The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

I was tanking a low-level dungeon awhile ago with two bards in it, and a non-DPSing healer.

Bard 1 was playing Foe the whole time.

Bard 2 was playing Mage's Ballad so the first bard could "play Foe longer".

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but isn't that a good use of teamwork? Whenever my Bard has been in a party with another Bard they were never interested in coordinating songs.

Foe Requiem is only useful if you have a mage. It's otherwise completely useless because it lowers magic resistance. And Mage's Ballad reduces that Bard's physical power by 10%, which reduces overall damage dealt while wasting their MP.

...if the healer was outputting some really food DPS, then it coulda been worth it. ...even just having their DoTs up would make it useful.

• 4 weeks later...

To the healer that threw a hissy fit because they got locked out of the second boss of Dun Scaith because I "pulled early" after standing around for thirty seconds then decided to not heal me for the remainder of the raid:   

:)

(A pocket healer for a wife solves everything.)

• 2 weeks later...

To the tanks that insist on keeping the Lava Scorpion's ass (or entire body) in the lava void zones... go die in a hole.

Also, if you're losing threat constantly and end up not tanking the first two bosses for at least 75% of their health... that might be a clue that you're in the wrong stance.

Also, just because you then figure it out and switch to Shield Oath... that doesn't mean stop flashing when there's more than two mobs.

To the tanks that insist on keeping the Lava Scorpion's ass (or entire body) in the lava void zones... go die in a hole.

I actually feel bad when I'm tanking that thing and I'm TRYING to move it out of the lava void zones and it just wants to... chill in it for a while and do all its AoE moves first.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One time in the Stone Vigil, was running on Duty Roulette with my tank and we had a monk and conjurer with us (yes, not a WHM, conjurer). Conjurer kept not healing in time because they were dps'ing. I have no problem with healers dps'ing, but please know when you need to heal instead. And we had the monk talking down to me and the tank over our "substandard gear". We were still in the 40s level wise, we weren't exactly going to have the best damn gear.

• 1 month later...

Gotta love it when you get the Chrysalis for your Trial and the OT legitimately stands still the entire time. Not picking up orbs, not tanking the meteors so we all wiped tried to make up for them, and then FINALLY doing something when we threatened to vote kick and immediately pulling before the vote could finish counting down. Icing on the cake was when their friend, though frankly given the vitriol they had to be dating, gets pissy at others for calling the tank out yet can only muster up a 'go fuck yourself' as a retort.

At least the MT was good, great even! And the DPS was on point. Yet nothing was as satisfying as watching those two slink out of the party after trying to act 'cool' and make the people upset with them look like the idiots.

Could you explain further?

But let me tell you, WAR has not been (as) fun as before in terms of AOE aggro. I won't mention the less tanky feeling of getting hit issues with WAR now cause I don't mind that as much as >I can see the issues on the horizon with enmity<.

As it is now, I have to throw out maybe 5 overpowers on just a pack ALONG with steel cyclones and onslaughts on CD/Beast Gauge.

Overpower is conal and steel cyclone requires 50 Beast Gauge. Infuriate is within battle only. Ranged and DPS with closers (and some healers) need to not engage or set off HoTs if I'm trying to get these mobs in position for me to use overpower effectively (aka not waste it on just two enemies).

... also I feel more squishy :(

(Aggro is less a problem on bosses. It's the trash multiple mobs that are 'fun' to deal with now.)

It certainly seems like WARs are a whole load more squishy now... and I wonder how much of that is based off losing Bloodbath. In AoE pulls, getting the AoE damage plus the reflect damage from that one buff that escapes me... meant you were getting some solid self-healing in there. I abused the heck out of that on WAR on Gogon... though I've only been focusing on SCH (which apparently isn't doing too hot either compared to the other two healers, I've heard) and now RDM on him.

But yeah, by playing RDM on Gogon and SAM on Chach... you have some crazy AoE damage going on right now.

Could you explain further?

But let me tell you, WAR has not been (as) fun as before in terms of AOE aggro. I won't mention the less tanky feeling of getting hit issues with WAR now cause I don't mind that as much as >I can see the issues on the horizon with enmity<.>

As it is now, I have to throw out maybe 5 overpowers on just a pack ALONG with steel cyclones and onslaughts on CD/Beast Gauge.

Overpower is conal and steel cyclone requires 50 Beast Gauge. Infuriate is within battle only. Ranged and DPS with closers (and some healers) need to not engage or set off HoTs if I'm trying to get these mobs in position for me to use overpower effectively (aka not waste it on just two enemies).

... also I feel more squishy :(

(Aggro is less a problem on bosses. It's the trash multiple mobs that are 'fun' to deal with now.)

