Elitism and You: An Attempt at Polite Discourse: ilvl125+ Only, Must Link Achievement

There are plenty of elitists out there who seem to know what they are doing or they know more than other players, but some don't even put more efforts than new players and still act elitist as if they know everything. I usually find them to be hypocrite/ignorant elitist or self-proclaimed elitist. 

In roleplaying, there are more dramas and more elitists than gamers because most people had other roleplaying experiences outside FFXIV and some don't even open their arms to new roleplayers in general and it happens a lot anywhere you go because these veteran roleplayers feel fear that these new roleplayers will ruin it for them. 

Also Doton , I find the damage ratio to be better than Raiton sometimes and I am always Doton/Katon person over Raiton anytime. Futon is my first anytime , I don't miss that. As for Suiton - well that's another attack I favor when I use trick attack.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm willing to compromise, of course, but generally there's some stuff I try to avoid altogether simply because I find it ridiculous. The casual use of Fantasia is a major example, especially with so many people expressing a desire to turn their character into an Au Ra when the expansion is upon us.

To me, that strikes me as odd and pretty lazy. It also suggests - to me at least - that it's not worth involving myself with their character in-depth because chances are they'll just latch onto whatever happens to the 'flavour of the month' at the time and expect everybody else to play along.

You have to wonder, though. How much of it IS just 'flavour of the month' and how much is it people changing over to a race/class they would've started out with if they had existed at the time of character creation? We have folks who've RPed as having guns/interest in magitek, we've had fortunetellers and diviners, and there's plenty of folks who totally made their character a Dark Knight rather than a Paladin or Warrior if it had been available.

Who's to say it can't be the same with the Au Ra? It's just a situation of race rather than class, so it seems a more... "jarring" transition. And not everyone is willing to roll up an entirely new character for the race they would've wanted to begin with, so - if they want to continue RPing with that character - they're really left with three options:

1. ) I WAS AN AU RA ALL ALONG - Using glamours and whatnot to explain why their Miqo'te was actually a dragonperson.

2.) OOPS, FANTASIA - Using an item that has been used plenty of times before in some RPs (much to the chagrin of others, at times) to have a character switch from one race to another.

3.) I'M DED - the most extreme choice, ICly killing their character and introducing themselves as their new, Au Ra form.

Sure, there'll still be folks who are doing it just because it's the new thing - I'm not saying there won't be. I'm just averse to just marking it up to laziness or being a flavour of the month thing.

It just feels like a cheap move to me. There's so little racial lore in this game as it stands when compared to the likes of ESO and WoW so it just feels jarring when people acknowledge the ability to change their character's race on a whim.

It's not something I've seen happen in other MMO's so I have no idea why it's so widespread in this community. Perhaps it's a cultural thing, though - since it seems to be something that American role-players are much more eager to embrace whereas my fellow European brethren don't. (Though I could be wrong, of course!)

I just favour the idea of using it OOC and starting with a fresh character. Heck, they can even make the character very similar to their original character!

So long as people don't force their views on anybody else it's fine - but on the other hand, they should be free to explain themselves and inform people of what they think without being branded as an elitist wanker.

I've said this in countless other threads but a lot of the people branded 'elitist' in this community are very friendly and lovely to interact with whilst many of those who claim to be open, welcoming and lace their every word with sugar are actually the ones who are manipulative jerks and difficult to work with if you're not in their little social circles.

It's why I take most of what I read on this site with a pinch of salt.

Elitism.....

In other games: Alot of times when I recap with a teammate or opponent I typically tell it how I see it. ( I.E : You do X so you are being punished by Y and Z or...You need to go and practice Y because overal it's ruining you overall and effecting X and Z) And alot of times because I'm direct the feed back is Negative "Elitist" and "Tryhards" are typical words I hesr flung at me.

