Hydaelyn Role-Players
Combat RP: How do I git gud? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Combat RP: How do I git gud? (/showthread.php?tid=11098)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - Zelmanov - 04-14-2015

since a lot of the technical aspects of fighting already seem outlined, I have this to say:

I tend to go by one tenet when it comes to RP combat that DOES NOT have a predetermined outcome. By this I mean fights that are not decided by rolls or are railroaded to a certain conclusion for the sake of a plot. I am talking pure, free form RP combat:

Do what is fun for BOTH parties. Your characters may be enemies but you, as players are allies in weaving a compelling story for both you and whoever is standing by watching.

You may enjoy being an unstoppable juggernaut but your opponent will not. Same goes if it were the other way around. There will be a give and take.

Be concise with your actions and state your intentions clearly as to what is going on so your opponent can react appropriately. You can use pretty words and colorful narrative as long as it is clear what is being done. 

If you are unsure as to the scale of the combat, be sure to suss it out OOC or mirror their combat style. This is how I at least, avoid power-creep/escalations. If someone is up for a bar brawl RP, don't bring out the blackmage flare. Winning the fight is not the goal of free form RP combat most of the time.

You may intend to do whatever to another character but that person has the final say on what happens to them. Same goes for you.

you will meet people that, no matter how well or well reasoned your attack is made to be, will dodge or dance or manmode their way through. Be ready to reconcile any perceptions of your character being undefeatable/never picks a fight they can't win right now.

These guidelines should result in fun for both parties.

Its almost like a ERP  *Ahem*.

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - Coatleque - 04-14-2015

This may look like shameless self-promotion, but it's the most recent example I have of what you might call 'good' combat RP. Starting with this post, the next few posts describe the lead up, battle, and resolution of a 10-man fight that was entirely unscripted and uncoordinated. There were no rolls made and no OOC coordination save for "Be at <pos> in <time> minutes".

I have the raw log as well if you want to see parts that were cut out due to character perspective of the poster.

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - Hammersmith - 04-14-2015

(04-14-2015, 01:58 PM)Coatleque Wrote: This may look like shameless self-promotion, but it's the most recent example I have of what you might call 'good' combat RP.  Starting with this post, the next few posts describe the lead up, battle, and resolution of a 10-man fight that was entirely unscripted and uncoordinated.  There were no rolls made and no OOC coordination save for "Be at <pos> in <time> minutes".

I have the raw log as well if you want to see parts that were cut out due to character perspective of the poster.
See. Now I want to fight all of you. +w+

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - Melkire - 04-14-2015

(04-14-2015, 01:58 PM)Coatleque Wrote: This may look like shameless self-promotion, but it's the most recent example I have of what you might call 'good' combat RP. Starting with this post, the next few posts describe the lead up, battle, and resolution of a 10-man fight that was entirely unscripted and uncoordinated. There were no rolls made and no OOC coordination save for "Be at <pos> in <time> minutes".

I have to write up the next post of this today, in between getting work done at the office. Coincidentally the same scene in which my character "nope'd" at two armored individuals.

Fight choreography....

/cry

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - Khadan - 04-14-2015

ughhhh I haven't had a good RP fight in a long long time. Kinda seems a bit off topic but eh reading that people still enjoy it makes me happy. Coming from a community from *game that shall not be named* where RP fighting was practically a blacklisting offense? This is great. =)

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - Gegenji - 04-14-2015

(04-14-2015, 02:28 PM)Melkire Wrote: Fight choreography....

/cry

That was actually my favorite part of writing in some of my older projects. Even in the Grindstone, I like to try and visual (and sometimes re-enact like a goober in my chair) the motions that the characters can do. It's just a desire to keep things moving that keeps me from spending more time on it. Blush

There's something really enjoyable about when someone else reads the fight scene you've written and say how they can totally envision how it played out. I think that's what I try to go for - make it feel like that can and did happen.

