The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

Wondrous Tails has brought out some truly stupid people.

Ultima Hard Mode. Party comp should definitely be 1 tank (the party leader) and 7 dps slot. I mean, we all know how tough that encounter is!

If it's unsynched, sure. The fight is about a minute long with all 60s. But did the party maker forget to turn that on?

That moment when people don't pop orbs but yourself and you can't self heal through all of them orz

So a few days ago, I was doing some PotD floors, right? (I think it was 21-30), and a guy disconnects. His friend says he was having lag issues and the other person and I were like "Okay no big deal, it happens". SIX FLOORS LATER, the guy (Let's just call him Jerry cuz why not?) and I agreed that enough time has past, we had to kick the disconnected guy. After the kick, the friend IMMEDIATELY started griefing. He was setting off traps on purpose, running back, aggroing more enemies and luring them back to us, he was acting like a complete child. It was around this time a healer came in to replace the DC'd guy. We called out Crybaby on his bullshit and he threatened to report us and get me banned for calling him an idiot. Eventually, Jerry, Healer, and I finally reported and kicked Crybaby for threatening us, griefing, etc. I don't think we got a guy to replace Crybaby that run, but we didn't need one in the end. And you wanna know what the funny thing is? I can't find Crybaby in the Lodestone :^)

• 2 weeks later...

The scene?  A run through Gubal on normal, facing down the boss of the run.  We'd managed to get this far (and seen nothing but MNK armor drop), and I figure that well, the boss isn't that hard (everybody knows the Demon Tome is the hardest fight of the dungeon), and we ought to be out with little fuss.

The others seem to know what they're doing, at least- a Black Mage, Astrologian and Warrior rounding out the team.  So we commence the fight, and everything goes well- we seal up the first Void Call, and get him down to about thirty percent HP.  That's when things go, well...

The boss opens up and starts casting a mid-level Void Call (four panels each requiring two or three people to block), and the three of them go to one panel, and me as a solo go to another panel, waiting for two more to join me so we're not drowning in adds.  The meter keeps slowly filling, yet nothing's happening- so I look over to the others.

They're just standing there, watching the meter fill.

I know they know how the fight works- they stopped the first Void Call, and they can see the other portals.  But unlike then, they're just doing nothing, and right in the middle of me typing a message telling them to seal the rest of the panels, Void Call goes off, and I immediately get to make a new friend as an add spawns on my shadow and tries to introduce itself by pulling my stomach out through my navel.

In the end, though, we did pull it out- even if it was much closer than it should ever have been.  What should have been an easy finish turned into one where it looked like we were going to have to pull it out by the skin of our teeth, but lucked out instead.  I was a bit peeved, but I left the instance before I said anything I'd really regret.

Why in the blazes would you let the boss make the fight any harder than it needs to be?  We could have sealed them up and finished the boss- I had a fresh charge of Battle Litany and BotD ready to go.

Is there any advantage to letting Void Call go off- some strategy I'm just not seeing?  I kind of always think that adds are a bad thing...

Another, smaller vent:  Why the hell do I get shyness attacks when I try to go RP-ing?  There could be a slate of events I want to hit, but it always feels like I manage to talk myself out of going ("Oh, they'll never want to be involved with your character.  They'll think your storyline is stupid and not want to play with you.  Why not spend the evening crafting and trying to make gil?")  and I miss out on stuff like the Crescent pub crawl that I'd been looking forward to for a week.

It's so frustrating to see an event that's cool or to make plans with others and then just never let them go anywhere just because of my own insecurities over how they might view Caleria.  I know there's at least one person I owe an apology to for that...

I just want you to know that it's your fault that was so hard just now, tank.

Well I'm not very experienced tanking; do you have any advice?

Why you gotta need it. -.-

So mean. :[

I'm fully ready to believe that I did something wrong in the final battle, I am not the best tank, but ffs not all of us are born knowing exactly what to do and how are we going to learn if you don't tell us what we did wrong?

Ironically, I got a player commendation, so somebody must have felt sorry for me.

I had a tank once who kept trying to micromanage when I should go into cleric stance, which was weird because I was doing it anyway. It was on one of the low level dungeons. Copperbell, I think.

I've also had instances where the tank continuously kept running into fights before my MP had regened (pre-Shroud of Saints), one where a Dragoon decided that he wanted to play tank (it didn't end well for him), one time where the two DPS sat on the floor and refused to do anything, like literally just sat there...

Also would like it if people waited for Stoneskin II to finish casting before running off. K thanx

I just want you to know that it's your fault that was so hard just now, tank.

