Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone)

Kage

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lunch or dinner for two!

YS5UmbZ.jpg

In this is baby corn, shiitake mushrooms, straw mushrooms, noodles, soy sauce and thinly sliced beef (for hot pot/shabu shabu or grilling)

The noodles featured here are bean thread noodles. Soaked in hot water while draining the baby corn, mushrooms and cleaning/prepping the shiitake mushrooms.

Heat a sautee pan and when getting hot add a little EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil). Added the drained noodles, soy sauce, and veggies. The sauce will reduce a bit. Remove the noodles from the pan, add a little more soy sauce (can add some water if it tastes too salty), and the beef. Once the beef is cooked, top the noodles plate!

Does anyone have fideos or good clams recipes that you have personally used or have made?

I've always been interested in fideos since I watched Top Chef Season 2 but coming from "not really having had foods other than Chinese foods and Mexican fast food or olive garden" until college menat I've never been exposed to fideos.

Also, I fucking love clams so throw them at me.

May I say how much I love this thread? And Steel... OMG!!! Where are you and how do we get together to eat?! :P

If you want something super easy and not terribly expensive to make try Italian Wedding Soup! I live with three men and they eat it up! It's nice for those cold days in the winter because it's good and buttery without the butter. Please forgive the lack of true measurements. I'm Italian, we don't measure anything. 

Also, word of warning, this makes a LARGE pot. 

Italian Wedding Soup

Ingredients:

Bag of meatballs either beef or turkey (Or you can make your own. I buy the giant bag of it Italian Style meatballs and use every bit of them. My guys won't let me even think about turkey so I don't know how well that actually works)

Spinach (I use the large box but it depends on the eaters you have)

Mushrooms (Traditionally doesn't have mushrooms in it but we all like them so I add them)

Minced Garlic (We use a lot but go with what works for you)

Chicken Bullion (I use a full jar of the Better Than Bullion you can get from Walmart but this is going to be to taste. I really like the flavor so I put a lot in it)

Italian Seasoning (To taste)

Crushed Red Pepper (Optional and to taste)

2 bags of Acini De Pepe (This is a little pebble type pasta. I've found them at Walmart and Publix)

How To:

Fill a large stock pot (or two) with water. Put in your chicken bullion, minced garlic and Italian seasoning. If you like it a little spicy, you can add some crushed red pepper. Bring to boil, tasting periodically to make sure your soup is how you like it.

Once happy with the taste, add your (thawed) meatballs. You can pre-fry these in a pan with a little olive oil if you like your meatballs to have a little crunch. Let this cook for 10 or so minutes in the boiling water, just enough to get them heated through. From there add your mushrooms and then spinach to wilt. You can now put on simmer or super low to keep warm.

In a separate pot boil water for your pasta. Cook as directed, usually around 5 minutes. Once done, drain and then rinse with cold water. This pasta absorbs even after it's been cooked so shocking it a little will help prevent too much absorption. Put back in pot.

Your meal is complete! You can scoop out separately or mix all together. Your choice. Just remember the pasta will still absorb some of the liquid so don't be surprised if you have no soup the next morning if you add the pasta while the soup is still fairly warm. Trust me... I was shocked the first time I had forgotten to shock it and just mixed... We had yummy pasta though! :P

Hope you all enjoy!

I may or may not be thinking of a clam bake either.

Ooh. Pit or pot method? Either way, skip the crayfish and go with shell-on shrimp, mussels, and (if you have the money for it) a lobster or two. And seaweed. 

*is from New England and grew up on clam bakes*

Really, though, you only need four or five items to enjoy clams. Clams (of course), water and/or beer, onions, and butter. Fill a large pot, stock pot, or steamer pot with an inch or so of water and/or beer -- you don't need to cover the clams with the liquid in order to cook them. Peel and chop onions into fourths, drop into pot. Carefully add clams to the pot, cover and bring to a boil. Cook for five to ten minutes or until shells pop wide open. Reserve some of the broth in a bowl, strain the clams (discarding any that haven't opened up) and spread them out on a table covered with a few layers of newspaper. Remove whole clam from shell, remove the... uhh... skin, give the clam a quick rinse in the bowl of broth, dip it in some melted butter, and get it in your mouth before it drips everywhere.

And if you've bought your clams from a store/market, don't worry about purging/cleaning them. They've already gone through that process. If you collect your own, put them in a bucket of sea water from where you gathered them and let them sit in it for several hours in a cool, dark place. Purging in fresh/tap water will kill your clams prematurely and result in more bad, unopened ones, and adding table salt won't make it 'sea water' enough. And cornmeal doesn't help purge.

My plan is to do the stock pot stove top method ><;

Potatoes, Clams. Layer of seafood. unshelled Shrimp. and maaaybeeee two lobster.

What kind of seaweed would you recommend?

Aromatics/seasoning: Onions, garlic, butter, cayenne, paprika, a jalapeno or two

The pot method is perfectly acceptable these days -- a lot of the beaches have banned firepits/campfires, and at home no-one really wants to dig a hole in their backyard.

