Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone)

Kage

2 pounds ground beef chuck

 1 pound bulk Italian sausage

 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained

 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce

 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice

 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

 1 large yellow onion, chopped

 3 stalks celery, chopped

 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped

 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped

 1 tablespoon bacon bits

 4 cubes beef bouillon

 1/2 cup beer (I like Murphy’s Stout, Guinness works well too)

 1/4 cup chili powder

 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

 1 tablespoon minced garlic

 1 tablespoon dried oregano

 2 teaspoons ground cumin

 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce ( I like to use Franks or Texas Pete)

 1 teaspoon dried basil

 1 teaspoon salt

 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

 1 teaspoon paprika

 1 teaspoon white sugar

 1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos - optional

 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.

2. Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

3. After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.

4. To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips and shredded Cheddar cheese

So I'll be making this chili recipe soon.

People who drink beer... if I can't find these beer brands, what should I look for? :V

Guiness is a stout. And is at most supermarkets and Bevmos (locally)

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please....if that recipe isn't a family secret, please share. (Or if there's a good public one...)

it's not, its a legit hungarian recipe, but not secret (my great-grandma moved to the us from hungry) i didn't post it earlier cause i was out doing stuff and checking the rpc on my phone so i'm more than happy to share it now. my homemade bbq sauce will be kept secret tho xD

grandma's hungarian töltött káposzta

3lb hamburg

1/2 - 3/4 cup rice (instant because lazy but i'm sure if you want to precook regular rice, that would work too o3o)

1 large onion, diced

1 tsp salt

dash of pepper

1 tbs paprika (ima take a moment and do some shameless marketing because i'm picky about my paprika; budapest's best is the kind i try to keep handy otherwise stuff just tastes a bit off to me when i add it....which i usually add paprika to almost everything....)

1 tsp poultry seasoning

1 large head cabbage

1 can sauerkraut

1 large can of tomato juice

place head of cabbage in boiling. soften leaves just enough to remove and work with.

mix everything but the sauerkraut, tomato juice and cabbage together then place just enough meat mixture in leaves to roll up in cabbage rolls. in either a large stovetop pot/lid or crockpot, add the can of sauerkraut to the bottom of the pan, layer cabbage rolls on top of each other after adding sauerkraut. pour the can of tomato juice over all of it and add enough water if need be to finish covering the cabbage rolls; keep on simmer until done (bout 3-4 hours by stove, possibly a little longer if going the crockpot route. this is one of those great "make it early and leave all day" crockpot dishes. :3 ) the of course make mashed potatoes as regular to have on the side.

this dish can also be tweaked to make stuffed peppers (not a fan of green peppers myself so never made it) but you don't add the sauerkraut and cabbage....not sure how many peppers to use since i've never made it but be sure to hull them (cut open the top and remove seeds) then put the meat mix in there before putting it all in a pot and covering with the juice.

I do lazy pasta. Boxed Spaghetti and store bought sauce with ground beef and seasonings.

Or more recently, Buitoni pasta with alfredo or marinara sauces and seasonings T_T;

I miss my cooking days but cleaning = time away from FFXIV >>

xD well now i don't feel quite so bad for basically doing the same thing when we have pasta night....and you're right cleaning after dinner is awful and takes time away from very important stuff >|

Can I talk sushi for a moment?

I just love sushi...and I wish I lived in a place that wasn't near horrifyingly polluted lakes, because I really REALLY wish I could buy my own sashimi-grade fish and learn how to roll my own maki and zushi and just eat me some pretty, delicious raw fishies.

That's the one worst part about the area that I live in...getting to good sushi is a 40 minute drive for me at minimum. Surrounded by apple orchards and microbreweries, but barely any sashimi to be found.

Sorry, I had to whine.

If you were in the Los Angeles/Orange County area of California I would bring you to a decently priced sushi place. AYCE.

The problem eating there? How am I supposed to get the rice cause the fish portion is so big?

That's sweet as hell of you, but I'm in central New York...so not only in location but in climate, I couldn't be further removed from Orange County unless I was on Mars.

