The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

So, this happened while running PotD 31-40 on an alt under-30 MRD to level them up (actual level, obviously). Ran into a DRK who had the trappings I've seen so many describe before. Edgy character name, didn't use Darkside, spammed Unleash to near MP depletion (even did it on single targets), blah blah blah. Weird thing was, he almost seemed like he was trying to compete with me for enemy aggro, even though I had him outleveled and outaetherpool'd at that point. Looked at his info, and DRG, NIN, and DRK were, sure enough, maxed out, with BLM not far behind.

Just another lazy soul for the spreadsheets, really.

Idk why but for some reason when I see DRK's with PLD & WAR not even at lvl 20 but they have 60 dps jobs or healer jobs I just brace myself for them being terrible and figured they only levelled DRK cause unlike the other two it was already halfway levelled.

So far the chance they're bad in my experience is well over 50%

Idk why but for some reason when I see DRK's with PLD & WAR not even at lvl 20 but they have 60 dps jobs or healer jobs I just brace myself for them being terrible and figured they only levelled DRK cause unlike the other two it was already halfway levelled.

Oh god, this is half the reason I only trust DRK from my friend group. The amount of people who have no desire to learn how to play their class is staggering with DRK and I cannot fathom why. I just automatically assume a DRK is bad these days and am pleasantly surprised when I'm proven wrong.

It's the same for me when it comes to AST honestly. The number of terrible AST's I've come across has hurt my soul, even post-buff. Many don't even have CNJ leveled enough to get protect.

MCH is usually a mixed bag since it's a high skill level class, but usually even a bad one can be useful with the Promotion buff.

Oh god, this is half the reason I only trust DRK from my friend group. The amount of people who have no desire to learn how to play their class is staggering with DRK and I cannot fathom why. I just automatically assume a DRK is bad these days and am pleasantly surprised when I'm proven wrong.

It's the same for me when it comes to AST honestly. The number of terrible AST's I've come across has hurt my soul, even post-buff. Many don't even have CNJ leveled enough to get protect.

MCH is usually a mixed bag since it's a high skill level class, but usually even a bad one can be useful with the Promotion buff.

Same here, like you literally have several mp regen skills but when you ask the BRD/MCH "Why aren't you regenerating my MP" it's a clear indicator you should stop playing DRK. 

AST & MCH I'm told are kinda difficult classes, especially MCH so if it looks like the person is at least trying I generally don't complain. It's just the DRKs that are god awful to me and its become a habit every time I see one I check their classes and cringe when they have unleveled PLD & WARs.

A different gripe though are the DRK who have DS up in non combative rp, especially in the QS. Like.... -why-? I KNOW you see that irritating aura around you. Turn it off.

A different gripe though are the DRK who have DS up in non combative rp, especially in the QS. Like.... -why-? I KNOW you see that irritating aura around you. Turn it off.

But how else are people supposed to know I'm a seething pot of edge and emotions that no one can possibly understand!?

But how else are people supposed to know I'm a seething pot of edge and emotions that no one can possibly understand!?

By dying.

I imagine those kinds of folks are the ones easily impressed/excited by just about anything. To them, it doesn't seem to matter if they play awkwardly or deal negligible damage, so long as they're convinced they look cool doing so. Unfortunately, that just inconveniences everyone else around them.

As for me, when it comes to leveling classes, I choose mine for my characters based first on which ones would make sense for that particular character, and how I want to develop them, and second for any cross-classing or job requirements I'll need. So, since I'm planning on playing this particular alt out as some hardass in her fifties who's seen her share of blood, fights, and shitshows, I'll prolly get DRK for her somewhere down the line (though I wouldn't necessarily RP it out as "DRK").

AST is actually the only healing class that you don't need Conjurer levels to unlock.

AST is actually the only healing class that you don't need Conjurer levels to unlock.

Yep, and honestly I'm not fond of that aspect of it. I've gotten my head bitten off a few times for pointing out a AST should probably go level CNJ for Protect, only to have the AST in question take it as a matter of grave insult against their amazing healing abilities. Mind, every time that happened said AST could hardly ever keep the party alive even post-buff but I digress.

I genuinely never thought I'd post in here. I rarely have things happen that bother me enough to rant about them in a public forum. I'm one of those quiet people who keeps to themselves and avoids conflict. Heck, I'm terrible at dealing with it and avoid it when I can.

Today I felt something I think I've only heard described. I can't really think of any other time I've felt it outside of being sick. You ever heard someone say they got so mad/upset/embarrassed that their head got hot and "throbbed"? Yeah, that happened.

