Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone)

Kage

"Goth Pasta"

Drunken pasta! I make mine with grape tomatoes, chopped and wilted baby spinach, and feta cheese.

How do you get yours to be red, though? Mine always turns out bright purple, and a few of the people I've served it to were put off by it.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gmdpjwt.jpg

This is what I baked today :) Danish vanilla wreath cookies & marzipan-crunchies (Shortcrust pastry with marzipan in the middle, dipped half in chocolate ^_^) I'll get the recipes in when I find English versions xD

Drunken pasta! I make mine with grape tomatoes, chopped and wilted baby spinach, and feta cheese.

Oooo that sounds awesome too! I'm gonna have to try that out. I loves me some feta cheese, bein' half-Greek n' all. :3

How do you get yours to be red, though? Mine always turns out bright purple, and a few of the people I've served it to were put off by it.

I dunno, maybe it was the brand of wine? Unfortunately, I forgot the sort of wine I had used when I made it, but I remember it was from Australia I believe. I'll have to check the place I got that last bottle from and report back.

And if people are put off by drunken pasta then THAT'S THEIR FAILURE! /shakefist

I still find myself wanting to actually try making something for myself from time to time, but I have none of the tools and keep forgetting to ask folks what a "basic set" of cooking tools I should be getting if I want to try to start cooking for myself. Sauce pans? Skillets? Measuring spoons? Spices? WHAT DO!?

A premade pot set from Wal-mart will get you pretty far to start. You -can- go for the higher end sets if you feel the need, but I had a $30 set that did pretty well. A good cast-iron skillet is nice to have (read up on how to care/season/clean one) and works on the stovetop, in the oven, and on the grill/campfire. Lastly, I would suggest to eventually pick up an uncoated stainless-steel skillet, for cooking/searing anything at a high temp.

For cooking utensils, you want wood ones. They don't transfer heat (unless, y'know, you have a gas stove and leave them IN the flame but that's a slightly different problem), don't scratch the pots, and as long as you keep them clean they won't transfer/impart flavors. Bamboo is best, but the cheap ones at Wal-mart work too. Don't get the ones that are painted/varnished.

Measuring cups/spoons, get them for both wet and dry.

As for spices, the basics tend to be pepper, garlic (fresh and powder, not salt), basil, parsley, and oregano. The rest, you'll probably end up picking up eventually as well. 

Salt. While you may be tempted to buy the big, cheap canisters of, say, Morton's salt that will last you years, do yourself a favor and skip it... at least for cooking. As silly as it might sound, invest in the more expensive ones -- Fleur del sel, Celtic moist grey (my favorite), Himalayan pink, Hawaiian red, and flake. If you can't find these (though Himalayan pink is -really- popular right now and showing up even at Wal-marts), Kosher or regular sea salt will do. These more expensive salts, you can use up to half as less as you would with Morton's (or other iodized salts) to get the same flavor, and the varying trace minerals that give them their colours do impart a subtle flavor of their own. They're also healthier for you than the Morton's/iodized salts.

Also, a hammer that you can dedicate solely to kitchen use. Useful for cracking nuts/seeds/ice/sugar that's crystallized. And tenderizing meat.

Other things to have around:

Olive oil -- for both cooking and caring for cast iron skillets and other utensils that need to be oiled

Morton's/iodized salts -- for cleaning and deodorizing wooden utensils/cutting boards

Baking soda -- for cooking, cleaning, and deodorizing. Also works wonders as a scouring agent on pans that have no-stick surfaces that you don't want to scratch.

Lemon juice -- for cooking and cleaning. To sanitize microwave, mix 1 part lemon juice with 3 parts water, put in microwave safe dish, pop in microwave and heat on high until it fills microwave with steam. Shut off microwave, wait five minutes... wipe clean

Distilled white vinegar -- cooking and cleaning. Run it through a coffee maker every month to clean the system. Cleans stainless steel and glass without leaving streaks. Also good for treating minor burns, bug bites, and sunburns.

I dunno, maybe it was the brand of wine? Unfortunately, I forgot the sort of wine I had used when I made it, but I remember it was from Australia I believe.  I'll have to check the place I got that last bottle from and report back.