In PVE

I'm pretty lax on this for the most part. I've got a huge amount of patience for dungeons and adjustments. I have less patience for griefers, I will typically throw out an STFU if I know that someone is genuinely learning a dungeon/ Just having an off day and is getting mobbed by other players. I've been that guy in other MMOs and I know that shit is not cool when nobody has your back.

In RP

Haven't been called or considered elitist directly, I don't think I do anything that warrants the title. I crack ooc jokes every-so often but nothing along the lines of shaming. I don't turn down RP when approached nor do I really dismiss anyone, other than myself (Although my character isn't much for interaction)And that's if I need to afk for a certain amount of time and I think the wait would far too long. I'd like to think no one has beef with me for thinking I'm snubbing them or belittling their RP.

Also Doton , I find the damage ratio to be better than Raiton sometimes and I am always Doton/Katon person over Raiton anytime.

To self-demonstrate what some people will undoubtedly find elitist (and I'm sorry for this being "aimed" at you specifically, Anelia):

Doton: 30 potency over 24 seconds/8 ticks for 240 potency

Katon: 180 potency immediately

Raiton: 360 Potency, single target

360 > 240 > 180. Use Raiton on bosses. Doton only beats Katon after 18 seconds of uptime.

I just favour the idea of using it OOC and starting with a fresh character. Heck, they can even make the character very similar to their original character!

Nothing wrong with that! A lot of folks (including myself) have plans for fresh Au Ra characters.

I'm just saying that others may not be willing to (or can not) dedicate the time for building up a whole new character for such things. Either due to time, effort, or the fact they want the character to have things that you can't GET on a new character (Yukatas and /bombdance, for example - I know I regret making Chachan after the yukata event, and can only hope they bring it back or put them up for purchase). My Au Ra-to-be, for example, is actually a bit lower level than I'd like him to be at the moment mostly due to not really being up to plowing through the MSQ for a third time... and I want him high enough level not only for the proper cross-class skills, but also to be able to have the widest access to dress-up options. Not to mention I'm working on my first character's Nexus relic AND trying to keep both my "current" characters capped on tomes. And all of this is on top of working a normal 9-5.

It's a lot of work, and I can completely understand why someone would want to circumvent all that by just turning their character into an Au Ra, especially if they're wanting to play and RP for funsies and not turn it into work. The only reason it matters so much in this situation is really because of the RP and the lore surrounding the character - which is why these alternate explanations are used or even needed. It wouldn't matter quite so much on a regular server, I'm sure.

Also Doton , I find the damage ratio to be better than Raiton sometimes and I am always Doton/Katon person over Raiton anytime.

To self-demonstrate what some people will undoubtedly find elitist (and I'm sorry for this being "aimed" at you specifically, Anelia):

360 > 240 > 180. Use Raiton on bosses. Doton only beats Katon after 18 seconds of uptime.

See, that's the thing. If you math it out, sure, it makes sense. But you can play the class well enough without knowing that. I'd be more worried about the NIN that doesn't put his venoms on or fails his basic combo rotation over one that tries to maintain a Doton. Yes, you're missing out on 120 potency on that one particular Mudra, but it's better than screwing up the Mudra entirely or never using Haiton.

So, I'm sure it's been said plenty of times about me, but I'm more than willing to admit I am a PVE elitist. Does the word have a generally negative connotation, yes, but I don't necessarily think Elitism has to be a bad thing. I think it's simply a mindset that most people will fall into after they've been doing something for a considerable amount of time.

My main roles in XIV are Tank and Healer, with occasional forays into DPS (BRD mainly, hopefully MCH soon). I consider myself a Career WAR - someone who has put in a lot of time extensively researching, number crunching, and trial&erroring the best possible ways to play the class to my ability. Now, I certainly don't expect everyone to do this for their respective classes, but when I'm doing DF/PF content with strangers, I think it's important to put your best foot forward. To me, that means putting in an honest effort. Like, giving it at least 80-90%, even if it's a class you aren't completely familiar with, perhaps even especially if it is a class you aren't familiar with. At the very least, read your ability descriptions! Know what your basic abilities do and do not do, and what they combo with. That's the first step.