...I miss you, sushi... :<

Just making it...it looks like an art. Like there's focus and care and attention required to put even basic-ass zushi together, let alone the more elegant rolls. I've never rolled rice before, or worked with nori. I'd love to learn to, though.

Someday...

I don't think I'll ever bake a cake in the oven again.

54fb90df22c39212ce2ee0f2.jpg

My husband and I have been in a hotel room for just under a week now while we wait for a new truck, so we've been able to do a lot more when it comes to cooking than normal. Last night we were both in a mood for cake, but 1) it was late at night and 2) the good bakeries in town are in places we can't get to with a bobtail semi. This morning, he saw something on Facebook in a trucker-related group about cooking banana bread in lunchbox ovens and rice cookers, and asked me if I thought I could do the same with a cake. So, I gave it a try with a basic cake mix that I was able to pick up at Walmart.

The downside: It takes a while, and you have to keep turning on the rice cooker. The FB group said to cook the banana bread on "Steam" mode in a rice cooker, but the steam mode on mine only works for five or so minutes at a time. So I switched to "White Rice". This took just about three cycles to do (almost an hour and a half once I realized that steam mode wouldn't work), the FB group warned that it could take up to five cycles on steam mode so I think this was an improvement.

The upside: Ohmygodsit'ssomoistanddense..! The end result is very similar to what I remember my great-grandparent's steamed puddings to be like. My husband described it at "sponge-y", and actually said the frosting was unnecessary -- he would've been happy with just a bit of powdered sugar.

Method:

-- Prepare cake batter (again, I used a basic chocolate mix from Walmart).

-- Spray the inside of the interior pan with non-stick spray (possibly unnecessary if the interior pan is already non-stick, I just didn't want to chance a mess). Do not flour.

-- Pour in batter. The cake will rise a lot, so you want to fill the pan no more than halfway.

-- Place interior pan into cooker, and turn on the cooker. If you have multiple settings, use "White Rice".

-- Allow cooker to finish first cycle, open to check for done-ness. Likely they won't be done, but check anyways. It'll likely be puffed up, but still rather liquid-y.

-- Reset cooker, and let it run for another cycle. Check again, though again likely won't be done yet. Mine started looking a little set around the sides at this point.

-- Reset cooker again. About halfway through the cycle, check. This is when mine started really looking cooked around the edges, but the middle was still very liquid. I checked again at five minutes before the cycle ended, and at this point the center was set and sprung back when touched.

-- If needed, reset cooker yet again. Check every five or so minutes; you only want to cook until the center sets and springs back

-- Remove interior pan, let it cool on the counter for fifteen-twenty minutes before taking it out of the pan. Getting it out of the pan should be easy-easy, just tip it upside down and the cake should slide right out.

When I get off the truck in a few months, I'm totally trying this again with a homemade cake batter recipe. Vanilla cake with strawberries and peaches... and some whipped cream...

So I found this lovely YouTube user called RunnyRunny999...just a really lovely Japanese man showing how to make a bunch of nice Japanese dishes.

I have to sit and write things down to convert his measurements from metric to standard, or at least try to eyeball his amounts to a close approximation....but despite that, his stuff looks great.

Check him out. Or, if anyone else has any good YT chefs they can recommend, I'd be all about it. :3

So I found this lovely YouTube user called RunnyRunny999...just a really lovely Japanese man showing how to make a bunch of nice Japanese dishes.

I have to sit and write things down to convert his measurements from metric to standard, or at least try to eyeball his amounts to a close approximation....but despite that, his stuff looks great.

Check him out.  Or, if anyone else has any good YT chefs they can recommend, I'd be all about it.   :3

I'm subscribed to him as well! He's super sweet and very polite. And his cute accent is d'aww~ Like him a lot. <3

A very underrated YT cooking duo I'd like to spotlight is Brothers Green Eats. They come up with a lot of creative ways to use and/or combine ingredients you may not have thought of before... or cook things using methods you may not have thought of. They've been on TV a couple of times before, as well (Chopped, Rachel Ray, and were hosts of some MTV food special). Very fun to watch.

Here's a list of other cooking channels I follow that're a bit more popular:

SORTED Food - Four lovable British blokes!