And if people are put off by drunken pasta then THAT'S THEIR FAILURE!  /shakefist

That's possible, however I'm fairly sure I've used different brands (and types) of red wine. Definitely let me know what you used, though! I have finicky eaters in my family (my brother-in-law actually threw a fit because I put cracker crumbles on top of baked macaroni and cheese, and was appalled that it wasn't icky orange cheese), so I'm always looking for ideas on how not to shock them.

I have nominated Franz to make me this chili recipe.

2 pounds ground beef chuck

 1 pound bulk Italian sausage

 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained

 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce

 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice

 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

 1 large yellow onion, chopped

 3 stalks celery, chopped

 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped

 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped

 1 tablespoon bacon bits

 4 cubes beef bouillon

 1/2 cup beer (I like Murphy’s Stout, Guinness works well too)

 1/4 cup chili powder

 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

 1 tablespoon minced garlic

 1 tablespoon dried oregano

 2 teaspoons ground cumin

 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce ( I like to use Franks or Texas Pete)

 1 teaspoon dried basil

 1 teaspoon salt

 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

 1 teaspoon paprika

 1 teaspoon white sugar

 1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos - optional

 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.

2. Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

3. After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.

4. To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips and shredded Cheddar cheese

I have nominated Franz to make me this chili recipe.

2 pounds ground beef chuck

 1 pound bulk Italian sausage

 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained

 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce

 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice

 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

 1 large yellow onion, chopped

 3 stalks celery, chopped

 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped

 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped

 1 tablespoon bacon bits

 4 cubes beef bouillon

 1/2 cup beer (I like Murphy’s Stout, Guinness works well too)

 1/4 cup chili powder

 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

 1 tablespoon minced garlic

 1 tablespoon dried oregano

 2 teaspoons ground cumin

 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce ( I like to use Franks or Texas Pete)

 1 teaspoon dried basil

 1 teaspoon salt

 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

 1 teaspoon paprika

 1 teaspoon white sugar

 1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos - optional

 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.

2. Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

3. After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.

4. To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips and shredded Cheddar cheese

Challenge accepted. Eventually

Is your body ready for this? Mine was.

3.jpg

Not my picture, but.. Carne asada fries. Fresh, homemade guacamole. Charcoal-grilled skirt steak. Jalapenos. Queso blanco. S'more damn jalapenos because I order extra. Sea-salted french fries. A dollop of sour cream. Boom! Now excuse me while I go for a run and not eat another thing for the rest of the day.

My only problem with the carne asada fries that I am exposed to in my area of Southern California is the fact that the fries aren't my favorite.

I fucking love steak fries. Or steak fries like fries. I don't like thin crispy ones. DRY AS HELL FRIES

l.jpg

I cut my own fries all the time, from steak fries to fast food fries to "chips" for fish and chips...I can't handle them any other way.

With that in mind...THE CARNE ASADA FRIES MUST GET INTO MY BODY.

I don't think I've ever wanted such a naughty meat inside of me since I saw the male Au Ra. :3

/shot by every arrow ever

Clicking on this thread while hungry was a horrible mistake.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've basically made it a point to ignore this thread until after lunchtime, then I can just be upset that I didn't have something quite as delicious-looking rather than drool hungrily over my keyboard.

Odile's home made chicken soup- Cheap to buy and long lasting!

1 whole stewing or frying chicken (cheaper than you think!)

2 potatoes

2 small turnips

3 carrots

1 leek

2 stalks celery

Thyme

Rosemary

Parsley

Garlic

Ginger

1 large Bayleaf

1 1/2 tbsp butter or margerine

Salt

Pepper

Optional: Mushrooms, tofu, pinch of saffron

Take that whole chicken and a knife.

Loosen up where the thighs and shoulders meet- but don't cut them off completely! You want it loose but not separated.

Next, take a big stock pot and fill it about 1/3 or 1/2 the way up with water.

Add your herbs and spices and a ton of salt- make it all to taste.

This includes your ginger and garlic. Mince both into pieces as small as you can.

If you don't have either, but have the "garlic salt"/"Ginger powder" stuff, that will work!