Cuz it's not just your $12.95, it's also the $12.95 of everyone else you're partied with. And I feel that if you don't want to even try because you're "just a DPS" or "It's LotA, chill" or you're the DPS in AK-HM who expects the healer to keep them up through first boss' lazerbeam of doom so they can crunch in more DPS, then maybe I should just not try as a Tank. If you just want to spam 1-2-3 and not move... how would you like it if I just sat there and did my Storm's Path rotation for the entirety of the dungeon and pulled with provoke? Everyone appreciates a good tank. Tanks appreciate a good party. Everyone has something to bring to the party, try to bring it, even if it is LotA.

For talking about ninja abilities, I'm surprised you don't list Fuma Shuriken, as it's the only ninjutsu ability right now that is boosted from either venom, and doesn't eat into your GCD.  Arguably, it is on par, if not better than Raiton currently depending on latency so long as it's not under the effect of kessatsu.

Either way, I feel Elitism seems to have a nasty blend of being in cliques than it is in general RP.  In fact, I've seen more of that eyebrow raising RP than seeing people go 'Oh, you can't do that because of X/Y/Z' OOC, at least to me or someone else.  When it comes to closed RP, there is always the unspoken rule and do's and don'ts that are typically followed.  Unfortunately, those rules that either someone else established whether through logical explanation or a flat rule tends to bleed into RP outside of that group.  When that rule is broken, there is constant backlash, both passive aggressive and directly, and it's a rather tiring attitude to see.  This is something I do see nearly all the time, and trying to have someone realize such is mostly futile.  All one can really do about it is accept it, or walk away.  Your choice really.

Normally my concept of Elitism tends to revolve around a person in endgame who actually treats others with disdain if they aren't able to keep up to a certain, above-average standard. This is different, however, from the kind of group who badgers one of their static to improve so the raid can progress. I'm referring to the sort of person who will purposefully insult or belittle others purely based on their ability to play video games. 

And for the record, I believe you can absolutely be elite without being an elitist. They key is the belief that you're better than everyone else and have the right to look down on them.

In RP, I do not believe that holding someone to a high lore standard is considered elitism any more than I consider a person going off into their own canon to be an elitist. They're just different and incompatible ways to RP. Lore compliance is a personal preference because it allows different characters to mesh easily into one another's stories without a lot of problems.

I do not believe that questioning a person's implausible story counts as elitism either. I like plausible stories. Honestly, my main in this game is implausible enough that it makes me wince sometimes, and I occasionally feel I'm making the best of a bad job.

It is also not elitist to expect a person to use the shift key and punctuation. Normally I greatly prefer good spelling, but one of my best RP friends in CoH was actually dyslexic and struggled. I adored her, though, and I'd sit there and try to find out what she meant if it freaking took all night. Believable standards, please.

So yeah, elitism is more about attitude to me than it is whether or not you're actually good at something, and the second you start to sneer at a person for struggling with their DPS or having to deal with lore problems from when they made the character eight months ago, you're being an elitist d-bag.

An example of what I've seen as RP elitism:

Mocking people for what they named their characters, RP or PVE-wise. No matter if it's straight up fanboying, non-lore compliant, or joke name. You don't know the history behind it. For a year? ish, the only way to change your name is if you server transferred with a 3 days' space in between. For some, that is just not doable (Raid for example). And then for some, they've been RPing with that non-lore compliant name for months that you just can't retcon their name into something that does comply with lore.

Though, I do have the right to raise a small questioning quircked eyebrow when your name is made to be political inciting (George Zimmerman, e.g) but I will never mock you.