Decided to do a Leveling roulette while chatting with a friend in voice chat. Get Haukke Manor. Tank announces they're new to tanking and lancer had a sprout and was watching the cutscene. Healer is sporting the Cloud outfit, an Anima weapon, and the "burger king crown". I'm a bard and also have a sprout but I'm in 130 gear and just haven't finished the 2.x stuff.

Things go as expected. Tank loses aggro to me a lot. I just stand there DPSing stuff down. Nothing else I could really do unless I wanted to stop attacking to let the tank regain aggro but I'm admittedly not paying enough attention to know if they're even using enmity skills.

Get to the first boss. Stand around with the group long enough for the healer to stoneskin everyone. As waiting a bit doesn't bother me it doesn't really dawn on me that the tank isn't just new they're also hesitant. I see the tank run in and I start running in. As I'm on auto pilot I press a skill when I get to a certain distance as normally a tank would've pulled the boss with a Shield Lob or Flash or something. Naturally they hadn't so I had just screwed up, pulled the boss, and felt terrible. I stand there attacking the boss and waiting for the tank to pull it off me.

Now at this point I have to say that I almost never type in combat. For that matter, I almost never talk in dungeons. I'm slow at typing and I can't both type and attack. If I ever unintentionally pull a boss I always apologize immediately after the fight ends. This time I didn't even get the chance.

Healer says something like "This bard with either of you?" at least one of them says no so he says he's just going to let me die and does so. This is where I get that feeling I described at the beginning of my post. I don't know how to handle this situation. The whole thing was an accident that I had every intention of apologizing for after the fight and here this guy is calling me out for one early pull. So I get passive aggressive about how it was unintentional, lancer I think jumps in about how the tank said she was new but I pulled early, I retort something like I just pressed a button early and was going apologize or something like that, and eventually the group gets over it.

I main healer. I've done that whole "let the early pulling douche die" thing. You don't do it for that one time the ranged attacker pulls. You do it when someone's charging ahead of the tank or someone is clearly casting a spell when the tank hasn't even gone in. People make mistakes ffs and you're not "holier than thou" just because you're the healer with the "burger king crown".

/endrant

you're not "holier than thou" just because you're the healer with the "burger king crown".

Yeah... I've found that the mentor crown doesn't really mean anything in this game. Either it just gives people some sense of entitlement and the idea that they can be complete assholes or they end up underperforming or fucking around because the roulette dumped the group into a relatively low level dungeon. I can literally count the number of people with mentor crowns who've been helpful and polite in a roulette on one hand. Makes me feel disappointed honestly, but I suppose it's naive to expect that they'd be any less of an asshole than anyone else on the Internet.

To be fair, the Healer probably was like that because the tank said they were new and apparently we're having aggro troubles (personally if I was a dps I just stop dpsing a few seconds if I'm about to rip aggro, doesn't really hurt anything) and in their eyes instead of you waiting until the tank pulled and just "auto pilot" attacking you kinda gave off the wrong impression. 

Not gonna say anything else on the matter but if I was that healer (lol I don't heal never will) I probably would've thought something similar. Doubt the crown had anything to do with it tbh

I've done that accidentally too. It's easy as a ranged attacker to accidentally pull something. I've mostly been lucky enough to have a tank that just pulled it straight back off me. Otherwise I try and run away and hope it'll go eat somebody else. xD

To be fair, I'm in the Novice Network and a lot of the mentors there are really helpful.

Final boss of Sohm Al Hard.

The tank has been mediocre throughout the run. Not unbearable, but making mistakes, making huge pulls that he doesn't have any business making with his abilities, thankfully the healer is amazing because me and the Bard are tanking half the pulls.

The final boss he just...runs into the lava. Three times.

"Im just putting the lava pools where they wont bother us."

But he doesnt leave the lava and dies. Three. Fucking. Times. Even when the lava pools dont target him. We end up booting him and getting another tank. It was magical, though.

Yep, and honestly I'm not fond of that aspect of it. I've gotten my head bitten off a few times for pointing out a AST should probably go level CNJ for Protect, only to have the AST in question take it as a matter of grave insult against their amazing healing abilities. Mind, every time that happened said AST could hardly ever keep the party alive even post-buff but I digress.

Reminds me of the Bismarck EX I did with another Ast who never used cards. Or any of her good abilities for that matter. Also didn't have swiftcast so when the new people dying to the mechanics happened I seriously had to carry her. I told her to get swiftcast asap and use her cards right before I exited and at the end of it all only for one commendation. :'(

Final boss of Sohm Al Hard.

The tank has been mediocre throughout the run.  Not unbearable, but making mistakes, making huge pulls that he doesn't have any business making with his abilities, thankfully the healer is amazing because me and the Bard are tanking half the pulls.

The final boss he just...runs into the lava.  Three times.

"Im just putting the lava pools where they wont bother us."

