The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales

Gegenji

If it's pre-lv50 content or if I see newbie sprouts, I'll ask if they need something explained. If the people are suicidal mutes who sprint away when the circle drops, I do the following:

If I'm tanking and the healer/DPS decides they want to pull more, I let them keep it even if it's a problem. I'll even help them keep enmity on their pulls by using Shirk.

Likewise, if I'm healing and a DPS has decided to run past the tank and pull things, I won't focus on keeping that DPS alive unless the tank picks up the mobs.

I have no problem with letting an impatient group wipe a few times just to really rile them up because they needed to show off a big number or tried to stress the group past their limits.

• 2 weeks later...

Twice today I had started typing regarding who wanted to main tank and off tank and the other tank just ran off and pulled. Fine ... I guess you're main tanking but it would have been nice to say so.

I've been noticing this often too. Though I'm starting to understand there's a lingo to it, for having certain stances on/off to determine what the person wants to do. If the other tank has the offensive stance, I assume he wants to be OT, if he has the defensive, I assume he wants to MT. If we both happen to arrive in the instance and have the same stance, I take a minute and see if they change, if they don't, I swap to the other and go with it or I'll ask... Usually I ask if we're both in offensive stance or I'll even say "can you MT/OT?" if I have a preference at the time.

I'll admit though that I've had times where an instance is so short that I don't bother asking. I'll just swap asap and have at it cuz it's gonna be over in 2 minutes anyways. Like if I enter something and the other tank has OT stance like me, I'll just swap to MT and go right for it to make things quick. You're right though, some common courtesy would be nice.

My tank is still in the stage of getting used to 8 person stuff and is still not sure exactly what to do as the off tank, so I guess I want to talk it over more at the beginning.

Shinryu requires you to share Akh Morn w/ MT.

Susanoo requires you to pop orbs before they reach your party.

Gilgamesh/Enkidu and Ultros/Typhon should be kept separated.

Those are some non-adds mechanics to keep in mind.

It's a bit of a smaller gripe than the usual stuff but, I figure it's worth mentioning:

If you can't type quickly, please don't try to do it in the middle of combat. Especially if it's something that will spark more conversation (like a critique or complaint). I've had a couple instances now where someone, user a healer, decides they need to speak up about something - which is fair and there's nothing wrong with it - but they prioritize it over keeping the tank up as they stand there motionless.

And it doesn't really help the situation when the writing that you felt was more important than healing is something incensing and/or degrading. Then not only did you let people die, then you're just rubbing salt in the wound as you berate the people you failed to keep up.

Or, in a different role... you get tanks who decide to have a full dissertation over something and we're stuck waiting for him to wrap up before we can continue. Or a DPS or two that feel that being chatty (usually in a negative way, it's not quite so bad when folks are being friendly but I feel there's still a limit there) is more important than doing damage or avoiding AoE damage and the like.

I won't even act like I haven't tried sometimes and miscalculated my typing speed. But usually in those cases I usually cancel out of what I'm trying to say and save it for after! :(

In my case, the most recent incident was a healer that felt the need to tell people how they should be running the dungeon was more important than keeping them up through said dungeon. And during boss fights. So while he's trying to lecture us, the tank keeps dropping and then we wipe while the healer stands there typing at his leisure. Good times. :frustrated:

If you can't type quickly, please don't try to do it in the middle of combat.

Basically if you can't type helpful, reassuring statements in a timely manner such as "Heal me asshole.", "Eat the fucking fruit you useless turd of a chocobo." or my absolute favorite - "Go faster tank! We need to go fast because I was not smart and queued for a dungeon when I have to go to work in twenty minutes!" then don't type while in combat! But if you can type fast enough, remember to be the most kind, constructive, and understanding teammate that you can possibly be! :D

... Not gonna lie, the person that queues up and then forces us to rush due to their poor time management is a personal... "favorite." Along with the ones who queue up and then immediately bail because a FATE popped or something. Or just bailing because the roulette you picked gave you a dungeon you don't like - those people who immediately drop from Trial of the Steps, Toto-Rak, or Aurum Vale, I'm looking at you. I think it's just a general ire of "don't queue for something you aren't willing to commit to."

Though, I can't act like I'm above all that. I've done it a bit myself, but it was mainly just Mentor roulette because of synced Ramuh EX and the like. And when they required the Warring Triad EXes be cleared and included those on there... yeaaaaah... I haven't bothered re-unlocking Mentor roulette.

Anyway, getting to another irk of mine that got brought up recently: rezzers/supportive players that don't get their props. It's a bit of an ego thing, to be sure... but if I, as a Red Mage turn a raid from a wipe into a victory by rezzing both healers and one of the tanks... would it kill you to throw a commend my way? Even better when I'm using that one role action that hands off MP to the healer so they can get back in the fight and spend the rest of the attempt basically running on empty.

I think people either just insta-lock commend either one of the tanks or healers, or just don't commend at all. So it just seems like it sends a bad message when you do damage control like that and don't even get a "thanks" in party chat. I mean, I understand if you think it's something that should expected, but would it kill to be a little polite about it?

Maybe there's a reason SMNs and RDMs don't seem to use their in-combat rezzes in roulettes. That kindness has been abused and assumed to the point that people just don't bother anymore. :(

I think the probability of players using support skills is inversely proportional to the utility of said skill.

Which explains why everyone uses fucking Peloton for some reason. Instead of actual useful skills like Palisade, Goad and manashift and whatnot.

I think the probability of players using support skills is inversely proportional to the utility of said skill.