An example of RP elitism:

Mocking people for what they named their characters, RP or PVE-wise. No matter if it's straight up fanboying, non-lore compliant, or joke name. You don't know the history behind it. For a year? ish, the only way to change your name is if you server transferred with a 3 days' space in between. For some, that is just not doable (Raid for example). And then for some, they've been RPing with that non-lore compliant name for months that you just can't retcon their name into something that does comply with lore.

Though, I do have the right to raise a small questioning quircked eyebrow when your name is made to be political inciting (George Zimmerman, e.g) but I will never mock you.

Good to know, Kage. 

It is now time to introduce my newest alt, O'namona Tia.

Good to know, Kage. 

I'm sorry, but am I being mocked right now?

Good to know, Kage. 

I'm sorry, but am I being mocked right now?

Mocked with love, Kage. <3

I personally agree that some names don't always work. A lot of the time players will just state that they chose a new name after leaving home in order to work around it. Names don't make the character or the RP.

And yes, Chris, it was an onomatopoeia pun.

Buh dum ksh.

Names are sometimes hit or miss. I don't mind if I'm talking to a miqo'te named John Farmer or something, since Eorzea's a world where folks come from all over (and I probably don't care about your backstory so much as I do about our interactions) but even I sometimes raise an eyebrow at how seriously to take someone who walks up with the name X'treem B'uttpuncha.

Names are sometimes hit or miss. I don't mind if I'm talking to a miqo'te named John Farmer or something, since Eorzea's a world where folks come from all over (and I probably don't care about your backstory so much as I do about our interactions) but even I sometimes raise an eyebrow at how seriously to take someone who walks up with the name X'treem B'uttpuncha.

I will never forget you, Butt Golem.

Koporo Aporo was initially a Plainsfolk, and as such his name used Plainsfolk naming conventions.

When I used fantasia to retcon him into Jajara's clan as a Dunesfolk, I forgot that you couldn't change the name.

Now, poor Kopo has an incorrect name and everyone knows him BY THAT NAME and changing it would be a difficult process...

I get called an Elitist for preferring my guild and the people in it stick to lore as closely as possible. The thing is... we're not that strict when it comes to the murky bits (We don't know everything about the Twelve, we don't know everything about the void, we really don't know exactly how Ul'dah is ran) so it's completely okay to bend the lore around the parts that are... fuzzy. We have a voidtouched THM in the guild, my character been possessed by a voidsent, our guild has stolen Allagan artifacts from nonexistent ruins, raided nonexistent Castrums, Have a 100 year old mages soul trapped in a book. All of these things aren't in lore, but we use Inductive logic to see if it would be possible. If it is, just go do it man. The only time we're super strict is when the lore is clearly written in black and white of what it can and cannot be. That's it.

We're not even mean about it, if you don't want to follow lore - you don't have to. You just can't be in our guild. We've had people whine at us and say it was unfair - since we also do endgame and some non-lore compliant rpers just wanted a slot on our raid team - but we all agreed to these rules and it's unfair to let someone who doesn't follow them in.

I think actual elitism is bad. I've actually seen it, even if this game. I've had people around me believe that if you didn't write a paragraph a response - complete with inner thoughts and feelings - that you were a bad rper. I had to tell them over and over again, it's a different style - some people are into dialogue RP and don't feel the need to get deep into it, and others do. It's just style and has no bearing on how good you are or aren't. I've had some people chastise me for not spelling something correctly (I'm a fast typer and tend to typo) and that made me a bad RPer... for a typo. There are people running around who look for "Good" or "Bad" rpers, because they want to feel superior. Those people exist and they kinda suck... but not everyone is like that. I don't think a lot of them are like that. It takes too much energy too worry about how bad someone else is.

Elitism is gaming: I'm in Final Coil with my guild, and it's really the only time I have a high expectation. Dungeons are generally easy, and unless you're a huge derp I don't really mind much. In Coil though, I expect my team to learn the mechanics, gear up every week, and learn their jobs. I don't really care that much about DPS unless we aren't hitting a dps check - since I used to have a pretty low DPS back in the day and caught a lot of flack for it despite the fact we were clearing, I tend to be more sympathetic to it even though my DPS is really high now.