Entertaining with Beth - Does a lot of French-inspired cooking and party-friendly recipes.

Food Wishes - Funny chef with straightforward recipes and a wide range of cuisine types.

Bondi Harvest - Also underrated. Aussie chef who does a good handful of organic and/or nutrient-rich recipes.

Hellthy Junk Food - Makes a lot of recipes that will KILL YOU if you eat them every day... But some of them are fun experiments I think he and his girlfriend pulled off well. He also reviews things occasionally. His sense of humor may be a hit or miss.

Gennaro Contaldo - ADORABLE professional Italian chef. If you don't love this guy, I will eat a hat. He's pretty much the Italian uncle or grandpa everyone wants... even if they don't know they want one yet.

...I'd add more, but we'd be here all day. I... I really like food channels, okay?!

Has anyone tried something like this?

"Shakshouka": Poached Eggs in Tomato Sauce, on Toast

baked-eggs-in-tomato-sauce-1-1.jpg

I keep seeing this recipe on a food blog, and I love a good tomato sauce and I love poached eggs, and I eat eggs more commonly as a savory/lunch-or-dinner item than a sweet breakfast one... and it's something I can make in the rice cooker. I'm just curious if anyone's tried something along these lines already.

• 1 month later...

I just got home from my brothers confirmation. I am tired and fat. We had meringue cakes, almond-vanilla cookies, chocolate chip cookies, homemade icecream with vanilla and chocolate pieces.. And then we had this glorious, glorious thing.. 

11174437_10153291384233901_6311061619534861574_o.jpg

Brownies and strawberries. Soft and almost liquid on the inside. Topped with confectioners sugar.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could even eat some of the dark chocolate sweets people have.

Another dish I love but is not easy to just cook myself..

Taiwanese Beef (tendon) Noodle Soup.

I prefer tendon because it's so tasty.

beef-noodle-soup.jpg

The best ones are when you get noodles that are essentially called "knife shaved" noodles. Big, wide. Mmmmm ; ;

img_7430.jpg

img_0831.jpg

The pickled sour mustard that goes with. NNGHHH!!

Husband and I are on Atkins currently...its been 2 months now.

That means: no carbs (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes), no sugars (which actually eliminates some vegetables such as carrots, squash, peas). 

I'm definitely in a rut. I'm getting tired of bacon and eggs every morning, and some version of a salad every lunch. 

But...one of my favourite chicken dishes is:

Chicken breast stuffed with feta and spinach. 

Just sautee some spinach (I use a whole bag since it wilts down pretty quickly), with a small diced onion in butter or oil. Once it's cooked through and wilted, let it cool completely. 

Slice into a breast of chicken to make a pocket (Or if you're feeling fancy, you can pound it out and roll it with the filling inside). 

Crumble some feta into the spinach mixture, and stuff it into the pocket/chicken and roll it. 

Wrap in bacon. Because everything is fucking better with bacon. 

You can pan fry it, but makes sure to finish it in the oven to be sure it's cooked...I just oven roast mine.

Soooooo delicious, and easy. Definitely a good one if you want to impress someone.

Sorry to pry! I don't quite believe in diets like those; I'm just worried. How do you feel? light, energized? Tired?

Something really simple my mom taught me was a little EVOO, salt, pepper, ginger and swordfish. Poor something like black vinegar or soysauce and vinegar on it~ Yum.

Ohh sorry! ^^ I'm just wondering because I myself need to do better and so I've always felt "personal testimonies" were better than blogs or commercials. I apologize.

No carbs is mean ; ; I grew up on rice and noodles :(

6cQ03qs6BNI

I'm sorry Kage...I thought you were getting ready to ridicule/rant at me about the particular diet.

Basically I've lost 16lbs so far (been doing it two months), and my husband has lost around the same. I do feel good about it, but eating the same types of food over and over can be tedious, disappointing, and disheartening. 

We do have days where we allow ourselves special meals or things we miss, but I'd say that's once every 3 weeks or so.

ETA: Hnnnnghhhhhhhhhhhh noodles are so good v_v I'm a sucker for Asian cuisine.