I just dump stuff in, so go with what you feel is right.

Set that to low just to heat the water up, and then shove the chicken in there.

Let this cook for about 30-60 minutes on low-medium heat.

Our stove runs hot, so go with a light rolling boil that won't expand over the pot top.

After your chicken is cooked completely, take it out!

Put that chicken in a bowl or container and put it in the fridge.

Trust me on this.

Cut up all your veggies.

I like mine to be a bit smaller than bite sized, but go with what you like!

Cut them all up, rinse them off in cool water, and then put them in the broth.

Let them cook for about 20-30 minutes.

In that time, check your chicken. Is it cool enough to handle? Good!

Put that sucker on your cutting board and start mauling it.

Tear it to shreds. Literally.

Put all the torn meat into a bowl.

Take the cooked skin and mince that up and add it to your bowl.

Take those bones and put them in a baggie and save them! They're still really good for soup stock! Much better- and cheaper -than the store bought stuff.

So you have a bunch of shredded meat and minced skin.

Dump that into your soup.

Add your tofu if you have some- chop that as you see fit.

Let it all boil for another 10 minutes, and done!

You have a delicious chicken soup perfect on its own or with noodles.

If you're like me and prefer to save leftovers, get some big freezer bags and pour your leftover soup in it.

Freeze.

It will be ready to re-heat when ever you need it- though, if you have added tofu, it will have a slightly different texture due to the freezing process.

Serves about 6-8 bowls worth of soup without noodles added.

Enjoy!

Remembered I didn't bomb the thread with New Year's food. 

Aside from alcohol, we cooked way too much.

note: these picures are massive and only cellphone-quality. You've been warned.

V0xVgsx.jpg

Fresh potstickers, beef stew and mashed potatoes featured above.

w9dGMtA.jpg

Some slow-cooked pork that was great with BBQ.

xcKwJkn.jpg

Fancy mac-and-cheese

fFSLIyp.jpg

Baked version. (Because some people like to have a crunchy cheese layer on top)

...and due to request, I'll be adding another picture of a Sacher Torte later.

This is one of my all-time favorite go-to dishes when I wish to feed an army and would like to have something different. It's a Filipino dish a friend of mine shared with me. Measurements for spices and soy sauce are approximate, since I tend to eyeball seasonings or go by taste. I'll post a picture later as I'm at work right now, but...

Pancit

recipe follows

INGREDIENTS

1 lb. pork tenderloin, cut into 1 in. cubes

1 lb. chicken, cut into 1 in. cubes (I prefer boneless skinless chicken thighs)

1 lb. medium shrimp, cleaned and shelled

1 small cabbage, shredded

approx. 2 cups carrot, shredded or cut into matchsticks

1 bunch scallions, chopped

approx. 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce, or to taste, or half soy half fish sauce

approx. 1 tsp. salt

approx. 1 tbsp. pepper

approx. 1 tbsp. garlic powder

approx. 1 tbsp. ginger

1 lb. package mi fun noodles (commonly found in stores as "rice vermicelli")

light cooking oil

Get a pot of water to boil and salt liberally.

In a very large skillet or large wok, coat bottom of cooking vessel and heat to medium. Add pork and chicken, season with salt and pepper and sauté until just changing color on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Add cabbage, scallions, carrot and soy sauce. Fold repeatedly with meat, making sure oil and juices from cooking coat the vegetables. Continue stirring and folding until cabbage wilts down, approx. 8-10 minutes. Season mixture with garlic powder and ginger, perhaps adding more pepper to taste.

While vegetables are cooking, drop mi fun noodles into boiling water, stirring with a pasta fork and let boil until just translucent and soft, about 3 minutes--these noodles cook very quickly. Drain noodles

Add shrimp and noodles to your skillet and toss together, coating noodles in soy sauce and cooking the shrimp until pink, approx. 5 minutes. Your noodles will very likely stick together, so use your stirring spoon and your pasta fork to spread the noodles apart and toss the mixture together, tangling it all together with the mi fun. Noodles will turn brown as they drink up the soy sauce.

Let sit for about 3 minutes and serve.