I honestly don't even remember what class he was I just remember he was a dickbag not mitigating tankbusters then blaming healers and it's my fault he's getting 2 shot cause I don't have an ex weapon yet so my heals suck even though I'm pretty sure ilvl gets scaled down..?

???

Trial Roulette. Like...I don't even.

So he gets vote kicked for harassment and I'm like "Cool ok can just get my 60 tomes and go home." No, then his friend goes off. And these are dudes going through the MSQ like..

I had another tank while leveling that pulled the front half of a dungeon like it's HW then ate shit then started spitting at me. I get tanks got jostled around a lot this xpac but damn. Own some of this. Or at least don't be a dick about it.

Like I have a friend who mains DRK (arguably the tank that got it the worst) and right now I swear most people that play that class are just bottomless holes you burn mana in but he's managed to figure it out and play it just fine so....idk.

Making Dark Dance and Low Blow role based action was a dumb move imho cause now not only does it waste a slot that could be used for something like convalescene or the provoke AoE but I can't even do the DA + DD for the evasion buff but Low Blow isn't even NEEDED by other tank because PLD is a fucking stun spammer and WAR got to keep its stun anyway.

So DRK has to waste 2 slots to get back abilities it already had while the others don't suffer AND they took away the Delerium combo (and made it a role action too like WTF??) Plus Scourge is out the window.

DRK legit is the worst tank right now. If I didn't hate levelling I'd have switched to WAR or PLD if they were at 60 not 50 & 54

Making Dark Dance and Low Blow role based action was a dumb move imho cause now not only does it waste a slot that could be used for something like convalescene or the provoke AoE but I can't even do the DA + DD for the evasion buff but Low Blow isn't even NEEDED by other tank because PLD is a fucking stun spammer and WAR got to keep its stun anyway.

So DRK has to waste 2 slots to get back abilities it already had while the others don't suffer AND they took away the Delerium combo (and made it a role action too like WTF??) Plus Scourge is out the window.

DRK legit is the worst tank right now. If I didn't hate levelling I'd have switched to WAR or PLD if they were at 60 not 50 & 54

WAR lost its stun. We have to cross-role for it now. I mostly miss Bloodbath. And Flash.

WAR lost its stun. We have to cross-role for it now. I mostly miss Bloodbath. And Flash.

I stand corrected. Why tf did they take away our OCD stun yet PLD can be stun happy all days of the week? It's mind boggling.

*covers his NIN in Bloodbath* its so sweet.

So, first time doing one of the new level 70 dungeons. The tank refuses to use their tank stance and loses aggro constantly. We ask politely for them to use it. "If you don't like the way I play, go wait in another hour queue lol"

It was so bad, man. :( Why?

*covers his NIN in Bloodbath*  its so sweet.

So, first time doing one of the new level 70 dungeons.  The tank refuses to use their tank stance and loses aggro constantly.  We ask politely for them to use it. "If you don't like the way I play, go wait in another hour queue lol"

It was so bad, man. :(  Why?

That sounds pretty horrible. And it's hard enough keeping enmity WITH a stance atm. I'm hoping lv70 WAR is more fun than what's being offered as lv60 WAR, because right now, I wouldn't tell someone to play it.

I've no doubt this sentiment has been said here before ad nauseam, but shout out to all the healers who insist you as a tank "Pull more!" then after you pull the exact number you know you can survive, they run and get more, killing everyone. Thanks, guy.

As a SCH, I've always been of the mind of having the tank pull as much as they're comfortable with. Doubly so in SB since they seem a bit extra squishy. But it also heavily requires said tank to be aware of how much they can pull.

While I tend to not pull more things, I have seen tanks who pull far too much. Or pull a decent amount and refuse to use their defensive cooldowns. Or surprise me with a huge pull (which also tends to happen when I'm out of Aetherflow stacks) and so they die because I couldn't respond in time to the sudden increased influx of damage.

... So yeah, you can find problem folk across all roles. And it's never fun to meet any of them.

... So yeah, you can find problem folk across all roles. And it's never fun to meet any of them.

Aye, would never claim otherwise. I actually play all three -- DPS, tank, healer all, in that order -- so I've seen this happen from every angle. But this is my current personal gripe, so I griped.

Fair enough!

Speaking of current gripes, then. And it's actually not about dungeons or content or anything like that.

I recently made my alt on Mateus to have it to RP there and to see for myself how insane the XP bonus is (it's redonk, if you're curious). As such, I had /shout chat turned on in Ul'dah... and for almost all my time in that city I was hearing people complain about Balmung and how terrible and toxic and horrible it is (and full of nothing but ERP and drama, apparently).