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - Domri Blackblade - 04-14-2015

(04-14-2015, 03:02 PM)Kayllen Wrote: ughhhh I haven't had a good RP fight in a long long time. Kinda seems a bit off topic but eh reading that people still enjoy it makes me happy. Coming from a community from *game that shall not be named* where RP fighting was practically a blacklisting offense? This is great. =)

[Image: tumblr_inline_nm1usxWvNT1t6i91l.gif]

fite me m8

(04-14-2015, 03:06 PM)Domri Blackblade Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 03:02 PM)Kayllen Wrote: ughhhh I haven't had a good RP fight in a long long time. Kinda seems a bit off topic but eh reading that people still enjoy it makes me happy. Coming from a community from *game that shall not be named* where RP fighting was practically a blacklisting offense? This is great. =)

fite me m8

u wot m8
[Image: 4014334-morpheus-come-at-me-bro-reaction...matrix.gif]

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - Gegenji - 04-14-2015

(04-14-2015, 03:22 PM)Kayllen Wrote:

fite me m8

u wot m8

[Image: slapfight.gif]

(04-14-2015, 03:23 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

fite me m8

u wot m8

Last gif is accurate.

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - Hammersmith - 04-14-2015

(04-14-2015, 03:29 PM)Kayllen Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 03:23 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

fite me m8

u wot m8

Last gif is accurate.
[Image: cdn.indiewire.com.jpg]

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - ChewableMorphine - 04-14-2015

To generalize it into the most tl;dr way possible. I present to you the three golden rules.

1. Thou shalt keepeth thy action open ended, lest you fail in your attempt to defend or attack
  2. Thou shalt not proclaimeth thyself as God, for ye are merely a belligerent, and are equally likely to fail as your engaged partner.
  3. Thou shalt placeth thy skill into the blessing of RNGsus, for he shalt guideth you to victory or defeat. Lest you chooseth to write upon your own epitaph or confirm thy victory in combat, consult thy belligerent for consent and proceed on agreed terms.
In the name of the /random, the rolz, and the RNGsus

Umbasa.

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - Aaron - 04-14-2015

[Image: ScaredKidWithCross.jpg]

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - Domri Blackblade - 04-14-2015

(04-14-2015, 04:38 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote: To generalize it into the most tl;dr way possible. I present to you the three golden rules.

1. Thou shalt keepeth thy action open ended, lest you fail in your attempt to defend or attack
  2. Thou shalt not proclaimeth thyself as God, for ye are merely a belligerent, and are equally likely to fail as your engaged partner.
  3. Thou shalt placeth thy skill into the blessing of RNGsus, for he shalt guideth you to victory or defeat. Lest you chooseth to write upon your own epitaph or confirm thy victory in combat, consult thy belligerent for consent and proceed on agreed terms.

Umbasa.

I will always inherently disagree with roll battles. I think its fine for people who are less knowledgeable with fighting and basic anatomy, but most of the fights I do are not left up to rolls because fighting isn't 100% chance. I recognize, as do most of the people I actually RP fight with, that some things are not avoidable and some things are outright impossible anatomically.

Also, I like to recognize other people's higher prowess in combat RP and will RP to a lesser skill in fields my character has lesser skill. Rolls should be left up to chance and chance alone, if you ask me. Unless you are not confident in your own or your partner's abilities.

RE: Combat RP: How do I git gud? - ChewableMorphine - 04-14-2015

(04-14-2015, 04:45 PM)Domri Blackblade Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 04:38 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote: To generalize it into the most tl;dr way possible. I present to you the three golden rules.

Umbasa.

I will always inherently disagree with roll battles. I think its fine for people who are less knowledgeable with fighting and basic anatomy, but most of the fights I do are not left up to rolls because fighting isn't 100% chance. I recognize, as do most of the people I actually RP fight with, that some things are not avoidable and some things are outright impossible anatomically.

Also, I like to recognize other people's higher prowess in combat RP and will RP to a lesser skill in fields my character has lesser skill. Rolls should be left up to chance and chance alone, if you ask me. Unless you are not confident in your own or your partner's abilities.

I can super agree with you if I wasn't solely basing it off of RP fundamentals. Characters and whatnot are a different story, but I mean to touch up moreso on the fairness of an RP battle for both parties. In which rule three I claim that if it's fixed, talk about it and go about it accordingly.