Well I'm not very experienced tanking; do you have any advice?

Why you gotta need it. -.-

So mean. :[

I'm fully ready to believe that I did something wrong in the final battle, I am not the best tank, but ffs not all of us are born knowing exactly what to do and how are we going to learn if you don't tell us what we did wrong?

Ironically, I got a player commendation, so somebody must have felt sorry for me.

Honestly I've adopted the 'too bad, so sad' mentality when it comes to those kinds of people. I'm more than willing to learn. My FC mates can go on about how I hound them for 60 strats for various classes before I've even gotten them that high or how I'll stop a dungeon party from forming simply to watch the video if I even -think- it might be content new or that I haven't touched on a specific role. Yet I don't have any tolerance for people telling me I've messed up without actually letting me figure out why. Or worse, getting huffy over it.

Dear newbie(?) healer in our group running Titan Normal:

You're new, we get that.  But when Titan rears up and goes for his first Geocrush, please remember not to stand in the red at the very edge of the platform- you know, that bit of the arena that's going to crumble into the abyss, taking you with it?  Geocrush is going to hit everybody in the arena, just heal through it and we'll thump him. 

Also, please don't cuss us out when we tell you not to stand in the red and then proceed to do so two more times after this.  It's impossible for a synced party to beat any form of Titan without a healer.  We're just trying to help you get the clear, and if you'll just listen to us, we'll get said clear- but I just hope you took the lesson with you when you quit our group to go do something else. 

I'm kind of torn if you were either just stubborn or being a troll- I'm leaning towards stubborn this time around, mostly because Titan is the first real difficulty spike in the game, and he can be a real pain in the butt if given half a chance. (I ought to know, I hate all three of his forms with a burning passion.)  But unless you open up and get an idea as to what you have to do, you'll be stuck here for a while.

You're new, we get that.  But when Titan rears up and goes for his first Geocrush, please remember not to stand in the red at the very edge of the platform- you know, that bit of the arena that's going to crumble into the abyss, taking you with it?  Geocrush is going to hit everybody in the arena, just heal through it and we'll thump him.

Thank you! I was never sure where to stand when he did that and I always just ran around like a chicken with its head cut off, hoping I looked as if I knew what I was doing. xD So avoid the edge and I'm fine, yay. Well, until he starts casting Landslide. DX

If you're a WAR and you're tanking in a dungeon, use your stances. Also Overpower, but I would hope I wouldn't have to explain that.

Did my Leveling roulette today to finish up my Anima upgrade and got Stone Vigil NM with a trio of on-level characters. Which was all fine and good except the WAR was... disappointing. Level 43, never once used Defiance, and I'm fairly certain he never used Overpower either. He DID start using Flash though once the Scholar got upset at him for not being able to keep aggro on more than one mob.

Both the SCH and I suggested repeatedly that he use Defiance and Overpower, but after his one chat post - which was an apology for the SCH getting hit due to his inability to maintain group aggro - he remained silent and seemed to be mostly ignoring us and continuing on his own thing.

I gave him until a little after the first boss before I votekicked him for harassment. Friend queued in and we breezed through the rest of it without our tank losing aggro to EOS.

• 2 weeks later...

I started leveling dragoon for a change... I got into Haukke with another dragoon and a scholar. The tank is a fresh gladiator. When you see that only the tank is still without its job and probably a bit greener than the rest, you know that he will have a bit more trouble to keep aggro, etc. Especially as a gladiator.

Anyway. As soon as the timer starts and the barrier fades, the other dragoon rushes in and start aggroing everything. Not absolutely -everything-, but enough to make big pulls, which makes me think he wasn't trying to fuckup the run, just dictate the pace. I almost never leave a dungeon, but this was the last straw for the day. I expected the healer and the tank to tell him to calm the fuck down and let the tank do their job, but both didn't. I was the least well positionned to tell him, but I told him nevertheless. Got to make use of that mentor tag and all that jazz...

I left for 3 main reasons: 

1) I hate when people think they can take unilateral decisions on how to properly bypass roles and correct behavior. If everyone is fine with it, sure, go for it, but ask first please. I sure would have not been fine with it though, so yeah, I guess it's why you didn't ask. You perfectly knew that nobody would agree to that. Especially to a DPS pulling everything like an idiot.

2) Spineless tank and healer that rolled with it instead of complaining. Maybe they were all together in party though, which could explain that.

