the damage when it pops."

"please notice alliance A gets more Ice orbs than fire orbs. particularly our healers."

"please stop hitting glasya when all the adds aren't chained. did you notice that your lightning/dot/FLARE got reflected back to you? ... no?"

"just... please."

"please stop hitting glasya when all the adds aren't chained. did you notice that your lightning/dot/FLARE got reflected back to you? ... no?"

... That's a thing?

I always just moved to the adds to activate the jumper pads so we don't die. I didn't even know he puts up a reflective shield. :|

So I actually didn't know about that mechanic until a few months ago but yeah.

Once the adds drop down, Glasya will reflect -everything-. He'll only stop once the teleporters come online.

So yes, you can DPS Glasya until he dies before that phase but it would allow your healers to have one dps the adds (quicker!) while the other heals the tanker.

Then everyone can and should go to town on glasya before teleport phase.

Yeah, the only reason I do ST is for Sands and Oil, because I don't do Coil. (Even I have my limits to what I'm willing to DF, and yeah, still haven't cleared T5 yet.) I have almost full sets of everything that drops in ST from that. :)

A lot of people don't know about the Glasya reflect shield. That can result in serious comedy when one alliance drops their clockwork before the other two do...

After explaining the mechanic and see black mages still targeting them... I may have let them die to ticking dots after their flares.

May have.

seriously. You people. if people let me know they're free on Saturdays, there are people rawring to help and get soldiery for you.

The people I know both will try to explain the mechanics and it won't totally feel like you were dragged through. Will it be a carry? Well, it does sorta depend on how much you die to the mechanics. But they won't make you feel dumb. They don't care about too many wipes. Seriously, we don't. People ran for like 13 hours of both people who just couldn't clear or learned T9 for soldiery. I'm not kidding when I say that 23 people got t9 clears and 1 person got T5.

The next day that same person got all the enhancement items while they cleared T6-T9. It was a two-shot.

I now outdps Twintania. >.>;

and seriously you could farm T7 so much faster and easier for sands and oils.

Haukke Manor.  NM.  Low level roulette.  I'm running as a WHM, barely high enough level for it.  With two NIN in AF gear and a tank that judging by health was level 40-45 or so paladin.  We start off, things go fairly well...until the ninjas suddenly go hidden and -vanish-, taking off down that main hallway.  I ask tank, "What are they doing?"  Tank, "Idk".  We wait a few moments, get a notification that the first boss room is closing in 15 sec.

First boss room closes.

I lol at first, thinking it was an accident.

NOPE

The ninjas proceed to race through all of HM in hidden, pull the ENTIRE DUNGEON to the last room, then tell tank and I to 'hurry the f* up' and kill the last boss.  They die, dungeon munches tank and my faces.  I ask 'wtf are you doing?'

And get this response, word for word

Nin A: tears

Nin B: speed run bruh

I tell them we're not geared for a speed run, just go at the pace the tank was setting, got called a variety of names, attempted to vote abandon, they declined, told me to suck it.  I attempted to vote kick one of the nins, was told to suck it.  I finally told them to vote kick me, because i wasn't taking a penalty for their dickery.

Nins said no.

I got up and made dinner.

Came back and was no longer in the dungeon.  Queued back up and had a fantastic, easy run with nice people.  Happy ending.

Fucking people doing atma or other shit. Pulling this speed run shit.

I'm sorry. I'm in a low level roulette/dungeon pre-50.

I want my fucking exp you turd.

Heh I am doing Zodiac now.... have to do AV over and over; if people ask 'how are we running this?' I explain why I am there, but go with 'whatever.' Sometimes they take pity on me sometimes they need the exp. I just try to convince them they can pull a bit more than a single pack... if they don't I just go dpsy.

I got up and made dinner.

This brings to mind another pet peeve - and not the one you might think.

Those people who refuse to roll on items at the end of ST and the like, thinking that we'll get fed up and just leave or something so they don't have to worry about the RNG. Had an ST on Friday where we had that happen and I just started shooting the breeze with the other tank.

Made it a point that it was a Friday night and I had NO plans for Saturday, so I was willing to wait just as long as these folks could. Ultimately it timed out and all I got was a single sand, but hey. That went into improving my tank belt!

I don't know how you do it.

I did at-level groups with a WHM who was FCOB skilled and ready. I was leveling my WAR and was doing DD first room runs until he said "hey let's do AV"

Well. He decided he'd pull more than one group.

We - ME- died multiple times.

I don't know how you do it.

I did at-level groups with a WHM who was FCOB skilled and ready. I was leveling my WAR and was doing DD first room runs until he said "hey let's do AV"

Well. He decided he'd pull more than one group.

We - ME- died multiple times.

The healer just needs to stay calm and realize his heals are 40% of what they are used to and missing level 50 skills. Mind you there are limits xD. The tank also needs to pop cooldowns as needed and DPS need to be doing their job.

I kinda have been lucky lately I think. Also, I am a scholar so I must be insane.