I mean, really guys. You're going to find terrible people everywhere, on any server and in any decently sized group of people in general. Let's not make it an Us vs. Them situation like what happened with Gilgamesh. We're all RPers, we all are here to have fun and goof around with our pretend-times on the Interwebs. Let's not introduce even more drama by drawing unnecessary lines in the sand.

I've already said my bit on this issue so I'll copy-paste my reply from another thread: 

Mateus already has a great community. Those people are an annoying, vocal minority. Emphasis on the minority. 

I have and will continue to defend Balmung -- ask pretty much any LS I've been involved with on any of my characters, and I defended it in this very thread too -- but it's getting a bit, no, extremely tiresome to see Mateus' people feeling obligated to come here and repeat over and over (and over and over) again that most of us don't behave this way. 

It isn't a one way street. Not in the slightest. 

I have no shortage of stories about obnoxious Balmung people already, people who log on Mateus and demand in map chat we "give them a reason" to stay, as if we're some lowly last resort who must prove our worth to any complete stranger from The Real RP Server who graces us with their presence. This is not something I saw once. I have personally encountered it four times now and have heard of other incidents. 

There people here on the forums who needlessly dismiss us with words like "temporary" or come off as incredibly condescending, intentionally or not, to our efforts. 

And frankly, we have gotten our fair share of what I'm going to blatantly deem attention whores from Balmung. I don't mean the people helping us out by running events. I mean the ones who realize the community is smaller and more opportunities are available, so they roll an alt, start an FC, LS, and/or plot(s), then go back to Balmung and only return to Mateus when they need their next fix of the spotlight that for whatever reason they're not getting there. Then they have the audacity to boast they are "helping" us when it is painfully obvious their motives are self-centered. It comes off akin to people who post cringe-worthy paragraphs about BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE!!!1 on Facebook each time they hand a homeless person a sandwich. 

Some transfers to Mateus are just salty former Balmung people who had one bad thing happen to them and now they trash the server. But there are plenty of people who have either been on Mateus a long time or started there and even though I don't support their bashing, I have come to understand why they might do so whereas I didn't before. 

I have and will continue to take the "Can we not?" approach when the Balmung hate starts to stir, but I think a lot of transfers or people looking in from the outside are completely clueless as to the nonsense we have to deal with from the other side.

Hell, in this very thread, after the OP had apologized, people still jumped down her throat. Because Balmung.

I don't mean to ruffle feathers but it's starting to feel as if our valid grievances are being completely overlooked or simply ignored by large margin of people who keep complaining about our Balmung-hate while consistently failing to mention all the good things about us, of which there are many. Most don't even seem to give themselves the time to find the good to begin with. Some don't seem to want to find it and are just looking for "Mateus hates Balmung u gais!" fodder.

If you ask me, that attitude is no less divisive and it's about time we acknowledge it instead of just creating an echo chamber of why Mateus is a bunch of meanies who are shooting themselves in the foot.

Oh, I don't have a negative view on Mateus at all and was fairly certain it was - as you said - a vocal minority situation. I tend to turn off shout-chat anyway just because there's been very little there that has been worth leaving it on for, especially in the cities. This was just a new one that just had me shaking my head a little.

... And my view on avoiding the Us vs. Them applies to both sides of the table. Just as I don't like seeing people dig at Balmung on Mateus, so too should Balmung not get all up in arms about Mateus. Both are offering wonderful RP opportunities and having them both isn't somehow "hurting" either side at all, despite what people might think.

I'm looking forward to hunting for some RP on Mateus once I get my little toymaker up to speed. Though I suppose the biggest "issue" will be juggling characters cross-server. I might have to go even more on the "scheduled RP times" for the guy, but I'm willing to see how it plays out. :thumbsup:

Thought I'd do some dungeons for the stupid anima whatever quest for my dumb 60 BLM and I get this ding dong in DF:

tumblr_inline_os8ca7ft9a1rxci4d_540.png

Please don't be #2 here. Just don't! I promise you, you will have a better time if you aren't That Person.

Thanks, folks in the TA linkshell for letting me kind of vent at yall, but this kind of thing really gets my goat.

The SCH did fantastic in any case, zero wipes or deaths.

Been itching for my Lakshmi EX clear and it's been ridiculous. Have spent hours and hours in PF and we keep failing on the same mechanic which requires the DPS to focus and avoid using dots on some adds.

*flailroflstomp*

But they don't. And when we get summoners? They don't pay attention to their egis which sometimes focuses on an add and will kill it before the time is right. Then it messes up the whole phase. 

Every.

Single.

Party.

Fails.

This.

Phase.

Pleasesaveme.