3) If the other DPS had been a BLM, SMN or what you have with great AoEs, alright. Your behavior is still obnoxious and rude as hell, but if the tank and heal don't mind, alright then. But we are 2 fucking dragoons with absolutely zero AoE skills at that point. While you are spending your time aggroing and pulling everything, we are left with just me and the tank and heal to mow down mobs one by one... And the heal had other things to take care of anyway considering the amount of mobs around the tank (AND you since you pull).

If you can't use your brain for 2 seconds and understand that it's not going any faster that way - quite slower actually since we are single target DPS-ing, and the heal is overwhelmed - then I don't know what to say. If you want to play tank instead of the tank, then play a fucking tank and run it your way.

And don't boast and tell me after I threaten to leave that you will manage without me. I'm sure you will. It will just take you 15minutes longer to get the clear. 

When people can't into basic logic skills. :frustrated:

NB: and trying to leave a dungeon when people are constantly pulling things is a nightmare, because 'can't leave while fighting'. Have to take a step back and break combat, as hard as it is.

NB: and trying to leave a dungeon when people are constantly pulling things is a nightmare, because 'can't leave while fighting'. Have to take a step back and break combat, as hard as it is.

This particular little mechanic sucks for when you want to kick someone too. Since all they have to do to keep themselves from being removed is constantly initiate and maintain combat. Or, even better, if loot dropped - don't roll on anything. Because you can't initiate votekicks when there's still loot to be rolled on! :frustrated:

-looks over many of these horror stories-

-once again counts her lucky stars that she has pocket tanks and DPS that don't make her regret her choice to main healer after years of DPS'ing-

Also: that feel when you're helping a newbie clear some content, let people know they're new, they don't take it into account, then get mad about it after a wipe.

lolbrah

Qarn NM, December 4th, 5:16pm

[17:16](Butthurt PLD) Suen youre trash

[17:16](Suen Shyu) ?

[17:17](Suen Shyu) Elaborate?

[17:17](Butthurt PLD) Nah

[17:18](Mislead green sprout SMN) U keep attacking bfore he gets agro

[17:18](Suen Shyu) Then get aggro

[17:18](Suen Shyu) That mob wasn't aggroed for eons

[17:18](Butthurt PLD) Lol?

[17:18](Mislead green sprout SMN) He was agroing it

[17:18](Suen Shyu) The Qarn facer?

[17:18](Suen Shyu) Was yellow the whole time

[17:19](Butthurt PLD) Cause you make your own marks

[17:21](Suen Shyu) I'm only switching targets to place dots

[17:21](Suen Shyu) I'm also not inclined to argue nicely when the first shot I get is "you are trash"

[17:21](Butthurt PLD) Youre trash*

[17:21](Suen Shyu) Thank you for proving my point

[17:22](Butthurt PLD) Np

[17:25](Suen Shyu) In any case, I'm sorry you feel that way. I leveled up tank too, I know it's pain at low level.

[17:25](Butthurt PLD) Lol youre still talking?

[17:25](Suen Shyu) Fine

[17:25](Suen Shyu) Do'nt start something if don't intend to finish it then

[17:26](Butthurt PLD) Whore you again?

PLD not able to hold aggro, more butthurt than ever, tries to open the optional rooms (the ones with the trash grey loot), but uses the wrong stones. Then proceeds to pop tank LB against the last revenant when it was 5% HP.

[17:33](Suen Shyu) :o

[17:34](Suen Shyu) The irony really. Makes mistakes at every turn and has the guts to tell me I'm 'trash' /slowclap

[17:35](Butthurt PLD) What mistakes?

[17:35](Suen Shyu) Why did you pop tank LB?

[17:35](Butthurt PLD) I figured youd like it

PLD misplaces on purpose the two last stones for the last room and we get another unecessary spawn out of it.

[17:38](Suen Shyu) :c

[17:38](Butthurt PLD) ;)

PLD starts tanking the boss, then sees me running to get the facer adds, and starts trying to rip aggro from me so he can kill them out of the platforms. Fails though, because his enmity is shit, I keep ripping everything off him. He continues to run all around like an ass after.

[17:40](Suen Shyu) What are you doing

[17:41](Butthurt PLD) Chillin, u?

[17:41](Suen Shyu) lol k

I tanked the boss on the last segment, through potions and a very inexperienced healer. Got 2 comms, at least.. Not that i need them, but at least it proves me that I was not alone in there. I get extremely anxious with a mentor tag above my head when that happens.

This has nothing to do with PuGs, but it's still a vent!

Stupid Square Enix sent me an email telling me all about the new Encyclopaedia Eorzea that's out now! Sooo click on the link and takes me to the AU store ... which does not have it. Have it in all your stores, damn it!

• 2 weeks later...