I do get annoyed wen I get into a farm party for a Primal or something and it's pretty clear someone got in for a carry >.> Like, dude I just say you die 4 times in the first run of Shiva Ex, you shouldn't be here. BUT if it's a clear party I don't mind.

For me my gaming elitism absolutely is determined by context.

Koporo Aporo was initially a Plainsfolk, and as such his name used Plainsfolk naming conventions.

When I used fantasia to retcon him into Jajara's clan as a Dunesfolk, I forgot that you couldn't change the name.

Now, poor Kopo has an incorrect name and everyone knows him BY THAT NAME and changing it would be a difficult process...

There's no way for me to retcon Kage's name, though it would help me with SO MANY THINGS.

Even if his name not being lore compliant had never even came up, I just can't change his name now. @_@ I spent so many months with it and it's just... how the hell can you even rectify it? IMO you can't really and you just gotta RP with people who don't "care" about that little tiny snafu.

In gameplay, my 'elitism' varies, as it were, depending on the content I'm doing and how much I've been doing that content. For my expert and high-level queues, I generally expect everyone to put in at least 80%. I tank pretty much exclusively so a lot of the speed of the dungeon is on me, which I like. If a DPS is obviously fucking up rotations or eating things it shouldn't be eating, it definitely sours my mood, though I don't call it out. It does leave me irritated for the next queue though, which can lead to spirals. I also get irked when I see healers not pushing DPS when I'm perfeclty healthy and not in any danger of dying or getting to dangerous HP levels in the near future. At this point you're just making the dungeon take five minutes longer so yeah, I'll get angry at you. Healer DPSing is a core conceit of the game and I expect you to make use of it if it seems a viable option.

In Extreme primals I generally expect everyone to know the fight. If you're DFing into Shiva EX, know what the hell you're doing at least on a base level. Otherwise you are wasting the time of seven other people if you've never read a guide or watched a video or anything. Again, Id on't call people out on this, I just vote abandon if it looks ot be a fail group, and outright leave if that fails and it seems hopeless. I'm good at internalizing my anger, at least. I can eat the half-hour penalty fine.

Funnily enough, my true salt comes from Odin. I just cannot have a healthy experience DFing that bastard. I am a 123 WAR with strength accessories. I should not be out-DPSing all of the DPS. Why am I out-DPSing all of the DPS, damn it. That fight has a DPS check that's way too fucking tight for DF, and it fills me with salt whenever I try to run it. What makes it worse is that PFs for Odin very rarely fill. At least the Demon set looks great, or else I'd be lost on what plate glamour to use. Ugh. Fuck that fight, and fuck anyone that queues into it as DPS and does sub-200 damage. Odin is the one DF that you can tell within two minutes if it's goign to be mathematically feasible or not. Yes, I parse DFs. No I don't mention it in-game, I'm not an idiot.

Finally, I lead a static that's currently at T9. Since I bill it as semi-casual, I'm more lenient on them for mistakes and learning/improvement than I am in DFs for easier content. My expectations for my static are consistent improvement in gear and rotation knowledge, continued development in fight knowledge and memorization, and above all consistent attendance. I can shove competency down your throat 90% of the time. I can't if you don't even show up. We'ev only been a static for a couple of weeks so I haven't had to have any competency-related talks with anyone yet, but if you fuck up for days on end on the same mechanic, ten times a night, we'll have issues and we'll talk. I have fast learners so far, at least. Just need to get a solidified group of consistent showers.

Basically, it boils down to the fact that as tank, I have a surprisingly light load in 85% of fights. So I get to stare and watch everyone else do their thing, and judge them when they fail, and get salty when those failures cause wipes that had no business happening. It's a unique aspect of tanking when you get comfortable with it and the fight. We don't 'do' too much most of the time, which means our job is 'stand there and pray everyone else doesn't suck'.