But he doesnt leave the lava and dies.  Three. Fucking. Times.  Even when the lava pools dont target him.  We end up booting him and getting another tank.  It was magical, though.

Reminds me of a run I had last night.

Tank doesn't move Scorpion so now it's right on top of the lava pool and I can barely get off monk positionals.

"pls move it"

Tank dodges and now places scorpion in a way where I can only hit its face.

Meanwhile, this giant lava pool keeps growing in the middle of the arena because it targeted the Tank and the tank didn't move from the center.

In the end, giant lava pools were everywhere. I could only hit the scorpion from its face because I had aggro when WHM and Tank died. To lava.

Party: whew. great save. nice.

me: :/

Voice in head: This would have gone so much better if the tank could actually position the boss without having people set off lava everywhere.

To be fair, the Healer probably was like that because the tank said they were new and apparently we're having aggro troubles (personally if I was a dps I just stop dpsing a few seconds if I'm about to rip aggro, doesn't really hurt anything) and in their eyes instead of you waiting until the tank pulled and just "auto pilot" attacking you kinda gave off the wrong impression. 

Not gonna say anything else on the matter but if I was that healer (lol I don't heal never will) I probably would've thought something similar. Doubt the crown had anything to do with it tbh

Oh, I'm not saying I'm innocent. I screwed up and I could've been paying more attention. When I say auto pilot though I don't mean I was doing something like "see thing, attack thing" without waiting for the tank. The whole mishap didn't even happen until the tank was at least halfway to the boss.

Honestly, I don't know if it was the crown that made them feel like they could police people or the fact that they were the healer. I'm more inclined to believe it was the latter and at the very least their seniority helped develop this mentality.

All that aside anyone want to hear another fun story about healers thinking they can police people? This one's shorter and second hand. Boyfriend queues up for mentor roulette, as a tank, while I can't play with him. Gets dropped into an in progress party. Either asks or is informed why the last tank left. Apparently, the tank either didn't wait for Protect or ran out of range for it so the healer let the tank die. The tank quit after that. I know from experience that that's annoying (I have even sassed my boyfriend for doing that) but you're really going to drop your righteous healer judgement over a single friggin' Protect?

Oh, I'm not saying I'm innocent. I screwed up and I could've been paying more attention. When I say auto pilot though I don't mean I was doing something like "see thing, attack thing" without waiting for the tank. The whole mishap didn't even happen until the tank was at least halfway to the boss.

Honestly, I don't know if it was the crown that made them feel like they could police people or the fact that they were the healer. I'm more inclined to believe it was the latter and at the very least their seniority helped develop this mentality.

All that aside anyone want to hear another fun story about healers thinking they can police people? This one's shorter and second hand. Boyfriend queues up for mentor roulette, as a tank, while I can't play with him. Gets dropped into an in progress party. Either asks or is informed why the last tank left. Apparently, the tank either didn't wait for Protect or ran out of range for it so the healer let the tank die. The tank quit after that. I know from experience that that's annoying (I have even sassed my boyfriend for doing that) but you're really going to drop your righteous healer judgement over a single friggin' Protect?

Play Paladin, cross class Protect. Healers ain't got shit on you.

That moment when you want to level up alts because you want them to be pretty.

But then you remember the MSQ.

'No thanks, I'd rather be stuck in the hempen set forever'.

I'm so hyped for jump potions. I will pay good money to skip the MSQ. Not that it's bad but..Two times were enough.

I'm so hyped for jump potions. I will pay good money to skip the MSQ. Not that it's bad but..Two times were enough.

Pretty much the same. I have a full set of eight with most of them below level 25 because I just can't.

bYzjxGO.gif

Pretty much the same. I have a full set of eight with most of them below level 25 because I just can't.

bYzjxGO.gif

I'm on alt #3 of 10 through the 2.0 MSQ and it's taking me weeks to do the Coerthas Central section of the MSQ. Especially because I know the bit after this is just as boring and tedious. ><

bYzjxGO.gif

I'm on alt #3 of 10 through the 2.0 MSQ and it's taking me weeks to do the Coerthas Central section of the MSQ. Especially because I know the bit after this is just as boring and tedious. ><

That's me atm with my third high alt that's like...51? Doing the 2.0 MSQ after the Garlean bit and it's just the long drag between Min's mom and the crystal braves up until Ishgard. It's so much blargh. I don't think I've touched it in weeks.

I was tanking a low-level dungeon awhile ago with two bards in it, and a non-DPSing healer.

Bard 1 was playing Foe the whole time.

Bard 2 was playing Mage's Ballad so the first bard could "play Foe longer".

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but isn't that a good use of teamwork? Whenever my Bard has been in a party with another Bard they were never interested in coordinating songs.