Which explains why everyone uses fucking Peloton for some reason. Instead of actual useful skills like Palisade, Goad and manashift and whatnot.

Well, to be fair, the Ranged DPS role actions aren't all that amazing. Not to excuse my using of Peloton (which I abuse a bunch just because gotta go fast), but I'm still running both the MP and TP Refresh on top of that. I think my full load out is... Peloton, Tactician, Refresh, Second Wind, and Invigorate.

... I suppose i could put Palisade on there, but that's one of those abilities I actually forget to use. Much like the heal boost move for the Healer role actions (I just run Esuna instead at this point). However, Goad and Manashift and them I can and do use frequently because those are things where it's pretty easy to see "Oh, X is low on MP/TP."

I just get a little bit miffed when I Dualcast a rez on a healer, Manashift them MP so they can actually get back in the game, and not even get a modicum of acknowledgement for it. Especially when doing so on a frequent enough basis (I, no lie, had a Exdeath run where I had to rez people no less than six times... probably more) that I'm basically running dry on MP because I've spent it all keeping everyone else on their feet.

Feels bad, man.

Also, I usually figure out who I'm commending during the course of the instance. Or at least drop people off the list for doing things like pulling instead of the tank and the like. Sometimes it's a bit more petty than that, I'll admit. Sometimes it can just be if the party member rubs me the wrong way.

... Or it could be like when I was running Sohm Al yesterday! I was on MCH on the second boss and used the LB to both kill the green Chime of the Mountain and hit the boss at the same time. And our SAM threw a fit for me "wasting an LB."

You know, when they were too busy tunnel-visioning the boss and that LB is the only thing that kept the Chime from detonating on us since no one else but me was DPSing it. Like, seriously, we were cutting it so close to killing it in time that I thought we had failed and it was gonna pop on us. :(

I often choose the person to commend by the person who actually stayed around long enough afterwards lol.

That's how I get commends, I stick around while a lot of people rush to leave, so the others left over just pick me because I'm there. I get a decent amount of comms that way.

I usually hung around in the Omega raids (and most raids in general along with some trials, really) because there was always someone who wanted to try and be tricksy and hold off on rolling on the drops to see if they could get people upset enough to leave so they could roll uncontested. It never really worked and I don't know why people waste other people's time like that.

Yesterday I had to do maps with people who made fun of my coconut tapioca starch cookies, my pronunciations of Miqo'te, and my desire to eat crabs when the map spawns had a batch of crabs each time.

:<

5172234150554885649253Faccount_id253D1.png

:<

DG-Crab.jpg

Now *this* is unforgivable!

It's utterly terrible. You're running a 5-man Canals run, trying to eat a cookie while thinking of crabs, and to top it off a ton of those mobs are incredibly annoying to kill as a Samurai AOEing.

Also, elephant mob dropped a ton of times and I had to stop eating the cookies!

They tried to blame the cookies for the troll doors! :<

• 1 month later...

I hate people who are rude. No matter what you don't like about what I'm doing I don't deserve to be called a retard.

And last time I checked I wasn't the fucking tank, so yelling at me for not leading the enemy to the right place is stupid. DXXX

• 1 month later...

OH! I have a few good ones from the last day. 

1.) So I have been working on one of my alts and she is at Baelsar wall. Going as an AST, my second favorite healing class. Most of the dungeon was okay, tank was hesitating a bit in big pulls (which I don't like) but we got thru it. I did die at the end of the 2nd boss because phone was going off, but not biggie - it was almost dead. SO Mostly went smooth. TIL we got to the last boss. 

I died to chain. Tank was all like "Watch your footing". I politely told him I did not die to AOE's I died because I was not broken out of the change. 2ND time (was not broken out again) Tank: HEALER WE NEED YOU. Me: We need to break me out of the chain then. 3RD time..guess what..died in the chain AGAIN. Tank is just like WOW at this point. (not sure if it was directed at me or the dps at this point) 4TH Finally cleared. At least I got 2 comms. 

2.) So I am running a 24 man raid. I started to notice very quickly that my co-healer was doing absolutely nothing. Not even healing herself. SO I get a little petty and just stop healing her. She almost died, but finally at least healed herself.  For funsy I just start to watch what she is doing. She medica 2 twice and did like 6 stone 3. Finally someone else called it to attention and she started to cast cure 2. (Though I am not sure anyone actually needed it) It was a bit irksome. I don't mind someone not dpsing as a healer if they just aren't comfy with it for whatever reason. But to particularly AFK a whole raid - not cool yo.

Paladins that seem to think Circle of Scorn is something that is a ranged attack (akin to Shadow Flare and the like). 

Seemingly every paladin in dungeon groups nowadays likes to pull with Circle of Scorn... which is fine and all... but they do it at a range that none of the enemies actually get hit. I've actually had to re-read the tooltip myself to make sure it didn't say anything about a launched attack or some such. "nearby enemies" seems clear enough to me. *shrug*

Needless to say, such pulling is quite troublesome with regard to threat... and makes me twitch every time I see it.

Lazy tanks that don't shield lob / tomahawk / unmend to pull and that just like to go in the middle of the pull to throw their first AoE move. Half of the time it's mess because they miss some.

Have seen a lot of those recently.

Lazy tanks that don't shield lob / tomahawk / unmend to pull and that just like to go in the middle of the pull to throw their first AoE move. Half of the time it's mess because they miss some.

Have seen a lot of those recently.

I've done that. Not because I was lazy, but because I ran into them too fast and just started flashing.