Um, I try very hard to not be an elitist PVE wise or rp wise, but I'm very spoiled.

PVE, I do my best not to look down on players with lower skill level, because even I make mistakes pretty often. Though I've cleared most of the game's content, I don't feel it's entirely due to my own effort. I still think I'm one of the better Monks on my other server, but hardly the best. There are still times when I'm greedy, or not creative enough to think of ways to extend my contact time on some Coil bosses. However, even despite this, I often forget that just having cleared Second Coil put me into a minor percentage of players capable enough or with a capable enough group to clear endgame content. I am reminded of this every time I do my CT/ST/WoD weekly. It tests my patience, but I have to tell myself that raiding is not for everyone. I do believe doing the hardest content in the game could make anyone as good as or better than me, and that achieving skill in the game is more a matter of memorization and mindset than any ingrained talent, so it really *is* nothing special. As I said, however, I'm very spoiled. I was able to access an endgame raiding group on Hyperion through a friend and they greatly enhanced my ability to play well, and that took some effort. Had I not met them, I probably wouldn't be raiding. I've never even gotten to endgame in an MMO before FFXIV.

As for rp, I do my best to respect everyone's writing style and interests. I am self conscious enough to not want to point out flaws in other people's play style or story lines, because I think I'm not quite there yet myself. Yet again, I am spoiled. I played on forums where people churned out massive essay-long posts of purple prose, and while that is not necessarily an indicator of quality, it did suggest a level of investment above and beyond the average player. I also held a very privileged position on those rp boards; on one, I was a moderator and one of the older members, and generally got into any rp I wanted to, or had a role in planning the story. On the other I was called onto the forum by request from a respected player to again play and help plan stories. It is a point of pride for me that people liked how I wrote so much, but I'm often concerned it will make me assume I have more power over an rp's narrative than I actually do. It's sort of a relief, almost, not to have that kind of authority anymore and not have to pick and choose who can enter an rp, or to be relied upon to plan campaigns. But I may have to do that again eventually.

[align=center]In Roleplay[/align]

[align=center]You're a toolbag for even thinking that you, nerdy roleplayer, are better than other nerdy roleplayers. Your self esteem must be incredibly low, and you are pathetic.[/align]

[align=center]In Gameplay[/align]

[align=center]Not being perfect is okay. Being stupid is not. Stop running into AoEs, stop losing control of the boss, stop ignoring your teammates. Use your damn passives/cooldowns, get your poisons, get your fists, oaths, etc. Quit being a douchebag whenever the rookie messes up, they're new and worth tomes.[/align]

[align=center]Having a Zeta and bragging about it makes you an asshole. Good job on obtaining a weapon that's mildly better than Dreadwyrm. Also ram a cactus up your ass for bragging about a weapon in an MMO. This goes back to nerds fighting over who's the bigger nerd. It's not something to publicly be proud of. Get over it.[/align]

[align=center]/rant[/align]

[align=center]Having a Zeta and bragging about it makes you an asshole. Good job on obtaining a weapon that's mildly better than Dreadwyrm. Also ram a cactus up your ass for bragging about a weapon in an MMO. This goes back to nerds fighting over who's the bigger nerd. It's not something to publicly be proud of. Get over it.[/align]

Calling bullshit simply because there's nothing wrong with being proud of achieving something that took over a year to see through. Bragging is one thing, being proud of your accomplishment is another.

Calling bullshit simply because there's nothing wrong with being proud of achieving something that took over a year to see through. Bragging is one thing, being proud of your accomplishment is another.

Calling bullshit myself on most of that post simply because of how it's worded. By being so hostile to perceived elitism (or real elitism, because yea it's a thing), you too become an asshole. :(

if I went through the stupid amount of inane bullshit they make you go through for that weapon (which I prob. won't because it's just so incredibly grindy) i'd wanna brag too, that shit is soulcrushing