Hydaelyn Role-Players
Half naked! Oh no!! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Half naked! Oh no!! (/showthread.php?tid=8593)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Kage - 10-10-2014

(10-10-2014, 03:39 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: Okay! I looked through the responses and realized that some didn't address the OP -- a bit of mine included. I tried to answer each concern as best as I could. 

I think I'm getting old, but it's slowly starting to bug me when characters around me point out; "Hey you're wearing revealing clothes" even though Feo is in her tribal subligar. She turns around and tells them "Uhm... but dis wha my tribe war all da time." But they have none of it and want her to put on a sweater...

So that brings me to an issue I've been noticing lately. Part of it having to do with bringing everyday sensibilities into the fantasy world (another one of those OOC into IC bleeds). Now, I'm assuming that the general Eorzean public is used to tribal sorts (or people from any origin) visiting the various cities to trade and do what ever business right?

Well, you see. I don't think the IC/OOC bleed is soley on the other player here. If you are being OOC bugged by something said IC -- well. It may not necessarily be their bleed.

It's the same as if I visited Africa, New Guinea, or the Australian outback and started going; "Oh the horror! You people aren't wearing clothes! She needs to put a shirt on!"

That happens, actually. Not that it really counts because Eorzea is none of those places!

Should I expect that the culture clash between the citizens of the city states and outsiders be that bad?

You don't really have to expect that; rather, be aware and sensitive to the fact that different players play their characters with different standards and sensitivities, based on their personalities -- and that these sensitivities may or may not not be grounded in any sort of logic. Lots of people have personal preferences or sensitivities that logic cannot explain!

Isn't it common that some warriors of all sorts, eschew clothes or cover up less (think coliseum top and bottom) on occasion in this setting?

I wouldn't say common, but rather possible in certain circumstances.

Seeing a hygur in the camisole top and bottom as part of her "armor" ensemble is perfectly normal to me and should be a pretty common sight. After all even hygur have tribes and the look seems pretty appropriate to the setting.

This is...subjective, but I can understand where you're coming from. 

The same holds true for a miqote in any revealing combination. That includes the male in the coliseum top and bottom. Seems to me very appropriate, fits the setting, and shouldn't be a rare sight.

There's a time and place for everything -- the 'setting' of Eorzea is one that spans an entire continent and several different cultures. If something 'fits the setting' in one area, it may not in another -- and even then, that may not necessarily hold any bearing on the sensitivities and preferences of a character!

I'm starting to associate the comment; "Hey that's revealing clothes!" with breaking the 4th wall.

That's -- some of that IC/OOC bleed going on there at worst, and an assumption at best.

Now, keep in mind we're in final fantasy land, not modern everyday downtown LA. I look forward to your opinions on this!

I agree! But that still doesn't have anything to do with the preferences and sensitivities people play their characters with. Eorzea is a BIG place, with lots of people. Some won't bat an eyelash at a scantily clad person, others will be SCANDALIZED~! It's just a matter of rolling with it! 

If they tell you about it OOC, however...THAT'S when they begin the bleed -- THAT'S when the fourth wall starts to go down. Because in THAT case, something you do IC is making them have an OOC reaction.

I hope all of this made some sense and helped a bit!

Berrod is perfect and so is this post

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Kellach Woods - 10-10-2014

(10-10-2014, 03:58 PM)Mae Wrote:
(10-10-2014, 03:15 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I tend to think very poorly about players wearing slut gear for glamour. I've found that amount of skin shown tends to be inversely proportional with their ability to do their effing job.
Wardrobe malfunctions are NOT how Flash works!
That's how I use it with Kell.

He's just so pretty no one is blinded. He's also not a paladin.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Zyrusticae - 10-10-2014

I should note that T'rahnu is supposed to be wearing a cloak ICly, but, you know, since there are no cloaks in-game she's just exposed. Oh, well. Them's the breaks.

But really, I just get tired of seeing the same look after so much time. I spent hundreds of hours wearing the same armor so I just decided to go half-naked for a change of pace.

If only Miqo'te had a muscle slider, it would actually make some semblance of sense...

(10-10-2014, 03:15 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I tend to think very poorly about players wearing slut gear for glamour. I've found that amount of skin shown tends to be inversely proportional with their ability to do their effing job.
Funny, I wear "slut gear" all the time and I'm usually the most skilled player in the party.

Also I would refrain from using the phrase "slut gear" ever again, thank you very much. Some basic respect would be appreciated.

