Donations: Support the RPC!

Out of curiosity, where will these donations go to? Is there some project in mind for the site that requires an amount of cash expense (server upgrade, I don't know)?

Flynt mentioned it, but yes, the site costs about $60 a month to run, give or take a few bucks. The money goes to Amazon for a t2.medium instance, a t2.small MySQL RDS instance (non-redundant), Route53 DNS service, various bits of EBS storage (RDS, snapshots, etc.), and our not inconsequential outbound data transit.

While I can and have shouldered the cost myself over the last year, if we want new features that require me to buy software, spin up a new instance, or otherwise expand capabilities (those milestone goals Flynt mentioned, as well as some undisclosed ones if we make just super serious money), I can't exactly justify the cost myself going forward.

For what it's worth, one of the patron-only updates will be a monthly cost breakdown of the site's accounting so you can see where your money's going. :) I just posted one of those for the curious.

As for the timing of the Patreon site going live, it was actually entirely coincidental. :) I'd been getting it ready and working through some of the issues, and it just now got to the point where it was ready to go. I will be providing the name-related rewards before the pledges actually process, since it's not like I can't just revoke them if one doesn't process. Don't worry -- you won't have to wait until April to get your shiny red name.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww I was just joking with you about it.

((I will however still give you a beret. Maybe Kage's black one will do though and not his white ones.))

I'm just curious but why choose Patreon instead of different services? Legality? While not kosher sites, I've seen forums that post things with a little donation tracker + how much is put towards it per month etc. which makes the donations much less monthly.

I'm just curious but why choose Patreon instead of different services? Legality? While not kosher sites, I've seen forums that post things with a little donation tracker + how much is put towards it per month etc. which makes the donations much less monthly.

I actually went with Patreon for the subscription angle, actually. :) My thought was that some people would want to kick in a little bit each month, knowing our hosting is a consistent expense, and I wanted to structure the rewards that way to make them easier to manage. There's also some legal issues that are easier to deal with when the structure is "patronage to me for my services" as opposed to something else. The pledge management and collection is easier with them than some of the MyBB plugins that I found. Finally, compared to, say, GoFundMe, I don't have to give up a ton of personal data, connect Facebook, etc. If I were going down that road, I'd have to incorporate a 501©(3) tax exempt for the RPC, which just gets into all kinds of stuff I'd rather not deal with. That'd make my hobby rather more like my work, which is something I try to avoid. :)

I really appreciate the outpouring of support! Once the pledges clear, I can purchase the chat software and do the mucking around in AWS required to support that stuff.

Just so everyone knows, we're $25 a month away from having our own voice chat server (probably Mumble, but possibly TS3, depending on the answer to a question I have with their licensing team). If this is something you'd find useful, please don't forget to pledge!

I really appreciate the outpouring of support! Once the pledges clear, I can purchase the chat software and do the mucking around in AWS required to support that stuff.

Just so everyone knows, we're $25 a month away from having our own voice chat server (probably Mumble, but possibly TS3, depending on the answer to a question I have with their licensing team). If this is something you'd find useful, please don't forget to pledge!

Look again.

I'd use the shit out of a chat service :D

• 2 weeks later...

When we get our chat server, I demand a poetry slam.

Loud words!

Pretentious symbolism!

ANNUNCIATION

The snow falls on Mt Fuji?

Farts.

An original piece by Flynt Reddard.

There are no buffs to prepare me for the strength of your encounter

you are awe, you are power, you are final.

boss.

and i am but a clumsy pug group in the shadow of your heart

I SCREAM INTO THE VOID, BUT YOU CAST SILENCE.

I succumb.

I reach the limit.

break.

enraptured by

the ubiquitous marvel of your plumes

i wipe