Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone)

Kage

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So... I need tips

My eyes are currently on fire because of red onions and their evil stupid ways. 

Anyone have ideas on how to cut an onion without having that?

Edit: I HAVE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE! DO NOT SCRATCH YOUR EYE OR EAR AFTER CUTTING UP A JALAPENO PEPPER! This is turning into the most painful dinner I've ever made...

So... I need tips

Edit: I HAVE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE! DO NOT SCRATCH YOUR EYE OR EAR AFTER CUTTING UP A JALAPENO PEPPER! This is turning into the most painful dinner I've ever made...

Ow ow ow ow ow!

I personally won't cut jalapenos without a latex glove!

As far as red onions go, there are a couple of things you can do. Your eyes burn because raw onions give off sulfur compounds when you cut them. These turn into dilute sulfuric acid in your mucus membranes. Some people swear by sticking a piece of bread in their mouths and breathing through that, but I haven't noticed any difference with that. You could stick the chopped onion right into a bowl of cold water. That way the sulfur gets trapped in the water, instead of your eyes.

So... I need tips

Two things you want to do every time you cut onions: use the SHARPEST knife you have, and do not cut any further down than 1/4 inch from the roots (1/3 inch is better, but you might think it's too wasteful). Less sulfur is released when you're able to make clean, crisp cuts, and the root area of the onion has a higher concentration of sulfur.

Cutting underwater does indeed work, though some people will argue that doing so leeches out some of the flavor. Chilling and/or freezing also works, but freezing can make it very difficult to achieve clean cuts and sulfur will be released when you end up hacking at the onion. Running a fan behind you sometimes also works, keeps the air moving so that less sulfur reaches you.

As for jalapenos and any other sort of pepper, sounds odd but first rinse your hands with milk as soon as you finish cutting, then use a paste of baking soda (or salt) to wash your hands with before rinsing with water as normal.

As for jalapenos and any other sort of pepper, sounds odd but first rinse your hands with milk as soon as you finish cutting, then use a paste of baking soda (or salt) to wash your hands with before rinsing with water as normal.

MILK... oh my gosh duh. Why did I never think of that! You are a genius Mae! :love:u:love:

So... I need tips

As silly as it may sound you may want to invest in some swimmer's goggles. So long as they fit your face snugly they'll completely eliminate the effect that onions and other similar ingredients have on your eyes.

All this talk reminds of of when I attempted to make sofrito for something.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sofrito-368030

... 4 and 1/3 onions. Pureed. I don't have a working blender, so I had to do it by hand with a grater. I survived. My ultra-sensitive to everything roommate refused to enter the apartment for an hour after I was done cooking...

I also remember certain people at your cooking events who cut jalapenos and then went I NEED TO RUB MY EYES.

:D

((By the way, if anyone has eaten stuff like seafood drenched in oils, spices and garlic, I've found that a rubbing sugary glob will help in taking the smell of garlic away. When you need to be professional and you don't want your hands smelling like food))

Also, there's a certain stuffed peppers recipe that I used to have the link to but I don't have it anymore... halp.

I also remember certain people at your cooking events who cut jalapenos and then went I NEED TO RUB MY EYES.

:D

((By the way, if anyone has eaten stuff like seafood drenched in oils, spices and garlic, I've found that a rubbing sugary glob will help in taking the smell of garlic away. When you need to be professional and you don't want your hands smelling like food))

Also, there's a certain stuffed peppers recipe that I used to have the link to but I don't have it anymore... halp.

What kinda stuffed peppers? "American" style, or the Chinese style? Anything you can remember about them?

When you need to be professional and you don't want your hands smelling like food

I see no downside to smelling like food. Heck, my whole apartment smelled like food when I was baking my brisket last weekend and it was wonderful. Minus the part where it made me really hungry, but I had the brisket for that!

When you work in a semiconductor manufacturing facility you don't want JPL, DLA, BOEING, NASA, etc... to think your hands aren't clean :c

The peppers were the American ones. With something like rice a roni in it.

Family Recipe back from the early web. I cheat a little and usually start the pepper boiling at the same time as filler, but it can be made in a single pot too, to conserve dishes. If extra filling is left, I recommend using it to hold the peppers in place by making a little mound in the baking dish. Easily a comfort food.

If you really wanna cheat on this, you can get a pasta/tomato sauce of choice and cook the meat/veggies/rice in it. Makes the prep work much shorter.

stuffed%20peppers.jpg

The underwater thing for cutting onions does work. And I don't believe it is taking any flavor away. And if it is then it's a perfectly acceptable trade of for me. Since I'm apparently very sensitive to the sulfur and can't cut them otherwise. Or even be in the neighboring room if someone else is doing the cutting.

Immersing cut onions in water does affect the flavor slightly, but the thing you have to realize is that just having cut onions sit in the air also affects their flavor. Onions are a very reactive food, and they start going "sour" on contact with the air after just a few minutes. I don't cut onions underwater (they don't bother me enough for me to bother with it), but I do put cut onions in a bowl of cold water if I'm not going to use them immediately. I'd imagine cutting them in water isn't any different.

For what it's worth, I think immersing onions doesn't do bad things to their flavor at all.

I never have trouble with peppers.. though I don't use anything hotter than seranos typically ^_^

I always feel that if you've got an onion that's making you teary, you've got yourself a good onion!!

Heat small amount of olive oil.  Add diced garlic and jalapeno for about 60s (to release the oils in both - I think!).  Add onion and brown.  (Beginning of like every Aya recipe ever).