(10-10-2014, 03:17 PM)CrookedTarot Wrote: Isn't it possible, in a world like Eorzea that has a proud history of adventurers of all stripes, that seeing someone ANYONE walking around in metal-plated skivvies to be typical? Not just talking men or just women but in general. The game itself is part of a series where ridiculous clothing is the norm (see Kuja from FF IX who no one ever talks about in any game about how HE is dressed).
No.

They still made up the culture in the first place. It's still possible for the fictional culture they created to be completely unbelievable and/or nonsensical. Not to mention at least some of it was because of development constraints (i.e. they can't be arsed to make dialogue specifically for players wearing that gear, or doing so would take up too much memory etc.).

I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to defend or explain away obviously sexist armor designs. The coliseum sets actually have a justification (i.e. both males and females are mostly naked) but stuff like the "magic bikini" are just dumb, period. It's an excuse to throw more straight male-oriented fanservice into the game. Now, I personally, don't mind if they do throw in that sort of fanservice, but I would appreciate some balance (that is, if you throw in a magic bikini you should be throwing in a magic speedo as well).

But this is all getting off the topic. When it comes to players running around half-naked, well, you just have to take the licks you get for it. Especially if you try to fight like that, then it becomes a question of 'wtf are you thinking?!'

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - QueenFrejyalen - 10-10-2014

I would say "When in Rome" is a good way to tell if your wardrobe is appropriate.

You're right in saying that it's wrong of us to change the sensibilities of others in THEIR home, which means that if you are in a place other than your tribal land, you should expect to restrict yourself to the sensibilities of the places you are visiting.

If I were to go to another country, I would not expect them to change their dress to suit me.  But I would understand if they wanted me to change my dress to suit their customs/law, because I am the visitor, not the local.

That's mostly a personal opinion but that's what I think on the matter.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - QueenFrejyalen - 10-10-2014

Quote:Also I would refrain from using the phrase "slut gear" ever again, thank you very much. Some basic respect would be appreciated.

Also this statement.

No need to put people down for their choice in wardrobe and try to link that to their sexuality and their value.

(10-10-2014, 05:21 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: If only Miqo'te had a muscle slider, it would actually make some semblance of sense...
It surprises me that they don't because pretty much everyone else has it exception Lalas (and consarnit I want my renaissance baby buff lalas for maximum MRDing).

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - TheLastCandle - 10-10-2014

(10-10-2014, 05:26 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(10-10-2014, 05:21 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: If only Miqo'te had a muscle slider, it would actually make some semblance of sense...
It surprises me that they don't because pretty much everyone else has it exception Lalas (and consarnit I want my renaissance baby buff lalas for maximum MRDing).

Neither do Elezen, oddly enough. But hey, at least we get ear sliders.

Huh. I rolled one and didn't notice the lack of muscle slider.

Weirrrrrrd.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Berrod Armstrong - 10-10-2014

Silly kittyfolk. No swole slider for you!

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - C'kayah Polaali - 10-10-2014

Pfft! We just always look good!

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Antain - 10-10-2014

Show Content
Show Content
Show Content

And that's how dressed Vaughn is. As good as it gets. Any more than that and he's suffocated.

So dress how you will. Let others judge and be jealous Heart

Vaughn is a man after my own heart.

But no way I'm heaving an axe without proper armor.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Jazz Egi - 10-10-2014

Weaver won't go out if even her ankles are exposed. Its that conservative Ishgard culture.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - B'ren Lyrgh - 10-10-2014

One of the only times I've seen the "REVEALING CLOTHING" in RP actually get out of hand is when people are whispering creepy things to the people that are wearing such things. IC creepy stuff....that is up to whom is being whispered, can always ignored it or ask that they not try that sorta rp with ya. OOC? Uh,...blacklistsofast.

I've not had any issues with revealing stuff in an RP setting, if you're walking around Ul'dah after a long day in the dessert and want to relax, you'll want to wear something to cool off n'stuff. I'unno.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - LiadansWhisper - 10-10-2014

(10-10-2014, 07:57 PM)B Wrote: One of the only times I've seen the "REVEALING CLOTHING" in RP actually get out of hand is when people are whispering creepy things to the people that are wearing such things. IC creepy stuff....that is up to whom is being whispered, can always ignored it or ask that they not try that sorta rp with ya. OOC? Uh,...blacklistsofast.

I've not had any issues with revealing stuff in an RP setting, if you're walking around Ul'dah after a long day in the dessert and want to relax, you'll want to wear something to cool off n'stuff. I'unno.

Actually, wearing long, loose, light-colored clothing is cooler in a desert environment than going around with your skin exposed.  Which is why "tribal clothing" doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.