Anyways. Rockweed is sort of the go-to seaweed for this since it's so abundant and easy to gather back home, but kelp will work too (and is good for wrapping up cuts of a firm white fish or scallops to add to the bake). Just make sure that if you're collecting it yourself, you're getting it from a clean source. Use the seaweed or kelp to line the pot and to separate the layers of ingredients. You CAN skip it if it's too much of a hassle or don't want that extra seaweedy flavor.

Also, don't forget the beer. You don't need anything fancy, we just used whatever was on hand and being drunk... so probably with my family, it was mostly Budweiser.

What if... I don't drink beer >.>

omfg white fish. OR SCALLOPS. :DDD

Well... if you're against beer altogether, you can skip it in favor of chicken, vegetable, or seafood stock. If I remember correctly, some friends of the family used some mix of stock and vermouth when they made it for their hotel/inn. If it's just a case where you don't typically have beer hanging around, I know some stores sell single cans/bottles.

The idea is that you don't want to use plain water for the steaming broth. I'd guess that maybe a white wine of some sort would work too.

I don't drink beer either (I drink very little alcohol because I have no tolerance for it), so I don't really know the difference between the types. Budweiser and various flavors of Sam Adams (now that I'm really thinking about it) are the two types I see the most around the campfires and barbecues with my family, and we always just used "what was on hand".

... The food pron in this thread is STRONG.

I looked inside when I shouldn't have and now my tummy is grumbling. I'm no chef, but I RP one!

So every now and then I like to try out recipes I find online. Mostly good youtube video cooks. I thought I would toss some of my spur of the moment creations up there. YESSSSS I USE PAPER PLATES...

lol... this is now officially my favorite thread on the entire site.

BF wouldn't stop singing the song, so I had to urge to make these one day. BaconPancakes.

baconpancakes.jpg

My green pepper and onions smothered Porkchops, I hadn't made the gravy yet and once I did, I totally forgot to take a picture and it got eaten.

photobucket-1913-1325873453301.jpg

Easy to make little mini strawberry cream cakes. (Most stores have these plain little yellow cakes but you can also make them yourself. Strawberries set in a bit of sugar and their own juice and chilled, whipped cream topping.

photobucket-2002-1324857626033.jpg

My cousin always tries to make some baked goods for me since I nicknamed her Cookie. She made this lil gingerbread house last xmas from one of those gingerbread house kits. I know it looks a lil crazy but it was still tasty!

photobucket-1561-1325107847055.jpg

Mild cheddar spaghetti and meatballs, green pepper burgers. (Yes I LOVE GREEN PEPPERS.)

1908315_1410785055869351_6672661308969821361_n.jpg

Toasted white bread turkey club sandwich with a pickle. This sandwich only survived 1 shot then I ate it after putting on facebook like the Food pron lover I am.

10309510_1410785052536018_1158673929550118957_n.jpg

Rosemary Garlic baked turkey wings with white rice and baked beans. (YES I used boil in a bag rice! Sue me!)

10341568_1410785059202684_4877000529888346069_n.jpg

If you want some recipes, feel free to msg me! <3

... The food pron in this thread is STRONG.

I looked inside when I shouldn't have and now my tummy is grumbling. I'm no chef, but I RP one!

So every now and then I like to try out recipes I find online. Mostly good youtube video cooks. I thought I would toss some of my spur of the moment creations up there. YESSSSS I USE PAPER PLATES...

lol... this is now officially my favorite thread on the entire site.

BF wouldn't stop singing the song, so I had to urge to make these one day. BaconPancakes.

baconpancakes.jpg

My green pepper and onions smothered Porkchops, I hadn't made the gravy yet and once I did, I totally forgot to take a picture and it got eaten.

photobucket-1913-1325873453301.jpg

Easy to make little mini strawberry cream cakes. (Most stores have these plain little yellow cakes but you can also make them yourself. Strawberries set in a bit of sugar and their own juice and chilled, whipped cream topping.

photobucket-2002-1324857626033.jpg

My cousin always tries to make some baked goods for me since I nicknamed her Cookie. She made this lil gingerbread house last xmas from one of those gingerbread house kits. I know it looks a lil crazy but it was still tasty!

photobucket-1561-1325107847055.jpg

Mild cheddar spaghetti and meatballs, green pepper burgers. (Yes I LOVE GREEN PEPPERS.)

1908315_1410785055869351_6672661308969821361_n.jpg

Toasted white bread turkey club sandwich with a pickle. This sandwich only survived 1 shot then I ate it after putting on facebook like the Food pron lover I am.

10309510_1410785052536018_1158673929550118957_n.jpg

Rosemary Garlic baked turkey wings with white rice and baked beans. (YES I used boil in a bag rice! Sue me!)

10341568_1410785059202684_4877000529888346069_n.jpg

If you want some recipes, feel free to msg me!

Your stove/oven/countertop. ...it is identical to mine.

hi my name is kage and i am a fat lady who likes cats and food.

that stuff looks tasty.

I have a question for people who may or may not make spaghetti meat sauce using stuff like the Prego sauce or whatever.

If I do not add ketchup or sugar I find that the sauce is really... well quite acidic. Are there other ways you may or may not have gotten around this?

(Also, leave spaghetti and sauce together or keep it separate? :D? )