3-man premade, Tank/DPS/DPS, levelling roulette - get baby Copperbell. Tankfriend is brand new to tanking and says so, in /p. I'm explaining in linkshell how to open a pull--

Oh, the healer already pulled.

Aight, maybe he was just a bit impatient to get started. We clear the first chamber, go down the lift and... he pulls again, immediately, before the tank has even begun to move.

(Aghurlal Qar-akimusun) Please let the tank pull

(ASSTROLOGIAN) calm down

(Aghurlal Qar-akimusun) It was a very calm request

(Aghurlal Qar-akimusun) Please don't get offended :)

Asstrologian stops for a few pulls and I think okay, maybe he has a braincell, this might not be too bad, but then... he starts pulling again, during the area where there's a lot of patrols.

Like, we're surviving because it's baby Copperbell and I don't think I've ever seen a group wipe there no matter how bad they are, but it's not helping my friend's confidence or his ability to learn to tank better. Especially in that area, it's a really good place to develop group awareness habits, and Asstrologian wasn't allowing any of the (normal, expected) situations which allow that.

(Aghurlal Qar-akimusun) Again, please let the tank pull

(ASSTROLOGIAN) Don't be a bitch

I make this face:

ac0e9676b9d8131cc488cb52d1288304.jpg

...and I'm literally typing "we are a three-man premade, please reconsider your approach and whether you want to continue pulling" when dude goes and pulls again. Two groups. While we're still working on one ourselves.

(DEEPSFRIEND) You are my sunshine, my only sunshine

Vote dismiss commenced.

A party member has been dismissed.

And that, mercifully, was the end of that.

Happy ending: we wait around for 5 minutes and get a new healer, then this:

(TANKFRIEND) Just letting you know that I'm a new tank :>

(GODSENT SCH) It's all good. We are all new at some point.

Pretty sure guy walked away with all 3 of our comms. xD

Not a super bad PuG, but it ruffles my feathers the wrong way.

Tank shows up in expert, doesn't use DarkSide. Seriously? You should be able to use that properly at that level, it's part of your core skills FFS. Whatever, I think, the other BLM only has the i240 weapon, this should be okay. 

On packs of mobs, it goes more or less ok, though bumpy when we start nuking stuff with flares. Healer awareness is here so I don't die systematically. And thanks for manawall/manaward, it really is a godsent. And when it still isn't enough, TP directly on the tank to nudge him good.

Things start to get funny on bosses. I systematically ripped aggro off him everytime I went in Astral Fire since he wasn't generating enough damage to get proper enmity. Then when the bosses were done with me, they went to murder happily the other BLM that was a good player overall. But yeah, I mostly served as a meatshield to the other BLM pretty much all the time since my weapon was way better.

On the first boss it was more or less fine since it's a BLM unfriendly boss (meaning, that likes to get invulnerable or go away at the worst possible moments, like that stupid liquid flame). Besides that, that boss doesn't hit for shit anyway.

On the second boss, Hahahahahaha. Well, let's just say that ripping aggro off the tank when the boss is about to cast On-High with the super haste boost that you can't dodge... Things get facepalm worthy.

So yes, not something super terrible, but DRK that don't use darkside in expert annoy me, a lot more than healers that pick up their noses to be honest: those at least don't directly threaten the party.

But damn, use the skillset you are given. Especially the core skills. It's not here just to be pretty. :frustrated:

Not a super bad PuG, but it ruffles my feathers the wrong way.

Tank shows up in expert, doesn't use DarkSide. Seriously? You should be able to use that properly at that level, it's part of your core skills FFS. Whatever, I think, the other BLM only has the i240 weapon, this should be okay. 

On packs of mobs, it goes more or less ok, though bumpy when we start nuking stuff with flares. Healer awareness is here so I don't die systematically. And thanks for manawall/manaward, it really is a godsent. And when it still isn't enough, TP directly on the tank to nudge him good.

Things start to get funny on bosses. I systematically ripped aggro off him everytime I went in Astral Fire since he wasn't generating enough damage to get proper enmity. Then when the bosses were done with me, they went to murder happily the other BLM that was a good player overall. But yeah, I mostly served as a meatshield to the other BLM pretty much all the time since my weapon was way better.

On the first boss it was more or less fine since it's a BLM unfriendly boss (meaning, that likes to get invulnerable or go away at the worst possible moments, like that stupid liquid flame). Besides that, that boss doesn't hit for shit anyway.

On the second boss, Hahahahahaha. Well, let's just say that ripping aggro off the tank when the boss is about to cast On-High with the super haste boost that you can't dodge... Things get facepalm worthy.

