Hydaelyn Role-Players
Another new transfer - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Another new transfer (/showthread.php?tid=14658)

Another new transfer - Sereh - 12-18-2015

So hi to everyone on Balmung.

I recently learnt of how there is a unofficial rp server on FFXIV and this is something I'm very much interested in trying out. So I made a alt and transferred myself across to here.

I'm Riona Jaydefire inworld and a Au Ra though I might change my race, I'm not 100% sure yet so I haven't even started on a backstory or anything for my character. I wanted to get a few levels in first before I think about my character more.

Hopefully I'll see some of you around Smile

RE: Another new transfer - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-18-2015

Hi there! Welcome to the RPC and welcome to what I'm going to assume is Balmung. Smile

There's a lot of resources here and if you need help finding anything, please feel free to ask! The search tool is also here to help!

RE: Another new transfer - Roe Dad - 12-18-2015

Welcome!

RE: Another new transfer - Sereh - 12-19-2015

Thank you for the kind welcomes Smile

Oh yes I transferred to Balmung lol

RE: Another new transfer - Nebbs - 12-19-2015

Welcome

Looks like you are EU based? If so check out the [European Directory]. There are quite a few of us EU folks here.

Also check out the [RP Linkskell & Free Company Lists for Balmung] for things that suit you.

RE: Another new transfer - Sereh - 12-19-2015

Thank you for the welcome Nebbs and I certainly am EU based, I'm from England.

I'll for sure check out both of those links, thank you so much for posting them Smile

I have a little question if that is alright.

I was wondering how the RP works within FFXIV, I did some roleplay in another type of virtual world called Second Life but there was no combat involved.

So I was wondering when it comes to the soul stones we get for our job classes, do people tend to wear them and everyone ignores that they are a Monk or Ninja or Scholar. Just dealing with the base class and not the job?

Also is there such a thing as casual rp? Where people can join in from time to time. As while I would like to RP I don't want it to be the only thing I do so to speak. I want to progress through the story and do the primals/dungeons and raids etc.

RE: Another new transfer - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-19-2015

(12-19-2015, 12:27 PM)Sereh Wrote: I was wondering how the RP works within FFXIV, I did some roleplay in another type of virtual world called Second Life but there was no combat involved.

For the most part, RP in FFXIV is handled through the game's chat and emote systems, many times in a public, open-world setting. Your common tools will likely be /say (/s dialogue or /s "Dialogue, based on preference"), /emote (/em custom emotes are made like this!) and the built-in emotes like /laugh or /angry. You can do just the action for an emote by adding "motion" to the end. Like "/laugh motion". But you cannot combine multiple emotes on one line or adjust the text of a built-in emote on one line. So something like "/laugh 'this is hilarious!' " wouldn't work. I generally try to type my text and follow quickly with the emote. You can also technically make macros and add them to your hotbars/crossbars if you have common actions or whatnot.

Quote:A couple commands you'll probably enjoy in-game.

/tell <player name here, including space>: Sends a whisper/PM to that character, if they are not marked with /busy or in an instanced server/duty.

/emotelist : Brings up the massive emote list. Each emote will show you the text command too

/em : the "custom emote" command. If you've used the /me command in an IM chat, it works the same way.

/say, /yell, /shout, /party, /ls<number>, /fc, /a : these are your commands to switch through different chat styles. You can either type it before every line, or type the command first, and then direct input after.

/say: common chat. White text by default

/yell: local-area chat. Yellow text by default

/shout: entire map(?) Orange text by default

/party: party/group chat. Blue text by default

/ls<number: Linkshell chat. You can have up to 8 of them. The number matters. These are chat groups effectively. Light-ish green by default.

/fc: Free Company (guild) chat. Most treat it like another Linkshell, although many FCs will also have an additional LS for either chat with people not in the FC or for RP purposes. Grey-ish-blue by default.

/a : Alliance chat. This is used in the 24-person raids and Frontline PvP. It's red by default.

You can adjust your chat logs/filters/colors in the Character settings. On keyoard/mouse controls, this is by pressing K.

(12-19-2015, 12:27 PM)Sereh Wrote: So I was wondering when it comes to the soul stones we get for our job classes, do people tend to wear them and everyone ignores that they are a Monk or Ninja or Scholar. Just dealing with the base class and not the job?

Both ways, actually! There's a number of people who RP as their class/job directly (a PLD dressed as a Paladin or a Sultansworn), use another class/job's outfits (I'm wearing these BRD clothes, but I'm actually an archer), or RP as something you can't actually be in game (I'm a reporter). People aren't going to lock you into your game's mechanics, but I would recommend steering clear of other Final Fantasy based classes or jobs, because we never know if they might show up in the game. (Red Mage, Blue Mage, Elementalist, Dancer [as the FFXI class], Samurai, etc).

(12-19-2015, 12:27 PM)Sereh Wrote: Also is there such a thing as casual rp? Where people can join in from time to time. As while I would like to RP I don't want it to be the only thing I do so to speak. I want to progress through the story and do the primals/dungeons and raids etc.

Yes! And you'll commonly find it around towns and settlements. The most common places usually end up being around the three main starter cities and in taverns. There are a lot of smaller areas in the game that are good for simple settings too! Don't be afraid to RP out in the open fields unless the monsters are too high of level.

From my experiences, people tend to keep their PvE stuff separate from their RP stuff. So just because I've gone into say, the Binding Coil of Bahamut and watched all the cutscenes doesn't mean Franz has done any of that. It should be noted that a lot of the things you do for the game's main scenerio quest are specifically tailored to your character being the "chosen one" aka the Warrior of Light, chosen by Hydaelyn. There have been a number of discussions (some heated) about what people as a community feel is acceptable, but honestly, if you're finding the RP you want, then you're RPing the right way. For the most part, the open-world tends to have more people sticking to a lower-fantasy setting (people who aren't WoL, don't have the Echo, aren't going into the dungeons and wrecking stuff, etc) while people keep higher-fantasy stuff (RPing out the main-scenerio, Echo, things that cannot be confirmed with lore from 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0) in smaller groups.

RE: Another new transfer - Faye - 12-19-2015

Hello there, welcome to the RPC! Smile