So yes, not something super terrible, but DRK that don't use darkside in expert annoy me, a lot more than healers that pick up their noses to be honest: those at least don't directly threaten the party.

But damn, use the skillset you are given. Especially the core skills. It's not here just to be pretty. :frustrated:

He shouldn't have needed darkside to hold threat. Absolutely should have had it on, regardless, but shouldn't have been necessary to keep aggro.

That, my friend, was just a terrible DRK, period.

Finally tried my first raid and I think it might be my last if it's indicative of how they usually go. DX

Was doing the first part of the Crystal Tower on my Bard and it was just horrible. Firstly, I lagged getting out of the loading screen and some helpful person kindly marked me as target to ignore 1 because of that. Which you can't remove from yourself.

People did not wait at any of the bosses. I got locked out of about half of them, because I'm not the fastest mover. I ended up following the wrong group, because I didn't know who was who or what we were doing. I was just shooting whatever came near me. xD

Then people started bickering over alliance chat and complaining about other groups. I didn't really care anymore, because I had died and had to respawn at the beginning and was now lost. So I got locked out of the final boss and I finally managed to find the exit after everyone else had already gone.

Ugh, I'm being whiny tonight. My tank just got yelled at again and I'm feeling gloomy. I think I'm going to have to give up tanking.

/end vent

Finally tried my first raid and I think it might be my last if it's indicative of how they usually go. DX

Was doing the first part of the Crystal Tower on my Bard and it was just horrible. Firstly, I lagged getting out of the loading screen and some helpful person kindly marked me as target to ignore 1 because of that. Which you can't remove from yourself.

People did not wait at any of the bosses. I got locked out of about half of them, because I'm not the fastest mover. I ended up following the wrong group, because I didn't know who was who or what we were doing. I was just shooting whatever came near me. xD

Then people started bickering over alliance chat and complaining about other groups. I didn't really care anymore, because I had died and had to respawn at the beginning and was now lost. So I got locked out of the final boss and I finally managed to find the exit after everyone else had already gone.

Ugh, I'm being whiny tonight. My tank just got yelled at again and I'm feeling gloomy. I think I'm going to have to give up tanking.

/end vent

The Crystal Tower raids are not very good examples for 24-person raids anymore. Few people remember/both with the mechanics now because they've been able to outgear them since late 2.0 series patches. On the the other hand, finding 23 other people and setting up a raid to do things the right way would be a pretty difficult task. Possibly harder than any of the raids.

Common things people derp on in Labyrinth of the Ancients (you'll probably see some of these in the first few pages of the thread).

• I like standing in the poison
  • You mean I'm not supposed to point a Valefor's ass at the party due to its massive AOE tail swipe thing?
  • What are Platinals and do I need to kill them isolated on the pads? Let's just heal through all the extra damage.
  • I'm killing Blood Dragon before anyone can handle the Platinals.
  • I like standing in the poison
  • What do you mean 4 people have to stand on a pad for Atomos?
  • I'm gonna point the Valefor's ass at the party.
  • Let's not stun/silence the succubi and let them roast the pad people.
  • Oops. I let my magic pot die. The healers didn't heal it. The DPS didn't kill the adds. And the tanks kept fighting for hate even though only ghosted players can damage Thanatos.
  • I like standing in lava.
  • Killing Allagan Napalms and Allagan Ballons are for n00bs. A real party lets them explode on the Allagan Bomb. Bigger is better!
  • I like standing in lava AOEs. Even more than the other lava.
  • Pick a tower. Any tower. Oops. Nobody pushed the button and it exploded.
  • Iron Giant, be FREEEEEEEE. Because nobody felt like tanking you.
  • What are meteors? Wait. I was supposed to hide behind them for that roar?
  • Electricity debuffs don't need to be healed lol. You have potions for that.
  • Pepperoni and Bacon Strips AOEs
  • I'll let the party die from the Iron Claws. They should have broken themselves out.
  • Wait, we're supposed to have the party stand on the pads to put up a barrier? But the tanks have over 9999 HP and can survive it anyways lol.
  • Bacon strips

But I also look back fondly on the Crystal Tower drinking game, circa January 2014 when the content was still relevant.

Xqd55HB.png

sgvYyBR.png

He shouldn't have needed darkside to hold threat. Absolutely should have had it on, regardless, but shouldn't have been necessary to keep aggro.

That, my friend, was just a terrible DRK, period.

I'm ready to accept that some people are less good than others. I'm less ready to accept that when they persist in not activating Darkside even when we call for it again and again...